2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE - Mod Stuff > Do You Have a Challenge Idea? Post Them Here! 2012 to very early 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments I have a halloween challenge idea for October if you want to use it. It just involves reading books about one or more of the things/creatures people like to dress up as on halloween :)

Witch – Read a book about magic OR read a non ficton book about witches or witch burning

Vampire – Read a book about vampires OR read a book with a black/dark cover

Ghost – Read a spooky book OR read a book with a dead main character

Skeleton – Read a book in which lots of people die OR read a book by an author who's dead

Devil – Read a book with a red cover OR read a book that's the 6th in a series OR read a banned book

Mummy – Read a historical fiction book OR read a book published at least 100 years ago

Alien - Read a book with a green cover OR read a science fiction book

Murderer - Read murder mystery novel OR read a book in which the main character kills someone (accidental or not)

message 2: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 615 comments I have built an owl-themed challenge for myself because I love owls. Not sure if it would work for the group, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

1) Owls are very much en vogue right now. You can find them on jewellery, clothing, accessories, ... Read a book that has got an owl *in* or *on* it.

2) The smallest owl - the Elf Owl - weighs just 31 grams and measures about 13.5 cm. Read a short book OR read a light book.

3) Some Western, Arab and African traditions see owls as a bad omen, some even as an omen of death. Read a book where a character dies.

4) Owls don't build nests. Instead, they search for hollow spaces or nests abandoned by others. Read a book that you borrowed or got second-hand.

5) In old Aztec and European cultures, but also in new stories like Harry Potter, owls are associated with witchcraft and sorcery. Read a magical book.

6) Many owls blend in absolutely perfect with their environment due to the colouring of their feathers. Read a book that is camouflaging in your favourite colour.

7) Three Canadian provinces carry owls as their provincial symbols. Quebec has a Snowy Owl, Alberta has a Great Horned Owl, and Manitoba has a Great Grey Owl. Read a book about Canada or written by a Canadian author.

8) Owls have nocturnal eyes. They cannot move them but move their head instead to look in other directions. With a radius of 270°, they can look behind them without turning their body. Turn your head to see what's behind you and read a book that you've enjoyed before. (No skimming!)

message 3: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Random, but I was just thinking about all the series I started as a kid but never finished:

Alien Adventures by Bruce Coville
Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville
Shabanu by Suzanne Fisher Staples
The Giver by Lois Lowrey

These are all books I cared about deeply as a child, but I have no idea how they ended! Considering August is "first in a series" month, would anyone be interested in a new yearly series challenge? If we don't start it now, we could start it at the start of next year.

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I'd love to finish the Giver series. I read Gathering Blue (number two in the trilogy) but never got around to reading Messenger. I wanted to read the other two again before finishing it all off.

I don't know about a new challenge, but that does sound cool and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to resist joining a new challenge!!! haha

message 5: by Nathaly (new)

Nathaly | 356 comments Lilac wrote: "I have a halloween challenge idea for October if you want to use it. It just involves reading books about one or more of the things/creatures people like to dress up as on halloween :)

Witch – Rea..."

I like it!

message 6: by Nathaly (new)

Nathaly | 356 comments I have an idea that I created for September.

1. September comes from the Latin words septem, meaning seven and septimus, meaning seventh. Read a book whose title contains a number.

2. The flower for the month of September is the aster which symbolizes love. Read a book whose theme is about love can be about friendship, romance, etc.

3. Virgo and Libra are the astrological signs for September. Read a book where the protoganist is a perfectionist and doesn’t take criticms likey or where the protagonist is trying to find balance in his/her life.

4. Labor Day is the most well known holiday in September. Read a book that centers itself on a holiday.

5. The United States was attacked by terrorists on September 11, 2001. Read a book about war or history (can be historical fiction.)

6. September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. Read a book where the main character is struggling with health problems.

7. The birthstone for September is the sapphire. Select a book whose title contains a color or the main character is named after a color.

8. The very first comic strip was printed in an American newspaper on September 11th, 1875. Read a comic book, graphic novel or manga.

9. The 4th week of September is National Dog Week. Read a book where the main character is an animal or the book is about animals.

