SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

General Discussion > "Well, That's New!" {A Chat About Original Storylines, Characters & Worlds}

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments O•rig•i•nal |əˈrijənl|
adj. Not dependent on other people's ideas; inventive and unusual

Syn. innovative, creative, imaginative, inventive; new, novel, fresh, refreshing; unusual, unconventional, unorthodox, groundbreaking, pioneering, avant-garde, cutting-edge, unique, distinctive

Do ya ever... get the feeling that you're reading the same story over and over and over and over again? Have ya ever... come across a book that stops you in your tracks because of its fresh, new, fun storyline, characters, world, etc?

In the world of the paranormal and fantastical it must be extremely hard to come up with something truly original. The market is flooded with vamps, angels, demons, ghosts, shifters and now dystopian and post-apocalyptic worlds. But, sometimes, amidst the masses, we will stumble upon something that stands out above the rest. The remainder of the time, like with all other forms of addiction, we search and read book after book hoping to find that "Well, that's new!" high once more.

Share your "new" finds here! Be sure to share what make the books unique.

message 2: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments This is an "old" new find, but the Weather Warden Series by Rachel Caine was one for me. I hadn't read many stories with djinn in them, and the weather control/element control aspect was refreshingly for me. Also, the basically two types of djinn with the djinn divided into two "situations" (captive and non-). Now, I'm finding more similar things, but at that time, it was quite different.
Weather Warden Collection: Chill Factor, Windfall, Ill Wind, Heat Stroke, Firestorm, Thin Air
Starting with Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine

message 3: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments good one,Judithe

message 4: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments :D

message 5: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments OK...and Kate Daniels has to be another one (magic is up, then tech is up...and those vamps *shiver*...among other things). Psy-Changelings was one, too. (Psy "rankings", tri-division of futuristic world).

Nothing more recent comes to mind at the moment....

Firsts for those:
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh

message 6: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments I think before there were Psy, there was St.Helens! Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1) by Jayne Castle

message 7: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I think 'The Disillusionists Trilogy' is really original, with the whole attacking people's mind and the abilities such as fear and hopelessness.

Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1) by Carolyn Crane Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2) by Carolyn Crane Head Rush (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #3) by Carolyn Crane

message 8: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I agree with the world in Kate Daniels, love the originality! I love 'The Edge' world as well - that was the first thing that drew me into reading On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews (even before the Kate Daniels series, weird huh?).

The Psy-Changeling is such an awesome world. Who would've thought that putting together the sci-fi Psy with shifters would've worked? It's such an odd combination but somehow it works. So even if the actual powers such as telekinesis is nothing new, the whole world structure is. It's almost like mixing genres.

message 9: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Disillusionists is one I have on hand to read...have to bump it up!

message 10: by Sandra J (last edited Jun 16, 2012 05:51AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments I found The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1) by L.J. McDonald world and characters to be different. There are three books in the series, I think. These tend more to the fantasy side than the PNR side of things although there's romance in the series.

message 11: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments That looks interesting...*click...another one on TBR*

Checking it out, there are titles up to book 6, but not yet released...looks like more to enjoy coming up!

message 12: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Jun 16, 2012 03:26PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments Good ones! I have a few of those on my "original" list as well, esp Disillusionists . That storyline was a nice surprise. I'd have to say the same for Pettersson's Signs of the Zodiac series, which consists of superheroes - good and bad, of course. :)

Love the power up/down aspect to Kate Daniels and the "magic lines" in The Edge . And, no matter how many PNRs I read, Psy-Changelings continues to be one of the most unique and well-written. I like how Nalini's Guild Hunters series has vampires as scary and created by angels, which was a new twist on vamps for me. At the time (2008/09), Karen Chance's Dorina Basarab was the first dhampir (1/2 human-1/2 vamp) I'd ever read, at least I think so, which was/is a fun twist on a vamp character for me.

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll scan my read lists for some others.

I have, but haven't read, St. Helen's or Slyph. Both good series?

message 13: by Lis (last edited Jun 16, 2012 03:51PM) (new)

Lis | 3550 comments I started as a vamp gal with Mz Rice and Lestat, so when a series that has a twist on the vamps comes out that is creative and different, I love it.

