Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Terminalcoffee for group members who haven't been on Terminalcoffee lately (NYC is not filthy, says fans)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Some of you may have noticed I haven't been around here much. Or may you haven't noticed. Regardless...I won't go into my reasons for not having been here much, but I'm probably going to spend more time here.

In other words, I stopped coming here, and now I realize I've really missed being here.

So what's been going on? Looks like I missed a Mix CD swap. Damn!

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
I've missed you being around Gus!

I was listening to m.i.a. just yesterday and thinking about you. :) Dirty Uncle Gus!

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Gus, Heidi called you old in a thread not long ago.

Goddamn, I've been waiting so long to tattle on her.

Welcome back! Glad you're here!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sally, is Gus really too late for the CD swap? I know we're right at the deadline, but weren't we still waiting for Noran's?

message 5: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Yeah, I was wondering that, too.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

We are waiting on a few people, Noran being one of them. Everyone sent me 13 CDs and I only have eight piles.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I would love another Gus mix! And didn't you just have your iPod randomly construct a mix for you, Gus? Doing that again would take no time at all, right?

message 8: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Have the people we're still waiting on been bugged lately about the delay? ('Cause I'll totally do that if you need me to.)

message 9: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I put together a mix CD swap on another "social networking site"...*COUGH*...but if you need another, let me know; the mix I put together for the last swap kicked ass, in my humble opinion.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm just being lazy, and not doing my part to keep things going. I will this afternoon, right after my nap.

If you want to participate, Gus, I'll PM you my address, I'm sure that it would work out fine if we snuck one more disc in w/ the established postage!

message 11: by Heidi (last edited Jan 09, 2009 01:36PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments REALLY!?? Cuz I totally have a mix that I've just thrown together for the NEXT CD swap. And I just assumed I've missed all the recent ones...

message 12: by Heidi (last edited Jan 09, 2009 01:37PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RA, you suck. Tattletale. I was just trying to provoke a response from Gus who's been noticeably absent from everything lately.

message 13: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments But then if we added over the amount of cds that we already sent then doesn't someone get shorted? Actually, I have no idea if that's correct, and my brain hurts so I can't do math in it right now. It just seems like it would throw something off... But that's only if everyone who said he or she would does send their mix. Otherwise the new additions can take the place of the missing ones.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

true, Minds. My brain hurts too. I don't know what to do about the people who have gone missing.

message 15: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) What were you trying to provoke, Heidi? TELL ME!

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I was trying to get you to make an appearance here, Gus. That's all.

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (dreamelis) | 53 comments Hey. I've been trying to find a good spot to introduce myself. There were a lot of interesting threads, but with 30+ responses, I thought mine might get lost in the shuffle/ be pretty redundant. So I'm Danielle. I'm really excited about this CD swap deal. I'll definitely be on the lookout for the next one. I LOVE finding new music and introducing other people to new music. Making mixes is one of my absolute favorite things to do, and it just so happens that I've recently found a whole bunch of pretty good new stuff to spread the word about :D

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Danielle, and who knows you may be able to get in on this one.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hi Danielle! Welcome to TC...glad you're here.

message 20: by Charly (new)

Charly Welcome Danielle, always good to see others from the northeast in the mix.

message 21: by Jessica (last edited Jan 11, 2009 03:37PM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) hey Danielle, welcome. we're neighbors (sort of).

(I guess listening so much to WAMC out of Albany makes me think so...)

message 22: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Whoa, whoa! This thread is about me!

Oh, bugger...hi Danielle. Welcome.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Gus, Gus, Gus, Gus, Gus, Gus, Gus, Gus...

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Wow, Jessica. I used to listen to WAMC when absolutely NOBODY listened to FM radio, and all they played was classical music. How old does that make me?

message 25: by Danielle (last edited Jan 11, 2009 06:27PM) (new)

Danielle (dreamelis) | 53 comments Oh, the Berkshires definitely makes you a neighbor, Jessica. I still have to drive to Long Island and back with relative frequency, so 45 minutes is nothing!

message 26: by Heidi (last edited Jan 12, 2009 06:32AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments ::waves with a big hearty whole arm kind of wave to say hello to Danielle::

Hi Danielle!

I loved visiting the Berkshires. :) I was up in your neck of the woods a couple of summers ago. I spent two weeks there and followed it up with a visit in Manhattan where I stayed with a friend for a few days. I didn't want to come home. I fell in love with the area!

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Yeah it's nice in the summer. I won't say any more.

message 28: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (dreamelis) | 53 comments I really like the Berkshire's. They've got Tanglewood, great antiquarian bookstores, and a great sushi place. What more do you need?

