Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Anita Clenney
This topic is about Anita Clenney
Self-Promotion > Need help choosing a series title for my new paranormal series

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments I need help choosing a series title for my paranormal relic hunter series, and since this group has such wonderful paranormal readers, I wanted to ask for opinions. My editor and I don't want to use The Relic Hunters since there's an old TV show by that name, and she doesn't want to confuse readers.

My editor and I like The Relic Chronicles, The Relic Keepers, or The Relic Seekers. It's not limited to these titles. I'm open to all suggestions. Here's a blurb so you know what the story is about.

Paranormal relic hunters series. Indiana Jones ~meets~ Stephanie Plum. The series revolves around: a feisty heroine who has a "sixth sense" and can track humans and objects; her teammate, a mercenary who was rescued from rotting in a prison and hired to keep her safe; and the eccentric billionaire who funds it all and has his own dark secrets. The story has mysterious curses, powerful relics, castles, catacombs, ghosts, and two great heroes that the heroine must choose between.

message 2: by ★ gwiz ★ (new)

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) Have you thought about "Relic Sense"

Good Luck in finding a title :-D

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie  (annieac) Lost Relics?

message 4: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 40 comments I like the Relic Chronicles. Anything with Chronicles always seems to catch my eye.

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 13 comments I agree with Gwendolyn. I like Relic Sense, it just popped to me while reading the blurb.

message 6: by ★ gwiz ★ (last edited Jun 05, 2012 02:52PM) (new)

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) Like Shannon when I read the blurb -- heroine has a "sixth sense" -- relic popped to me in front of sense. That's how I came up with "Relic Sense."

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Gwendolyn wrote: "Have you thought about "Relic Sense"

Good Luck in finding a title :-D"

Gwendolyn, that's one I hadn't thought of. It would make perfect sense. LOL. Pun!!! The heroine's special abilities do play a large role in the story. It's crucial to the story. Another name to toss in the pile. Thank you!

message 8: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) I'm not sure the word relic would catch my eye, but your blurb would so whatever you pick, I'll look forward to reading it! Kinda like Relic Sense though.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Annie wrote: "Lost Relics?"

Annie, I hadn't thought of that either. Wow, I should have come here sooner. I immediately think of LOST, the TV show, which was my favorite show. I like that connection.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Julianne wrote: "I like the Relic Chronicles. Anything with Chronicles always seems to catch my eye."

Julianne, I always like "chronicles" stories. This title was my husband's idea. My editor and I both like it, but we also like the others mentioned. And now I have more to consider. :)

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Shannon wrote: "I agree with Gwendolyn. I like Relic Sense, it just popped to me while reading the blurb."

Shannon, it's interesting that that title immediately jumps out at two of you. I need to give that serious consideration. I want a catchy title and it needs to fit.

message 12: by Shay (new)

Shay | 4 comments I also really like relic chronicles. It really caught my attention.

message 13: by ★ gwiz ★ (last edited Jun 05, 2012 06:24PM) (new)

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) I also like relic chronicles as well but the reason I have decided against using chronicles in my own story is: Chronicles to me is more of a series name instead of an individual book title. Chronicles has been used a lot and others might get the image of the same ol' same ol'. Although, it may be comforting to others to have something that they are used to seeing. A long word in the title such as Chronicles would decrease the size of font on the cover and not stand out as well as a smaller word would.
There are so many considerations needed when choosing a title for a book that at the end relic chronicles/seekers/keepers may be what works best for your book :-D

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Shay wrote: "I also really like relic chronicles. It really caught my attention."

Shay, hubby loved "chronicles" and he's hoping I'll use it. :)

message 15: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Gwendolyn wrote: "I also like relic chronicles as well but the reason I have decided against using chronicles in my own story is: Chronicles to me is more of a series name instead of an individual book title. Chro..."

Gwendolyn, you're absolutely right. But this will be for the series title, not the book title. The first book will be Guardians of Stone. Unless I change that too. :) Do you hate finding titles? It just drives me crazy.

message 16: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Gwendolyn wrote: "I also like relic chronicles as well but the reason I have decided against using chronicles in my own story is: Chronicles to me is more of a series name instead of an individual book title. Chro..."

Gwendolyn, you make a good point regarding the size of the title. I've been so caught up in the other aspects that I hadn't even thought about that.

message 17: by ★ gwiz ★ (new)

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) Anita Clenney wrote: Do you hate finding titles? It just drives me crazy.

Anita, I figure out a new title for a book as the story evolves. However, I still need to stay true to the story with each change. This means I have a trail of computer file's tombstones marking the death of what I thought were previously wonderful names. Yes, it can drive me nuts and my group thinks I'm a flake too :-D

message 18: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Gwendolyn wrote: "Anita Clenney wrote: Do you hate finding titles? It just drives me crazy.

Anita, I figure out a new title for a book as the story evolves. However, I still need to stay true to the story with ea..."

LOL, I'm so indecisive. I labor over titles, and then when I narrow them down to a few, the real pain begins. :) There just so much to consider when choosing titles.

