Christian Historical Fiction discussion

Can you recommend something for me?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure if you have tried Karen Kingsbury, but I love her.

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
Kate, I did not look at your lists, before writing out these suggestions. But I hope that I did find some that you have not read yet...

Karen Kingsbury's books are contemporary and a few series are actually based in Hollywood. She is a best seller and loved by American Readers, but not quite my cup of tea.

A good series that is a combination of contemporary and historical is by author Melanie M. Jeschke. It is the "Inklings Series". It is based in Oxford and has to do with C.S. Lewis' original group known as the Inklings including Tolkien. The first book is in Oxford, the second is in France, and the third is actually during WWII in London. It's a great series.

Another great historical author that stays with the sea is M.L. Tyndall. Some of her really good recent books are The Falcon and The Sparrow and The Red Siren Charles Towne Belle Series, Book 1. There is a bit of suspense, but not enough to be uncomfortable. No more than that of when a Janette Oke/Lori Wick character is kidnapped or lost (if you recall what I mean).

Another fairly new book out there (new series really) that is pretty good (I have only read the first book thus far) is fabulous author Tracie Peterson and the book A Lady of High Regard. But then of course, you could read most any of TP's books and enjoy them. There is always a section of suspense, but Tracie's books are pretty good at not "over-doing" the tragedy.

Another good author who has stories along the same lines as MaryLu Tyndall would be Kathleen Y'Barbo. I highly recommend her Fairweather Keys Series. It is fabulous for some escapism to the Florida Keys. Beloved CastawayBeloved Captive Fairweather Keys Series #2

As for some good Amish Fiction, a good fairly new author is Shelley Shepard Gray with her second book in an Amish series just out from Avon Inspire. The first book is fabulous, and I just got my hands on a copy of the second and really look forward to reading it. HiddenWanted (Sisters of the Heart, Book 2)

And speaking of Avon Inspire, another good series and author from there is Tracey Victoria Bateman and her Westward Hearts Series. Defiant HeartDistant HeartDangerous Heart Each book is about different characters (much like Wick and Oke series) and their journey on the Oregon Trail.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Glad to help. It's what I'm here for. *grin*

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) Kate, here are a few authors that I like:

Sharlene Maclaren Her Little Hickman series is a nice, light read.

Deeanne Gist

Allison K. Pittman

DiAnn Mills

Cathy Marie Hake

My younger sister, who loves Christian fiction, is a big fan of Karen Kingsbury's. I, however, have not read any of her books because most of them seem very sad, and I don't like to read books that make me cry.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Tracie Peterson has two series out that i absolutely love. Belles of Lowell and Lights of Lowell. There's three books in each series and they are amazing! Some of the girls work in the mills, some fight for emancipation, go through issues in the south, ect... Also, if you've never read Lori Wick or Lori Copeland, then you should try them out. Lori Wick does several series set in different eras. Try her Kensington Chronicles and her English Garden Series. They are my favorites of hers. Lori Copeland did the Brides of the West Series. All of them are about Mail Ordered Brides and you meet them all in her first book.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

If you get a chance, read Lori Copeland's newest book from Avon Inspire. It is Twice Loved. Great read!

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 9 comments All of these sound like great books!! I need to read more so I can get "caught up"!!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Lori Copeland also has her Men of the Saddle Series. It goes after the Brides of the West series if I remember correctly. I believe it uses one of the characters introduced in the last book in Brides of the West Series.

Victorianromantic | 8 comments I'm a personal fan of Tamara Alexander (Fountain Creek Chronicles and Timber Ridge Reflections) and Lynn Austin. (Several of my favorties from the latter are The Refiners Fire Trilogy, A Woman's Place and A Proper Pursuit.)

