Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451
This topic is about Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451
Science Fiction > In Memory of Ray Bradbury

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vincent, Mod & Author (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 1104 comments Mod
This thread is to share your thoughts on the late Ray Bradbury...

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (msjones) | 9 comments I got in trouble more than once for sneak-reading "Dandelion Wine" under my 7th-grade classroom desk. My great regret: That I never wrote to tell him so.

message 3: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Reasby | 4 comments Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Still one of my favorite nightmares ever set on paper. Rest in peace, Mr. Bradbury. You were a true pioneer and will be missed.

message 4: by J.m. (new)

J.m. Tresaugue (JMTresaugue) | 1 comments Had the honor of meeting Mr. Bradbury at a signing in Mission Viejo in 1993. He was signing only one book per person, but he honored me with signing two books out of the greatness of his heart. I had asked him about selling his first story, and he spent ten minutes sharing and reliving the moment. The wonderful lady behind me shoved a copy of "Zen in the Art of Writing" into my hands, saying, "I think you need this more than me." Mr. Bradbury snatched the book from my hands, signed it, and showered praise on the lady who gave me the book. To this day, that beat up copy of "Zen in the Art of Writing" is my most treasured book. Mr. Bradbury was the first author I met, and that encounter remains my most cherished author meeting. He had a knack for drawing out the best in people.

message 5: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Frances | 133 comments Ray Bradbury was a major influence in my youth, and I always had his books nearby (usually hidden in a drawer so my parents wouldn't see what I was reading . . . ) I think I'll revisit some of my favorites from this incredible author this weekend.Jaye Frances

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Gebhard (marycatherinegebhard) | 8 comments Dandelion Wine described summer so well that even in summer, I still find myself waiting for it to crash like a tidal wave as it did Douglas Spaulding.

message 7: by Luna (new)

Luna Corbden (lunaverse) | 2 comments I was greatly inspired by Bradbury as a kid. I remember taking an SAT test in 1992, and recognizing a passage from Dandelion Wine they'd used.

Our family had tapes with the Bradbury 13 dramatizations done by BYU in 1984. Just last month I wanted to share them with the kids, found them, and listened to some of them on vacation: http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/audio/b...

Some of these stories had huge impacts on me, especially a "Sound of Thunder", about time travel and the effects even small changes could have. "The Wind" terrified me, and kept me up late, listening to the wind in Eastern Washington, afraid it might get in.

On Twitter today, someone pointed me at this: http://archive.org/details/XMinus1_A

These audio productions were done in the 1950s, and clearly inspired the later Bradbury 13.

I never got around to reading the Martian Chronicles, but I saw the poorly-made movies. And obviously Fahrenheit 451, one of the greatest dystopian novels of all time.

When I list the greatest classic SF authors, Bradbury is one of the three I rattle off: Asimov, Clarke, and Bradbury. The rest followed in their footsteps.

If you're a writer, or just want to know more about Bradbury's life and creative mind, "Zen and the Art of Writing" is short and very good.

I *love* reading about, and seeing documentaries, of the old SF writers. This book falls into that category. It's easy to imagine him sitting at a typewriter in 1953. It's hard to imagine him predicting a future with technology making it possible for there to be no books.

Thank you Ray, for being on my dad's shelf as I grew up. If only I could write half as well as you. Your words will outlive us all.

message 8: by J.D. (last edited Jun 06, 2012 10:30AM) (new)

J.D. Hughes (jdhughes) | 46 comments There was imagination and beyond that, Ray Bradbury. Now we will have to make do with imagination. RIP my childhood friend.

message 9: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie (rosemariel) | 6 comments Some of Bradbury's work hasn't aged too well, but he was way out in front of his contemporaries. He brought sci-fi from the bizarre fringes into the lives and homes of ordinary people. One of his short stories, "The Cistern", haunted me for years.

Rest well, Intrepid One.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 38 comments Ray Bradbury was an inspiration. I loved his classics... F451 and The Illustrated Man.

