Start by marking “Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)

Rebel Heart

(Dust Lands #2)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  18,461 ratings  ·  2,011 reviews
Saba thought her world would return to normal after they defeated the Tonton and rescued her kidnapped brother Lugh. The family head west for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But a formidable enemy is on the rise. What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants?
Published October 30th 2012 by Margaret K. McElderry

To ask other readers questions about Rebel Heart, please sign up.
Britney I think that is is more of a dystopian that takes place after the "apocalypse". It is also a YA science fiction(y) novel.
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,523 books — 15,760 voters
YA Novels of 2012
1,323 books — 10,713 voters

More lists with this book...

Kenia
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sequels
UPDATE 9/3/12 guise. oh. my. jesus. bale. que? I just read a spoiler and I just..

(view spoiler)

UPDATE 9/2/12 Giveaway? ... well don't mind if I do

UPDATE 2/4/12 OCTOBER 30TH?! i need to cut someone

UPDATE 1/12/12 A COVER?! IS THAT JACK? -someone needs to slap this grin off my face-

2012?

Meredith Holley
YA writing often lives on surfaces: the girl with the blue eyes fights with the dude with the grey eyes, car chase, change of clothes, somebody dies, blue eyes and grey eyes kiss, to be continued. I find some storytellers exceptionally good at that type of writing. For example, Kristin Cashore knocked it out of the park with Graceling; Veronica Roth hit it with Divergent; and, of course, Suzanne Collins took that story, shook it all up, turned it upside down and used it as a mirror for the broke ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

I have a small confession to make, though it’s hardly a secret since my review is here for all to see: I wasn’t really a fan of Blood Red Road. In fact, I was so disappointed by it that I never intended to read Rebel Heart. That said, I’m happy it showed up on my doorstep completely unexpectedly. Painful as it may be, I like the direction the story is taking.

Rather than focusing on giant killer worms, Moira Young decided to explore the extent of human cruelty and willingness to survive
Leah
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When i found out the sequel was coming out this year

image

When i found out it was coming out in October..

image

Pickle Rick
Mar 06, 2012 added it
Shelves: ya
If DeMalo is not in this book, I will flip shits. What would have been the point of all those sexual tensions from the previous book? And he saved her life. Umm, yeah, that's a pretty big deal.
Apr 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one if you loved the first book. Just keep reading that one and imagine your own ending.
Recommended to Queen Keely Tubbs of Salt "the Last of the Moral, Conservative Catholics on the Internet" (aka *Keelskilo*) by: Myself-agh! You fool, past self, you foolish fool!
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO-OOOOOOOO!!!!!!

WHAT THE H#&& ARE YOU DOING, MOIRA YOUNG??!!! I THOUGHT I WAS SAFE! I THOUGHT I COULD READ THIS SERIES FREE OF LOVE-TRIANGLES! INSTEAD, YOU GAVE ME A FLIPPIN' LOVE SQUARE!!!

WHY CAN'T I ESCAPE??? Everywhere I go....YA love triangles...Everywhere...Everywhere...Why can't authors write about a teenaged girl who actually has to make some tough choices in life other than just which guy she wants to end up sleeping with? (Because apparently, in YA, "l
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
I read Rebel Heart several weeks ago by now, and I still can't decide how I feel about it. Let's just say, I had a lot of mixed feelings about it. While I enjoyed it, there were several things in it that infuriated me. And over all, I thought it was kind of a disappointing follow-up to Blood Red Road.

I was in love with the first book. It was like someone had taken The Knife of Never Letting Go and The House of the Scorpion and combined them into one crazy story. Not to mention, it had a kickass
C.G. Drews
IF I DO NOT GET MY GRUBBY PAWS ON THE NEXT BOOK IMMEDIATELY, I MAY PASS OUT. That was so so ridiculously, suffocatingly good. And horrible. I hate this book. I'm having a heart attack, okay? If you see someone screaming in the corner and beating their head against the floor -- that'd be me. I AM IN PAIN, FOLKS. This books. omg.

So basically there are NO second book blues here. This one dives into a more emotional side...and the plot IS kind of similar. But I didn't even care?! Because it FIT and
Trudi
I don't know, maybe I'm just getting too old and curmudgeonly for these types of stories. Too much angst and melodrama, this time around, not nearly enough of that spectacle and heart-stopping action found in Blood Red Road. Even the excruciating dialect and lack of punctuation bothered me, when I barely noticed it last time, so engrossed was I in the story.

Hardly any Jack. I wanted more of his part of the story, and not just his absence and Saba's brooding over possible deceits and betrayals.
Giselle
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own
The long anticipated sequel to Blood Red Road is finally here! Rebel Heart reacquaints us with our stubborn and fierce protagonist, Saba, after she found her brother, after Jack left her, after everything has become so complicated. And the fact that she is seeing things, things that aren't there, is not making it easier.