10. Many famous people were born in September: William Howard Taft, Salma Hayek, Adam Sandler, Bruce Springsteen. Read an autobiography or biogprahy or book about coming of age.

message 7: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Ooh, I like it Nathaly!

message 8: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments Great Idea Nathaly :)

message 9: by Nathaly (new)

Nathaly | 356 comments Lilac wrote: "Great Idea Nathaly :)"

thanks you guys :)

message 10: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments How about some sort of book-movie challenge next year when we read books that have been made into movies or are about to be made into movies. I suggest this because I know that I (and loads of others) like to read the book before watching the movie and also it would be great to see what some of our favourite movie are based off.

message 11: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Lilac, you're basically a mind reader. One of the tasks for the main September challenge is exactly that. :)

message 12: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments lol that's great! :D

message 13: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I like the idea of an entire challenge of that, Lilac. Maybe next year!

message 14: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Let's talk about October! I love Lilac's Halloween challenge, and we will certainly be using it. Any ideas for additions to it? A few more categories would be wonderful.

Don't forget--we also need a mini challenge!

message 15: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I´m doing a year long book to movie challenge on my own, not I think I have 8 now or something :)

message 16: by Toni (new)

Toni | 234 comments I haven't really completely thought this through but I am thinking about an alphabet challenge. Go through the alphabet using titles first, then go through next using authors' last names. You could see how many times you could get through the alphabet in a year. I would use my TBR list to find the books. Just a not fully formed idea.

message 17: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments I'm doing that challenge this year and it's harder than I thought it'd be, I still haven't found a book beginning with Q!

message 18: by Toni (new)

Toni | 234 comments Lilac wrote: "I'm doing that challenge this year and it's harder than I thought it'd be, I still haven't found a book beginning with Q!"

I have a book on my TBR list called Q by Luther Blissett. Sounded interesting to me, long but interesting.

message 19: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments Thanks so much! I've added it to my TBR :)

message 20: by Sharon (last edited Aug 10, 2012 03:00PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 740 comments Or if you are reading Sue Grafton's series ...

Q is for Quarry (Kinsey Millhone, #17) by Sue Grafton

or there are 8-10 books with the title of Quarantine - one of them might be interesting

message 21: by Barb (new)

Barb Lilac wrote: "I'm doing that challenge this year and it's harder than I thought it'd be, I still haven't found a book beginning with Q!"

Anything that starts with Quick, Quiet, Quit or Queen would work too.

message 22: by Kara (last edited Sep 11, 2012 11:40AM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Our November theme is HISTORICAL FICTION.

Any challenge ideas?

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 740 comments Some ideas for November ...
ELECTION DAY – read a book whose plot involves elections or politics, or read a book about your favorite President or political leader (JFK and Zachary Taylor both born in November)
AMERICAN EDUCATION WEEK -Read a book where the MC is a teacher, or is in school. Tell who you favorite teacher in school was.
VETERANS DAY – read a book with soldiers, veterans, involving a war etc …
AMERICA RECYCLES DAY – read a book that is “green” either printed on recycled paper or talks about being “green” or recycle(re-read) a book you’ve already read. Or read a book you own or have borrowed.
NATIONAL CHILDREN'S BOOK WEEK - Tell about your favorite book growing up, or read a children’s book
THANKSGIVING - Read one book that you are thankful for, or tell about a book that you think is a real turkey
NATIONAL AUTHORS DAY – read a book by your favorite author

A few other events this month:

ALL SAINTS DAY
AVIATION MONTH
ADOPTION DAY
NATIONAL CLEAN OUT YOUR REFRIGERATOR DAY
MICKEY MOUSE’S BIRTHDAY
DAYLIGHT SAVINGS ENDS – read the last book in a series
GUY FAWKES DAY (also know as Bonfire Night) – read a book that has been burned or is/has been on a banned booked list

message 24: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Love it, Sharon!

message 25: by mussolet (last edited Sep 11, 2012 02:22PM) (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 615 comments NaNoWriMo is in November as well. So you could read a book written by an author taking part in NaNo, or read a book about a writer, or with a book inside the book.

And November 9 is quite important in Germany, as it is the anniversary of both the Night of the Broken Glass and the Fall of the Berlin Wall (among other things).
So you could read a book about Germany, or about change, or about tolerance (which is an important part of the debates that happen every year).

I love Sharon's idea about the Daylight Savings...

message 26: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments This is my favorite genre. I'll get my thinking cap on!

message 27: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean I have made lots of challenges for other groups. if you would like me to send any or use any let me know. I've made pnr/uf, fairytale, a school and a music challenge

message 28: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments I thought of this because I like challenging myself to read faster, or even just challenging myself to read to a certain point in a certain amount of time.