Imagination beyond imagination.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (karisuecat) He was truly inspiring and will be very missed..Rip Ray Bradbury..

message 12: by Mari (new)

Mari Mann (marimann) | 14 comments And so it goes. My favorite is Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Lange (chrislange) Such an imaginative, inspiring author! He will be truly missed. Farewell Ray Bradbury.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy Bartol (amyabartol) You are the seller of lightning rods, Ray Bradbury, and what you sparked was our imaginations. Thank you for the many blessings you bestowed upon us all through your work.

message 15: by Carla (new)

Carla Herrera (starving_artist) Thank you, thank you, thank you Mr. Bradbury. We'll miss you.

message 16: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 142 comments I wrote my thoughts in a blog post today: http://afstewartblog.blogspot.ca/2012...

message 17: by Brian (new)

Brian Kittrell (briankittrell) | 1 comments I've only met Ray through his fiction, but I can say the man was gifted with a unique literary ability uncommonly seen. Writers go their entire lives hoping that their impact will be a mere fraction of what Ray Bradbury's has been. I know because I am one of them. My condolensces go out to his family, friends, professional associates, and fans. Too often do the brightest stars blink out, leaving a void which is not soon filled and which can never be truly replaced.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan Quinn (susan_kaye_quinn) | 43 comments *sadness* I heard Ray speak once and was as moved by him in person as I was by his books. A brilliant man, and a terrible loss.

message 19: by P.I. (new)

P.I. (thewordslinger) | 123 comments Blessed to meet him twice. Thank you Ray for opening up a world I knew existed but could not find. You are a treasure, my friend, rest in peace.

message 20: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Harlond (jgharlond) | 16 comments Two weeks ago I included one of Bradbury's stories in a new book for young people: his work is very important, in many respects he conjures the concerns of the 20th century.

message 21: by Mike (new)

Mike Cooley (mikecooley) | 4 comments Ray brought so much heart to his writing. He taught me a lot. I regret that I never had the honor of meeting him in person.

Thanks for all the words Ray. They are immortal.

message 22: by David (new)

David (wheldrake) | 9 comments A wonderful, warm, humane writer who shall be greatly missed. The Martian Chronicles was one of the first SF books I read and turned me on to the whole genre. He had a great knack of taking the fantastic and making it strange and wonderful, yet also human. He knew the power of words. That they could excite, inform, scare and make you smile. We shall not see his like again. Rest in Peace Mr. Bradbury.

message 23: by Bob (new)

Bob R Bogle (bobrbogle) Thanks Mr Bradbury for The Martian Chronicles, and everything else. The last man standing has left the room. Au revoir and pleasant journeys, always.

message 24: by Harrison (new)

Harrison Davies (harrisondavies) | 134 comments Another sad loss for the literary world, and even more so for his family . My heartfelt wishes to them. You will be missed, sir.

message 25: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Helme | 1 comments Dandelion Wine is one of my favorite books. It is SUMMER and so special. Thanks to an amazing author!

message 26: by Ava (new)

Ava Bleu (avableu) | 12 comments We truly lost a great talent. Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed and All Summer in a Day have been two of my favorite short stories since I was knee-high. He will be missed.

message 27: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Drinkard | 9 comments Yes, when I list the top SF writers, Bradbury, Asimov and Clarke top the list. He introduced me to more than just SF. He was a superb stylist. His prose rang with poetry.

Now that he's moved on, I recall Auden's words on the death of Yeats, "...he became his admirers."

RIP Mr. Bradbury.

message 28: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2165 comments I only read one of his books and I couldn't finish it but I still appreciate him as an author and always looked to read another one of his book, especially Fahrenheit 451. I am saddened to hear of his passing and it's one of those things where you don't look to someones work till their gone and I will for sure now try to read one of his books to honor him.

message 29: by Ian (new)

Ian Loome (lhthomson) | 101 comments I always though his non-science fiction piece, Something Wicked This way Comes, was his best. Absolute creep fest. Farenheit 451 probably contributed to any number of world views, as well.

message 30: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wilson (StorytellerTDW) | 21 comments I dedicated my blog today to this Great Author who will be missed and has inspired so many with his enlightened work.
http://thomaswilsonstoryteller.blogsp...
At least we know there will be great science fiction in heaven when we get there.
Ray you will be missed . . .

message 31: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Gerardo (carolinegerardo) | 4 comments Mr. Bradbury was a part of my childhood. My prayers for his daughters Susan Ramona Bettina and Alexandra, perhaps Ray is in some wild and imaginative place with Maggie.

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments Such a sad day for the world of literature. Ray Bradbury will always be remembered. Such an imaginative author.