More recent ones were the Griffith's VAMPIRE EMPIRE - The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, #1) by Clay Griffith
Dianne Sylvan's SHADOW WORLD - Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1) by Dianne Sylvan
Delilah Dawson's BLUD - Wicked As They Come (Blud, #1) by Delilah S. Dawson

Of course, Singh's GUILD HUNTERS was a twist and my first Dhampire was Riley from Keri Arthur's RILEY JENSON series.

message 14: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3550 comments And Stacia Kane's DOWNSIDE GHOSTS Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane

message 15: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments Good ones, Lis! Completely agree. Oh, yeah, how could I forget Riley?? My fave! I read her first book in 2006, so she was definitely my first dhampire, just 1/2 vamp 1/2 were (vs. human).

Downside is another perfect example of original.

Love this thread ~ keep 'um comin'. It's helping me remember there ARE indeed some very original and fun series TBR. :D

message 16: by PM (new)

PM (personalmiracle) | 5 comments Don't you think Richelle Mead's Succubus Blues series was unique?

message 17: by Sandra J (last edited Jun 17, 2012 05:24AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments Steph, I liked the Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1) by Jayne Castle series, but then I like most everything this author has written. I liked the world she created, but I think the Harmony world in the After Dark (Harmony, #1) by Jayne Castle is better and more original. I used to read a good deal of fantasy back in the day, and I have to say I thought The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1) by L.J. McDonald was really different and really good.

message 18: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments Hi, PM. If Mead's Georgina Kincaid series was the first I'd read featuring a succubus, I would have felt it to be unique in that respect.

Sandra J, I have not read any books by Jayne Castle or any of her pseudos either (Jayne Ann Krentz and Amanda Quick). But, I do have a few stragglers from those series around somewhere. I did spot her newest PNR Copper Beach at the library.

message 19: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments I liked that one. It's a contemporary, and it isn't connected to her Arcane series. I rather think it's the beginning of a contemporary trilogy; but all her books are stand alones although there well might be an overarching plot that runs through a group. I don't usually care for HR except for Amanda Quick. Her new one, Crystal Gardens (Ladies of Lantern Street, #1) by Amanda Quick , is also a paranormal unconnected to the Arcane Society.

message 20: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3550 comments Now I'm interested too. Those have been sitting on my shelf for a couple years and I haven't checked them out. I was tempted to work Amaryllis in for an A in a couple of challenges, but usually go for Arthur instead. Shame on me!

message 21: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments LOL! I first picked up Zinnia for an A-Z title challenge....quite enjoyed it!

message 22: by Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ (last edited Jun 18, 2012 04:07PM) (new)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 8449 comments Faith Hunter's Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter series has a interesting blend of two-natured being. I like that Jane has conversation with Beast and gets feedback in her investigations.

I especially liked The Shattered Sylph (Sylph, #2) by L.J. McDonald , working around commands and beating the system.

message 23: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments Yeah, Sandra, I'm not typically a CR or HR fan. Well, I like some, but prefer some kinda paranormal in my books. Either that or blatant smut. LOL!

Good one, Val, Jane Yellowrock is a great example. Beast kinda bugged me in the beginning of the series, but now I enjoy the convos between Beast and Jane. I also like how more is revealed about the two with each book.

message 24: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3550 comments The Jane Yellowrock books are good in audio too. Once you get past the "me beast, you Jane" cave woman speak.

message 25: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments LOL! That's a great way to describe it. I'll have to check for those at the library and maybe do a re-read.

message 26: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments The heroine in Thea Harrison's Devil's Gate (Elder Races, #4.6) by Thea Harrison is unusual, to say the least. She's a medusa with snakes all over her head. I'm not fond of snakes, but these were almost cute.

message 27: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments I enjoyed that one, Sandra J. She was the first medusa I'd read about. Similarly, Thea's djinn Khalil was the first djinn I'd read about (that was a main character of the story).

message 28: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments And how about the heroine in True Colors (Elder Races #3.5) by Thea Harrison ? She's a chameleon. Thea Harrison has certainly come up with some different characters. I have Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison , but I haven't read it yet.

message 29: by Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ (last edited Jun 20, 2012 06:14AM) (new)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 8449 comments Any other books with Djinn in them? The only other book I ever read was a romance/erotica, the world building was very nice. I really wanted the author to expand on the society power structure but the sex scenes were awful. The cover was what got me try it.
Ghostland (Ghostland World, #1) by Jory Strong

message 30: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Jun 20, 2012 06:45AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments That's right. Yes, she does :)

Val, the other djinn I can remember off the top of my head was in A Brush of Darkness, but he didn't have a huge part. (view spoiler)

I think I have that one, Val. I haven't read it though. The cover is beautiful.

