Start by marking “The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)

The Code of the Woosters

(Jeeves #7)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  18,979 ratings  ·  1,301 reviews
Take Gussie Fink-Nottle, Madeline Bassett, old Pop Bassett, the unscrupulous Stiffy Byng, the Rev., an 18th-century cow-creamer, a small brown leather covered notebook and mix with a dose of the aged aunt Dahlia and one has a dangerous brew which spells toil and trouble for Bertie and Jeeves.
Hardcover, Everyman Wodehouse, 286 pages
Published April 28th 2000 by Everyman's Library (first published 1938)

Bill  Kerwin
Oct 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing

A classic piece of Wodehouse silliness, involving Bertie Wooster, his formidable Aunt Dahlia and (of course) Jeeves in a scheme to steal an 18th century cow-creamer during a weekend party at an English country house.

Written in 1939, it also features a would-be fascist dictator of England named Spode, head of an organization called "The Black Shorts" (by the time he started his movement, the shirts had already been taken).

Laugh-out-loud funny. Highly recommended.
Dan Schwent
No one weaves a plot like Wodehouse. Also, if you have a cow creamer, guard it with your life.

The 2012 re-read:
Aunt Dahlia dispatches Bertie to Totleigh Towers to purlorn a silver cow creamer coveted by his uncle Tom from Sir Watkyn Basset. Unfortunately, Bertie has his work cut out for him in the form of Stiffy Byng and Madeline Basset. Can Bertie escape with the cow creamer without winding up married to either woman?

This is my second reading of Code of the Woosters and I can definitely say the
Evgeny
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
A buddy read with a secret group which includes Dan 2.0 and Erin.

For those who somehow manage to avoid knowing anything about this classic British humor series the main heroes are Bertie Wooster and his servant Jeeves. Bertie's job is to get into all kind of absurd and improbable (from the normal logic point of view) situations arising from his noble attempts to help his countless aunts and friends and Jeeves' job is to get him out of yet another trouble using some truly ingenious tricks.

This t
Michael
Oh my god this is so, so, so funny. I was discussing Wodehouse with someone yesterday and, as he put it, "There are passages that you want to chase people around the house with, saying, 'Wait! Wait! Just listen to this bit!'"

Haven't laughed so hard in a good long while. God, but I love Wodehouse.
Henry Avila
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gussie (Augustus) Fink-Nottle, is getting married, the shy, newt lover, (men need silly hobbies, to keep sane), to lovely Madeline Bassett, an unlikely pair, daughter of Sir Watkyn Bassett. A stern former magistrate, that the unfortunate Bertie, met officially, once, not a happy memory. Madeline, was Wooster's ex- fiancee (he didn't want to be one), the marriage averse Bertie, had given a bachelor party, for his friend, at the Drones club. It was a drunken, deplorable affair, which might have be ...more
Jason Koivu
Dec 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Classic Wodehouse. It doesn't get any better than this...actually it doesn't get much different than this either.

Perhaps that's not entirely fair. For me at least, The Code of the Woosters contains some of my favorite scenes and some of Wodehouse's most memorable characters. Herein his hero Bertie Wooster is at his daffiest, unable to accomplish the simplest of tasks, berating a cow creamer, without getting himself in thick soup. Soon after he's got a Bassett and that malodorous Spode badgering
Ailsa
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We must say to ourselves: "What would Napoleon have done?" He was the boy in a crisis. He knew his onions."

Long have I resisted the fatal charm of P.G. Wodehouse. My previous forays into his oeuvre have been lacklustre. That was until, of course, The Code of the Woosters and I crossed paths.

"He paused and swallowed convulsively, like a Pekingese taking a pill."

So scrumptious. I should of known that I would of fallen into the trap sooner or later, given my proclivity for novels of a certain kin
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“It’s an extraordinary thing—every time I see you, you appear to be recovering from some debauch. Don’t you ever stop drinking? How about when you are asleep?”

As usual, I'm behind on reading goals - being the last to finish this buddy read with Evgeny and Dan 2.0

My first foray into Wodehouse’s writing, and I’ve fallen for him. The comical and cleverly coined style made this one a fun read, even if the plot only left behind a three-star impression.

