Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Blood Red Road > Final Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) What is your overall impression of the books and are you interested in reading its upcoming sequel - Rebel Heart?

message 2: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (livingisreading) Tatiana wrote: "What is your overall impression of the books and are you interested in reading its upcoming sequel - Rebel Heart?"

Was extremely entertained, and I loved Saba's character. Definitely interested in Rebel Heart (however I'm not really into the title. Sounds like some western romance).

message 3: by may (new)

may (mayriella) Entertaining and Saba is one of a kind. I'm definitely exciting about Rebel Heart. Quiet upset about the title, not as lyrical as "Blood red road". But this is just a first impression.

First I was ripped in pieces to wait until October 30th (publication date according to goodreads) and then I found this.....

message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) marion wrote: "Entertaining and Saba is one of a kind. I'm definitely exciting about Rebel Heart. Quiet upset about the title, not as lyrical as "Blood red road". But this is just a first impression.

First I was..."

I didn't know it will come out earlier in UK.

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Overall, I really enjoyed Blood Red Road. I found some things to be derivative; other things were predictable. But I'm hooked by the story and can't wait for the sequel to find out what's going to happen next.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I really had fun reading this book as my friend joined me in reading this book. I am really looking forward for the sequel which I will get in August..

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona It took me a little while to settle into the book but suddenly about halfway through i just got absorbed and spent all of today around work finishing it. Definitely a good read :)
I think i might pick up the sequel, more curious to see where their path leads them next :)

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
It's taking me forever to really get into the book. Half way through and I am just not loving it yet.

message 9: by Randie (new)

Randie D. Camp, M.S. (randie87) | 9 comments Like Angie, it took me awhile to get into the book but once Saba acquired the "red hot", I did too. I enjoyed the development of the characters, the amount of action, and many perspectives that Saba considers (fate, reading stars, listening to the wind, the heart stone, etc).

I feel like there is much to learn about Jack and it seems that 'Rebel Heart' will focus more on him...I am excited to read it and I am a little bit heartbroken that some people will have the opportunity to read it in August, I'll be anxiously waiting for October.

message 10: by Grace (last edited Jun 17, 2012 05:10PM) (new)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments No one commented on Saba's dreams about things that haven't happened yet. She seems to have a talent similar to her father's. He would tell her and Lugh about things that were going to happen explaining that he saw them in the stars. Saba sees things in her dreams and uses her foreknowledge to help her. For example, after dreaming about searching for someone in a fire she finds herself searching for Jack in a fire. She persisted with her search and found Jack and saved his life because of her dream.

I'm hoping the next book expands on her precognitive ability.

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Marion Mai wrote: "Entertaining and Saba is one of a kind. I'm definitely exciting about Rebel Heart. Quiet upset about the title, not as lyrical as "Blood red road". But this is just a first impression.

First I was..."

that is cool how you can copy twitter responses!! How did you do that?

message 12: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Grace wrote: "No one commented on Saba's dreams about things that haven't happened yet. She seems to have a talent similar to her father's. He would tell her and Lugh about things that were going to happen expla..."

oh yea! I liked that too. But this brings up another point. If her father knew this was all going to happen I don't understand why he didn't tell his kids... instead of looking at the stars. I guess he knew it was their destiny but at least prepare then without telling them. He could've help Emmi learn more. And why didn't he tell them more about the world?

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Jun 17, 2012 10:56PM) (new)

Now that I am finished with the book I did enjoy it. It was very slow for me though when I first started it. I'm not sure why.. the story was moving along just fine but didn't take off for me until after Hopetown.

I will read the next book. I am interested in what happens to everyone. Though I did think the end was odd with Jack just leaving without saying goodbye and then Saba having to have to chase him down. That part was a little dramatic for me. Who leaves without even saying bye?

Also, I read this about the names used in the book: Lugh is an extremely appropriate name--he is a Celtic god/mythological hero, often associated with the sun. Maev and Epona are also goddess names. So that is interesting. Don't know if Saba and Nero mean anything?