ETA: I did a quick search in my book database and found these books w/or about djinn:

All of Rachel Caine's Weather Warden and Outcast Season books contain djinn.

Djinn by Poppet The Djinn's Dilemma by Mina Khan Blood of the Wolf (Cruentus Dragons, #3) by Brynn Paulin Bound To Seduction (Firebrand #1) by Elisabeth Naughton Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1) by Sonya Bateman Red Demon (Gods of Midnight, #3) by Deidre Knight Aftershocks (Storm Lords #4) by Marie Harte Unbound by Kay Danella

message 31: by Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ (last edited Jun 20, 2012 07:06AM) (new)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 8449 comments Other series but they are fantasy: Night Angel The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks and Demon cycle The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1) by Peter V. Brett .

message 32: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments Night Angel is really good!

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 8449 comments Sorry for the shopping list.

Alternate reality or alternate history
V (Vamp) W (Were) G (Golem)
Dying Bites by by D.D. Barant V W G (world population is 1/3 V,W,G and humans are less than 1%, now your're FBI profiler from another reality will solve our serial killer problem or you'll never go back to your reality)
Vampire Hunter D Volume 01 by Hideyuki Kikuchi (Asian writer, lots of fight description Japanese anime style, main character tall, beautiful silent type (like speaks 10 sentences in the whole books), no sex) V
The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson (retelling a an asian myth)

Paranormal- misc. vamps, weres, sorcerers, necromancer, demons, ghost, etc.
Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland (summoner)
Sunshine by Robin McKinley V
Minion by L.A. Banks (boyfriend gets recruited in hell to damn his girlfriend, talk about awkward)

Paranormal- Female heroines
Greywalkerby Kat Richardson V
Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin V and demons
Grave Witch by Kalayna Price
The Turning by Jennifer Arminstrout

message 34: by Lis (last edited Jun 20, 2012 03:15PM) (new)

Lis | 3550 comments Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ wrote: "Any other books with Djinn in them? The only other book I ever read was a romance/erotica, the world building was very nice. I really wanted the author to expand on the society power structure but ..."

The Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine mentioned earlier has steamy Djinn.

message 35: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Jun 20, 2012 04:20PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ wrote: "Sorry for the shopping list."

Suuuuure ya are. >;)

message 36: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 171 comments A different take on vampires (wings like angels) plus levels of worlds:
The World of Ascension by Caris Roane
Ascension (The World of Ascension #1) by Caris Roane Burning Skies (The World of Ascension #2) by Caris Roane Wings of Fire (World of Ascension, #3) by Caris Roane Born of Ashes (The World of Ascension #4) by Caris Roane Obsidian Flame (The World of Ascension, #5) by Caris Roane Gates of Rapture (World of Ascension, #6) by Caris Roane
Supernaturals with various powers:
ACRO by Sydney Croft (Larissa Ione and Stephanie Tyler)

Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1) by Sydney Croft Unleashing the Storm (ACRO, #2) by Sydney Croft Seduced by the Storm (ACRO, #3) by Sydney Croft Taming the Fire (ACRO, #4) by Sydney Croft Tempting the Fire (ACRO, #5) by Sydney Croft Taken by Fire (ACRO, #6) by Sydney Croft

message 37: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 41 comments I really like Heart Mate (Celta's Heartmates, #1) by Robin D. Owens . It is a magic based world with wonderful animals. It is not the same old same old.

Great series.

message 38: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3550 comments Another different storyline I discovered in my quest for "dragon" themed books for our year of the dragon challenge was the Dragon Wars series.
Dragon Warrior by Shéa MacLeod Dragon Lord (Dragon Wars, #2) by Shéa MacLeod

message 39: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments I've added those to my wishlist, Lis, thanks!