Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Heyer in General > Best Supporting Characters and Favourite Scenes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 194 (194 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Jun 02, 2012 11:10PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 423 comments Teresa said

" Aunt Aurelia is one of my favorite characters. It's a pity she doesn't have more scenes and dialogue!

Do we have a thread for favorite supporting characters? If not, maybe we should."

I just did a fairly diligent search and couldn't find such a thread so....
In addition to Aunt Aurelia, I would like to give vote to Lord Mablethorpe in Faro's Daughter, who moves from being a rather silly boy, to a touchingly responsible young man.

Also Mr Trevor in Frederica for service above and beyond the call of duty in terms of managing Endymion's mother , Lady Dauntry......... Alverstoke said he had never doubted his own courage until he heard of Mr Trevor's actions in this regard.

message 2: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 66 comments Lord Dolphinton form Cotillion.He is so funny.Almost every time I hear Not Invited I giggle.Plus I loved it when he was going to hide in the cupboard and many other things he said.

I too loved Mr.Trevor form Frederica.How he stopped the wedding and managed Lady Dauntry.I love his and Alverstoke's relationship.

message 3: by Animalia (last edited Jun 03, 2012 03:34PM) (new)

Animalia | 40 comments Felix from Frederica is one of the best characters, I love the scenes where he manipulates Alverstoke by giving him the penniless orphan look. Jessamy is great too.

I don't know if he counts or not since he's a dog, but Ulysses from Arabella is my favorite dog in any Heyer book. I love him fighting the poodle. :D

I also love Mr. Babbacombe from the Toll-gate. He tries pretend that he is a gentleman that wouldn't dare get his cravet dirty or go into danger but you know that he would go on any adventure if Jack asked him too, he would just complain the whole time. :)

message 4: by Peregrina651 (new)

Peregrina651 (peregrina651peregrinations) | 37 comments You mean I have to pick just one?? I think they are all great. I think Heyer does some of the best supporting characters to ever grace the world of prose fiction!! (Okay, that is a bit of hyperbole, but you get my drift). The Bucks, the Dandies, the Corinthians, the Beau Brummells, the whifty old maids, the self-centered dowagers, the all-knowing butlers, the simpering young misses and shrinking violets, the omniscient elder statesmen, the spurned Cyprians, the dastardly villians. I love them all!

message 5: by Yue (new)

Yue | 44 comments The 3 friends from Sherry and Hero in Friday´s Child: Gil, Ferdy and George. They were the main reason I really liked this book, they were hilarious. I would love to have them as my friends.

Also Nicky from The Reluctant Widow. He was really funny, especially that scene where he orders his dog to look after Elinor.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 215 comments A number of my favourites have already been mentioned, so I will nominate Sylvester's mother, the Dowager Duchess. Her scenes are lovely and she is one of Heyer's relatively few intelligent, sensible and caring mothers.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 423 comments And to follow on from Kim, Mrs Tallant, Arabella's mother. Not exactly a feminist with her clever maneuvering (sp? looks wrong) of the Rev Tallant, but a kind and clever lady who was definitely up to scratch

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) My nomination for best supporting character is easily Mrs. Bosanquet, the (unintentionally) funny aunt from Heyer's murder mystery Footsteps in the Dark. I loved her, and wished she had more page time in the book.

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments Nicky from Reluctant widow, Claude from Unkoown Ajax and Rupert Alastair from These old shades. I like them because they were hilarious.

message 10: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I loved Mrs. Bosanquet, too! She ain't afraid of no ghosts!

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 423 comments Now, obviously , I have to read Footsteps in the Dark...

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Barbara wrote: "Now, obviously , I have to read Footsteps in the Dark..."

haha! The burdens we readers must bear...

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 423 comments I no, I no ..............

message 14: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments I'm glad to see that someone started this thread!

As I said in the other thread, I love Aunt Aurelia in "The Unknown Ajax." I like the way that hostesses are so intimidated by her that they tear up their gardens, simply because she gives them only tepid praise. And of course they way she sweeps in so magnificently near the end of the book. I enjoy Vincent, too, and the competing valets, especially Polyphant.

I agree on Gil, Ferdy, and George for "Friday's Child." George's tempestuous romance with Isabella would have made a hilarious book on its own.

Felix and Jessamy from "Frederica." Jessamy's struggles with his conscience are particularly endearing.

In "Arabella" I have a partiality for the Reverend Tallant -- not for the scenes where he actually appears, but for his effect on his children (the way they wilt when he blames himself for something they've done) and his unseen but not unfelt influence on all Arabella's good deeds in London.

Pom and Pel in "The Convenient Marriage" are a marvelous duo. By himself, Pelham is rather annoying, but in the scenes where he is teamed up with Pom are hilarious.