I am quite curious about the movie now. Ridley Scott picked it up?? That's pretty big. Of course sometimes it takes forever for a book to actually become a movie, just because the rights were purchased doesn't mean this will actually happen.

The no quotation marks in the book drove me nuts!! I had to re-read a lot of lines because of this.

message 14: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

I suppose this answers the no quotes and gives more info about the dialect in the book. Ms. Young said:
My failed attempts to tell Saba's story conventionally over a period of more than three years forced me to start all over again, with a blank sheet of paper. As I sat there, not knowing what to expect, only knowing that I had to get out of my own way and stop thinking so much, Saba began to speak. Clearly, directly and really very much as you see it on the page in the finished book. I could hear her voice in my head.

It's not a dialect of any one place or time. I've used words that my husband's Nottinghamshire aunt used, phrases from my Cornish grandfather, my Scottish father, friends, people I overhear on the bus. And what I found was that in her cobbled together, scavenger world, Saba uses a cobbled together, scavenger form of English.

I tried to feel the rhythms and arcs in the simplicity of the language in order to urge the story on, so that the language of the book and the way it appeared on the page would match the pace of the story. So that we'd feel the sharp urgency of Saba's quest and how she is feeling inside.

That's also why I chose not to use quotation marks or closed word endings. I wanted the reader's eye to move across the page without interruption and without the insertion of a narrator (which quotation marks do). My main aim was to write a page-turner that would be hard to put down and I wanted the language to be part of that.

I guess that makes a little more sense now. But it did mess with my sense of reading.

message 15: by Grace (new)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "oh yea! I liked that too. But this brings up another point. If her father knew this was all going to happen I don't understand why he didn't tell his kids... instead of looking at the stars."

I think he was able to see only as far as his own death and he did try to warn them about that. He tried to prepare Saba by warning her that she would have to take care of Lugh and Emmi.

As for looking at the stars - I think that's where he got his visions - not in his dreams.

message 16: by Grace (new)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "Who leaves without even saying bye? "

Someone who's been told repeatedly that there's no room for him in a girl's life and who wants to just fade quietly away when that girl finally finds the person she's been looking for. Someone who doesn't want to intrude in a private, family celebration. Someone who feels he's not a part of things happening around him even though he has played an important part in making them happen.

message 17: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Grace wrote: "Angie wrote: "Who leaves without even saying bye? "

Someone who's been told repeatedly that there's no room for him in a girl's life and who wants to just fade quietly away when that girl finally ..."

I can see that... but after everything they've been through you are going to just disappear? And hadn't they just expressed their love to each other? (they meaning Jack and Saba).

message 18: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

What do you guys think about Demalo?

message 19: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Angie wrote: "What do you guys think about Demalo?"

Can you remind me who Demalo is?

message 20: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljay_lilabird) | 4 comments Angie wrote: "What do you guys think about Demalo?"

I hopes he's that itch that Saba can't scratch. He's got the potential to be a good antagonist with how Saba gets all freaked out at the sight of him. I hope he gets more spotlight in this next installment.

message 21: by *Layali* (last edited Jun 19, 2012 11:30PM) (new)

*Layali* (layalireads) | 94 comments Tatiana wrote: "Can you remind me who Demalo is?"

DeMalo was one of the Tonton that had stayed by the King's side throughout most of the book. Saba had gotten weird vibes from him and almost couldn't stand to look at him. She claimed that it was clear that he despised the king, which is apparent later on when he sets Saba free at Pine Top Hill.

At first, I thought DeMalo would be Saba's love interest... Until I had remembered the heartstone and it went crazy near Jack. Like Ghirardelli had mentioned, I also hope to see more of DeMalo in later books. He was so mysterious and intriguing!

message 22: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Oh yes, this man was quite a mystery. It would be interesting to know if he is a part of something bigger. I guess we shall see if he shows up in Rebel Heart.

message 23: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

I do hope that Demalo is NOT a love interest.. please no love triangle! I loved how there was a mysterious character. He seemed to know her so I think he must've known her parents. I don't think his age was ever revealed.

message 24: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) No love triangles!

message 25: by *Layali* (new)

*Layali* (layalireads) | 94 comments Agreed! Those are exhausting...

