The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > 20.8 - It's My Birthday- Putterpal's task: Have Your Cake And Eat It Too!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 06, 2012 07:02AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18029 comments Mod
20.8 - It's My Birthday - Putterpal's task: Have Your Cake And Eat It Too!

One of the best parts of having a birthday is the cake. Help me choose which kind of cake I should have for my birthday this year.

For this task you will read a book from ONE of the following options:

1) Chocolate Cake- Read a romance. Romance must be listed as a genre on the main page.

2) Red Velvet Cake- Read a book that is set in the South. For this task the Southern States will be defined as TX, OK, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, SC, NC, VA, KY, TN.

3) Marble Cake- Read a multicultural book, multicultural being defined as a relationship between two different cultures, Ex. Ties That Bind, Ties That Break, The Lions of Little Rock, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
This list might help Best Recent Multi-Cultural YA
Keep in mind that not all books on the list may qualify for the task.
Required: Please explain the multicultural aspect of the book if it is not evident in the Goodreads description

4) Banana Cake- Read a humorous book. Humor must be listed as a genre on the main book page. These lists may inspire:
DCPL's Teen Humor
YA Only Best Funny Books on Serious Subjects
Books That Make You Laugh

5) Angel Food Cake- Read a book where the Death of someone is an integral part of the story. Ex. Behind You, A Monster Calls, The Sky Is Everywhere, The Lovely Bones
Required: Please explain how a death is an integral part of the book if it is not evident in the Goodreads description

6) White Cake- Read a book where the TITLE appears in white letters on the cover.
Required: You must post a picture of the cover.

REQUIRED- Tell us which kind of cake you chose.

message 2: by Marie (new)

Marie | 77 comments Reserved

message 3: by Marie (new)

Marie | 77 comments Reserved

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18029 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3017 comments For option 3 Marble Cake multi cultural, Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles and Liar by Justine Larbalestier were on the Best Recent Multicultural Ya list. Would either of these work for multicultural? If not I could use Perfect Chemistry for the romance option.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments That's a cute task, Putterpal!

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Fun! I like!

message 8: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Happy Birthday, Putterpal!

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 982 comments Great task! Will this work for a white title?
Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah Harkness

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie | 77 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "For option 3 Marble Cake multi cultural, Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles and Liar by Justine Larbalestierwere on the Best Recent Multicultural Ya list. Would either of these work for multicultural? If not I coul..."

Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles will work for Multicultural or Romance.
I don't see how Liar by Justine Larbalestier fits as multicultural, but it would work for Angel Food Cake.

message 11: by Marie (new)

Marie | 77 comments Chris wrote: "Great task! Will this work for a white title?
Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah Harkness"

Yes, that works.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 982 comments Fabulous. I am eagerly awaiting the release of this book next month, and so far I hadn't found a slot for it.

message 13: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Would The Poisonwood Bible count for multicultural because it is about Americans in Africa?

message 14: by Marie (new)

Marie | 77 comments Rosemary wrote: "Would The Poisonwood Bible count for multicultural because it is about Americans in Africa?"

Yes, that will work.

message 15: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 520 comments I'm very excited to do this task. Love it!

message 16: by mussolet (last edited Jun 18, 2012 01:48AM) (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) For a European person, will a book set in a southern European country work for the second option? Or does it have to be a US state? (I'm German and would pick a book set in Italy?)

I've picked a different book...
Will My Louisiana Sky work for the Angel Food Cake? (Because (view spoiler)?

Also, what is an Angel Food Cake and how do I make it? Otherwise I can't eat it ;).

message 17: by Marie (new)

Marie | 77 comments yes, My Louisiana Sky works for angel food cake.

Angel food cake is a really light (spongy) type cake made out of a lot of egg whites.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade...

message 18: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) Marie wrote: "yes, My Louisiana Sky works for angel food cake.

Angel food cake is a really light (spongy) type cake made out of a lot of egg whites.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade......"

Yummm. Will tell you how it went down with my strawberry-loving mum :).