Read a book in one sitting challenge

This would probably be easiest if participants paired off, or it could be done alone as a personal challenge.

Each person chooses their own book to read and posts the book, the number of pages, and a rough estimate of how many pages they can read in an hour on average.

Then their partner (or self) will give them a time limit based on their pages per hour.

Ex - I read about 50 pages an hour. If I chose a book 350 pages, long, either myself or a partner could give me 7 hours to read the book, or eight if they're being generous.

It'd probably work best as a monthly challenge, with the whole month to decide what day you're going to sit down and spend a few straight hours reading, possibly with the option to do the same with the next book you read. It would work really well with other challenges, as a supplement rather than an additional challenge.

Sorry this is so detailed x.x

message 29: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments I like it, Alexandra! We can do it as one of our mini challenges. :)

message 30: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) That would be so hard! And so awesome. ;)

message 31: by Candiss (last edited Dec 05, 2012 02:41PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 996 comments I have a soft spot for parallel novels and retellings, which are similar but not identical. I'll quote The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia's definition of a parallel novel:

"A parallel novel is a work of fiction that exists within, or derives from, the framework of another work of fiction by another author. They usually have the same setting and time period, and many of the same characters, but are told from a different perspective."

That page has some examples, but more can be found at Wikipedia

Goodreads has no Listopia lists of parallel works, but they have many lists of retellings.. (For anyone not familiar with retellings, Goodreads also supplies a genre page, with this definition:

"A new version of an older story. Sometimes, a fairy tale or myth may be reimagined with a modernized setting or retold from a minor character's perspective.")

I'd love a challenge where we each read both a parallel novel or retelling and its source work. We'd thus each read a pair of books and would hopefully get a better understanding of where the parallel author is coming from and another perspective on the source.

For example, I might choose to read Lousia May Alcott's Little Women paired with Geraldine Brooks's parallel novel March, which tells Mr. March's untold story. Or I might pick Shakespeare's King Lear and Jane Smiley's retelling A Thousand Acres. Or a more whimsical choice might be to read a classic and one of the humorous recent retellings, a la Jane Austen's P&P paired with "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies."

message 32: by Toni (new)

Toni | 234 comments Candiss wrote: "I have a soft spot for parallel novels and retellings, which are similar but not identical. I'll quote The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia's definition of a parallel novel:

"A parallel nove..."

Great idea!!!

message 33: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Very good idea Candiss!

message 34: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Kara wrote: "I like it, Alexandra! We can do it as one of our mini challenges. :)"

Sweet! Yay ^.^

Trevor wrote: "That would be so hard! And so awesome. ;)"

The pressure's on!

Candiss wrote: "I have a soft spot for parallel novels and retellings, which are similar but not identical. I'll quote The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia's definition of a parallel novel:

"A parallel nove..."

That's such a great idea! Omg I would love to do that with Dorian Gray or A Tale of Two Cities.

message 35: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean Here's one challenge I created for a group

Monster Challenge
Everyone who reads paranormal books knows that there are a multitude of monsters and supernatural beings. For this challenge there will be a list of monsters to choose from. Once you choose your monster(s), you must read book(s) that have that monster in it. If there are more than one monster/creature in you book, then choose the dominant monster in the book. At least five monsters must be chosen for this challenge.

Note: You can add books to your list that have not been released yet as long as they will be released with the time frame you set for yourself.

The Challenge will officially start on August 1, but anyone can join the challenge whenever they choose to. This challenge can be repeated as many times as you’d like.

Levels:
Easy: 1-2 books per monster = One year from start date
Medium: 3-4 books per monster = One and half years from start date
Hard: 5+ books per monster = Two years from start date

Here is a list of monsters and their descriptions. If you know of any monsters other than the ones on the list, feel free to add it to the list and use it in your challenge.

