Read a book from each country discussion

Europe > Ukraine

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abi (new)

Abi Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov

message 2: by Leala (new)

Leala Chan | 1 comments Wave of Terror by Theodore Odrach. Fascinating book detailing atrocities committed by Stalin on average citizens after the signing of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact in 1939.

message 3: by Anna (new)

message 4: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 11 comments Nervous People by Mikhail Zoshchenko (Ukrainian but wrote in Russian).

message 5: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 18 comments Moonlight in Odessa by Janet Skeslien Charles.
Moonlight in Odessa A Novel

message 6: by Oksana (new)

Oksana | 4 comments The country is called Ukraine, not The Ukraine, it's not an island, FYI

message 7: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 11 comments Ukraine vs the Ukraine - article sums it all up. http://www.infoukes.com/faq/the_ukraine/

message 8: by Oksana (new)

Oksana | 4 comments Sho wrote: "The correction is useful. The incorrect but rather widespread use of the "the" seems to be declining. The whole time I was growing up in the US, it was generally referred to as "the Ukraine." I hav..."

I meant that you use 'the' before a country name in case if the country is or consists of islands, with some exceptions, of course.
One more link: http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/articl...
And the article on infoukes.com does indeed sum it all up.

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Those countries that demand the definite article must simply be learned. When you tackle a new language you don't analyze, you just learn the rules. The same phenomenon occurs with French; you just plain have to memorize for which countries and in which situations you must use a definite article. I am wondering a bit if the French grammatical rules are a hangover in those countries which were French colonies. It is even more complicated in French - there you also have the partitive artcles to consider.