But Manhattan, of course, is a city unto itself. Truly none other like it. Not that I've been to every major city in the world, but I'm convinced that none can make you feel as alive as Manhattan.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Cultural center of the planet -- both the very very good, and ....

message 30: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I've been to many major cities throughout the world. I love several of them - San Francisco, Chicago, Amsterdam, Buenos Aires - but none make me feel alive as my home town of NYC.

message 31: by Heidi (last edited Jan 12, 2009 07:41AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments :) The Central Park MiniRegatta on a Sunday afternoon... my fave memory of the place.

There was a time when I could've said that about my hometown, New Orleans... :'(

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

NYC makes me want a shower.

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I know what you mean, Sally.

message 34: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Can you both be specific, please? What is it about NYC that makes you want a shower?

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments It's dirty.

message 36: by Heidi (last edited Jan 12, 2009 10:54AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments New Orleans is dirty (esp. after Mardi Gras). New York City has character.

message 37: by Félix (last edited Jan 12, 2009 10:40AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Potayto, potahto.

message 38: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Wow, that's all you got?

Do you need to eat your food off the sidewalks?

Whatever. That's a flimsy reason. There are plenty of big cities that are dirty; doesn't make them bad places.

Perhaps next time you should visit NYC wearing a hazmat suit, if being somewhere "dirty" bothers you.

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Yikes! Touchy!

Just because the place makes me want to take a shower doesn't make it a bad place. I like shower after other activities that are pleasurable.

message 40: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Yes, I am touchy about that. I'm sick of people claiming NYC to be dirty, when it really isn't.

Calcutta is dirty. NYC isn't dirty.

Sex makes me want to shower. That, and a nice workout at the gym.

message 41: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Walking outside when it's 100+ degrees and 50% humidity makes me wanna shower (read: August in Texas). I like showers, though. Showers are AWESOME!

message 42: by Heidi (last edited Jan 12, 2009 10:57AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Seriously... that's another misperception/misguided generalization. I thought New York was lovely and seemed considerably cleaner than I expected it to be (based on what I'd heard up until I visited - I expected roaches, rats, bird poop, dog poop, and lots of scum everywhere). Boston seemed impeccably clean - like a OCDer's dream.

message 43: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I haven't lived in a large city for eleven years, and I haven't been to NYC in about as long. But big cities wear me out now. I can't keep up with the pace, the traffic, etc. So I choose not to live there. Although I like to visit.

I sometimes wonder what I would choose if I had to live way out in the middle of nowhere (say, central Montana) or in the heart of a major city.

I don't have an answer yet.

message 44: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Toronto is ridiculously clean. It's like they've hired an army of maids to clean the streets every hour on the hour with every kind of industrial cleaner known to man.

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I think I'd like that.

message 46: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Are, um, the maids, um, in uniform? Because that might increase tourism. I'm just sayin'.

message 47: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) The maids are all dressed in hockey jerseys with Molson as their corporate sponsors. Also, they listen to Rush while they clean.

message 48: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I have always thought that if I lived in Canada I would enjoy Montreal. Except for the froid.

shellyindallas I've been to NYC three times now and I swear I showered twice a day. When you use the subway, your fingernails get all kinds of gunk under them. Also it was cold one time I went, and I got sniffles and when I would blow my nose or spit, my snot would have black shit in it. A friend of mine lived in Brooklyn for six years and came down w/ exzema. No dermatologist there could help her. She would fly home to Dallas just to see her family doctor and get cream. Finally, she moved to Portland and it totally cleared up.

The first time I went to NYC was in 1991, and I would see people waiting to cross the street that would be eating and just throw their wrappers on to the street. The next two times I went were both after 9/11, and it was considerably tidier. No trash on the ground or anything. But the air there, and the subways...not clean.

Still I had fun. You can't deny it's an exciting town to be in.

message 50: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (dreamelis) | 53 comments It's MUCH cleaner than it used to be. Much safer too, although I think there were only brief periods when it was nearly as bad as it was made out to me in that respect.

It may not be clean by certain people's standards, but few big cities are. Canadian cities are one of the few exceptions. Most of them are incredibly clean. But in fairness, let's remember that there are barely more than half the people in Canada's largest city that there are in NYC. More people DOES make it more difficult to keep a place tidy. Just look at the aftermath of a big party vs. a cozy gathering.

Eh, not denying NYC has faults, but I still say you can't beat it. I'll never forget my first trip into Manhattan unchaperoned by an adult. When I walked out of Penn Station, I was immediately so filled with awe and a sense of possibility that I knew, standing there with my mouth open, staring at everything, that I looked like I was in a really overly dramatic scene in a movie. But I still get that feeling every time I'm there.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.