I finally see where the "Jeeves" came from - an
Sriram
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm always shocked to find that hardly anyone in these United States has ever heard of or read the works of Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse.... most indians who read english stumble upon his works sooner or later-more so, I dare say, than the english themselves.

I've always maintained that if a Wodehouse book cannot lift your spirits, you must be pretty close to suicide.

Amazing plots, memorable characters and superb prose. Long winding complex sentences that never fail to incite peals of laughter,
Alison
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: looking for light, clever fun
Recommended to Alison by: Morfeus
Shelves: rgbookclub
"You might put it that Hell's foundations are quivering. That is not overstating it, Jeeves?"
"No, sir."

P.G. Wodehouse was an English writer whose career spanned over seventy years and whose work included almost 100 novels, numerous short stories, 15 plays and 250 lyrics for some thirty musical comedies. Despite his impressive resume and reputation as a "master of English prose", I, unfortunately, wouldn't have known he existed if it hadn't been for Rory Gilmore. I guess that makes me more of a B
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Many consider this book to be the funniest of the Jeeves/ Wooster team, and I agree (though IMO, I would give that crown to Right Ho, Jeeves) that it is indeed extremely hilarious. Bertie, saved from the scaffold (i. e. marriage to Madeline Basset who thinks that the stars are God's daisy chain and every time a fairy sheds a tear, a star is born) at the last moment by Jeeves, finds himself ensconced in the country estate of the girl's father along with Gussie Fink-Nottle, her fiancée and Roderic ...more
Ismail
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
নিজে লেখক হওয়ায় সাধারণত অনয কোনও সমসাময়িক লেখক/অনুবাদকের বইয়ের রিভিউ লিখি না আমি। কিনতু মাঝে মাঝে কিছু বই পড়ে এতই আনদোলিত হই যে, নিজেকে নিয়নতরণ করা মুশকিল হয়ে পড়ে। আজ তেমনই এক দিন। তাই পাঠকদের জনয পেশ করছি সেবা থেকে সদয-পরকাশিত জীভস অভ অল টরেডস বইয়ের পাঠ-পরতিকরিয়া।

~কাহিনি~
বইয়ের কাহিনি বলবার আগে মূল দুই চরিতর সমপরকে বলে নিতে চাই। যাঁরা জানেন তো জানেন; যাঁরা জানেন না, তাঁদের অবগতির জনয জানাই - বিশববিখযাত ইংরেজ লেখক পি জি ওডহাউসের সৃষটি করা দুটি অমর চরিতর বারটরাম উসটার ও জীভস। পরথমজন ধনীর দুলাল, কু
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
Meh. For whatever it's worth, I pinky swear I'll review this one.
Julie Davis
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Wodehouse humor with an insane convergence of many plots all converging with Bertie Wooster at their center. Only his man Jeeves has the brain power to extract him unscathed from the perils that threaten over the silver cow creamer, constable's helmet, a brown notebook, and possible engagement to two young ladies. At its best when being read into one's shell-like.

One thing I did notice after all these years is that I now know many more of the half-uttered quotations and references Bertie
Algernon
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2012
Wodehouse loves to pepper his texts with all kinds of wacky similes, so I would like to start my review with one too: reading one of his novels is like drinking a glass of chilled champagne, on a sunny morning, reclining in a chaisez longue on an impeccably trimmmed English lawn. And Code of the Woosters is a Grand Cru - one of the best years.

My previous Wodehouse novels were written in third person, this time Bertie Wooster is the narrator and I noticed an increase in goofiness and general bon
Tom Mathews
I read an unusual question the other day. It asked, "In a sensationalist age, when everything quickly becomes a matter of passionate intensity, is there a place for the airy trifle?"
There are two correct answers to this question. The first is 'Yes, definitely.' The second, and best way to answer this is to just hand the person asking a copy of any Jeeves & Wooster book or, for that matter, anything written by the brilliantly hilarious P.G. Wodehouse. In this insane world, who doesn't need a
Trevor
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
I really enjoyed this one. But my favourite joke in the whole thing was when Wooster refers to someone as a ‘sensitive plant’ and is told, “You know your Shelley!” To which he replies, “Am I?” That just about sums up everything I love about Wodehouse. The poetic reference Wooster only uses because he steals it from Jeeves and then his utter bewilderment at what he takes to be a bizarre adjective being used to refer to him. Utter joy.

