You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Off Topic Chat > What did you learn today?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments I thought it might be fun to have a place where we can share something we learned during the day. A friend of mine will occasionally ask me, "What did you learn today?" Sometimes, I have to think hard about it.

With the amount of read we YLTO'ers do, we should be gleaning new things constantly. So, here's a spot to share what you've learned. It doesn't have to be something you learned from reading. It could be something you picked up from tv, radio, co-workers, school, etc.

I started reading The Aloha Quilt last night and learned that the traditional Hawaiian quilters believe that each quilt you make should be unique. You should never make the same quilt twice. If you do make the same pattern, change it in some way by putting different borders on it, different fabrics, etc.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Fantastic thread. My kids and I enjoyed doing this at the dinner table.

Interesting about each quilt being unique.

We learned that sometimes technology behaves in really bizarre, almost miraculous ways. We had an e-Reader that stopped working last fall. We tried the reset button, draining the battery, charging it again, messing around howsoever we could, off & on over the course of weeks. Then we put it on a shelf, as my teen son wants to dismantle it to see the inner workings. Whimsically he plugged it in today, hit the power button, and it works. (Needless to say, he doesn't get to see the innards after all.)

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments Judy wrote: "I learned something a little more sobering while reading The Rape of Nanking. According to the author, Iris Chang, few Japanese were tried for their despicable war crimes compared to the German sol..."

Interesting! When you watch movies about prisoners of war, the Japanese had some pretty horrific torture methods. One would hope that they would be held accountable for their crimes. Not all is fair in love or war.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments I learned today that when you are overwhelmed, a friend can help.

A friend offered to help me set up my quilting studio. She came over today and when we started opening boxes, she took one look at me and said, "You're feeling overwhelmed, aren't you?"

I told her that I was, and that every time I walked into the room and opened a box, I'd close it and leave the room.

We managed to get several boxes cleared, enough to set up my sewing table. I can sew in there now! Yeah!

message 5: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Fantastic thread. My kids and I enjoyed doing this at the dinner table.

Interesting about each quilt being unique.

We learned that sometimes technology behaves in really bizarre, almost miraculo..."

I can so relate to the 'miracle' of technology. I had a portable cd player that quit working, so I bought another one. After a little while it stopped working too. I tried batteries, and a power cord. The next time I went to my dad's I took them for him to look at. They both worked for him. I said yay, and brought them home. Of course, they didn't work for me. Then, to make me feel even more ridiculous, when Dad came to visit, the d@*# things worked for him again. I gave up and made him take them home with him :)

message 6: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Janice wrote: "I learned today that when you are overwhelmed, a friend can help.

A friend offered to help me set up my quilting studio. She came over today and when we started opening boxes, she took one look a..."

Oh, Janice, that's so wonderful to have a friend like that. I'm glad you're getting your quilting area set up. I bet now that you can sew in there you'll want to get more boxes unpacked :) But that could cause another problem - does this mean you'll have to go fabric shopping soon?

message 7: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Yesterday I learnt that when the Queen goes under Tower Bridge it is always fully raised for her.

I learnt this morning not to swear in front of small as he will copy.

I have also learnt this weekend that when two hares box it is always a Jack and a Jill (make and female) not two males or two females.

message 8: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments It was on a programme 'Springwatch' that films animals nesting, mating, rearing their young. It's on every year for 2 weeks. There is also 'Autimnwatch' later in the year. They are both quite interesting and get some lovely, often funny, footage.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Oh, Janice, that's so wonderful to have a friend like that. I'm glad you're getting your quilting area set up. I bet now that you can sew in there you'll want to get more boxes unpacked :) But that could cause another problem - does this mean you'll have to go fabric shopping soon?..."

I have a "stash" of fabric that will survive me.

I am going to thin it out. I'm going to give some of it to Victoria Quilts which is an organization that makes comfort quilts for people living with cancer.

And I've made a resolution that I will not buy any more stash fabric. Any purchases will be for an imminent project and not for "some" project "some" day - unless it's a fabric I just have to have. (I know myself.) LOL!

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments Judy wrote: "That brought tears to my eyes. ((((lots of hugs)))) Janice!"

Thanks Judy! I'm okay. I'm excited that I can get in there and do some sewing.

message 11: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I was looking something up, and came across this from an article on the death of Blaize Clement last year:

"She remembered the day that she first realized she would never be able to read every book in the world," said John Clement. "She cried for days."

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Aloha Quilt (other topics)