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tlynnkfs) | 13 comments Since it is the series title. What about Sense of Relics. Or Sensing Relics

message 20: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments The Relic Chronicles sounds good :)

How about The Relic Hawker(hunter), Guardian of the Relics, The Relic Warden, Relics Sentinel?

They're all I've got :D I hope that helps

message 21: by Joseph (last edited Jun 06, 2012 08:05AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments If I may make a suggestion from a librarian's viewpoint, regarding choosing a book title I would suggest checking out the Library of Congress catalog or your local libraries' catalogs just to see if anyone else has published a book or series with the same or similiar title to what you would like. Having the job of finding books for patrons, I find it a lot easier to find the right book if the title is at least 3 words long and no one else has used it before. Please, please, please don't pick a single word title. Just something else for you to consider. :-)

message 22: by ★ gwiz ★ (new)

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) I read an informative article about naming a book. I sure I kept it but haven't found it to send on to you. If I find it, I will let you know.

This is what I remember.

Book Titles cannot be copy righted. However, a part that has other uses (toys, clothing) like Harry Potter can have a trade name.

Shorter the better except in rare cases.

Two word titles are the most common then one word.

Unique tend to be better. However, the month this article came out there was 2 or 3 books with the same title and that could be use to your advantage.

The MAIN CONCERN for you and your publisher at this time is what title will sell the most books and hopefully it will tie into your story as well. Just a note: I find that I get ticked off if it doesn’t.

Also a note: whatever anyone names their book (I bet you know this) the true name will always be the ISBN. And isn't that the biggest drag after all that time trying to find the perfect title.

message 23: by ★ gwiz ★ (last edited Jun 06, 2012 12:44PM) (new)

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) Joseph wrote: "If I may make a suggestion from a librarian's viewpoint, regarding choosing a book title I would suggest checking out the Library of Congress catalog or your local libraries' catalogs just to see i..."

Unfortunately the title of a book comes down the one that will sell the most books not on if a library database is up to finding it on its shelves.

message 24: by ★ gwiz ★ (new)

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) Thought of a couple of names for series off the top of the gray matter:

Relic Archivist, Relic Archive, Relic Saga, Relic Psychic

BTW got your Highland Warrior from the library to check them out. Don't know when I'll get to read them as I still have 10 more BOM's to read ;-)

message 25: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Tracy wrote: "Since it is the series title. What about Sense of Relics. Or Sensing Relics"

Tracy, until this group, I hadn't thought of using "Sense" which really fits. I'm getting some great ideas here.

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments CC ~* Waiting for Qhuay *~ wrote: "The Relic Chronicles sounds good :)

How about The Relic Hawker(hunter), Guardian of the Relics, The Relic Warden, Relics Sentinel?

They're all I've got :D I hope that helps"

CC, thanks for the suggestions. My editor also mentioned Guardian of the Relics. Or maybe it was Guardian of Relics, something like that. So good thinking. :)

Oooh, Sentinel. That's a word I hadn't considered, and I should have, because I have really cool sentinels in the story. In fact, the title for the first book, Guardians of Stone, actually refers to these stone sentinels.

message 27: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Joseph wrote: "If I may make a suggestion from a librarian's viewpoint, regarding choosing a book title I would suggest checking out the Library of Congress catalog or your local libraries' catalogs just to see i..."

Hi Joseph, I love librarians! You make an excellent point. I will have to check out these titles to make sure the others aren't taken. I've done a quick Amazon and Google search, but that's the extent. I would love to use The Relic Hunters, but it would just confuse the readers I'm afraid. I can just picture you having to chase the book down for someone. "No, not THAT Relic Hunter. This Relic Hunter." :)

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Gwendolyn wrote: "I read an informative article about naming a book. I sure I kept it but haven't found it to send on to you. If I find it, I will let you know.

This is what I remember.

Book Titles cannot be cop..."

Thanks, Gwendolyn. Very good advice. Most people would think choosing titles is simple. It isn't. How I wish it was. :)

message 29: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Gwendolyn wrote: "Joseph wrote: "If I may make a suggestion from a librarian's viewpoint, regarding choosing a book title I would suggest checking out the Library of Congress catalog or your local libraries' catalo..."

True. The title does have to get the customer's attention. I even considered pushing for the series title, The Relic Hunters, just because I love it, and even if a TV show was named that, so what? I'll get a few people find my book, and maybe they'll pick it up and be pleasantly surprised. But it could also make it harder for people trying to find MY book if there is another with the same title. And I don't want to confuse people or have someone thinking they're getting something they're not. There are probably some pros and cons on both sides.

message 30: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 212 comments Gwendolyn wrote: "Thought of a couple of names for series off the top of the gray matter:

Relic Archivist, Relic Archive, Relic Saga, Relic Psychic

BTW got your Highland Warrior from the library to check them out...."

Thanks for the additional titles, Gwendolyn. And if you get a chance to read Awaken and Embrace, let me know what you think. There are so many books I want to read right now, but I just can't squeeze them all in.