And the women in this one are even more selfish and manipulativ
Maruf Hossain
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
আগের দুটো জীভস পড়ার পর এটা নিয়েও তুমুল আগরহ নিয়ে বসেছিলাম। সতযি বলতে কি, পরথম কিছু অধযায় পড়ার পর একটু হতাশ হচছিলাম। পরথম থেকেই জীভসের কারিশমা দেখতে চেয়েছিলাম - সেটা না দেখায়ই হয়ত একটু আশাভঙগ।

তবে আর কিছুকষণ পরই আমার হতাশা হাওয়ায় মিলিয়ে দিয়ে নিজের পুরো ফরম নিয়ে হাজির ওডহাউস। মহাপণডিত, মানব দরদী বারটরাম উসটারের কাজকরম-কথাবারতা যুগিয়েছে নিরজলা আননদ। সাথে ছিল জীভস-এর চিকন মাথার মারপযাঁচ। এগুলোর সাথে কযাটালিসট হিসেবে পড়ার আননদ বাড়িয়েছে গাসি, মেডেলিন, সটিফি, পিংকার - এসব চরিতরসমূহের কাজ-কারবার।

ডিউক জনে
Annie Hawthorne
Sweet gingersnaps, this book is the definition of hilarious. I laughed until I cried.

In a nutshell: READ. IT. Cancel the appointments, pretend you don't have a job, put your magnum opus on hold, skip the lessons about learning how to make a Joyful Noise, call off the wedding, forget about sleeping, do whatever it takes to make time in your schedule to read this gem. You will never regret it.

Toodle-oo, chums. I toddle off to break the last surviving mantelpiece ornament (read the book, you'll un
F.R.
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Addendum, January the 3rd 2014

Well last night I went to see the West End show: ‘Jeeves & Wooster in Perfect Nonsense’, which is an adaptation of ‘The Code of the Woosters’. My lovely fiancée bought us tickets for Christmas, which truly thrilled me whilst also making me a little anxious. Could any adaptation of what is one of my favourite books live up to my lofty expectations? If it didn’t reach the heights, could I hide my disappointment from my love and thus not seem ungrateful for this w
Maru Kun
The first time I got hit on the head by a bread roll was at the age of twenty one. As a grammar school boy I was an obvious target. The assailant was a Hooray Henry (the generic term for a member of the British minor aristocracy) and the venue a restaurant in the City of London. I felt quite privileged. Many people never have the chance to see the English upper classes recreate a food fight straight out of PG Wodehouse. From an anthropological perspective it was quite wonderful, although crumbs ...more
Emily
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently experiencing a confluence of multiple factors that tend to cause me to read less (moving, freelance work, being mired in the middle of a difficult non-English book) but I can always fit in a little Wodehouse. This is, of course, delightful. It's odd that I've read some Jeeves and Wooster stories many, many times (an omnibus was one of the few books I brought with me for a year in Germany) but others I've read only once or not at all. I'm going to have to make an effort to look up t ...more
Luís C.
I’ve been missing out. For years, P. G. Wodehouse and his hilarious works of fiction have been out of my mind.. and I knew nothing about them. But thanks to Goodreads and his colaborators, I’m really pleased to have such books..
Leah
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, humour, classics
The Totleigh Towers Horror...

