Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Found a great website, good for quick reviews

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Red (new)

Red Harvey (seansgirl329) | 10 comments While looking at different Facebook pages, I discovered a great website for new writers. It's called page99test.com, and writers upload a book synopsis along with page 99 of their book. Readers vote on whether they would 'turn the page' from the preview, while providing comments. Check it out, and upload your page 99!

message 2: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments This sounds like fun. I'll check it out. And thanks.

message 3: by Jody (new)

Jody French | 3 comments Judith wrote: "This sounds like fun. I'll check it out. And thanks."

Red wrote: "While looking at different Facebook pages, I discovered a great website for new writers. It's called page99test.com, and writers upload a book synopsis along with page 99 of their book. Readers vot..."

Such a great idea! I can't wait to re-read what I wrote on page 99, and send it in!! Thank you for the f/b site info!!

message 4: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Salazar (bsal_83) | 90 comments Oh! Now that sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely check this one out.

message 5: by Kayden (new)

Kayden Lee (kaydenlee) | 14 comments This sounds like a great idea, will check it out! thanks.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Rakunas | 9 comments I just uploaded my page 99.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments What if you dont have a page 99 of your book? lol

message 8: by Chris (last edited Jun 25, 2012 12:47PM) (new)

Chris Rakunas | 9 comments Then it's a novella!

message 9: by J.H (new)

J.H Gaines (JHGAINES) | 13 comments Just took a look on the page, how the hell do you sign up or upload your details?
also my page 99 of the book I have in mind is littered with bad language, can I still post?

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Rakunas | 9 comments $*%$ed if I know. I would consider a different page, though.

On the front of the page there is a BIG GREEN box that says start reading. Underneath it, in itty bitty letters it says "Upload your own page 99." That's the link to click.

message 11: by J.H (new)

J.H Gaines (JHGAINES) | 13 comments Thanks Chris I'll give it a go.
JH

message 12: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments I loaded my page 99, but no results. Have you had any? Did you sign up readers to send it to?

message 13: by Red (last edited Jun 27, 2012 07:12PM) (new)

Red Harvey (seansgirl329) | 10 comments Yea, I've had some results, and they tore my writing apart, as expected. It's a bit painful, but nice to see unbiased sources giving criticism. It's actually helped my writing.
And you don't have to necessarily send readers to your page 99. Eventually, you'll get results. My page has been up for about three weeks, and it's only lately that I've been getting critiques.

message 14: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Okay, mine's probably too new then. Did you check back or do they let you know somehow? This is such a fun idea. Thanks for posting it. Yich about the painful part. It's awesome that it's helped your writing.

message 15: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Just thought. Did you like your page 99? That's such a random pick. It could go good or bad.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Rakunas | 9 comments Judith wrote: "Just thought. Did you like your page 99? That's such a random pick. It could go good or bad."

I think that was the point when Ford Maddox Ford said you can flip to page 99 and see how a book is. It's meant to be random.

message 17: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments I like that about the page 99 idea, but I got lucky. I read mine and it was a sort of fun page. I'm thinking not every single page in my novel would be, though, but here's hoping.

message 18: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) I got very lucky indeed. Page 99 of my book includes a reference to Jeanette Winterson's 'Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit,' so I'll be legitimately mentioning @Wintersonworld in a Tweet tomorrow morning. Joy :-)

message 19: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) page99test.com delete your 'Page 99' after you've got 30 votes (*Yes* I would turn the page, or *No* I wouldn't turn the page), so if anyone wanted to feed back to me (in any way), might you do it on this thread rather than on page99test.com?

Here's my Page 99: page99test.com/read-my-page/1749?

The web is a continuous delight, isn't it? What a first class idea.

message 20: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments I voted 'yes' on the page99test, because I cared about your main character. It's only one page, so not much chance to get to know her, but you made us care. She's struggling. It's obvious. Lots of nuances. Hope lots of people find your page.

message 21: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) Thank you so much for reading and feeding back, Judith :-) My main character is myself at 19 (am currently 42). I made a royal mess of that part of my life. ...

message 22: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 31 comments What a great idea. I'm going to give it a try.

message 23: by Damon (new)

Damon Marbut (damonferrellmarbut) | 9 comments That's a really cool discovery. Thanks for sharing.

message 24: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 31 comments Uploaded both my books - going back now to read the page 99s already posted. What a neat idea.

message 25: by J.H (new)

J.H Gaines (JHGAINES) | 13 comments http://www.page99test.com/read-my-pag...
My page guys!
****WARNING ADULT CONTENT****

message 26: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 31 comments How did you get the link to give us?

message 27: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Natasha wrote: "Thank you so much for reading and feeding back, Judith :-) My main character is myself at 19 (am currently 42). I made a royal mess of that part of my life. ..."

You're still feeling your way at 19. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes, you don't. The important thing is if you learn from your mistakes and move on. Makes for great story material, and you did a good job on p.99 of writing about it.

message 28: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) Judith wrote: "You're still feeling your way at 19. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes, you don't. The important thing is if you learn from your mistakes and move on. Makes for great story material, and you did a good job on p.99 of writing about it."

