Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Fun 'n Games > You know you're getting old when...

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) I saw a comment on another group that made me think about this. Someone mentioned "growing up watching X-files as a kid" and I thought WTF? That show was cutting edge!

message 2: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 143 comments Hahaha same here. Watching American Idol and contestants said "I was 5 when the first show aired"". I was like, really?? It was not THAT long ago, wasn't it? (At least I felt like it wasn't that long ago.)

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer I loved hearing younger generations hear Bohemian Rhapsody and say, "Oh, that's from Wayne's World."

message 4: by Leea (new)

Leea I know it's crazy how fast time flies us by.

message 5: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I'm not 'old' at all.... EVER!! But someone did say to me something that made me take a step back - Jurassic Park was released 19 years ago this month (June 11th):S

message 6: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) Hayley wrote: "I'm not 'old' at all.... EVER!! But someone did say to me something that made me take a step back - Jurassic Park was released 19 years ago this month (June 11th):S"

oh my god, I still remember the first time I went to see that in the cinema! I was 11 at the time and my primary school principal thought it would be a great idea to take the whole school (kids aged 4-11) to see Jurassic Park as our field trip that year - it turned out to be a huge disaster! When the dinosaurs started killing people all the little kids started getting hysterical. There was 350 kids and just 18 teachers and half those kids were crying so the teachers couldn't get the situation under control. Most of the kids were too young for that movie really and shouldn't have been there. They ended up having to get the cinema people to shut off the movie and everyone had to sit in the cinema in front of the blank screen for an hour and a half while we waited for the coach to come pick us up. All the kids got really rowdy and out of control because they were bored and full of sugar. My then-8-year-old sister had to have all her long curly hair cut off because there was chewing gum stuck in it due to the food fight that had broken-out there that day. I loved my primary school principal, she was a really nice lady but she was an idiot. She had to step down as principal after that because all the parents were so pissed.

message 7: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cecilia250) | 5 comments Ellie wrote: "Hayley wrote: "I'm not 'old' at all.... EVER!! But someone did say to me something that made me take a step back - Jurassic Park was released 19 years ago this month (June 11th):S"

oh my god, I st..."
First rule of teaching: always preview the video.

message 8: by Sunny☼ (new)

Sunny☼ (sunny2) You know you are getting old when your kids, preface everything you say to their friends with, Oh, Mommm!"

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Or how about - -you know you are old when co-workers say -- huh, I don't remember that TV show - what was it about?

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) Ellie, what a mess!
Cecilia, you're so right!

message 11: by Denise (last edited Jun 22, 2012 07:36AM) (new)

Denise Baer You know you're getting old when the younger generation looks at you confused when you talk about MTV and the first music videos.

message 12: by Sunny☼ (new)

Sunny☼ (sunny2) YKYGOW you slip up and call capris, petalpushers.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Haha, it took me years before I was able to use the term flip-flops instead of thongs. Now I can't say thongs because it makes me think of underwear.

message 14: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments How funny!! I have experienced all of these situations sadly enough. One realization that hit me hard was when a friend said " all our favorite music from high school is now considered 'Classic Rock'!" ouch!

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) Ladyhawk wrote: "How funny!! I have experienced all of these situations sadly enough. One realization that hit me hard was when a friend said " all our favorite music from high school is now considered 'Classic Roc..."

Ohhhhh! I don't know if that's worse than 'old skool' or not.

message 16: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Ohhhhh! I don't know if that's worse than 'old skool' or not
I thinks it's about the same! ;D

message 17: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 88 comments when u drink 2 cups of tea before noon time and wish for the weather to warm up even though its 68' out. lol

message 18: by Annette (new)

Annette I know I am old because I have to explain to my 12 year old why I did have an ipod or cell phone when I was his age.

message 19: by Cookie (new)

Cookie (cookie8) ok - well I'm thinking I must be more in the ancient category - and feeling very old with comments about Juraissic Park filmed 19 years ago - yep - took my son to that one and we ended up on the front row. I should have checked the previews a bit better - he was probably too young. As far as computer games go-well we got excited when the game room opened up at the mall with pacman, frogger, etc. yep - i'm feeling older by the minute :)

message 20: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) I loved Jurassic Park as a kid, lost count of how many times I watched it, me and my brothers... 19 years ago huh? Wow, that does make me feel old. I was in elementary school when it came out.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) My older son has taken a few clothing inspirations from the 80's recently. It makes me laugh because I was happy to be rid of the 80's style and now people want to go back to it.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

When my sons' took keyboard classes in school at first I thought of the musical instrument.