Jeannie and Louis Rigod (opalbeach) | 1 comments Mr. Bradbury has the honor of being the most quoted author in our home. This is a loss indeed.

message 34: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 10 comments R.I.P. You will be missed ...

What's wonderful is that we have all of Bradbury's fantastic writing to keep us company, forever.

Thank you, Vincent, for posting this thread!

message 35: by Xiri (new) - added it

Xiri | 1 comments Rest well, Ray - you'll be sorely missed! What an inspiration, you are one of the 'horror' ethalons for me, even if I may never be such a creative writer as you were.

Rest in peace, and be immortal.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan Swain (bsusan) | 7 comments R.I.P Ray

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim Hendee (jimhendee) | 1 comments When I was young and aspired to writing, mostly I read Ray Bradbury and Harlan Ellison (in that order), as well the other SF writers. "The Illustrated Man" is the one that stuck with me the most after all these years. It scared the hell out of me.

message 38: by Rionna (new)

Rionna Morgan (rionna_morgan) | 2 comments I am reading through all of these comments...some of which the writers confess how they had to hide the work they were reading. I am saddened by the idea that we must hide what we wish to read. I am thrilled that we did it anyway. I am still of the opinion that as James Whitcomb Riley states in his "An Old Sweetheart of Mine,": “..., to speak in earnest, I believe it adds a charm/To spice the good a trifle with a little dust of harm”

Bradbury surely did that and so much more.

I am happy to say that as a teacher I assigned and shared and read with my students the works of Mr. Ray Bradbury. "All Summer in a Day" is one of my favorites. What a heart-wrenching tale that is.

Rest Peacefully, Mr. Bradbury. I know that the writers among us will try their hardest to continue your legacy.

Rionna

message 39: by Rionna (new)

Rionna Morgan (rionna_morgan) | 2 comments Vincent wrote: "This thread is to share your thoughts on the late Ray Bradbury..."

Thank you, Vincent, for giving us the opportunity to share our thoughts and honor this man.

All the Best,
Rionna

message 40: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Stine | 1 comments I wrote a sort of eulogy on my blog for Ray. Please visit and share your thoughts! http://catherinestine.blogspot.com/20...
He was a huge inspiration for me.

message 41: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 69 comments I'm still bowing my head in silent prayer, since Bradbury has always been one of my favorite writers. My third son just read Fahrenheit 451 for his sci-fi literature college class, and since I have taught it many times, he borrowed my copy. He's read entire authors' works, like Vonnegut and Frank Herbert, and he said that F451 was about the most "damn near perfect" story he'd ever read! High praise from my well-read son, just one of my 4 sci-fi nerds raised by my sci-fi nerd husband and myself.

Ray, you changed the world...at least for those who read your words. Thanks for sharing.

message 42: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Davis | 8 comments Mr. Bradbury gave me the courage to write what I wanted, not what I was "supposed to write". Of all the thousands of books I read in my youth, Fahrenheit 451 left a lasting impression.
I will not say he will be missed, because we have his works--and the works of all the authors he inspired--to keep us company.
Rest well, sir, secure in the knowledge of a job well done.

message 43: by Jill (new)

Jill O’Bones (jill_h_obones) | 20 comments He will be missed by many.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Loved his books. Wish I could come up with ideas like he did. Truly a giant in the field of sci. fi.

message 45: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Lowder (jelowder) | 16 comments When I read, "A Sound of Thunder," I was BLOWN away! From that moment on, I've been a huge fan. You will be missed, Mr. Bradbury!

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Escaffi-James (aahlyia) | 3 comments We've read several of his books over the years and he has always been an admirable writer.
I hope that we will get new writers with that kind of talent. It's rare.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

One of my most favorite writers, is now spinning great stories on the inner planes!

message 48: by Luna (new)

Luna Corbden (lunaverse) | 2 comments Lisa wrote: "One of my most favorite writers, is now spinning great stories on the inner planes!"

That's a really nice thought. :)

message 49: by Bob (new)

Bob Frank | 4 comments He lived a long, good, productive life. He truly had a significant influence on society with his writings.

message 50: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1 comments Something Wicked This Way Comes was my first introduction to the genre and I vividly remember reading it as a kid. Thank you Mr. Bradbury. Your brilliance will be missed in this realm, but you will shine on. . .

« previous 1