Aliens- Beings that come from outer space and other planets.
Angel- A celestial being from heaven. They are usually depicted as having large white
wings and in human form. Evil angels are depicted as having black wings. Fallen angels are angels who have been sent to earth for some purpose or for some transgression they have
committed in heaven.
Banshee- Is a woman spirit or creature that screams to foretell the death of a person. She comes at night and screams her warnings.
Centaurs- A creature that has the upper body of a human and the lower body of a horse.
Clairvoyant- A person who is able to see premonitions or visions of the past, present and future
Demon- A creature from hell, that is malevolent
Dhampyrs- They are the children of a vampire and a human. Some say that dhampyrs are undead like their vampire parent but have human blood in them. Dhampyrs tend to become
skillful vampire hunters.
Dragon- Large reptilian creatures with scales. The European dragons are depicted with having great bat-like wings. Dragons are fire-breathers who usually live in caves where they guard treasure. Asian dragons are said to be celestial beings who help men and are noble creatures of great benefit.
Dream Walker- A person who can enter other’s dreams.
Elves- Supernatural beings who look human. There are many kinds of Elves. Some help humans while some affect humans by causing disease and harming livestock. The Elves of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth are different from the Elves of folklore.
Fairy/Pixie- Small creatures in human form that are usually depicted as being tiny and having large wings growing from their back. They are said to be guardians of nature. There
are many different kinds of fairies. Some fairies are good to humans while others are not.
Ghost- The soul or spirit of a dead person who lingers after death to haunt people or places. Some are harmless while others are scare humans and kill them.
Ghoul- Hideous creatures who live in graveyards, caves and forests. They are shape shifters who lure humans to eat them, eat the dead and rob graves. They are drawn to graveyards, murder scenes and battlefields where they can feast on human flesh.
God/Goddess- God/Goddesses are beings that are immortal and are usually associated with one element of nature or aspect of human life such as lightening, winds, earth, marriage and so on.
Gremlins- They are devious and mischievous creatures who are said to focus on sabotaging vehicles and other technological objects.
Goblins- Creatures who are said to be evil and to possess different magical powers. Goblins are said to be small and dwarflike.
Immortal- A being, which can be human or non-human, who does not die, lives “forever” and cannot be killed. They usually have other supernatural powers as well. This is left up to your interpretation of what an immortal is (Ex: vampires, fairies, werewolves)
Incubus- The same as a succubus except it is a male demon who seduces women.
Lightbringers/Fenestras/Soul Catchers- Humans who have the supernatural power to see souls who have not moved on to the afterlife. These humans also have the ability to send these souls into their afterlife.
Merfolk- A creature who is half human and half fish.
Monster- Fictional creatures that is often hideous and produces fear or harm. For this challenge a monster is any creature that is NOT described in this list. Examples are Wendigo, Boogeyman, Jersey devil and so on.
Necromancer- A person who has the power to raise the dead.
Nephilim- They are the children of an angel and a human. Some have supernatural powers and some don’t. Some nephilim do not know what they are and that they have powers.
Orcs- Human like creatures with ugly features and black, grey or green skin. They are said to be fierce and combative. Some mythologies say that Orcs are evil spirits from Hell that live on earth and haunt forests. Orcs in J.R.R. Tolkien are different from the Orc folklore.
Pegasus- A white stallion that has wings and the ability to fly.
Sandman- A being who puts sleeping sand on people at night to make them sleep.
Shape Shifter- A person who changes their appearance in to that of another person or animal.
Succubus- A female demon, who can be in human form, who seduces men in their dreams and has sex with them. They draw the energy from the men often until the man is exhausted or dead.
Telekinetic- A person who can move objects with their minds.
Telepath- A person who can read the minds of others.
Unicorn- A creature that is usually depicted as a horse with a horn coming out of its head, with a goat’s beard and cloved hooves. Other descriptions of the Unicorn say that it has the head of the horse, the body of a stag and the tail of a lion. Unicorns are usually said to be white or silver. A unicorn’s horn has magically and medicinal properties that can heal sickness among other things.
Vampire- A immortal undead being, that sucks blood (human/animal) in order to live.
They can have many supernatural powers such as super strength, super speed and compulsion to name a few.
Werewolf- A person who takes the shape of a wolf either by the light of the full moon, by their own will, a curse or by wearing a wolf skin.
Witch/ Warlock/ Wizard/ Sorcerer/ Sorceress- Is a person who had supernatural powers, who casts spells and creates potions. The supernatural powers that a witch possesses depend on the particular witch. Witches can either practice black or white mag
Zombie- An animated corpse that doesn’t have a soul and who eat human flesh. Throughout history, it was believed that Zombies were raised and controlled by a necromancer or sorcerer. Now, with zombie movies, zombies can be created by a virus or being bitten by a zombie.

message 36: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean Heres another

Fairytale Challenge

We all know about fairy tales and legends. Some are more common while some are more unfamiliar. For this challenge you can choose how many fairy tale categories you want to read. For each fairy tale there will be multiple choices for you to choose from when choosing a book. This challenge is a little different because there will also be a choice to watch a fairy tale movie instead of reading a book. You may also want to choose one of the reading choice and watch the movie too.

