Terminalcoffee discussion

It's weird when all of you disappear at once. (What are you reading? Thinking? Reading about thinking? Thinking about reading?)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
Just sayin'.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Spooky.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Huh?

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ok Some of you. Most?

I don't know. Who is here? What is up? What are you thinking? reading? How is what you are reading making you think?

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I'm not reading at the moment. I'm vegging. I'm trying to get motivated to get off my butt and plant it on the sofa to continue reading "A Lion Among Men". I'm having a hard time though.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I'm reading Interpreter of Maladies and it makes me think I want to go to India.

message 7: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I'm reading Intimate Matters: A History of Sexuality in America (use the add book tool, y'all! it's fun!), and it's reaffirming my disgust with the various forms of social hierarchies (especially gender and racial ones and especially as they are supported by religious ideology) upon which this country was founded. Assholes.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've just had a whole bunch of spaghetti, and all I'm thinking right now is "boy, am I full". I've got The Colbert Report on, but I don't really feel like watching it.

message 9: by Dave (last edited Jan 06, 2009 08:47PM) (new)

Dave Russell You should watch it. He's got Alan Colmes on co-hosting. It's hilarious.

There's a commercial on right now.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Huh, that's weird. I saw the Colmes co-host episode LAST night, Dave.

message 11: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell They rerun it at 8 the next night. Good thing. I can't stay up until 11.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Dave wrote: "They rerun it at 8 the next night. Good thing. I can't stay up until 11."

Yeah, but I watched the Colmes episode at 8:30 yesterday, not at 11:00. And the show that's on now isn't Colmes, either.

message 13: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I meant to say 8:30. The Daily Show is on at 8. Maybe you have the East coast feed on your cable system.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Maybe it's because I have satellite, now, so yeah, east coast feed is a good possibility.
Colmes is one homely looking guy, isn't he?

message 15: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Yeah, especially sitting next to Hannity.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jan 07, 2009 06:06AM) (new)

I'm listening to Stevie Wonder "Innervisions" and playing Phase 10 with sweeter. Watching the cats and getting ready to watch The Young Ones.

I'm thinking constantly about The Wind Up Bird Chronicle and wanting to know what happens next. This book is amazing. It is making me think I want to go back and read all the Murakami I did last summer, starting with Dance, Dance, Dance or Wild Sheep Chase.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Should I know who Alan Colmes is? (I might erase this if I google it and find out he's freakishly famous)

message 18: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 07, 2009 02:52AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I love Interpreter of Maladies.

Somebody take away Mindy's sex books. (no, I guess she can keep them:)

I was sleeping when Sally first posted her message. That was 10:41PM my time! Late at night!

But where are all you people now, huh? It's 4:42AM here.

I guess I can forgive the west coasters. It's 2:42AM there.

I'm reminded of Homer Simpson, who once said, while extolling the virtues of traveling, "I want to watch tv in strange time zones."

I do think it would feel weird to watch the 9PM shows at 10PM, like they do out east.

Sally, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is arguably the best book I have ever read, definitely in the top three. No doubt.

Ok, I'm drinking coffee. I'm up. Good morning, everyone! Rise and shine!

shakes everyone

shellyindallas RA- I got that book on your recommendation. I haven't started reading it yet, though. I decided to 86 my book club because I have so many books at home waiting to be read that I wanna finish before I pick up some book somebody else wants to read, you know? So, maybe I'll pick it up soon. First I've got to finish _The End of Faith_ and _Crime and Punishment_.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments I have not heard of Interpreter of Maladies. someone point me to a review or a heads up on this? I am saving City Of Joy for my trip to India next week.

message 22: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 07, 2009 06:18AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I want to go back and read Crime and Punishment, Shelly...I started it when I was younger and never finished. Maybe this spring. I'm interested in hearing what you think about it.

message 23: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I'm drinking my tea and looking through here. Reading The Bible--a Biography. It's by Karen Armstrong and part of the series, Ten Books that Changed the World. Does any one else on here like Karent Armstrong? I think she's great! It really helps to read objective accounts of how the bible came about, helps me to refute the old stuff in my head. Also a book by Sheldon Kopp--If You Meet the Buddha in the Road, Kill Him. It's really good.
Something is going on with my e mail, so if you guys don't hear from me for a while, that's why. It seems like my internet server is going in and out. Right now it's up. This happened before and it turned out it was squirells chewing on the wire--yum-yum. Some of these squirells around here are malicious!! RRRRRRR!!!!! One even got in my house!! So, hopefully, I'll talk to you guys soon.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I agree, Leslie, Karen Armstrong does some good work...didn't we talk about her once? I really liked The Spiral Staircase and her book on the way Islam, Judaism, and Christianity all come from the same cloth (can't remember what that one is called...) I had the Bible one from the library but I didn't get around to reading it...maybe this summer...

