Terminalcoffee discussion

Sally's socket > Reason # 302 why I hate this time of year (Jim and Larry test their theories) Arachnophiles come on in! Arachnophobes, beware,

Comments Showing 1-50 of 176 (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
302. It is so dry out. Dry dry dry. I have three different kinds of lotion I must apply in layers. Two lip balms, and one special hand cream. I use conditioner in the shower and leave in cream afterwords.
Yet I'm still crackly and itchy.

I try not to shower every single day, and I try not to use the hottest water possible (how much I long to, the hot hotness feels so good)

I drink three or four large bottles of water a day. But that is not the problem. It is just so ding-dang dry out here.

When I lived in PDX (Have you noticed that I have an old-woman broken record thing about me about the two years I lived there, as though my life pivots around that time? Well it does.) When I lived in PDX I didn't need three kinds of lotion and four kinds of balm to get through the day. The moisture came in the air. I also didn't really use sunglasses for anything but fashion.

Here it is like eyeball kamikaze to step outside in January without the highest quality UV blocking shades.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments it gets so dry here sometimes i just fill a barrel up with butter flavored crisco and soak in it while reading my Intellectual Devotional book. not only is my skin no longer dry but i also can slip into my clothes alot easier

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Funny, I was just telling someone that the air in the building in which I work is really dry. I have two table fountains in my office that serve as de facto humidifiers because I have to refill them every day.

And I'm a humidifier whore at home. I've got a hugeass one from Costco that runs pretty much all the time.

Is it worse because you're in the mountains or something, Sally?

Kevin...maybe I'll try that in the bath tonight...

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Kevin, I think that you are ready to be deep fried with that get up.

RA, I think that the elevation does have something to do with it.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Careful with the deep fried thing, Kevin. Heidi might be hungry.

:)

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments when i was a kid people used to put pans of water on their radiators to humidify the rooms when it got too dry out. aside from being kooky and dangerous it worked. i have hot water boiler heat so my house is not so dry but if you have gas-forced heating it gets really really dry. then you have to try crisco or for the vegetarians in this group you can spray I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on yourself

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments We have radiators too, Kevin...but for some reason I still feel like I need the humidifier. I love when the air is so humid that I feel like I'm in a greenhouse.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

I don't have hot water boiler heat or gas heat
just some gigantic forced air machine.

At my parents house they have a humidifier hooked up to the central air system. It is like the Mauna Kai over there.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments then you should move to ATL in the summer :)

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

That sounds refreshing.

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica DuBois for some reason, i am loving winter this year. maybe it is because i've become such a hermit. maybe it's because i like to hide. i like to be bundled in many layers and sit in front of the fire. i like all sorts of hot drinks in mugs. i had a problem with dryness, but i run a humidifier all night, like others do. i lived in florida once for a year, right next to the ocean. when i left, i felt like the whole world was so dry, it was painful. it is hard to describe how horrible it is to go from the wet shore of the ocean to the inlands...it is worse than the dryness of winter..

message 12: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Oh yack, you people are insane. Summer humidity is ABYSMAL down here. It's just gross.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Erica, from one midwestern resident to another, I agree, winter is awesome. I could never live somewhere with eternal summer.

I don't think I'd want to move to Atlanta. I agree with Mindy, southern humidity makes me angry and irritable. But that's different than humidity from a humidifier in a greenhouse. I'm not sure I can explain it.

message 14: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Greenhouse humidity is pleasant and "natural." Southern humidity is fucking miserable. It smacks you in the face as soon as you walk out the door. It coats you like slime!

*scratches Tulane off the law school list*

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments stepping off a plane in Central America is like someone laying wet towels all over you when you are fully clothed. you see people sitting outside in cafe's having a coffee or eating and you are like "holy crap, i can't even breathe let alone eat anything". ATL or ALA on a summer night can be like breathing in a sauna

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RA... :P

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I remember stepping out of the airport terminal in Austin in August and having my sunglasses immediately fog over. That, folks, is too much fucking humidity.