Duration: One year from start date.

Levels:
1. Easy: Complete 10 Fairy Tales
2. Medium: Complete 20 Fairy Tales
3. Hard: Complete all Fairy Tales
*Note: Some of the original fairy tales are short so to make the challenge more difficult you can choose to do another of the choices for the fairy tales.

Rules
1. There are 34 fairy tales to choose from
2. Rereads are fine as long as they are actually reread.
3. You can put books on your list that have not come out yet as long as the book will come out during your duration of the challenge
4. When finished reading a book, you can cross it out or simply put the date you finished reading
the book next to the title
5. If you decide to watch a movie, give a sentence or two about if you liked/disliked the movie and why
6. Rate the book or movie!

Fairy Tales

Aladdin
1. Read the original Aladdin fairy tale from the Arabian Nights
Tale: Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp
2. Read any retelling of Aladdin
3. Read a book that has sorcery or magic in the book
4. Watch any Aladdin movie whether it’s the Disney version or another version

The Arabian Nights
1. Read the original Arabian Nights fairy tale
2. Read a retelling of the Arabian Nights
3. Read a book that takes place in India or the Middle East

Bambi

1. Read the original novel “Bambi, a Life in the Woods” by Felix Salten

2. Read a book that has animals or a forest in it

3. Watch the Disney movie Bambi

Beauty and the Beast

1. Read the original Beauty and the Beast fairy tale

2. Read any retelling of Beauty and the Beast
3. Read a book that has a werewolf or shape shifter in it
4. Watch a Beauty and the Beast Movie whether it is the Disney version or another version

Bluebeard
1. Read the original Bluebeard fairy tale
2. Read a retelling of the Bluebeard fairy tale
3. Read a book with a serial killer in it

Chicken Little/Henny Penny
1. Read an apocalyptic book (End of the World)
2. Read a dystopian book (Life After the End of the World)

Cinderella
1. Read the original Cinderella fairy tale from the Grimm Brothers
2. Read any retelling of Cinderella
3. Read a book with a princess in it (it can be a princess of a made up land or a real princess in a historical fiction book)
4. Watch a Cinderella movie whether it’s the Disney movie or other version (ex- Ever After movie)

Cupid and Psyche
1. Read the original Cupid and Psyche Greek myth
2. Read any retelling of Cupid and Psyche
3. Read a love story or a romance book

The Elves and the Shoemaker
1. Read the original Elves and the Shoemaker fairy tale from the Grimm Brothers
2. Read a book that haves Elves in it
3. Read a book where the character loves shoes

The Emperor’s New Clothes
1. Read the original Emperor’s New Clothes by Hans Christian Anderson
2. Read a book where fashion/clothes plays a major role
3. Read a book that has an emperor in it
4. Watch Disney’s The Emperor’s New Clothes movie

The Frog Prince/ The Princess and the Frog
1. Read the original Frog Prince fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm
2. Read any retelling of the Frog Prince
3. Watch any Frog Prince movie whether it’s the Disney version or another version

The Gingerbread Man
1. Read the original Gingerbread Man tale along with any other retelling of the story
2. Read a book with a dessert on the cover
3. Read a book where the character is a chef or baker or owns a bakery

Goldilocks and the Three Bears
1. Read the original Goldilocks and the Three Bears tale
2. Read a book where the main character had blond hair
3. Read a book that takes place in the wilderness or in a forest

Hansel and Gretel
1. Read the original Hansel and Gretel fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm
2. Read a retelling of the Hansel and Gretel tale
3. Read a book that has twins, a character who is close with their siblings or a character who is close to any family members/friends who they consider family

Jack and the Bean Stalk
1. Read the original Jack and the Bean Stalk fairy tale
2. Read a retelling of Jack and the Bean Stalk
3. Read a book that has to do with giants

King Arthur and His Knights
1. Read the original King Arthur tales by Sir Thomas Malory
2. Read any retelling of King Arthur or any other of his knights
3. Watch a movie about Kings Arthur or any of his knights (Ex: Disney’s The Sword in the Stone; King Arthur (2004); Tristan and Isolde (2006), etc.)

