Zombies! discussion

Book Discussions > Looking for a Good Zombie Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 140 (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Ok - I finished World War Z last summer and LOVED it. What zombie book would be a good second foray into zombie books? I want a scary book about the undead :) Any ideas?

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) Brian Keene has 3 zombie books that are pretty good, I personally prefer Dead Sea to the other two.

I own the Monster Island/Nation/Planet books but have yet to read them. People seem to either love or hate them.

message 3: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 22 comments I like the Wellington books but I think he has some bizarre ideas on what a zombie should be like (uses supernatural powers).

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) The first two Keene Novels were like that... the Zombies were actually demons posessing the dead... so they were intelligent, tool using, weapon wielding zombies... Which is why I preferred "Dead Sea" because they were your standard Zombies for the most part.

message 5: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon Frater (rhiannonfrater) | 4 comments Well, I would like to suggest my zombie novel As The World Dies: The First Days. The fans of the book really enjoy it and I continue to get good feedback on it. The story takes place in Texas and I think it kicks some major zombie ass. But, of course, I wrote it, so I love it.

You can "look inside" the novel on amazon.com and read some of the reviews here http://www.amazon.com/As-World-Dies-Z...

I also have a free zombie novella in first draft form up on Scribd. http://www.scribd.com/doc/2909104/As-... It ties into the As The World Dies Trilogy, but can easily stand alone.

I hope you enjoy!

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) Drop Dead Gorgeous was a fun little zombie novel, I believe it is going to be the beginning of a series as well.

message 7: by Mark (last edited Jan 16, 2009 03:11PM) (new)

Mark (markwotton) | 1 comments "Pontypool Changes Everything" by Anthony (Tony) Burgess (Not the Clockwork Orange Anthony Burgess). A great little story about "Zombieism" being a result of a virus that is transmitted by language, so you have to be vewy, vewy, quiet. Bruce Macdonald made a movie based on it last year.

message 8: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 22 comments Tessa wrote: "Ok - I finished World War Z last summer and LOVED it. What zombie book would be a good second foray into zombie books? I want a scary book about the undead :) Any ideas?"

David Wellington's books are pretty good as well as Dead Rising by Brian Keene.

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 69 comments My zombie novel, PATIENT ZERO, will be released by St Martins Press on March 3. It's been getting pretty encouraging reviews from Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, Rue Morue, etc., and support from Joe Lansdale, Peter Straub, Douglas Preston and a bunch of other too authors.

PATIENT ZERO feautures Baltimore cop Joe Ledger who is recruited by a secret government organization to help stop a group of terrorists who have a plague that turns people into zombies.

It'll be in bookstores everywhere on March 3, and is available for pre-order online.

message 10: by Erfman (new)

Erfman | 6 comments Jonathan wrote: "My zombie novel, PATIENT ZERO, will be released by St Martins Press on March 3. It's been getting pretty encouraging reviews from Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, Rue Morue, etc., and support from Joe L..."

Hey Jonathan, I've heard the guys on the Mail Order Zombie podcast raving about a preview copy of your book. Been a while since I've read a zombie novel so I look forward to checking it out this spring.

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 69 comments I hope you enjoy it. It's been variously described as 'Michael Crichton meets 28 Days Later' or '24 Meets Night of the Living Dead'. Pretty close to the mark either way.

I'm writing the second in the series (which doesn't have zombies but does have genetically engineered monsters).

message 12: by Martin (new)

Martin Treanor Sounds right up my Strasse - looking forward to it Jonathan - I'll get my copy ordered.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljcrow) Plague of the Dead and Dying to Live and the second books in both series are very good as well.

message 14: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Keim I was lucky enough to have an early look at Patient Zero. On a scale of 1 being kind of creepy to 10 needing to be sedated I was looking for the Valium. While under the bed. But I still couldn't stop turning the pages. It's an amazing book.

message 15: by Jaz (new)

Jaz | 56 comments I bought The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead for my husband. It's not a story book but a humorous "self-help" book, which fits well amongst the killing and survival zombie books. It's okay to also laugh at a zombie's expense. :o)

message 16: by Christen (new)

Christen | 41 comments Well if you liked World War Z you should definitely read Max Brooks' other zombie book The Zombie Survival Guide. That way you'll know how to survive the zombie apocalypse.

message 17: by Keith (new)

Keith (keifer) | 1 comments have you read the zombie survival guid?

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 78 comments The Zombie Survival Guide is good. I am seriously enjoying The Living Dead anthology right now. It's awesome!

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 69 comments I had the pleasure of interviewing Max Brooks for my recent nonfiction book, ZOMBIE CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead. He's a warm and very funny guy, and a helluva good writer.

message 20: by Felicia A (last edited Feb 08, 2009 05:23PM) (new)

Felicia A (Ftjazgal) | 20 comments In addition to Rhiannon Frater's book, As The World Dies, I would recommend the two books in the Morningstar Series by Z.A. Recht - Plague of the Dead and Thunder and Ashes. I believe he's working on the third...

