Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Admin Stuff > Suggestions for Future Categories/Challenges

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,359) (1359 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments This is the place to share ideas on what you categories you would like to see in future challenges. Feel free to come up with as many ideas as you can, because I will always be reading and taking notes.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm already formulating categories for next month's challenge. Some ideas are the following:

Valentine's Day theme
-read a book that has a red cover
-read a bok that has a heart, love or kiss in the title
February
-read a book written by an author whose last name starts with "F"
Love a Friend
-read a book that you found on a friend's goodreads shelf (don't forget to name the friend)

I'm still looking for more suggestions...either for next month or months to come..

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) how about read an author from a certain city. We could vote on a specific city and than find some authors from that city to read.

message 4: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Jael wrote: "how about read an author from a certain city. We could vote on a specific city and than find some authors from that city to read."

I like that, Jael. I've decided that if we picked something like that, we should give out a few suggestions to go with it...so the group won't have that hard a time..not like the way I did it earlier with category 5, but you help me out with that...LOL..

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Wow awesome ideas guys! I cant think of any off the top of my head, but it looks like you guys have it covered so far hehe

message 6: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Jan 12, 2009 08:07PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) well that's what this group is here for to help each other out with selecting books. I would have had a hard time with 5 myself considering there aren't too many AA authors in the PN genre but I lucked out b/c those were recommended to me by someone on my job( I'm not a big romance reader and all the ones I read now are strictly PNR). I find these challenges great because it forces me to go through my pile of books and rediscover what I've not been reading. I continue to add and add and add and forget about the older books

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I know what you mean...I used to read a lot of romance novels..then I stopped reading fiction for almost two years. I came back to reading just recently and almost 90 percent of what I read so far is either PNR or UF.

message 8: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments I am very thankful for these groups :) I get tons of help from you guys about what books to read.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

what about the lead character with a select letter of the Alphabet.

what about one month we have Ghost/Demons books for Halloween?
pick a book with H in the Title.
Have the word Supernatural/witch/ghost written in the book (or something like that)(needs work) :)
have a wolf or vampire in the book
the book must have a male and female lead.
book with a half vampire in it.

this is harder then i thought.. i will keep thinking of ideas.

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Cool ideas, Stephanie. It sounds hard...but its also fun.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

ya it is fun to figure out. its keeping me busy....

:D

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments March-
Book with a Highlander theme (I dunno if St. Paddy's is Irish or Scottish but I know Highlander is Scottish. I don't know if that will be much help. Will edit later.)

Since it is Spring
Book that has title that begins with "S". I like keeping it easy.

Something the color of green on the cover i.e money green apple, clothes the sea etc

message 13: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Great ideas Kenjii...yes, feel free to specify what month you what your ideas to be incorporated in...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz: Thansks. Yes, all those ideas I listed are for March=)

Nichole (Dirrty H) (DirtyH) I was thinking a challenge could be "read a book that you started but never finished and keep meaning to get back to."

I'm sure we all have a few of those. I have a monster at home; I started reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell back in May. I got about halfway through (which is about 600 pages), and I liked it, but I kept getting distracted by other things I wanted to read. It may take a reading challenge to get me through that one!

message 16: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I like that Nichole. I have a few of those type of books, too, mostly those I own, because library books get priority in reading, and I forget to go back and read them.

Nichole (Dirrty H) (DirtyH) That's my problem exactly, Yz. :)

I thought of another - read a book from a genre you've never read before/don't read a lot of.

message 18: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments How about you read a book written by an author that you haven't tried, or you read an anthology.

Kenji, I like your ideas for March :)

message 19: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Good suggestions, Nikki.

Remember some of these will be use in other months, so keep the suggestions going...

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

i have Narnia that i have wanted to read. just haven't found the time.. its a huge book but i think its worth a read. :D or Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr by Christopher Paolini. i bought the books and i do want to read them.. :D

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I have the big book the contains all the Narnia books. I love that series. It was one of those books I picked up to squelch my Potter withdrawals

message 22: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I have all Narnia books too. I stopped reading at book 2...I really need to continue. I also read Eragon..just haven't gotten around to continuing the series.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

oh i would love to read harry potter. i read book one and have seen all the movies so far. so reading it would be nice...

message 24: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Oh..Stephanie..you need to read Harry Potter. The books are way better than the movies..not that the movies are bad. I love the Harry Potter series.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1233 comments Maybe we could do a re-read a childhood favorite? Or just a young adult category?

message 26: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Jan 16, 2009 01:36PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Ok so I got this neat idea it's a Writing Challenge. Actually it's two. One would be an

Add-A-Chapter Challenge- In this challenge we'd vote on a topic to write about (i.e. Vamp/Weres) Each member would turn in a chapter that immediately picks up where another chapter left off(i.e member two's story following with the scheme/plot of member one's chapter) The last member would have the duty of wrapping up the story. Of course we'd have to vote on who goes 1st, 2nd, etc and of course some guidelines would have to be set on how long a chapter would be maybe 5-10 pages

Writing Challenge two
Amatuer Anthology- Just like the first challenge we'd vote on a theme/themes then each member would write a short story,about the themes picked,of their own.

message 27: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Jael,

That's a very neat idea. I'm not a big writer myself, so 5-10 pages might be a stretch for me..but I like the idea. You might want to fine-tuned the concept more.

