YA Book Council discussion

General Discussion > Best book you've read in 2008

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (last edited Jan 11, 2009 07:40PM) (new)

Jane (janeg) | 248 comments Mod
Hi all YABC members! I asked this during the Wildwood Dancing meeting. What's the best book you've read in 2008?

message 3: by Aric (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:52AM) (new)

Aric M. (aricmazick) | 1 comments I just read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and I could not put it down. It was excellent, I can't wait for the sequel!

message 4: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments Shadow of the Wind is up for the Newberry, isn't it? Hmmmm... I'll have to look over my list!!

OH! Yeah. Probably My Bonny Light Horseman.

Others: The Plucker, Little Brother, The Underneath (can't believe this isn't up for the Newberry!), The Hunger Games, Schooled... *sigh*

message 5: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 246 comments Mod
Clix wrote: "Shadow of the Wind is up for the Newberry, isn't it?

I think it came out too long ago to be up for a Newbery, plus it's an adult novel. It's actually been around for at least 5 years! Paperback came out in 2005.

I'm going to go with Shadow of the Wind, too. I think if I had read it before Poison Study, it would have gone down to 2nd place.

Favorite book that was published in 2008: Pretty Monsters.

message 6: by Jane (new)

The Newbery is also only awarded to American authors. =(

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13 comments Isn't the Newberry only for books published during the year. So we have to choose something that hit the press in 2008?

If that's so then I pick - Graceling!

message 8: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments Wahoo! Okay, so I went to the library last night and picked up Graceling AND Pretty Monsters AND... bah, it's at home, but a BUNCH of stuff. YAY!!!!

message 9: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 246 comments Mod
Clix wrote: "Wahoo! Okay, so I went to the library last night and picked up Graceling AND Pretty Monsters AND... bah, it's at home, but a BUNCH of stuff. YAY!!!!"

Yay, Clix!!! Read like the wind!!!

cheeseflavoredcorncurls | 12 comments Clix wrote: "Wahoo! Okay, so I went to the library last night and picked up Graceling AND Pretty Monsters AND... bah, it's at home, but a BUNCH of stuff. YAY!!!!"

how come your libraries got so many good books? and new ones? :( our library sucks. eheh. im gonna have to go with shadow of the wind also. but i also really liked the book of lost things. :)

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen | 15 comments Mine was ... hmm, the Lioness saga from Tamora Pierce maybe - though Poison Study comes before that... but that might not be a YA book. :)

Jen

message 12: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments Cheeseflavoredcorncurls wrote: "how come your libraries got so many good books? and new ones?..."

Partly because I ask for them. They still don't have Poison Study. :( And I doubt the school library has it.

Eh well, NBD... I shouldn't be asking for more books at this point when I've got huge piles to read!

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelamclaughlin) Bloddy Jack series by L. A Meyer

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 3 comments Magician by Michael Scott

message 16: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Cole (bookwink) The best I read in 2008 may possibly be one of the best books I have ever read EVER! The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I want to give this book to everyone I know over the age of 11.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore is a close second. Both sequels are coming next Fall. Yay!

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Goodall (booklady1) I have to agree about The Hunger Games. It is haunting and quite fantastic. The other one for me is Exodus by Julie Bertagna along with its sequel, Zenith. I don't know yet if there will be a third, but I sure wish there would be.

I have heard so many good things about Graceling. It is on my list to read soon.

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey Ditto for Hunger Games.

message 19: by Jane (new)

Ditto for both Hunger Games and Graceling. Shadow of the Wind, Hunger Games, Graceling, and the Study Series are all on my top 5 of 2008.

cheeseflavoredcorncurls | 12 comments i cant find a copy of graceling anywhere. urg!

message 21: by Jane (new)

Boo! I think you'll really like it too!