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo Yhard (joannyhard) Overall, unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of this book.

The lack of quotation marks was distracting for me. I was continually trying to figure out if it was dialogue or internal dialogue and then who said it. It brought me out of the story.

Also, I didn't care for the dialect. If it was a degeneration of the language, how could sectors of the population, who had never been together, speak in exactly the same way? It also made the characters all sound the same.

I also had an issue with the worm scene. How can worms that live underground in a desolate and unfrequented desert be so plentiful? Would food not have been in short supply? Were there tons of people crossing this area that was noted to have few travelers? And if they were hungry, as they would have to be, why didn't the worms stop to feast when another of their kind was killed? Would they pass up a sure meal for the possibility of catching a fleeing skinny human? It didn't fly for me.

These issues, and others, made me not "buy in" to this world, resulting in a lack of connection to the characters.

message 27: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I understood the writing style not as a sign of a degeneration of the language, but simply as a reflection of Saba's ignorance. In my mind, she simply doesn't know how to spell things.

I also listened to audio book and when the dialect is actually read it's sounds almost exactly like our present day spoken English.

message 28: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

JoAnn wrote: "Overall, unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of this book.

The lack of quotation marks was distracting for me. I was continually trying to figure out if it was dialogue or internal dialogue and then wh..."

This reminds me!!! I had a problem with the worm section. If they are sooo big that they break holes in the earth, where were the old holes? Dirt doesn't just fall back together hard and in place? I was picturing worms like the worms in the movie Tremors. I am pretty sure there were no holes there before Saba and the group walked out there... otherwise they wouldn't have wondered why Jack wanted to get across so fast right?

So do you think this story is like a diary of Saba's? Interesting to hear that in the audio version the words sound the same as ours... so that would mean that Saba just can't spell. I doubt the author would let the audio book be pronounced wrong. Too bad I didn't think of this question about the sounds of the words BEFORE the Q&A was over!! errr!!

message 29: by Tatiana (last edited Jun 22, 2012 06:25AM) (new)

message 30: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Jun 22, 2012 02:48PM) (new)

Tatiana wrote: "You can sample audios here:

US:

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?...

UK:

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_2?..."

Since Saba was telling the story... was the whole book on audio in her voice?

Edit... well I just listened to the sample and I hear that she does. Funny thing is when I read it and a male spoke I heard it in a male voice.

message 31: by Grace (new)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "I do hope that Demalo is NOT a love interest... I loved how there was a mysterious character. He seemed to know her ..."

I got the impression that something about Saba was familiar to him - not so much that he knew who she was but that he knew about her although not specifically who she is.

I think he may sense that she has hidden abilities - her precognition. Maybe he has precognitive abilities too and has had visions of her.

message 32: by Theo (last edited Jun 28, 2012 08:53PM) (new)

Theo | 116 comments I really liked this. It's funny, when I read the novel I heard an Appalachian-type dialect in my head (it's where I grew up), but in the author Q & A, Moira Young mentioned British influences on the language she used. I wonder what the character's will sound like in the film.

I am also intrigued by the connection between DeMalo and Saba. She seems to feel like he can read her thoughts or feel her emotions, and her precognition through the dreams about Jake and Epona definitely makes me think they have a psychic connection.

message 33: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Did anyone know there was a big deal about a bad review of this book? Here is some info on it here: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by...

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee I think I'm in the minority here. I just could not get into this book, at all. I think for me the way it was written never worked for me, and rather gave me a headache. Props to Young for taking that risk, but it wasn't for me.

Young Adult Book Reading Challenges

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rebel Heart (other topics)