The very proper Mr. Comyn in "Devil's Cub."

All the fierce old Dowagers.

message 15: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Yep, Kim, I definitely loved Sylvester's Mama, too. I just finished reading it (I think I'd only read it once before), and I might have to nominate Tom, too, just for his sheer competence. But, Sir Nugent: How can anyone talk so fluently and use such lovely language and be such a "ridiklous gudgeon"?!

message 16: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments Vivianne wrote: Then Sophy and Charles have an in-the-house shooting match.

One of my favorite scenes!

I'd suggest we have a favorite scenes thread, but all our posts would probably go on forever.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 423 comments If we did, mine would have to be the (unseen) chest-casting-upon scene of Mr Trevor and Endymion Dauntry's mother

message 18: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 66 comments Teresa wrote: "Vivianne wrote: Then Sophy and Charles have an in-the-house shooting match.

One of my favorite scenes!

I'd suggest we have a favorite scenes thread

I agree.

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 518 comments While we're talking about best supporting characters, I just have to mention Sir Conway Lanyon, whom we come to know quite well despite the fact that he never appears onstage, as it were!

message 20: by Teresa (last edited Jun 16, 2012 11:18PM) (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments Barbara wrote: "If we did, mine would have to be the (unseen) chest-casting-upon scene of Mr Trevor and Endymion Dauntry's mother"

Maybe we should have a thread "Best Scenes Unseen."

Margaret wrote: "While we're talking about best supporting characters, I just have to mention Sir Conway Lanyon, whom we come to know quite well despite the fact that he never appears onstage, as it were!"

Good point. And not only that, Conway may be the offstage character who has the most effect on the plot of the book in which he doesn't appear.

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 423 comments Yes doesn't he!

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 215 comments I agree. Conway is so much part of the plot you can forget he doesn't appear in the novel.

message 23: by Barbara (last edited Jun 17, 2012 11:19PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 423 comments I have taken the liberty of editing the title of this thread to include favourite scenes , as it seemed to me from our posts that the two ideas went quite well together. Hope this is OK with you all.

Have we mentioned the scene from Covenient Marriage, where Pom goes to retrieve Hero's lost brooch, explaining that it is his great aunt's? The one who is still alive that is. Not that she was wearing it, you understand .....

message 24: by Animalia (last edited Jun 18, 2012 09:25AM) (new)

Animalia | 40 comments I have so many favorite scenes but I have narrowed them down to a few.

I love the scene in the Talisman Ring where Sarah Thane pretends to faint and when she and Sir Tristram try to outdo each other.

The Foundling has a great scene at the end where the Duke of Sale almost loses it when Viscount Gaywood keeps calling him "My Lord Duke" and Tom runs in says he found a badger and then Gilly loses it. :)

I love the scene in Frederica where Alverstoke and Frederica are talking about Felix and how he might become a stowaway on a steam-packet to America and then Felix bursts into the room and says he wants Lord Alverstoke particularly. :D

And then of course there is the masterful scene at the end of the Unknown Ajax. Which was just pure genius. I love that Claud finally gets to shine and does a beautiful job of a wounded man.

message 25: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 36 comments Sir Hugh Thane from "Talisman Ring". He's very clueless, but also VERY funny! The scene where he & Ludovic are in the "secret cellar" shooting at wafers is great!
All of "Talisman Ring" is full of funny scenes. Ludovic dressed as Eustacie's maid to avoid the excise officer. Sarah taking a midnight walk to draw suspicion away from Ludovic & meeting Sir Tristram. Basil & "strap & jewel work". Absolute idiot Bow Street Runners. Sarah suggesting suitable spinsters (with VERY slight squints) for Sir Tristram, since he's already middle aged. It makes me wish I had someone to ride "Ventre a terre" to my death bed!!

Mr Liversedge from "The Foundling" Just about steals the whole book. A villain whose plans mostly go astray, he manages to take over as butler for Gilly without turning a hair.

The whole scene in "Unknown Ajax" when Richmond is shot by the exise officer & the whole family has a part to play to draw off the heat. Aunt Aurelia, Claude, Vincent & Polyphant - just BRILLIANT! Worth re reading that one scene.

Arabella rescuing Jem, the climbing boy. What's interesting about that scene is when Robert Beaumaris suddenly discovers Arabella's depth of character. He realizes what a treasure Arabella is. A big chunk of the ice that's around his heart breaks loose (is that too trite?).

Sophy & her monkey.
Sir Nugent & his boots.
When Mary shoots Vidal & he commends her for good shooting
Tiffany Wield & her tantrums.
Amanda from "Sprig Muslin" & her creative lies.
The Marquis of Alverstoke & his deadliest weapon - his quizzing glass. Baluchistan hounds.
The passionate "Mountain" from the "Masqueraders.