I also HIGHLY recommend the Autumn series by David Moody. The Monster series....not so much. Zombies don't need to have special powers and be able to talk and think. They are no longer zombies at that point!!!! Sheesh!

message 21: by Felicia A (new)

Felicia A (Ftjazgal) | 20 comments I also very much agree with Chris re J.L. Bourne's book. He's working on the sequel too!

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin P | 19 comments If you can find them, Book of the Dead and Book of the Dead 2: Still Dead are anthologies edited by John Skipp and Craig Spector with short fiction by renowned horror writers. I also second Michael's nomination for Dying to Live by Kim Paffenroth; it's original, smart, and even has a happy ending, depending on who you root for. ;) happy hunting!

message 23: by Derek (new)

Derek | 8 comments I have a new zombie book called THE ESTUARY which has just been released by Permuted Press. You can check it out on www.derekgunn.com

Cheers!
Derek

message 24: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Cole (lucascole) Allow me to recommend my novel, recently updated: Resurrection Planet Second Edition (Master Key Press, 2011), currently available for the Kindle, soon on other formats. A military Sci-Fi novel in the zombie genre.

http://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-Pl...

message 25: by Jeanpaul (new)

Jeanpaul (jpahearn) Although it is not truly a zombie novel, I am Legend by Richard Matheson is a classic and the basis for George Romero's Night of the Living Dead. It is a very easy read and way better than the multiple film adaptations.

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie How about "Dust" by Joan Frances Turner or "Raising Stony Mayhall" by Daryl Gregory? I liked them both. I'm reading "Day By Day Armageddon Beyond Exile" by J.L. Bourne. I love it!

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary048) | 4 comments Leslie wrote: "How about "Dust" by Joan Frances Turner or "Raising Stony Mayhall" by Daryl Gregory? I liked them both. I'm reading "Day By Day Armageddon Beyond Exile" by J.L. Bourne. I love it!"

I recently finished Raising Stony Mayhall and enjoyed it from beginning to end. It is told from the zombie's perspective...after all, zombies are just people to. Day by Day Armageddonis also on my list to read.

message 28: by John (new)

John (Awreetmon) I have read all 3 books by Tony Monchinski, The Eden Series, I am currently reading the latest Eden: Resurrection, great set of books.

message 29: by Tez (new)

Tez (MrTez) | 1 comments Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo is a great series (3 short novels and a fourth coming soon), they are available on amazons kindle store and are very cheap. The first two are not the best written books in the world as he is a self published artist but he is having them proof read and edited now so that should be sorted soon enough. Regardless of the flaws in the writing the story is fantastic and well worth overlooking the odd grammatical error for.

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie (KTRyan12) | 1 comments Jonathan wrote: "My zombie novel, PATIENT ZERO, will be released by St Martins Press on March 3. It's been getting pretty encouraging reviews from Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, Rue Morue, etc., and support from Joe L..."

I just read your book Ghost Road Blues and it was so Amazing and terrifying!! I CANNOT WAIT to get my hands on the other two books in the Pine Deep series as well as all the other books you have written! Thanks for making some truly well written and scary books!

message 31: by Jack (new)

Jack Wallen (jack_wallen) | 16 comments Just thought I'd let everyone know the sequel to I Zombie I was released today. The book is My Zombie My and can be found on Amazon and will hopefully go live on B&N very shortly.

message 32: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Petrucha (spetrucha) | 14 comments May I humbly suggest the first book in my new zombie detective series, Dead Mann Walking -
http://www.petrucha.com/Books/DeadMan...

message 33: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Murphey (JLMurphey) | 21 comments Zombie Apocalypse: Redemption Zombie Apocalypse Redemption by J.L. Murphey

It is available in paperback at Createspace.com and Amazon.com e-versions available through Barnesandnoble, Diesel, Scrollmotion, Smashwords...aw heck just about everywhere!

message 34: by Lady Book Voodoo (new)

Twisted sister paranormal Lady Book Voodoo (ladyvoodoo) | 4 comments Kristen wrote: "Brian Keene has 3 zombie books that are pretty good, I personally prefer Dead Sea to the other two.

I own the Monster Island/Nation/Planet books but have yet to read them. People seem to either..."

Tessa wrote: "Ok - I finished World War Z last summer and LOVED it. What zombie book would be a good second foray into zombie books? I want a scary book about the undead :) Any ideas?"

Monster Island is one of the Best I think!!!

message 35: by Lady Book Voodoo (new)

Twisted sister paranormal Lady Book Voodoo (ladyvoodoo) | 4 comments Kristen wrote: "Drop Dead Gorgeous was a fun little zombie novel, I believe it is going to be the beginning of a series as well."