What I enjoyed the most from the first book is what has been the most polarized; you either love the writing style, or you hate it. Myself, I looked forward to being propelled i
Maureen
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
THAT LAST BIT MADE ME NOT OKAY AT ALL.
I’m really really enjoying this series. There’s so much happening and so much foreshadowing and things coming full circle and I just...I really like it.
Also yes plz protect the earth let’s not become the Wreckers okay? Okay.
Reynje
A friend and I were recently discussing what we call the Plot Slap: when it feels exactly like a book leaps out of your hands, smacks you in the face, and crows ’Bet you didn’t see that coming, did you?’

That’s what reading Rebel Heart felt like. Repeatedly.

In general, I’m a fan of novels with plots that evolve in surprising, unpredictable ways. But rather than just throwing up a couple of twists, Rebel Heart feels like a sudden, sharp turn from Blood Red Road, bolting away in a completely unexp
AJ
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*sigh* It was ok, but I was hoping for so much more!

This book suffered from ‘middle book syndrome’. I felt like the entire book was a set up for the next and final book of the trilogy. We met some new characters and a couple of important things happened, but it was really drawn out. I actually considered putting the book down at one stage, but the promise of Saba’s reunion with Jack kept me going. (view spoiler)
Keertana
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I think we're all aware, and familiar with, the concept of the second novel in a trilogy being the weakest link of the series. Rebel Heart, however, for all its flaws, is actually a much stronger novel than Blood Red Road ever was. If we think back to Blood Red Road, it was nothing more than an engaging, fast-paced, and page-flipping dystopian novel. Yet, Rebel Heart, despite its page-flipping action, is also a much slower, deeper, and intoxicating tale. Yes, there we
Stacia (the 2010 club)
What is up lately with me and books that almost made it to the DNF pile, only to be yanked back at the last second, when a scene all of a sudden grabs me by the throat and forces me to keep reading?

Yes, I completely meant that. Certain books are pulling a master/slave act on me, telling me that I will like them...or else. I can feel the books almost glaring at me, daring me to push them, else I feel their punishing wrath.

WHY BOOKS, WHY?!? I want my reading experiences to be black and white - eit
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
What. The. Hell. Did. I. Just. Read?

After relatively enjoying Blood Red Road I thought there were high chances this book could bring me out of my latest reading slump, but little did I know it would destroy these hopes… Completely and utterly. After a slow start things went from bad, to worse, to throw book into the pond terrible. And all for 2 reasons:

1) Saba is an idiot. The bad-ass fighter from book 1 is gone, replaced with a girl haunted by the ghosts of her decisions (incredibly interesting
๑ஜ๑ Jαѕмιиє ๑ஜ๑
18-Oct-12: Ok, I'm puttin this back up to 2 stars. When I finished, I was thinking of rating it three, but I was so annoyed I rated it two. Then I kept talking about it & thinking about it, & I got so angry that rated it one. I deserves more than one though, so while I can't bring myself to rate it three, I will give it two. Barely.

1-Oct-12: I originally rated this two stars, but I've decided to rate it one. I'm just so mad. And when I look back to see what things I liked? I remember nex
Alaina
Rebel Heart is a pretty good sequel book for this series. It's not the best of the best or better than the first book.. but it was pretty decent to read.

The characters were okay, I shipped a couple of people together.. but knowing my luck that ship will probably be burned down to the bottom of the sea. I'm terrible at picking ships people! But hey, if Saba and Demalo could find a way to be together just to prove me wrong.. then I will give them a slow clap and all the props to them. Speaking of
Masako Lin
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I feel that this book really needs a warning, that this isn't really the sequel to Blood Red Road. I mean on the surface it is because it takes place right after the events of BRR but in terms of essence, characterization and definitely writing style Rebel Heart is no way a direct sequel to BRR.

Now the main problem is that I had just skimmed through Blood Red Road prior to reading Rebel Heart (just to refresh my memory) and I couldn't help feel how jarring the differences between the two books a
Kilikina
Hurt. Betrayed. Deceived.

OHMIGAWD. MY TEARS.

I literally cannot even think straight. I can't..I wasn't expecting this book to be so emotionally draining. I never in a million years would have thought the book would have played out like this. I couldn't have asked for a better sequel.

(view spoiler)
Maria
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maria by: Janus the Erudite Artist
Shelves: dystopia, ya
I like Rebel Heart.

*****

Have you read Insurgent by Veronica Roth? If yes, ever thought that Tris was annoying and mind-numbingly useless? Well, she's got a twin. In the form of Saba.

For a moment, I thought about giving Rebel Heart a 4. But I realized I had a few issues that kept bothering me.

