Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Discussion for the Haven Series

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments Books in the series:
Once Bitten (Haven #1) by Kalayna Price Twice Dead (Haven #2) by Kalayna Price Third Blood (Haven, #3) by Kalayna Price

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I tried this series, got through book one and it was just ok, but never finished book two.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I have both of these as Freebies from Amazon....the first one going back to 2009....have just not got around to reading them

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments They are quick reads, so worth checking out.

message 5: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments I have never read either. I hope to try one before the end of the month.

Darcy what is it about exactly?

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments They are vamp/shifter books. I liked the premise, but didn't think the characters were fleshed out very well. I wanted to know more about the heroine background, it is unique, but we didn't seem to get the whole story in book one. Then in book 2 there was an event that I just didn't buy into, so I gave it up.

message 7: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments Ah ok
Thanks Darcy!

message 8: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments No problem.

message 9: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4483 comments Interesting. I've had this book on wishlist for 12 months cause I liked the premise. Looks like I'll be waiting till its free or very cheap.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I hate to talk someone out of reading a book Sandra, but your way may be a good one. Maybe see if your library has it.

message 11: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments Sandra wrote: "Interesting. I've had this book on wishlist for 12 months cause I liked the premise. Looks like I'll be waiting till its free or very cheap."

I got this one for free on B&N I think I wonder if I can loan it to you?

message 12: by Kira (new)

Kira (KiraRiyu) | 7 comments I really enjoyed these books. The writing isn't as polished as in her other series (I think I read that Once Bitten was the first book she ever wrote) but I really liked the characters. I wanted to smack Kita around sometimes, but one thing I have to say for Kalayna, she knows how to show a character grow on the page.

message 13: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4483 comments Darcy wrote: "I hate to talk someone out of reading a book Sandra, but your way may be a good one. Maybe see if your library has it."

Not a chance my library will even consider it. That's why I buy most of my books.

Thanks for thinking of me Dawn but don't worry about it, not like I'm gonna run out of books. LOL. B&N don't sell to Aus and they use epub which I don't read.

message 14: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Sandra wrote: "Not a chance my library will even consider it. That's why I buy most of my books."

It is too bad that they won't.

message 15: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments Sandra wrote: "Darcy wrote: "I hate to talk someone out of reading a book Sandra, but your way may be a good one. Maybe see if your library has it."

Not a chance my library will even consider it. That's why I b..."

No problem, pm me if you change your mind :-)

message 16: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4483 comments Thanks :)))

message 17: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments I am reading Once Bittenand I tried this book before and I think I quit around chapter 5. Honestly I am still not that into it but I will try to make it to page 100 before it is an official I quit.

The premise is just so odd, a shifter calico cat who for some unknown reason has left her clan, however for some unknown reason hunters are on her trail including one hunter from her clan who is a family friend. Then after hiding out in a club with some random guy she meets trouble right after leaving is turned into a vampire...so now she is a shifter and a vampire or maybe just a vampire...then she is accused for I am not even sure but demons want her soul.

There is just way to much going on and instead of drawing me I just keep thinking this is silly.

message 18: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 114 comments I liked this series. It was such an unusual PNR/UF aspect. Also I do like it when the character's are flawed. The whole drop dead beauty and the muscled out hero gets kind of played out sometimes.

message 19: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Jenne wrote: "Also I do like it when the character's are flawed. The whole drop dead beauty and the muscled out hero gets kind of played out sometimes."

That is so true!!

message 20: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments I finished it and this one is not for me. I think the challenge that I could not over come was the lack of world building.

This is not to say that I enjoy the world building info dump at the beginning of a book. Rather I like understanding how the world is organized: weird stuff like how do you determine who is in charge, what is the natural order of things, are the shifters/vamps rare or common...anyway I like how authors use these details, along with plot and character development to make me feel like I am part of the world.

This book just did not do that for me and I could not let it go.

Oh well at least I tried!

message 21: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Dawn wrote: "Oh well at least I tried!"

That is all you can do sometimes.

message 22: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments Darcy wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Oh well at least I tried!"

That is all you can do sometimes."

Very true but I have to say I would be curious about the new book, Third blood, in this series because her writing style is so much better.

message 23: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4483 comments Having read Grave Witch, I'm surmising that she's improved her writing, which is only natural. More practice and she's a little older.

message 24: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I think that is exactly what has happened here, at least with the first book. The second one came out after she had started the Grave Witch series.

message 25: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments That is good to know Darcy I may try and check out the second one and see if the story line has improved.