The Lion King
1. Read the original The Lion King tale
2. Read a book where the character has a pet
3. Read a book with shape shifters
4. Watch Disney’s the Lion King movie

The Little Mermaid
1. Read the original The Little Mermaid fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson
2. Read any Retelling of the Little Mermaid
3. Read any book that has mermaids or sirens in it
4. Watch any The Little Mermaid movie whether it’s the Disney version or another version

Mulan
1. Read the original Chinese Mulan legend
2. Read any retelling of Mulan
3. Read any book that takes place in China or whose character is Chinese
4. Watch Disney’s Mulan movie

The Nightingale
1. Read the original Nightingale fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson
2. Read a book where the main character is a singer or has a beautiful voice
3. Read a steampunk book

The Nutcracker and the Mouse King
1. Read the original Nutcracker tale by E.T.A. Hoffmann
2. Read a book where the character is a ballerina
3. Read a book that takes place during the Christmas season
4. Watch a ballet version of the Nutcracker

The Princess and the Pea
1. Read the original Princess and the Pea fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson
2. Read any retelling of the Princess and the Pea
3. Read a book where the character has trouble sleeping – any reason for lack of sleep for the character is fine

Puss in Boots
1. Read the original Puss in Boots fairy tale
2. Read a book where the character has a pet cat
3. Read a book with a shape shifter who turns into any cat/feline species

Rapunzel
1. Read the original Rapunzel fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm
2. Read any retelling of Rapunzel
3. Watch Disney’s Tangled movie

Red Riding Hood
1. Read the original Red Riding Hood fairy tale from the brother Grimm
2. Read a retelling of Red Riding Hood
3. Read a book with a red cover
4. Watch a Red Riding Hood movie (ex- 2012 movie of the same name)

Robin Hood
1. Read the original Robin Hood tale
2. Read any retelling of Robin Hood or any of his merry men
3. Read any book with a thief in it
4. Watch any movie about Robin Hood (ex- Disney’s Robin Hood; Robin Hood (2012))

Rumpelstiltskin
1. Read the original Rumpelstiltskin tale from the Brothers Grimm
2. Read any retelling of Rumpelstiltskin
3. Read a book where the main character is pregnant
4. Read a book with a yellow or gold cover

Sleeping Beauty
1. Read the original Sleeping Beauty fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm
2. Read any retelling of Sleeping Beauty
3. Read a book that has a witch in it
4. Watch a Sleeping Beauty movie whether it’s the Disney movie or another version

The Snow Queen
1. Read the original Snow Queen fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson
2. Read any retelling of the Snow Queen
3. Read a book that takes place somewhere cold or with snow
4. Read a book with a white cover

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
1. Read the original Snow White fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm
2. Read any retelling of Snow White
3. Read a book with a girl with black hair on the cover
4. Watch any Snow White Movie whether it’s the Disney version or another Version (ex- Snow White and the Huntsman)

Snow White and Rose Red
1. Read the original Snow White and Rose Red tale from the Grimm’s Brothers
2. Read any retelling of Snow White and Rose Red
3. Read a book that has a rose on it
4. Read a book with sisters in it

Thumbelina
1. Read the original Thumbelina fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson
2. Read a book where the character is small or short
3. Read a book with fairies in it

The Twelve Dancing Princesses
1. Read the original The Twelve Dancing Princesses fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm
2. Read any retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses
3. Read a book where a party, dance or prom is a major part of the plot

The Ugly Duckling
1. Read the original Ugly Duckling fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson
2. Read a book where the character is “ugly”
3. Read a coming of age book

message 37: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean And another :D

Entertainment Challenge
For this challenge pick a band, music artist, actor or actress and spell their name out.

If choosing a band or artist, in addition to spelling out their name you can pick your favoriet(s) song(s) and spell them out too.

Duration: Its up to you. You can redo this challenge after you completed the first trial. It can be repeated as many times as you'd like.

You can use book titles, authors first/last names, name of the book series or character's first/last names to spell it out.

message 38: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean and Lastly:

School Challenge

For this challenge there is a list of college majors/subjects that can be studied in college. Categories for book choices are assigned to each major/subjects. For all the majors/subjects there will be at least two choices of books to read from. One choice will be fiction books while the other will be a non-fiction choice. I figure that since in school the subjects are taught with textbooks and non-fiction books, that a non-fiction choice would be appropriate.