1. What happened to Lugh in the hands of the Tonton that made him such a prick to Saba?
2. The "destiny" and "all in the stars" crap that Saba's father told her were as vague as ever.
3. The story behind Jack'
Paul E. Morph
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this middle chapter of the trilogy more than the first one. While the first book was a decent dystopian quest but nothing really special, this one had some moments that really got to me. There was one section that actually gave me the serious wim-wams... I'm looking forward to the third part even more now.
Red_Queen_Lover
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was actually pretty decent. The first book was better, but this book left a cliffhanger at the end that made me want to read more.It started out super slow, so the only interesting parts were the last three chapters of the book. I'm hoping the third book is better.
Eden
Jan 11, 2012 marked it as to-read
So, not only is this title probably one of the lamest things ever (really? After Blood Red Road you come up with REBEL HEART? Why not title the next one Wild Fierce Passion?), the cover. is. boring. I think that's the worst insult I can come up with.
And guess what? It ONLY MATCHES THE FIRST NOVEL'S PAPERBACK. Aren't we all a little too damn sick of this incongruity? (Also: is a stick coming out of Hunky McHunkerson's butt?)

(Guys, look at that. This awful cover made me swear online. *glares at S&
Maria (highinthebooksky)
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
i was constantly thinking : where is jack???
apart from that the story was really gripping and cool as the first one ... I had my issues with saba towards the end but overall she was a great heroine! :-)
Kevin
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Saba...what will I ever do with you....

Even though Rebel Heart for the majority has the same cast and problems based on Blood Red Road, this is a completely different novel, and not quite up to the high standards of the first. For one, Saba has changed immensely. In the first book of the Dustlands series, she is named the "Angel of Death" and with good reason, she has to be one of the fiercest female heroines in all the young adult books that I've read. She is that girl that I would step asid
Lucia
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
SERIES RATING AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:
Book 1: Blood Red Road- 4 STARS
Book 2: Rebel Heart - 2 STARS
Book 3: Raging Star - 2.5 STARS

This is the most conflicted I have ever felt about book series. I adored some parts of this trilogy and hated the others. Let's see what are pluses and minuses of Dust Lands trilogy.

(+) REALISTIC NARRATOR
Saba, the narrator and heroine of this trilogy, is bold, rude, vicious and very determined. On the top of that she is selfish and stubborn. Surprisingly, instead of
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Epic. Crazy. Even better than the first book, and seeing how BRR was one of my favorite reads last year, that's major.

**Updated**

Hurt.
Betrayed.
Deceived.

Those are the last three words of this book, but they sum up the whole of this novel beautifully. Those same words appear over and over in the novel, and the characters feel them time and again. I think every reader will come to know them as truth by the end, as well. (I know I felt gutted by the time I finished, anyway.)

If Blood Red Road was a s
Kinga
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Why did they abandon the beautiful cover illustration of the book one and redesigned the whole series to look like a video game?

Obviously a rhetorical question, since we all know the reason.

'Rebel Heart' - a great title for a great book. The writing is still superb, the characters vivid, endearing and so full of personalities. This is book two in the series so inevitably a love triangle is formed – it seems to be a rule in all those YA series but I’m ok with the formula. After all, the love st
2.5
There are many things I dislike in books; love triangles, insta-love, characters who don’t communicate, too flowery and pretentious pose and so on.
My biggest bookish pet peeve is boredom. Not slow pacing of lack of events, but when a book loses my interest.
When that happens, the rating sky drops.
The plot of Rebel Heart is okay and improves as the book goes on, but boy did it take long to get there.

There is a lot of walking, and this gave great opportunity for us to get to know the characters,
End of the book!?? - SPOILERS!!! 62 390 Nov 17, 2015 01:09PM
Am I the only one whose opinion of DeMalo changes in book 2? 15 65 Nov 12, 2015 01:12PM
DeMalo? 11 32 Nov 06, 2014 05:15AM
DeMalo? *spoilers* 9 180 Aug 23, 2014 01:43PM
Does anyone else not like Lugh that much? 17 35 Jul 07, 2014 02:17PM
Demalo - Evil? 16 272 May 24, 2014 10:54AM
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • Shadows (Ashes Trilogy, #2)
  • Promised (Birthmarked, #3)
  • Fuse (Pure #2)
  • The Drowned Cities (Ship Breaker, #2)
  • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
  • Surrender (Possession #2)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Fragments (Partials Sequence, #2)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Because It Is My Blood (Birthright, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • Renegade (The Elysium Chronicles, #1)
Moira Young is from Vancouver, BC and now lives in the UK. A former actor and opera singer, her debut novel, Blood Red Road, first in the Dustlands trilogy, was published in 2011 to international acclaim. It won a host of prizes including the Costa Children’s Book Award, the British Columbia Book Prize for Children’s Literature and France's Le Prix des Incorruptibles. In the USA it won a Cybils Aw ...more

Dust Lands (3 books)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Raging Star (Dust Lands, #3)
“All the time I’ve knowed you, Jack, you kept the door to that heart of yers locked up tight an the key hid away. Looks like she found it.
He says nothing. Molly waits. Then:
Keys ain’t her style, he says. She kicked the door down.”
139 likes
“Don’t you dare walk away from this, Jack, don’t you dare, Molly says fiercely. Most people don’t ever feel what yer feeling. Be with her. An if it lasts one hour, one night, a week a month, it don’t matter. Be with her, burn with her, shine with her… fer whatever time’s given to you.” 74 likes