Start by marking “These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)” as Want to Read:
These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)

These Witches Don't Burn

(These Witches Don't Burn #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  8,712 ratings  ·  1,862 reviews
Hannah's a witch, but not the kind you're thinking of. She's the real deal, an Elemental with the power to control fire, earth, water, and air. But even though she lives in Salem, Massachusetts, her magic is a secret she has to keep to herself. If she's ever caught using it in front of a Reg (read: non-witch), she could lose it. For good. So, Hannah spends most of her time ...more
Published May 28th 2019 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about These Witches Don't Burn, please sign up.
Isabel Sterling As of right now, release is scheduled for May 28, 2019.

·  8,712 ratings  ·  1,862 reviews

Start your review of These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Uhhhh what? Gay witches?? *queer heavy breathing intensifies*
megs_bookrack
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**3.5-stars rounded up**

When disturbing remnants from a mysterious ritual interrupts the 'end of the school year' bonfire, Hannah suspects a Blood Witch is to blame.

As an Elemental Witch herself, Hannah has been raised to fear Blood Witches, and this horrific act seems to be a sign that one has come to town.

The story alludes to the fact that Hannah had a run in with a Blood Witch on a previous trip to New York City. This altercation truly frightened her and she feels that this same witch may ha
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
excuse me I need this book immediately since it appears to have sapphic witches oh my god??
may ➹

Is it really Pride month if you don’t read a gay witch book?

These Witches Don’t Burn follows an Elemental witch named Hannah, who lives in Salem, Massachusetts. At first it seems like the hardest thing she’ll have to do that summer is avoid her ex-girlfriend, but her problems become much worse when signs of dark magic pops up around town.

This book is filled with intrigue and mystery, as Hannah and her coven faces more and more danger and are forced to figure out the identity of the pers
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer
Ehhhhhhhhh. Not terrible but not great.
Cristina Monica
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: witches
3.5 stars. I’ve been reading so many standalones lately that I almost forgot what it felt like to stumble upon a CLIFFHANGER oh so very unexpectedly after being shot in the heart with multiple revelations one after the other until I had to take my eyes off the book, look around me and whisper to absolutely no one, ‘‘How can the author be so cruel…’’

Well, well. This was much more dramatic than I expected from what I thought looked like a fun and quirky witchy romance. It’s entertaining for sure,
Sien
Jan 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
I am finding mentions of this book everywhere and the only thing I see are “gay witches” but that’s also the only thing I needed to know
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
I see a lot of folks here saying they're excited for a gay witch book, and let me tell you...THIS STORY DELIVERS!!!

I loved it. I'm already ready for the sequel, but I guess I'll have to wait for 2019 to start bugging the author about the next book ;) Maybe.

From unexpected twists to a dynamic and mostly queer cast of characters, there's so much for everyone to love here. Really, well done.
Amy Imogene Reads
4 stars

These Witches Don't Burn? More like these witches don't bore! (Couldn't resist.)

Concept: ★★★
Relationship dynamics:★★★★
Pacing: ★★★★
Enjoyment: ★★★★★

I absolutely loved reading These Witches Don't Burn. Fun, filled with memorable characters, extreme relationship drama, and so well paced it's basically ready for its movie adaptation, this book is a great LGBT+ contemporary read.

Everyone knows the history of Salem, Massachusetts. People went mad and claimed girls were witches, and they killed
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Gay witches? Hell yeah! 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈

When I started this book I was so freaking excited. I read about Elementals, Casters and Blood witches and I was like yeeeeeeees I want to be part of a clan, of a coven.

And a gay main character who loves girls, has problems with her ex-girlfriend and a terrible secret.

And it wasn’t in this utopia world were the lgbt community was absolutely normal.
No, but it was still a better world. And I really liked it. We saw that her parents, her coven, her friends
sofia (sam willows)
Oct 29, 2017 marked it as to-read
sounds gay. just the way I like it
Larry H
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

It’s not easy being a witch these days. That's what I picked up from Isabel Sterling's These Witches Don't Burn , at least.

Being a witch in Salem, Massachusetts may seem like a clichè, but that’s Hannah’s life. As an Elemental witch, she has the power to control fire, water, earth, and air, but she’s forbidden to let any non-witch see her magic. So instead, she spends her time trying to avoid her ex-girlfriend, Veronica (who is also an Elemental), and working at the Fly by Night Cau
Hillary
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Witch-hunt (compound)
Me reading this book and hunting for something other than whiny flat characters who say they can do magic but can’t use their brains for shit.

I want to go back in time and scold my past self for not keeping notes while reading this book because it's been only a week but I already forgot big chunks of what happened. I guess this is indicative of how much I didn't care for this book.

Chapter one starts like a bomb. It dips you completely in the story with two sentences and it
ellie
wow this stole my heart. i love my gay witches 🥺
caitlin ✶
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Edit: I’m disappointing everyone by saying this, but looking back, this was just a bland 3 stars. Nothing wrong with it, & there were stuff to appreciate, but I have zero desire to pick up the sequel, & I think that’s really telling.

If they had any clue what real witches were like, what we’re capable of . . .

They probably wouldn’t sleep very well at night.

When I heard that These Witches Don't Burn was a new release featuring gay witches, I was ine

Jessica
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been devouring adult paranormal romances, but I haven't really been reading any YA paranormal books. When I saw the cover of this one and saw it was about teen witches, I knew I had to pick it up!

Hannah is still hurt over how things ended between her and her ex, but when strange things start happening and signs of a blood witch are popping up, Hannah knows they have more serious problems. As an elemental witch, Hannah has to make sure to hide her own powers while trying to figure out if
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
proving the point that magic is inherently gay, thanks!!!