Victorianromantic | 8 comments Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of reading Hidden Places at this moment in fact, and I'm really enjoying it.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments They did a movie version of Hidden Places on the Hallmark channel not long ago.

message 12: by Gale (new)

Gale | 2 comments Brock & Bodie Thoene are wonderful Christian Fiction writers. They have written The Zion Covenent series and the Zion Chronicle series. THe series involves WWII, musicians, Jews, and more.
They have several other series, but I haven't gotten them yet.

message 13: by Gale (last edited Feb 12, 2009 11:13AM) (new)

Gale | 2 comments I believe the Thoenes have also written a poineer Series, I can't remember what it's call, but it was about heading west in America. ALso their son is an excellent author

Happy reading!

Southernbelle0326 | 15 comments I love DeeAnn Gist books, but the best one I think is BRIDE MOST BEGRUDGING. Next to Janette Oke, she is one of my fav authors. I have also enjoyed a book by Cathy Marie Hake called FANCY PANTS and I cant wait to read another book by her. Christian Fiction is my favorite genre along with Historical Fiction. I havent seen your list but do look forward to seeing what you have read.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I loved a Bride Most Begrudging too! She's a good author. I got a couple of her books for Christmas too. Haven't started on them yet, but I will soon.

Victorianromantic | 8 comments The Brides of Culdee Creek, by Kathleen Morgan, are prairie books that are pretty good, in my opinion. They were enjoyable; a pretty easy read, perfect for those awful days with a million and one things going at once, and no time to concentrate. (That's what happened to me, anyhow...;))The English Garden Series fall under the same category, by, if I recall accurately, authored by Lori Wick, except for the setting: England, instead of the Colorado prairie.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I love Lori Wick! Her English Garden series was so good. I love that era! I sometimes think I was born in the wrong era...lol!

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Hahaha! Glad I'm not the only one. ;)

Victorianromantic | 8 comments Lets all time travel. Having the symptoms of being in the wrong century is so challenging.
Eloquent speech, masquerade balls, and fashion that would far surpass anything of today's world...
Sigh.
Guess for now, we're all stuck here... I am going to go work on my time travel machine.
:)

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments When you finish working on it, let us know so we can test it!

message 21: by Margaret (new)

Have you read the Tracie Peterson's Ladies of Liberty Series? I just finished reading all three and they are all fairly good.

message 22: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments I've only read the first book in the Ladies of Liberties series, but I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading the rest in the series. :-)

Victorianromantic | 8 comments Coincedentally, I finished reading the Ladies of Liberty series. It is quite good, although "A Lady of High Regard" seemed unrealistic. Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome book, and I enjoyed it immensley, but things just went to well, I think.

Victorianromantic | 8 comments I don't abide by strict rules in my tastes, and I generally assume, for some peculiar reason, that everyone is the same way..... ooops!!!! :)
I'm all for happy endings, and for good prevailing, but too many things went exactly as planned that i couldnt really believe it or get into the story or the peoples lives.
Then again, I might just be over analyzing the situation, and I just didn't care for that particular book.
Has anyone heard anything as to when the Catherine Palmer series with Miss Pickworth hits the shelves? I believe the title is something to do with a cad. The first two books are The Affectionate Adversary and The Batchelors Bargain,the latter of which is debatebly one of the best books I've read in the passing weeks....Though the feet wasn't nearly as good I have high expectations for the third!

message 25: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 8 comments julie lessmans a passion denied is a great book to read! i am sure you will love it if you have not already read it! all of her books are just so wonderful!

message 26: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette Bonner (lynnettebonner) | 33 comments I'm currently reading a new author, Joanne Bischof. Her book Cry of My Heart is really good. A light historical read that you might enjoy. There is also a give-away of it going on right now here on goodreads.

message 27: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette Bonner (lynnettebonner) | 33 comments No it is in the regular give-aways.

Here is a link to the historical give aways where it is listed. (It is also listed in ChristianFiction and a couple of the other catagories, too.)

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway?gen...

message 28: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette Bonner (lynnettebonner) | 33 comments Sure thing! :) Merry Christmas, everyone!

message 29: by Margaret (new)

I recommend a challenge. http://christianhistoricalfiction.blo...