Food and Fiction. discussion

Fiction > What are you reading right now

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 92 comments Mod
Use this discussion to tell us what you are reading now and what you think of it.

message 2: by Dianne (new)

Dianne I just got The House of Velvet and Glass back from the library and am on pg 244 I am hoping it gets better

message 3: by Sariann (new)

Sariann Lehrer (choppedginger) | 11 comments I've just started The Secret Historyand I'm already in love with the prose. I may be entering and American Gothic phase, any recommendations?

message 4: by Maria (last edited Jun 16, 2012 06:41AM) (new)

I've just started reading The Moonstone. I'm not gripped yet but I'm sticking with it 'cos it just goes against the grain to not finish a book once I've started and I really need to finnish 'cos I really want to read Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams which I've just bought.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Too much at one time!! LOL

message 6: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 20, 2012 04:04PM) (new)

Ava Catherine Whiskey Sour Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1) by J.A. Konrath J.A. Konrath
Just started it. It has a recipe for a whiskey sour on page1. Sounds good to me! : )

message 7: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 21, 2012 12:59PM) (new)

Ava Catherine Just finished I Scream, You Screama cozy mystery with ice cream recipes and ice cream sundae recipes. I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1) by Wendy Lyn Watson byWendy Lyn Watson

Finished Whiskey Sourand it was pretty good once you got past the violence. There are a few really graphic violent scenes that bothered me, but I pushed through those. I really like the main character--a tough, independent, sassy, woman.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Finally I've finished 'The Moonstone', so I've now started Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams by Jenny Colgan . I'll let you know what I think.

message 9: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jul 01, 2012 10:42PM) (new)

message 10: by Sariann (new)

Sariann Lehrer (choppedginger) | 11 comments I'm reading The Sherlock Holmes Victorian Cookbook. Interesting amalgamation of fact and fiction.

message 11: by Maria (new)

Can't seem to find out much about The Sherlock Holmes Victorian Cookbook. What's it about? Does it have recipes? I'd imagine it does.

message 12: by Sariann (new)

Sariann Lehrer (choppedginger) | 11 comments It's full of recipes! Most of which appear to be modernisations of Mrs Beeton recipes or versions of Jane Grigson. It's mostly extrapolation on Victorian society from what we read in the Holmes stories, but the chapter introductions have some interesting food culture info. But overall, could have been way cooler!

message 13: by Maria (new)

Shame it wasn't as good as it could have been. Still sounds interesting.

message 14: by Maria (last edited Jul 07, 2012 10:36AM) (new)

I've just started reading Dolci di Love by Sarah-Kate Lynch . Been wanting to read it for ages. I've loved all Sarah-Kate Lynch's other books so I have high expectations for this one. See the group bookshelf for her other books.

message 15: by Maria (last edited Jul 10, 2012 08:44AM) (new)

Just finished Dolci di Love by Sarah-Kate Lynch ,here is my review.
I've loved Sarah-Kate Lynch's other books so had high expectations for this one and it didn't disappoint. A lovely story of Lily's journey through love,loss,finding herself and her husbands other family, forgiveness, love again and a wonderful happy ending. Set mostly in Italy in the mountaintop village of Montevedova where the League of widowed Darners, a secret society, works behind the scenes to matchmake and mend broken hearts. The characters were believable and sympathetic, even the cheating Daniel.
Unlike Sarah-Kate's other books the food didn't feature as largely as I expected however it was still a vital part of the story.
I love foodie books and books about Italy so to have both in one is a sure fire hit as far as I'm concerned, I loved it.

message 16: by Maria (new)

Started reading Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran yesterday. Really enjoying it. I'll let you know what I think when I've finished.

message 18: by Maria (new)

Hi Connie, I read A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail a while back and really enjoyed it but then I love Bill Bryson. I think my favourite of his books is At Home: A Short History of Private Life. It's absolutely fascinating. He must do so much research.

message 19: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jul 17, 2012 12:11PM) (new)

Ava Catherine Maria, I really liked A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail. I have not read any of his other books, but I am going to try At Home: A Short History of Private Life since you have recommended it and because I enjoy his writing style. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 20: by Maria (last edited Jul 27, 2012 12:22PM) (new)

Great, please let me know what you think of it Connie. Also what did you think of Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran . I've just read it but haven't had the time to write a review yet.

message 21: by GIZMO (new)

GIZMO (gizmosterriertorrent) | 4 comments just starting "The American Way of Eating" by Traci McMillan....will let you know how I liked it

message 22: by Maria (new)

I ran out of books to read at my mums last weekend so had to borrow one from her. It'sTo Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York. To be honest it's not great. If you want to read about the Tudors stick toPhilippa Gregory.

message 23: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine I love Pomegranate Soup Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran Marsha Mehran. It is a delightful book about relationships and how food is an integral part of our histoy and our relationships. I am looking forward to reading other books by this author.

message 24: by Maria (new)

Connie wrote: "I love Pomegranate SoupPomegranate Soup by Marsha MehranMarsha Mehran. It is a delightful book about relationships and how food is an integral part of our histoy and our relationships. I am looking forw..."

Glad you enjoyed it Connie, so did I.
I've just finished To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York. Gave it two stars. I'm going to read The Love Goddess' Cooking School by Melissa Senate next.