Rules
1. The list of majors includes 39 majors/subjects
2. Choose your level and the major/subjects you would like to complete
3. Within each major/subject choose either to read a fiction or non-fiction book
Note: If you would like to complete both choices, please feel free but it is NOT mandatory to complete the challenge.
4. Rereads are fine as long as they are actually reread.
5. When finished reading a book, you can cross it out or simply put the date you finished reading the book next to the title
6. Rate the book!

Duration
One Year from Start Date

Levels
Associates Degree- 10 majors/subjects
Bachelor’s Degree- 20 majors/subjects
Master’s Degree- 30 majors/ subjects
Doctorate Degree- All majors/ subjects

Majors
Acting
1. Read a book with a character who is an actor or involved in a play/movie, OR
2. Read a book that was made into a movie, OR
3. Read a non-fiction book about acting

African Studies
1. Read a book that takes place (wholly or partly) in any African country, or African islands, OR
2. Read a non-fiction or history book about any African country or African island

American History
1. Read a book that takes place (wholly or partly) in the United States, OR
2. Read a non-fiction or history book about the United States or about any state in the United States

Art
1. Read a book where the character is an artist, OR
2. Read a book that has a piece of artwork on the cover, OR
3. Read a non-fiction book about art, art history or any art strategy/technique

Archeology
1. Read a book that takes place in any ancient civilization (eg- Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt, etc), OR
2. Read a non-fiction or history book about any ancient civilization

Asian History
1. Read a book that takes place (wholly or partly) in any Asian country or Asian island, OR
2. Read a non-fiction or history book about any Asian country or Asian island

Astronomy
1. Read a book that takes place in space or includes aliens, OR
2. Read a non-fiction book about astronomy, space, planets, stars, or any aspect of space (eg. constellations, meteors, black holes, etc)

Australian History
1. Read a book whose character is Australian or that takes place (wholly or partly) in Australia or the Australian Islands, OR
2. Read a non-fiction or history book about Australia or any of its Islands

Business
1. Read a book where a character is in the business field or owns a company/business, OR
2. Read a non-fiction book about business or any aspect of business

Canadian History
1. Read a book that takes place (wholly or partly) in Canada or any of its islands, OR
2. Read a non-fiction or history book about Canada or any of its islands

Chemistry
1. Read a book that includes witches, any person who mixes potions or a chemist, OR
2. Read a non-fiction book about chemistry or witches

Computer Science
1. Read a book with a character who is computer savvy or whose career has to do with any aspect of computer science (repair, maintenance, etc), OR
2. Read a non-fiction book about computer science or any aspect of Computers

Criminal Studies/ Criminology
1. Read a book from the true crime, crime or murder mystery genre, Or
2. Read a non-fiction or history book about any crime, criminal or any aspect of criminology (ex- forensics, etc.)

Dance/Music
1. Read a book with a character who is a musician or a dancer, OR
2. Read a book with a musical instrument, a dancer or any aspect of music/dance (ex- notes, dance shoes, tutus) on the cover, OR
3. Read a non-fiction book about music, history of music, any musical instrument, dance, dance styles, or history of dance

Drama
1. Read a play by any playwright, OR
2. Read a non-fiction book about drama, theater or any aspect of theater (ex- Costume Design, Lighting, etc) or a biography of any playwright

Education
1. Read any children’s chapter book, OR
2. Read any children’s non-fiction book

European History
1. Read a book that takes place in any European country, OR
2. Read a non-fiction or history book about any European Country

Foreign Languages
1. Read a book that was originally published in a language different from your own (indicate what language you speak and what language the book was originally published in), OR
2. Read a book in a different language (indicate your language and what language the book you’re reading is in), OR
3. Read a non- fiction book about any language or a non-fiction book about linguistics or a history book about languages or a non-fiction book in a different language,
(If choosing to read a n.f. book in a different language then indicate your language and what language the book is in)

Food Science/Culinary Arts
1. Read a book with a character who is a chef, OR
2. Read a book with food on the cover, OR
3. Read a non-fiction book about food or culinary arts

Graphic Design
1. Read a graphic novel or a comic book, Or
2. Read a non-fiction book about graphic design or comic book art

Health/ Physical Education/Fitness/ Sports Studies
1. Read a book whose character is into fitness and health, OR
2. Read a book with a character who is into sports or plays a sport, OR
3. Read a non-fiction or history book about health, fitness, an athlete or sports