Hope the squirrels are behaving themselves...

message 25: by Jane (new)

Jane I just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife, which I thought was really good, but because it was so heartbreaking, I'm glad to be done with it. My next read is Water for Elephants, which is the next pick for the book club I'm in, but I can't get excited about it. I'm thinking about going to Powell's some time soon and spending a disgusting amount of money on books.

message 26: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I love Karen Armstrong!

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments I am excited now about Mindy's sex book. I like that kind of thing.
Also, I have been wanting to read The Wind-up Bird Chronicle for a while now because all of you say it is so incredible, but my bookstore doesn't have a copy.
I can't decide if I should wait or order it online.
There are other bookstores around, but they are more expensive.
I just started a book called The Botany of Desire, about the relationship between humans and plants, and I am very excited about it. I switch between that and my current vamp-lit novel.

message 28: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments You should see my other sex books! *waggles eyebrows* (Is that what it's called?)

I think I remember reading an AWESOME review about The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World... Or maybe I heard it on NPR. It had to be one or the other b/c GR and NPR are my only connections to the outside world.

message 29: by Charly (new)

Charly Had some time off after the holidays and had trouble getting in here. finished a couple of pieces I was reading concurrently and am now reading The Book Thief. I've watched just a little bit of football the last week or so as well.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 23414 comments Mod
Félix wrote: "I'm reading Interpreter of Maladies and it makes me think I want to go to India."

Jewel in the Crown made me want to go to India, too. But it's so rapey there now. No way would I go.

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Meen wrote: "I'm reading Intimate Matters: A History of Sexuality in America (use the add book tool, y'all! it's fun!), and it's reaffirming my disgust with the various forms of social hierarchies (especially g..."

That's a fantastic book. Fantastic.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sally wrote: "Should I know who Alan Colmes is? (I might erase this if I google it and find out he's freakishly famous)"

Not especially. Think of him as driftwood on the bilgewater of cable television.

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments That was a good year. Wonder what ever became of some of these people.

message 34: by Louise (new)

Louise I just turned on my computer at work :-)
I just finished Travels with Charley: In Search of America, and liked it very much :-) It was a little weird, Steinbeck's language feels very uptodate/present, but then you are suddenly reminded that the book is 50 years old, when he writes about segregation, urbanization and the first years of television.

My face is quite stiff from all the sun I got yesterday, we were at a huge fair with lot's of animals etc, and my husband was carrying around sun lotion in his bag all day, just never got around to applying it...

message 35: by Annette (new)

Annette Hart | 171 comments I want to read the pile of books by my bed! I just don't seem to have much time at the moment. It took me a while to read The Alchemyst which I won in a giveaway - not because it wasn't good, just the time I could give it!

message 36: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments It took me a while to figure out this is an old thread. I always fall for this trick.
What am I doing? I moved Saturday and now I'm trying to catch up on editing assignments while also finding time to enjoy my new home, and working, and doing fun things, and battling pollen. It's exhausting. I'm also reading a book by the author my new street is named after.

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 6988 comments Get some rest, janine. What is your new street called?

message 38: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11459 comments Rowling Road?

message 39: by L.F. (new)

L.F. Falconer | 48 comments Recuperating from vacation...working, working, and working...trying to find a little time for some reading and writing...immersed in the production of my third novel...and getting ready for another vacation!

message 40: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Cynthia wrote: "Get some rest, janine. What is your new street called?"

Bosboom Toussaintstraat. Anna Louisa Geertruida Bosboom-Toussaint is a Dutch author who lived in the 19th century.

message 41: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 6988 comments Whoa. You'll have to spell that out for people over the telephone.

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments janine wrote: "Anna Louisa Geertruida Bosboom-Toussaint is a Dutch author who lived in the 19th century."

What a lovely name.

message 43: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love your rainbow books, j9!

message 44: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Cynthia wrote: "Whoa. You'll have to spell that out for people over the telephone."

I've already had to spell it out a few times

message 45: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sally wrote: "I love your rainbow books, j9!"

Thank you! Now I just need to arrange them in the proper rainbow order.

message 46: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I'm addicted to Fringe... And trying to reorganize my craft room so I can get back in it.

message 47: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 304 comments janine wrote: "It took me a while to figure out this is an old thread. I always fall for this trick.
What am I doing? I moved Saturday and now I'm trying to catch up on editing assignments while also finding tim..."

Janine, I just moved also. All the extra chaos takes away from the reading time. Hope you're getting situated.

message 48: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments I just have lots of stuff to do. Meeting deadlines of assignments, clinics and other things. I'll probably be more active towards the end of the year

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

My father has to have prostate surgery in the next week. They're going to remove it. He's been in agony for weeks, but is doing better now after a round of antibiotics and other medications.

He's 71 and I'm really worried and concerned. When I left this group I was crass and immature. Funny how facing the possible death of a loved one makes a person grow up fast.

message 50: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Sorry, Kyle...

« previous 1