Thanks, Judith. I've just started working on my second diary book, about the mess I made (and learnt from) at age 21..

message 29: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Uh-oh, another mess? Hope you run out of messes in your life, but have an infinite amount of story ideas from them.

message 31: by J.H (new)

J.H Gaines (JHGAINES) | 13 comments BEWARE!!!!!
I uploaded my page 99 last week and boy did I get a surprise, I thought this was a light hearted exercise to add some entertainment but I was taken aback by the touchiness of some people.

Ok my fault as I uploaded a draft version with a few typo errors, Boy was that a mistake, for if there are a few mistakes then be prepared for the wrath of the perfectionist! I received two replies’ which were tantamount to a full scale attack, honestly you would have thought I killed their cat rather than participated in a light hearted bit of fun.

So my message is…… be prepared!

message 32: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Ouch! I'm thinking since they only have one page, they can be pickier????

message 33: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Darlene, read yours. Both good.

message 34: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments J.H., went back and found your link. Good story, but bad grammar. You're a natural at dialogue, and if I read that page, I'd turn another one to see what happens. But you'll get nailed for small, basic mistakes and people will overlook how good your story is (which it is).

message 35: by J.H (new)

J.H Gaines (JHGAINES) | 13 comments Thank you Judith, grammar is something I am really struggling with, I love to write but I have began to write before learning how to write if you know what I mean.
Dialogue I very much enjoy, I just imagine my self in that situation and act out a scene, my wife see's me talking to myself sometimes and thinks I am crazy.
I am currently trying to find an English course or find a really good book that can help me.
My wife tells me I should try to read more as well.
On average I might spend ten minutes writing a page and then thirty minutes editing it.
I was unlucky that I did not really have an education, left school at fifteen and went into the workforce but I am not one for making excuses, I am quick to take advice on board and will not shirk putting the hours in if it improves what I am doing.
I appreciate your advice and the manner you advised me, it is strange but when you get harsh criticism it makes you feel small and belittled and wanting to throw in the towel, but the way you have explained it me only inspires me more to carry on and correct the things I am doing wrong.
thank you Judith I really appreciate your sincerity and time
Joe

message 36: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 31 comments Thank you, Judith! Where can I find your page99?

message 37: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Joe, I belong to a really good writers' group, and I've looked at a lot of manuscripts. You have a real, natural talent when it comes to story telling. That's actually pretty hard to teach, and the longer you write, the better you'll get. Grammar is the easiest thing to learn. It's just the nuts and bolts of writing, not the trickier stuff like pacing and voice. Our community college, Ivy Tech, offers a one semester class that covers all of it. It's pretty easy to master, and then people can concentrate on your words and ideas--which are pretty darn good.

message 38: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Darlene, I tried to find my p. 99 so I could put a link here for you, but couldn't figure out how to pull it up or search for it. All I could get was the information about it. Sorry. Thanks for asking about it, though.

message 39: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 31 comments Sign in to page 99 and go to My Uploads. Then click on the green See all Feedback for this page 99 In the address bar you'll see
http://page99test.com/my-feedback/with a number
Change the address to http://page99test/read-my-page/number

message 40: by Sevinar (new)

Sevinar | 10 comments Cool, this is an interesting website with a unique idea. And it's a lot of fun to read the page 99s and give feedback!

message 41: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Thanks, Darlene! I'll give it a shot and post it if I can figure it out.

message 42: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Hooray! You're a genius. Here it is:
http://page99test.com/read-my-page/1731

message 43: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 31 comments Glad it worked. You've an intriguing page 99!

message 44: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Thanks. It's my witch/werewolf novel. Strictly urban fantasy. Yours had more of a commercial feel. I'd think there'd be a decent market for that.

message 45: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 31 comments I hope so, Judith. Good luck with your book.

message 46: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments You're promoting yours, right? You have lots of ways to market it. You could be the queen of hash tags on Twitter.

message 47: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 31 comments Yes, I'm marketing like crazy. What do you mean "queen of hash tags?"

message 48: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Every time you use a topic that might be of interest to a wide audience, you use a hashtag. Like #EatingDisorders, then people can go to that topic, and they'll find your post. You could use #Coming of Age too, etc. I could think of quite a few different hashtags you could use to connect with topics. Have you gone to Kristen Lamb's blog on marketing? It's great. Gives a lot of solid, practical advice. http://warriorwriters.wordpress.com/a...

message 49: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 31 comments I hadn't thought of using hash tags that way. I will try to be more creative now.

message 50: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lipman (sharonlipmanauthor) | 7 comments I've just uploaded my page 99 but was pleased to see the comment from Judith about hashtags - definitely something to bear in mind.

I'm intrigued to see what this review site throws up.

I've also used www.reviewfuse.com which allows you to up load chapters or short stories for review, providing you complete reviews of others work in return. The free account asks you to complete 4 reviews for every 3 you get back. It asks for comments on general feeling, character deveopment, plot, dialogue and mechanics and also allows you to give "in line" comments about specific sections you feel strongly about - either good or bad.

I've had 6 reviews back and 5 have been excellent and really useful for improving my writing. (The 6th was clearly a grumpy old man who just didn't like my genre as he didn't give any feedback at all and just scored each section out of 10. He is happily the exception to the rule.)

« previous 1