What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Shipwreck Bay
This topic is about Shipwreck Bay
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Shipwreck/Storm/Children on Island with First Mate [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (everlastingscribe) | 8 comments I discovered this book in the 80's but I don't know if it was old at THAT time. What I remember is this. It starts off as a sailing trip (don't think it's really sail powered, more modern than that)there's a family that goes out on the ocean and they're well versed with how to take care of the ship they're on. There's a crew too, and the first mate is a young man, probably early twenties with a peg-leg from the shin down. The story is told, I think, in log form, and written by the younger brother. He talks about the fact that the First mate lost his leg in an accident but he makes up stories when people ask him how he lost it because he's tired of being asked so he says that a crocodile took it off, that he lost to to cannibals, that he was marooned and forced to eat it. A storm comes up and the boat is battered to bits, or the older sister, the first mate, and the boy are washed over board. They make it to an island and have to try and survive together.

The girl is probably mid teens, the boy maybe ten, and they both kinda resent the first mate telling them what they need to do to survive. But then the girl begins to change, and is attracted to the first mate. It's told through the eyes of brother, so he knows somethings going on between them but he's not sure what. It's just attraction between the girl and the first mate, nothing more. He's very honorable.

After some adventures they cobble together a boat and head off the island. I remember distinctly that the boy describes two things as they go back out into the open water

1.) his sister is at the bow and is attacked by an octopus that got up into the boat on a wave or something, and she had terrible welts from its suckers over her face and hands and neck. She then 'slept on the floor near whoever was at the tiller from then on'

2.) at some point they manage to harpoon a dolphin to eat (they think it is a shark) and the boy is so upset--he writes about the beautiful colors that it turned before it died --and its written so well, this particular vignette you realize he's growing up from boy to man, when he goes ahead and eats it.

They manage to get to a ship, I think a cargo vessel of some kind, and get home all three of them and are reunited with the family. I believe it ends with the father giving permission for the daughter to see the First mate, and she talks about 'dating' him as well as going off to college.

That's what makes me think it's more modern--not historical fiction.

As you can see, it's left deep prints on my memory. If only the title had stuck!

Any thoughts or pointers would be so very welcome!

There might have been some illustrations in it

message 2: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments I thought of this book before I knew the plot details! As I've yet to read it.
SHIPWRECK BAY By Marian Rumsey
Kirkus Review confirms spoiler details.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
Michelle, was bookel's suggestion your book?

message 4: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments If you can privately message OP that might be a good idea, if they didn't receive an email message.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

I personally don't like to use my GR messaging to do that, but if anyone else, mods or otherwise, likes to send and receive PMs, they should feel free.

message 6: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments There may be more new replies, but this is the only notification you will receive until you visit the discussion again. -- that is in email notifications but easy to ignore. People might not receive a notice beyond the original and it could be forgotten and subsequent questions missed.

message 7: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 945 comments bookel, we all know about the email notice. Lobstergirl just isn't comfortable using her GR account to do that. There's no rule that it has to be a mod so feel free to do so anytime and just mention that you sent a pm in the thread. I just tried pming Michelle but she is not accepting messages. This once I went the extra-step and followed her links to her wordpress site and commented over there. But I feel like a stalker going that far. ;)

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (everlastingscribe) | 8 comments Bookel, I do believe you've absolutely found it! There can't be two books of that description floating around. I'm so sorry I'm late getting back to this. I've had serious issues with life (including infection in my sinuses and root canals as well as author signings at work) but thank you, thank you, thank you !

message 9: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 945 comments Awesome. This needs to be moved to solved by Michelle or a mod! :)

message 10: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments That's great. Glad it's another one solved.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Cool. I'm moving this to the SOLVED folder but I can't add the book to the GR database because I'm having email verification issues. I'll post in the librarian's group to have someone add the book, then it can be searched and shelved.

message 12: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments SparksofEmber - I did not know. I send pm sometimes in case they miss a reply, but it cannot be done via the mobile device. Most people seem grateful for the message. If not no harm in asking.

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16964 comments Shipwreck Bay for the link.