Good Reads Vegetarians discussion

Holidays

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Roberta (robbi_t) | 12 comments So, what is everyone planning on making for the holidays? We have both vegetarians and non-veggies in our family, so it is always a bit of a problem finding things that will accomodate everyone.

message 2: by Katrinka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

Katrinka My mom and I (or rather, my mom) are attempting to change the family sweet rice recipe to a vegan-friendly version, while also trying to cut refined sugar. Rice milk might help that out-- and I might try using agave nectar, but at this point it's radically experimental.

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Jennifer Pickens | 1 comments This may be "California-centric" but we usually have Christmas Tacos--just some Smart Ground taco "meat" with some Bearitos Taco Seasoning, a whole bunch of refried beans, some flour tortilla's and taco shells, and if we're serving a large bunch, rice for a side dish. I have a friend that makes vegan enchiladas too. The Smart Ground tastes so much like taco meat, that after you add the seasoning, the non-veggies don't even notice the difference. Throw in some organic cheese for the non-vegans, and it should satisfy everyone.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments all i have to say is don't bother with the tofurkey. it's rubbery and nasty. they do make quite nice stuffing, though. if you have to have a turkey substitute for thanksgiving try a Quorn roast.

message 5: by Roberta (new)

Roberta (robbi_t) | 12 comments The "drumsticks" on the tofurkey are pretty hilarious as well.

message 6: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary Years ago I adapted traditional cornbread dressing to suit the vegetarians, including me, at the table. Instead of chicken or turkey broth and drippings, I use apple cider and vegetable broth to moisten the mixture of crumbled cornbread, sauteed onion and celery with sage and pepper, maybe apple cubes and walnuts or pecans. I've also made vegan cornbread using soy milk and substituting applesauce for eggs. The dressing along with a little sauteed tofu or veggie patties and sweet potatoes, green vegetables, and cranberry sauce makes a holiday feast.