Thats a zombie novel?

message 36: by Mike (new)

Mike (krassos) | 39 comments Matheson's I Am Legend was pretty damn good. Of course, Matheson's horror short stories are excellent.

message 37: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (Helluva) | 1 comments Bourne's Day by day armageddon is the best zombie book I've read.

message 38: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Has anyone read Zone One by Colson Whitehead?

message 39: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 15 comments Leslie wrote: "Has anyone read Zone One by Colson Whitehead?"

Looks interesting Leslie! Added it to my wishlist.

message 40: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 15 comments Jack wrote: "Just thought I'd let everyone know the sequel to I Zombie I was released today. The book is My Zombie My and can be found on Amazon and will hopefully go live on B&N very shortly."

Great, thanks Jack - I've got I Zombie I on my (very long) TBR list. Might have to bump it up a little :)

message 41: by Jack (new)

Jack Wallen (jack_wallen) | 16 comments Kat wrote: "Jack wrote: "Just thought I'd let everyone know the sequel to I Zombie I was released today. The book is My Zombie My and can be found on Amazon and will hopefully go live on B&N ve..."
You're very welcome Kat. Love those long TBR lists! I hope to get through mine before I'm nothing more than a zombie. ;-)

message 42: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Kat wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Has anyone read Zone One by Colson Whitehead?"

Looks interesting Leslie! Added it to my wishlist."

I did too Kat. And I agree with Jack, I also hope to get through my "to read" list before I become more than a zombie. :)

message 43: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Walsh | 47 comments The Monster series by David Wellington is fantastic, although, it bends the usual interpretation of a zombie, but he does write one hell of a story!

I highly, highly highly recommend the Eden series by Tony Monchinski. I've had the pleasure of reading all 3 books (I have a signed copy of Resurrection :-) ) and they are excellent. I also recommend Iain McKinnon's Domain of the dead, Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (I still want to read the sequel!), White Flag of the Dead by Joseph Talluto (there were some minor flaws, but for the author's first novel attempt, it was great) and Apocalypse of the dead by Joe McKinney. (which was nominated for a Bram Stoker award in the same category as Rot and Ruin.)

message 44: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 15 comments Kevin wrote: "The Monster series by David Wellington is fantastic, although, it bends the usual interpretation of a zombie, but he does write one hell of a story!

I highly, highly highly recommend the Eden s..."

I've read all three of the White Flag of the Dead series, really enjoyed all of them, one of my personal favourites!

message 45: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Walsh | 47 comments I reviewed Jospeh Talluto's White flag of the dead and Taking it back, he's sending me a copy of America the Dead and I can't wait. Its a good series and the author gets stronger after each book, Talluto has a lot of potential. The only flaw I had for White flag was how quiet the baby was, and how John does nothing wrong. I just feel he could have given John at least a flaw or two. It just would have made it a bit more realistic.

message 46: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 15 comments Kevin wrote: "I reviewed Jospeh Talluto's White flag of the dead and Taking it back, he's sending me a copy of America the Dead and I can't wait. Its a good series and the author gets stronger after each book, T..."

Two very valid observations! I actually rated America the Dead a little lower than the first two, but I think perhaps that's because it was a little less zombie, a little more survivor. And I was more in a zombie brain-fest kinda mood!
I agree he has a lot of potential, all the books have sucked me right in.

message 47: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 15 comments Jack wrote: "Kat wrote: "Jack wrote: "Just thought I'd let everyone know the sequel to I Zombie I was released today. The book is My Zombie My and can be found on Amazon and will hopefully go li..."

Well I did a reshuffle, broke a promise to myself, and read I Zombie I today. I enjoyed it, good to read from a different perspective but the twist took me by surprise! Will be purchasing My Zombie My once my credit card has recovered from this month's frenzy!

message 48: by Jack (new)

Jack Wallen (jack_wallen) | 16 comments Kat wrote: "Jack wrote: "Kat wrote: "Jack wrote: "Just thought I'd let everyone know the sequel to I Zombie I was released today. The book is My Zombie My and can be found on Amazon and will ho..."
I'm glad you enjoyed it Kat! My Zombie My kicks it all up to 11, so I believe you'll enjoy it even more. Thank you so much for taking part in my little world.

Jack

message 49: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Petrucha (spetrucha) | 14 comments Another great review is up for my latest book, Dead Mann Walking -- http://qwillery.blogspot.com/2011/10/...

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Walsh | 47 comments I have a copy of 'I zombie I' (Thanks Jack!)and its the next book on my hit list for reviews. Once I finish reading Zombie Fallout, Im gonna delve into Jack's novel. I heard lots of good things about Zombie Fallout and so far I'm liking it. (well, except for it being festooned with typos and grammatical errors, but otherwise a strong book thus far.)

where do you do reviews Kat? I do my reviews for Buyzombie.com

« previous 1 3