fiction files redux discussion

I couldn't put it down...

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
What book(s) have you read that you literally couldn't put down?

It doesn't have to be the best book you've read just the one that kept you reading. I think it would be nice to have a list of the most gripping reads by fellow FFs especially if/when you feel bogged down with your reading.

Ready. Set. Go!

message 2: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
. . . james conway's financial thriller "the last deal" was unputdownable . . .could that be because mr. conway is none other than our own JPO? ssssh! it's a secret!

. . . jim lynch's "truth like the son" gripped me good. . . political intrigue in world's fair seattle . . .

message 3: by Gloria (new)

Gloria (thatholmgirl) | 79 comments Recently:

Stephen King's: 11/22/63

David James Duncan's: The Brothers K

message 4: by Christopher, Swanny (new)

Christopher Swann (christopherswann) | 189 comments Mod
Donna Tartt's "The Secret History." Martin Cruz Smith's "Polar Star." Most of George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" novels. Most of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series (and Gloria, "11/22/63" was pretty much the same way for me, too). Dickens' "Bleak House" was pretty engrossing as well, as I recall.

message 5: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Elizabeth (RedBrick) | 221 comments Mod
Dan, list yours.

message 6: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
The last one I read that I couldn't put down was Room by Emma Donahue.

message 7: by Dan, deadpan man (last edited Jun 05, 2012 02:27PM) (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
I guess I'd say that most recently I am Not Sidney Poitier, Lonesome Dove, and the soon to be released The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving all fit that bill.

Give yourself a 30mins to an hour with any of these books and you'll be hooked.

message 8: by Les (new)

Les  (lthmpls) | 116 comments I'm seconding The Brothers K and will add The Master Butcher's Singing Club and The Snow Child. TBK is 650+ pages and most of that was read in 3 nights.

message 10: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
There are a lot of books you guys posted that I've been meaning to read for some time. The Brothers K looks particularly interesting since it's baseball season.

@Ben- I have your copy of Warlock. I'll try and read it before the Dork and bring with me.

message 11: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
I agree with Dan on Lonesome Dove which was very frustrating because it was over 1000 pages long so impossible to read in one sitting no matter how much I wanted to!

I can't wait to read The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving!!!!

message 12: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Ben wrote: "Warlock
Johnny Future
The Fan Man
The Code of the Woosters
The Driver's Seat
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
The Cellar
The Tenant
The Flight from the Enchanter
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
The Catcher in t..."

I wish I still owned the copy of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn that I had as a kid.

I am an idiot. Someone asked me at a party if I had read the Brothers K. I said, "Of course. Dostoevsky is a grand champ."

Definitely going to read Warlock before WA.

message 13: by Les (new)

Les  (lthmpls) | 116 comments In your defense, Elizabeth, you cannot be an idiot because you have probably read The Idiot. Also it is pretty hard to gather from a contextless statement which "The Brothers K" one is speaking about. And "Dostoevsky Is a grand champ," so nothing but truth in your comments.

message 14: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Les wrote: "In your defense, Elizabeth, you cannot be an idiot because you have probably read The Idiot. Also it is pretty hard to gather from a contextless statement which "The Brothers K" one is speaking abo..."

Ha! That's true, Les. Thanks. Next time I'll just say I was slightly under-informed. I should just be proud that I didn't elaborate into the blank stare.