Why don't you create a thread to discuss the writing challenge concept, and will see what everybody thinks? I think you have something here worth pursuing.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) ok I'll start the thread to see if anyone is interested.

message 29: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Here is another suggestion.. it might be too hard to impliment depending on participation..

I thought about doing it in my group but I am not sure how the response would be so I am going to see if you can pull this off :)

Ok here goes:

Read a book someone else picks.

Sounds simple and then not so much. I was thinking to of a way to pull this off.. we could have sign ups. And each person who signed up would be assigned a name (other then their own of course!) and that person would pick the book for them to read.
Of course the person picking would have to check their library to see what they have read etc.. and the person reading would have to keep their library up to date!
That or they could work it out in private messages or something.

Too complicated? lol

message 30: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Jael wrote: "Ok so I got this neat idea it's a Writing Challenge. Actually it's two. One would be an

Add-A-Chapter Challenge- In this challenge we'd vote on a topic to write about (i.e. Vamp/Weres) Each memb..."

This sounds so interesting!

message 31: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Tricia,

Help me out here. For some reason, I did not understand that. Can you explain it again.

message 32: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 16, 2009 02:40PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Its like secret santa.. where each person picks someone elses name and gets them a gift.

Well instead of getting someone a gift they choose a book for them to read that month :)

message 33: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Hmmm...that sounds very interesting...It's like you get to select a book for another person to read, right?

message 34: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 16, 2009 02:48PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Yes exactly :)

So if we have people interested I am guessing it would have to be on a sign up.

So that only those who sign up will be given out names so that everyone is sure to get a book to read.. and vice versa.. read the book that is chosen for them.

I think too that reviews would be cool to add so that the chooser can see how they liked the book chosen for them! :)

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 367 comments Hehe. Librarians do this all the time, and it's harder than you think to pick a book for someone else to read. We call it readers' advisory. It definitely qualifies as a challenge!

message 36: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments I have another suggestion for a month, read a book with the cheesiest cover, hottest cover or maybe the scariest cover.

I like that idea of someone else choosing a book for you. I think I'd sign up.

message 37: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Cool suggestions, Nikki.

Tricia,

Your suggestion is being received soundly. You want to go ahead and create a thread for it, or do you want me to do it?

message 38: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Which month would you think this be a good challenge? Or we could do it every month!

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Adding to the cover theme...how about a cover with a specific character like a cowboy, a pirate, a vampire, etc...Maybe the character could have a tie in with the month somehow. For instance September 19th is "Talk like a Pirate Day" and July 4th is a big rodeo day so that month you'd have a cowboy. Something kind of like that.

message 40: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Good suggestions, Lori. Tricia, we can do it every month if you like...

message 41: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 16, 2009 05:44PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Wooohooo!

Will make a post and see who signs up for Jan :)

message 42: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments You might want to shoot for Feb...since we are over half of Jan already..

message 43: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Yz wrote: "You might want to shoot for Feb...since we are over half of Jan already.."

Ya, in the least we can see the interest for the game, and then roll it over to Feb if need be :)

message 44: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments sounds like a plan...

message 45: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 86 comments Tricia - I signed up on your thread already.

Lori - I love the cover theme challenge idea..great one!!

Jael - yours really sounds interesting except I am definitely not a writer otherwise that would be great. I wouldn't mind reading it as you guys went along though ( that is if you do it)

message 46: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Ya I loved Jaels and tho I might want to write I am just no good at it so I wonder how thats gonna work out hehe

message 47: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 86 comments I would bomb!!! I do not even pretend to write!! I've heard of others who enjoy writing, reading what they came up with would be a blast!!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) NP guys I always enjoyed writing stories so I thought I find the readers who like to write as well.

message 49: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 86 comments I hope you find a few.That way i can read it!

message 50: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Back to suggestions for future categories in monthly challenges... I came up with a few... Take it or leave it:

- a book with say 9 editions, because it's 2009, or 4 editions because it's April, etc
- a debut novel, first ever written by a given author
- a book that's been made into a movie (but you shouldn't have seen it so far)
- a book where plot stretches over 100 years or more
- a book that the author wrote under a pseudonym

for March:
- something military (because March comes from Mars, Roman god of war)
- something with Ireland in mind (St. Patrick's)
- something feminist with lots of girl power (Women's History Month in US, International Women's Day)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (other topics)
Wicked Pleasure (other topics)
Wicked Pleasure (other topics)
One Bite Stand (other topics)
Just One Bite (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Amanda Quick (other topics)
Jayne Ann Krentz (other topics)
Jayne Castle (other topics)
Rose Tremain (other topics)
Jane Feather (other topics)
More...