The best place on Earth (that I've found) is on the side of Mt Haleakala on Maui, about half way up. The breeze is always blowing, and the temp is always perfect, with just the right amount of humidity.

I know a guy who works for $7/hr flying tour helicopters just so he can live there. No heat, no air conditioning.

message 18: by Charly (new)

Charly Sally
when we had forced hot air as our heatiing system I had a bunch of those plastic cups the sell soda in at the ball park. We filled them with water and put them in front of the vents so the air would blow over the water. It wasn't the greatest system but it did help.

message 19: by Félix (last edited Feb 07, 2009 10:10PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I don't know. I think butter flavored Crisco tastes like crap really bad.

Wait ... where am I? Is it Sunday yet? Fuck Darn.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments We're having icy cold fog these mornings, brrr.

Yes, it's Sunday, Larry. What are you doing with that Crisco, anyways? You're not supposed to eat it like butter...

message 21: by Félix (last edited Feb 08, 2009 11:13AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments You're not supposed to eat it like butter...

Then why on earth put butter flavor in it? Now I'm really confused.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Crisco is for baking, I believe, but should be avoided as much as possible. For example, don't grease your hair back with it, as it is impossible to wash out...

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I'll remember that for sure.

Did you know that if you heat Crisco up and let it sit for a while it turns back to its natural color -- black.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Black? Really? I would think it'd be kind of yellowy and sallow.
I just know that it's hydrogenated, which is very unhealthy.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Butter-flavored Crisco is a two-birds-with-one-stone trick for pie makers. Whether to use butter (for flavor) or shortening (for flakiness)? Both! With Crisco Butter-Flavored Shortening!

message 26: by Félix (last edited Feb 08, 2009 11:29AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Yup. Black and sticky.

OK, now I'm extra confused. Are we baking or throwing stones at birds?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

If it turns black, it's probably burnt. It gets pretty hot while baking in pie form, and does not turn black.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

We are baking and throwing the black burnt pieces at the birds.

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i use butter flavored crisco for sunscreen when i want to get a good base

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Note to self: don't let Kevin sit on any upholstered furniture...

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments As Paul Simon so aptly said, "Slip sliding away ..."

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

But it helps with his leather pants.

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Oh yes Jim. So true. So true. But it need not be butter flavored for that purpose.

message 34: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Only when he wants to feel fancy.

message 35: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i always have a craving for popcorn and i keep thinking i smell bacon frying while lying in the sun and reading rolling stone magazine when i do that

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments That's reminds me of how heaven has been described.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

As kevin suntanning, smelling like popcorn & bacon?

I hope my heaven is different Larry ;D.

message 38: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments c'mon jim, pull up a chaise and grab a magazine. geesh, what did you think it was going to be, bagels and lox?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I was picturing more of a Cubs winning the World Series atmosphere with beer and brats.

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Keep dreamin', Jim.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Well in reality the season hasn't started yet, so we still have a chance.

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I always figure it's better to have lowered expectations of heaven. That way I won't be disappointed when it turns out to be something really mediocre. Example: Cubs winning the Series. (Sorry Jim. It's probably just me.)

I mean that whole 72 virgins thing is so far over the top. I don't really get the attraction for that anyway. Experience counts in my world.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry said - I mean that whole 72 virgins thing is so far over the top. I don't really get the attraction for that anyway. Experience counts in my world.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Larry.
As for the Cubs it is a dream I need to keep alive.

message 44: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i am a huge cubs fan (not an obese guy who is a cubs fan rather an enthusiastic follower of the cubs) and wrigley is baseball heaven. if it is like that, i am all for it. (and i will leave the crisco home)

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Brats are good. Beer is good. Brats cooked in beer are good.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Just don't drink the brat soaked beer though.

message 47: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Maybe you Cubs fan should just start with, you know, dreamin' you'll win a playoff game.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Well that is an accurate statement, but we used to dream of making it to the playoffs.

message 49: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i prob got a better chance of being covered in crisco in heaven with a bacon sandwich

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Or finding the winning Powerball ticket floating in a gutter.

« previous 1 3 4