I could go on & on & on....

message 26: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments Cindy wrote: "When Mary shoots Vidal & he commends her for good shooting"

I was going to mention that one. I also love the scene, later in the book, when Mary has a conversation with a certain elderly gentleman. One of his Grace's best scenes.

Oh, and on the subject of scenes that happen offstage but are described by another character, when Avon walks in after the duel in the gaming hell.

On the subject of scenes in gaming hells, in "The Convenient Marriage," when Pelham challenges Crosby!

"The Marquis of Alverstoke & his deadliest weapon - his quizzing glass."

In "Cotillion" where Freddy makes good use of his quizzing glass to rescue Kitty. And of course later in the book when he flattens Jack. (Not to mention Hugh's reaction.)

"Arabella rescuing Jem, the climbing boy. What's interesting about that scene is when Robert Beaumaris suddenly discovers Arabella's depth of character. He realizes what a treasure Arabella is."

Yes, yes! I love Arabella's spirit in that scene, and the way that Mr. Beaumaris experiences his blinding revelation.

Animalia wrote: "And then of course there is the masterful scene at the end of the Unknown Ajax. Which was just pure genius."

I agree. Absolutely inspired.

message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 518 comments There are several books with those kind of "grand finale" scenes. The Unknown Ajax, The Grand Sophy, and Cotillion all qualify. Which ones am I forgetting?

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 36 comments Margaret wrote: "There are several books with those kind of "grand finale" scenes. The Unknown Ajax, The Grand Sophy, and Cotillion all qualify. Which ones am I forgetting?"

Arabella & the elopement
The Quiet Gentleman - after Drusilla falls down the stairs & Gervase comes home.
The Talisman Ring - the final scene with the Bow Street Runner & the talisman ring is discovered by the murderer.
The Masqueraders - when the whole plan comes together like clockwork for the "old gentleman".
I think Fredrica ends tamely, but there is the runaway balloon adventure that's toward the end of the book.

I know there's more - anyone?

message 29: by Donna (last edited Jun 21, 2012 11:01AM) (new)

Donna (earthreader) | 47 comments One of my favorite supporting characters is Gideon, Gilly's cousin, in The Foundling. I like how, contrary to appearances, he is an old softy inside. He is very devoted to his cousin, the Duke, and very protective of him. The two of them share a true friendship when other people in the same position might have been competitive.

message 30: by Animalia (new)

Animalia | 40 comments Donna wrote: "One of my favorite supporting characters is Gideon, Gilly's cousin, in The Foundling. I like how, contrary to appearances, he is an old softy inside. He is very devoted to his cousin, the Duke, a..."

I forgot to add him, thanks for mentioning him!

I always wished Heyer had made a book with him as the lead. I really love his character and I wish that he could have gotten a girl in the novel.

message 31: by Donna (last edited Jun 23, 2012 10:16AM) (new)

Donna (earthreader) | 47 comments Animalia wrote: "Donna wrote: "One of my favorite supporting characters is Gideon, Gilly's cousin, in The Foundling. I like how, contrary to appearances, he is an old softy inside. He is very devoted to his cousi..."

I agree. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to be the trend back then, developing supporting characters into lead ones in a continuing series of books, unlike today, when many romance writers have spun them off into trilogies and so forth. But I like how GH took the time to develop her supporting characters simply because they were interesting in their own right, and because they provided a window through which the reader could view the main characters.

message 32: by Kim (last edited Jun 23, 2012 02:15PM) (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 215 comments What Heyer did in The Foundling was similar to what she did in Cotillion; that is take a character who in her other romances would have been a hero and turned him into supporting character. (Although in Cotillion Heyer also took a supporting character - Ferdy from Friday's Child - and turned him the hero). Gideon didn't need to get a girl at the end of The Foundling because "Gideon" got the girl in so many other Heyer novels. This playing around with romance genre tropes is what I love about Heyer's writing.

message 33: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 23, 2012 05:17PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 66 comments Kim wrote: "What Heyer did in The Foundling was similar to what she did in Cotillion; that is take a character who in her other romances would have been a hero and turned him into supporting character. (Althou..."

Really Freddy form Cotillion is in Friday's Child?!
I will have to up that on my read and buy list of Heyer's.

message 34: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 215 comments Nicole wrote: "Really Freddy form Cotillion is in Friday's Child?!..."