Sir Watkyn Bassett's country seat at Totleigh Towers is probably the last place in the world Bertie Wooster would choose to visit. In his role as magistrate, Sir Watkyn once fined Bertie five pounds for the crime of stealing a policeman's helmet. Unfortunately Sir Watkyn has forgotten the details of the crime, and thinks Bertie is a habitual criminal whom he sent to jail. But when Bertie receives an anguished plea from his old pal Gussie Finknottle, he is horrified t
Nazrul Islam
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, classic
ইংরেজি সাহিতযে চাতুরযপূরণ ও হাসয রসওয়ালা লেখকের কথা বললে সবার আগে হয়তো আসবে পি. জি. ওডহাউসের নাম । সিলি জোকস নয় বরং কথার মাঝে কথা আর সূকষণভাবে রসিয়ে রসিয়ে কথা বলার মাঝেই পাঠককে আননদ দেওয়া ছিল তার লেখার অনযতম বৈশিষট । যাকে বলে পাঞচ ডায়লগ । সেবা থেকে এর আগে তার দুইটি বইয়ের অনুবাদ বের হয়েছিল এবং বলতে দবিধা নেই সেবার সেরা দুইটি অনুবাদের মধযে অনযতম ছিল সেই অনুবাদ দুইটি । তবে পি. জি. ওডহাউসের বইয়ের অনুবাদ করা সহজ কাজ নয় । যেহেতু তার লেখা হিউমার পূরণ এবং কোন সিলি জোকস নেই তাই তার লেখার মান বজায় রেখে এব ...more
Edward Higgins
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Being a miserable old curmudgeon, it generally takes a lot make me laugh out loud (and I’ve seen every episode of 'Last of the Summer Wine' too), however, despite this, I always make a point of never taking any PG Wodehouse with me if I happen to travelling on public transport.

Drawing attention to oneself on a bus or train is generally a hateful thing, and I am a man particularly averse to the angry shuffle of newspapers. So, since reading Wodehouse produces from me all manner of involuntary gro
Carol Bakker
Laughter is guaranteed if you don't read too much of Wodehouse at one sitting. This is classic Jeeves and Bertie. Silly, ridiculous, hilarious, comic relief.

I collected Wodehouse verbs: shimmered out, toddling up, whizzed by, pausing to pip-pip, bleated, biffed out, tucked in, beetled off, bowling along, potter about, swanking about, spouting vicarages, caught bonneting, heaved a silent sigh, snootered to bursting point.

Nouns and noun phrases: nosegay of folders, tidal wave of telegrams, horns
Stephen
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a nice "feel good" story that will both entertain and genuinely brighten your mood. It's the kind of story you read when you need to recharge your happy battery and need a big fat smile. Bernie Wooster is especially attrative if you are a fan of British comedy, which I have a real weakness for. The dry humor, the purposely clever phrasing and the awkward social settings were right in my wheelhouse. It reminded me of a gentler, less acerbic (and, admittedly, less funny) version of the 70' ...more
Paul Secor
We seem to be inundated with comics these days. In fact, you could probably toss a pebble over your shoulder randomly and hit one. (Actually, you might be doing all of us a favor if you made it a very large rock instead of a pebble.) No matter how many folks may call themselves comics, it's my opinion that, at any time, there are only a small number of people who can actually make the rest of us laugh. P.G. Wodehouse was (is) one of those people.
The Code of the Woosters, while it is a very funny
Don
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cow-creamer aficianados and helmet pinchers
It's quite possible that a world without Wodehouse would be a world without Three's Company, a world without Frasier, a world, in short, without convoluted situations from which much comedy is derived. That is to say, the old s.c. The mind reels.

There's something to be said for a prolific author that can at once delight so many and fail to register with even more. Some of my best friends are non-Wodehouse readers, which is to say that none of my friends appreciate the Wodehousian wit. For better
Around the Year i...: The Code of the Woosters, by P.G. Wodehouse 1 8 Apr 14, 2018 12:13PM
#NationalToastDay 1 6 Feb 23, 2016 10:59AM
Interesting juxtaposition 2 21 Oct 06, 2015 03:07PM
Reading Wodehouse: July 2014 MR: The Code of the Woosters - Discussion 12 20 Jul 15, 2014 03:00PM
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • The Archidamian War
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Lisa and David
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Extravagance
  • A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister
  • Fat Land
  • Quattrocento
  • Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia de Burgos
  • Just a Couple of Days
  • The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia, #5)
  • The Meaning of Consuelo
  • The Art of Fiction
  • A Quiet Storm
  • Black Mischief
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
  • The Holy Barbarians
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more

Jeeves (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)
  • The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
  • Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3)
  • Very Good, Jeeves! (Jeeves, #4)
  • Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6)
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • Ring for Jeeves (Jeeves, #10)
  • Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Jeeves, #11)
“There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
"The mood will pass, sir.”
614 likes
“I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” 444 likes