Blog | Twitter Instagram | Bloglovin | Reads Rainbow
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Not gonna lie, I'm having a hard time writing down some thoughts on this book because I am so overwhelmed with the ending as it featured one of my biggest triggers.
Overall this was really enjoyable read but I expected this to be really fun and it just really wasn't. That is not to say that the book was bad. Not at all. I actually that it is subjectively a pretty great book. It was really action-packed, I loved the magic system and the different kinds of witches.

But here's the thing.. this hit a
Iris
Ooooh this was very fun, and then it took a really dark turn, and fkjhhjgjk I literally binged it in a single sitting and didn't even stop to come upstairs and make it as currently reading which SAYS SOMTHING.

Anyways this was awesome. RTC.
thi
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
2.75/5
- I’ve got perhaps a weird complaint
- The cover does not match the story at all
- listen this tangent is worthwhile
- Books are expensive it’s up to marketing and the synopsis among other factors but to me perhaps the most important is the cover to be eye catching to the right demographic and best represent what kind of story is being sold here
- I’ve never felt so strongly about a misleading cover that screams sort of cute romance unlikely rag tag team when really it’s a supernatural myste
Caidyn (NO LONGER ACTIVE; he/him/his)
I reread this to remember what happened in the first book before I got to the second one. All I can say is I enjoyed it so much and I almost read it in a day. Bumping this up to 4.5/5 and rounding up for Goodreads.

Original (2019) review

CW: homophobia, car crash, death of a family member, use of blood for rituals, and death threats

This book was pure fun. Really, it was. But, that cover is soooo deceiving. It looks all nice and sweet and like some gay rom-com, but there are a lot of serious themes
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Oct 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
The first page itself made me DNF this book. Yes, I tried reading the second and third page too. It made my DNF page resolve stronger! The characters are so 'Mean Girls' wannabe and the dialogues are so superficial that I had to stop reading this one.
Rebecca McNutt
These Witches Don't Burn is one of many YA occult novels to hit the scene this year (it seems to be a new trend, especially those with diverse characters). It's a thrilling, exciting and ultimately endearing story about a teen witch facing supernatural drama, but also the drama that comes with relationships. Very much in the vein of books like Sabrina the Teenage Witch and The Babysitters Coven, this story looks at witches in a more contemporary light.

I liked the concepts of an "elemental witch"
maddi
Jan 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
is this for the gays??
Lisa Kuhn
This book is a mess. The plot and characters are shallow and not at all believable.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I LOVED this. The cast and plot and setting and mystery was just what I wanted. Nothing was too much but I also didn't feel like I was missing context or information. That's pretty mind blowing to me since this is a debut and by no means a long book.

Right off the bat, let's acknowledge the queer rep. We have an out lesbian main character, her ex-girlfriend (who I don't remember how she identified but is only in F/F romances in this book), a key side character is bisexual (own voices) who enters
lu ☾
Jan 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
did i hear sapphic witches
☁️ quinn ✨
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star, read-in-2019
i just finished this book last night and i can honestly say it was one of the worst things i’ve ever read in my life. i’m not going to hold back at all in this review. so many things were wrong with it that i really don’t know where to start, but i’ll try.

first of all, the plot. was so. fucking. stupid. it felt more like an episode of riverdale than a shocking and atmospheric book about teen witches. hannah, the mc, is absolutely fucking insufferable. there isn’t anything interesting about her a
⭐ Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees ⭐
I love witches! I love gays! I hate this book.

1. My first issue is Hannah constantly reminding us that Veronica is her ex. "My ex" is a phrase that doesnt need repeating.

2. Interactions between characters seem forced. Dialogue is weak.

3. *spoiler* of course the witch hunter is male! Because that isn't overdone 🙄 There was a real chance for the author to tackle toxic masculinity here and it just didnt happen.

4. I'm sure there is more, but I am going to go watch Motherland so I can erase this
Diana
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vid review available January, 1st, 2020 here: https://youtu.be/n2suL_B17z0 ...more

• Ostatnia godzina
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • The Falling in Love Montage
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Felix Ever After
  • Wilder Girls
  • Żółte ślepia
  • The Henna Wars
  • The Lost Coast
  • We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • When We Were Magic
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
Isabel Sterling is an LGBTQ advocate and educator by day and a YA author by night. When she’s not writing about magic and murder, Isabel can be found lost in a good book, marathoning her favorite shows, or relaxing by the lake. She lives in central NY with her wife and their brood of furry children: cats Oliver and December and a beagle-mix named Lily.

These Witches Don't Burn (2 books)
  • This Coven Won't Break (These Witches Don't Burn, #2)

Articles featuring this book

While we usually think of fall and Halloween as the time for spooky books, witchy teens are undeniably having a major moment right now. No fewer...
“She'll never understand. The realization washes all the fight out of me, leaving behind only heartache. I gently pull my wrist from her grip. "Because," I say, my voice so soft it's nearly swallowed up by the trees, "I'm standing here, telling you how much you hurt me, and you can't hear it." Tears fill my eyes. I've lost the strength to hide them. "You broke my heart, and you didn't even notice. How can I ..." My throat closes up, I look away. "How could I ever trust you to put the pieces back together?” 16 likes
“That’s what they say. All things considered. They tell me it’s a miracle I didn’t suffer tremendous burns. That I’m lucky. Blessed even. I need a new T-shirt : someone tried to kill me, and all I got was this stupid concussion. But the real injuries won’t show up on their scans.

I think they know that.”
7 likes