No, I don't mean the same character, but the same character type. There is a supporting character in Friday's Child - Ferdy - who is rather like Freddy in both looks and temperament.

message 35: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 518 comments But do get your hands on Friday's Child regardless. It is delightful, and the secondary characters (Ferdy Fakenham included) are a great part of its charm.

message 36: by Ahuja (new)

Ahuja | 28 comments The Corinthian! Pen's outrageous tales and Sir Richard's reactions were hilarious. I love the scene where he walks in, trying hard not to laugh and tells Pen that the magistrate wants to know about the 'owl story' (I may not have gotten that exactly right)

Also love love love Pelham and Pom's drunken invasion into What's-his-face's house, talking of card parties and brooches

Naturally, Lord Dolphinton's cupboard scenes are high on my list as well

I agree on the Talisman Ring too, it had some hilarious scenes like the one where Sir Hugh throws a boot at a bow street runner and his general obsession with wine

message 37: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (chiklitmanfan) I LOVE all of Lord Sherington's buddies in Friday's Child. What a bunch of adorable mis-fits! And Miss Hero Wantage: Who could not help but fall in love with her?

message 38: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments I have loved reading this thread, for all the memories it evokes. I re-read GH all the time, and must have read each of her books tens of times, but I never tire of them. She always ensured that every character in the book, even "just" the maids and grooms, was a distinct personality. She often managed to convey that with a few lines of dialogue or an adjective which gave away their feelings. And reading through this thread reminds me how funny she often was, and how distinct her main characters are - and the supporting ones, too.

Anyone who thinks her books were written to a formula or are easy to imitate hasn't read enough of them (or any of them?).

If I have to pick favourite scenes: the post-shooting, bamboozle the Riding Officer one in The Unknown Ajax; several between Sarah and Tristram in The Talisman Ring; and Venetia returning to Damerel and forcing him to reveal his feelings before he gets himself back under control.

My favourite characters are Sophy, Frederica, Sarah Thane, and the reluctant widow. I can't begin to list my favourite heroes! And I've always had a soft spot for Gideon in The Foundling (just as I have for Horatio in Hamlet - but that's another story!).

message 39: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments Ahuja wrote: Also love love love Pelham and Pom's drunken invasion into What's-his-face's house, talking of card parties and brooches

That scene makes me laugh almost to the point of tears no matter how many times I read it.

message 40: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments Cotillion - when Freddy knocks Jack down!! Finally that man gets what he deserved!! I wanted to do it to him myself!!

I also thought Dolph and Hannah were cute!!

message 41: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 479 comments Soph wrote: "Cotillion - when Freddy knocks Jack down!!

And the Rev. Hugh cheers.

message 42: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments Yes! And Kitty is like to Hugh, you wanted to do that yourself didn't you! Hahaha

message 43: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments I've always had a soft spot for Hugh. He may be a little tedious at times, but he really is a man of principle, and I admire that.

message 44: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 518 comments The fact that Hugh is kind to Dolph scores him points in my book.

message 45: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments That is good, it is a shame he took so much persuading! But, yes, i think he is a good man, unlike his brother!!!

message 46: by Damaskcat (new)

Damaskcat | 75 comments One of my all time favourite supporting characters is Jonathan Chawleigh in 'A Civil Contract'. He is just such a marvellous comic character and yet he knows the world so well and he finally does achieve a good and understanding relationship with Adam. I liked the way he got on with Lydia as well.

I have so many favourite scenes - where do I start?

message 47: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 8 comments I just love Tom from Sylvester, because he is so caring and blunt (he really gives Phoebe and Sylvester some well deserverd trims).
Favorite scenes... oh, there are so many...
Phoebe and Sylvesters bickering at the Blue Boar
Abby Wendover's first encounter with Miles Calverleigh
Rotherham trying to make his fiancée cry off, so that he can marry Serena
Mary's encounter with His Grace of Avon
Arabella's talk with her brother's friend (can't think of his name right now "Bertram swallowed a spider???"

message 48: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments Michaela said: Mary's encounter with His Grace of Avon

That's one of those scenes I will read, and then read it right over again before going on with the rest of the book, because it makes me smile no matter how many times I read it.

message 49: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4170 comments Mod
I'm carefully trying not to look at some of the favourite scenes but I was thinking of favourite supporting characters & mine would have to be Rupert from TOS & Devil's Cub. He just crackles with life.

Some of my others have been mentioned but I don't think anyone mentioned Cedric from The Corinthian. A charming scapegrace!

message 50: by Elza (last edited Apr 30, 2015 03:52AM) (new)

Elza (emr1) | 296 comments Oh my, I can't remember all the names but the scene in The Grand Sophy when she shoots the hapless fiance -- the one who got mumps. I still remember the first time I read it -- "she did WHAT?" But it worked!

Sylvester's mother is a favorite (although how she puts up with that daughter-in-law I do not know), and also Patience's parents in The Nonesuch.

I think top of the list, though, has to be Venetia's step-father, both because he's a great character and because he appears on the scene at such a helpfully opportune moment. That one short walk with him and Edward together -- priceless!

« previous 1 3 4