Comfort Reads discussion

The Cruise - All That Glitters
This topic is about The Cruise - All That Glitters
Author's Corner > Removed with my apologies

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) You know, I've noticed this more and more. This folder isn't really for authors to come and just promote their books. Ideally, as (I think) we say in the guidelines, it's for our active and engaged members who also happen to be authors, giving them a chance to let us know about their publishes works. Coming into this group and having only posts about one's books isn't going to win over many, if any, people. Just FYI.

message 2: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Frances Thank you, Lisa, for your thoughts and comments. I'm new to the group and am feeling my way through all the subjects and threads for both readers and authors. I think this is a great site, with lots of potential for all of us and I look forward to being an active participant in many of the discussion topics.
Best Regards,
Jaye Frances

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Jaye. We look forward to having you join us when you'd like to chime in.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jaye,

I see you're already an author member, but in order to get the most out of Goodreads, it's helpful to read all the links at

http://www.goodreads.com/author/program

including

http://www.goodreads.com/author/guide...

At the bottom of that link is a short paragraph about being a group member.

Thanks.

message 5: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Frances Lisa wrote: "Jaye,

I see you're already an author member, but in order to get the most out of Goodreads, it's helpful to read all the links at

http://www.goodreads.com/author/program

including

http://www.g..."

Hi, Lisa,
Thanks for the guidance. I've had my author profile page up for almost a year, and have offered one of my books in a Goodreads giveaway, as well as posting excerpts and communicating with some wonderful folks through groups on the Goodreads site. It's a great forum, and I appreciate the good advice offered from all.
Regards,
Jaye Frances

message 6: by Tracey (new) - added it

Tracey (stewartry) Speaking for myself only, having now seen four separate posts (each a new thread) regarding this giveaway - your only four posts prior to the above - means that I will never consider even looking at the book. Unfortunately, this is the leading edge of the kind of self-published-author promotion which gives self-publishing such a terrible reputation.

IMO, of course.

message 7: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Frances Hello, Tracey,
Thank you very much for your comment and thoughts. I'm a new member to the group, and while still reading and enjoying many of the threads, my contributions to date have been an introduction and the threads regarding the book giveaway. My goal in joining the group is to learn from readers and authors, and to engage in the lively conversations (very intriguing group of folks here, by the way!) I hope you'll forgive the posts about the book giveaway - they are not duplicates, nor intended to blast the site. There are actually multiple contest giveaways taking place, allowing for more opportunities to obtain a free copy. Your point is well taken, and I will do my part to erase the often unwarranted blemishes appearing on the self-publishing front.
Sincerely,
Jaye Frances

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

At one point I counted 6 separate threads about your book giveaway, including on for June 8 & 9, and then another for just June 9. It really does put people off. You have to give people the chance to come to you because they know you, and are interested in what you are writing.

message 9: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Frances Hello, Jeannette,
Thank you for the comment. I believe I've "cleaned the slate" so to speak, in the group threads with the guidance of Lee and Lisa, and now have a better understanding of the intent and focus of the group. I hope to be a courteous and respectful contributor to the discussions, and the advice is appreciated.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope things work out well for you. I know a few GR authors, and am good friends with one in particular. I got to know her on the discussion threads, chatting about books. Have you joined any groups that discuss the books you like to read? The sign of a successful member on GR, imo, is having a tbr list that far outstrips your read list. Enjoy!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jeannette wrote: "The sign of a successful member on GR, imo, is having a tbr list that far outstrips your read list. Enjoy! "

Ha! I'm a veritable champ!

message 12: by Tracey (last edited Jun 11, 2012 06:54AM) (new) - added it

Tracey (stewartry) Jaye, I can't recommend the blog post I linked to in one of the other threads enough - "What it means to be a writer in the internet age". The post itself is excellent, and in the comments are some great insights from writers who are dealing with the same issues you are as an independent writer.

As Jeannette said, being constantly bombarded is off-putting. It's sort of like sitting down with friends in a nice outdoor cafe and suddenly being surrounded by huge billboards. Neon. Flashing. As one of the commenters on that blog post says, it's vital to let people on a social network get to know you before even thinking about trying to sell them on anything. If you make friends first, you're far more likely to find interest.

I have to say it's rather lucky your book isn't fantasy, and that you did not therefore try to promote it in this manner on any of the major fantasy boards on GR; they are extremely protective of their territory and would have been much more aggressive (strong-men-brought-to-tears aggressive) in dealing with it.

Considering that after one of the moderators spoke to you about spamming the group you started two more threads in very short order, I don't have high hopes that you truly do understand and are willing to be an actual participant in the group (the word "impervious" keeps coming to mind). I'd love to be proven wrong.

Jeannette wrote: "The sign of a successful member on GR, imo, is having a tbr list that far outstrips your read list."

Oh, phew. I thought it just meant I had too many books. I like looking at it as success better!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I try to put a positive spin on my ever-lengthening tbr list. The most successful of us have lists of books that were recommended by friends and/or reviews, and not just shiny covers. :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "The sign of a successful member on GR, imo, is having a tbr list that far outstrips your read list. Enjoy! "

Ha! I'm a veritable champ!"

You are, indeed! :D

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Tracey, Thank you for your last post. Very well put and helpful.

message 16: by Tracey (new) - added it

Tracey (stewartry) Lisa wrote: "Tracey, Thank you for your last post. Very well put and helpful."

Thanks, Lisa. The whole situation is something that - obviously - concerns me (I have a book 3/4 done myself, and I've helped a friend with promotion of his book: even writers who go the old-fashioned route get little promotional support from their publisher unless they're big enough to not really need it). It horrifies me that the common "wisdom" tells writers, independent and not, that they MUST go and promote their book on social networking sites - without ever giving any kind of guidance on how to go about it. Hopefully it's all part of the fact that it's still a pretty new world; the edges have to get worn down a bit.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) The publishing industry has certainly gone downhill. Authors are now rarely nurtured or promoted and so much good writing doesn't get published and so many bad books somehow do get published.

message 18: by Tracey (new) - added it

Tracey (stewartry) The only thing that keeps me hopeful is to look at as in flux. With the still-new digital media and huge surge in self-pub, it's a whole new universe, and traditional publishing is scrambling; hopefully in a few years it'll settle down.

message 19: by Alysa (new)

Alysa "The sign of a successful member on GR, imo, is having a tbr list that far outstrips your read list."

Whew! I was just starting to get worried about mine! But some I put on to check out to before I give them to my kids to read. Yeah, yeah, sure!