History
1. Read a historical fiction book, OR
2. Read a history book of your choosing

History of British Isles
1. Read a book that takes place (wholly or partly) in England, Scotland, Ireland or any of Britain’s islands, OR
2. Read a book with a English, Scottish or Irish character, OR
3. Read a non-fiction or history book about any country or island in the British Isles

Indian History
1. Read a book that takes place (wholly or partly) in India, OR
2. Read a book with a Indian character, OR
3. Read a non-fiction or History book about India

Law Studies
1. Read a book with a character who is a lawyer, OR
2. Read a non-fiction book about law or about any trial

Library Science
1. Read a fiction book of your choosing, OR
2. Read a non-fiction book of your choosing

Literature
1. Read a book from the classics genre (ex: Dracula, The Scarlett Letter, etc) OR
2. Read a biography about a classic author (ex: Victor Hugo, Nathaniel Hawthorne, etc)

Mathematics
1. Read a book with a number in the title, OR
2. Read a book about math or numbers (ex: Numerology/ Astrology)

Medicinal Studies
1. Read a book whose character is a doctor or a nurse or whose setting takes place partly in a hospital, OR
2. Read a non-fiction book about medicine, medical studies or diseases

Military Science
1. Read a book with a character who is in the army, navy, marines or any part of the military, OR
2. Read a book that has a war in in (can be a paranormal war), OR
3. Read a non-fiction or history book about the military, any military program or any war

Mythology
1. Read a book that includes mythology and/or any gods/goddesses of any mythology (gods or goddesses can be reincarnations of the original god/goddess), OR
2. Read a book about any culture’s mythology (ex- Norse Mythology, Greek Mythology, Egyptian Mythology), OR
3. Read a non-fiction book or history about any culture’s mythology (ex. How the mythology came into being)

Oceanography/ Marine Science
1. Read a book that includes mermaids, OR
2. Read a book with a body of water, beach or beach/ocean item on the cover, OR
3. Read a non-fiction book about oceans, ocean animals, ocean plants or any aspect of the ocean or marine studies

Political Science
1. Read a book with a character who is a king, queen, president, dictator or somehow in politics, OR
2. A book that has a monarchy in it (the book doesn’t have to be about the king or queen, but can be about a peasant or person who lives during a monarchy), OR
3. Read a non-fiction or history book about any country’s monarchy or any king, queen, president,
dictator or politician

Psychology/ Psychiatry
1. Read a book with a character who is dealing with a psychological illness (ex: anorexia, cutting,
schizophrenia) or with a character who is a psychologist/psychiatrist who is treating a patient, OR
2. Read a non-fiction book about psychology or any psychological illness

Religious Studies
1. Read a religious fiction book of any religion, OR
2. Read a non-fiction book about any religion of your choosing

Sociology
1. Read a book whose character is in a club, social group or a social status, OR
2. Read a non-fiction book about any aspect of sociology (social services, child welfare, victims’ rights, women’s rights, etc.)

South American History
1. Read a book that takes place (wholly or partly) in a South American country or any South American Island, OR
2. Read a non-fiction or history book about any South American country or Island

Veterinary Science/ Zoology
1. Read a book with shape-shifters, OR
2. Read a book with a character that is a veterinarian or where an animal plays a prominent role, OR
3. Read a non-fiction book about zoology, veterinary science or any animal

Writing/Author
1. Read a book by a new to you Author, OR
2. Read a non-fiction or history book by a new to you Author

message 39: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Those are fantastic Joanne! Especially the college major one, that's freaking awesome!

message 40: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments I really love the fairy tales one. It'd be great to read the originals of some stories we've loved as kids. :)

message 41: by Nathaly (new)

Nathaly | 356 comments Joanne♥ wrote: "and Lastly:

School Challenge

For this challenge there is a list of college majors/subjects that can be studied in college. Categories for book choices are assigned to each major/subjects. For al..."

WOW

message 42: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 54 comments Joanne♥ wrote: "and Lastly:

School Challenge

For this challenge there is a list of college majors/subjects that can be studied in college. Categories for book choices are assigned to each major/subjects. For al..."

Great challenges, Joanne! I'm interested!

message 43: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Wow, all, some great challenges!

Joanne, did those get published and used in the other groups, or were they just ideas? If the former, were they groups you were a mod of? (Before cross-posting challenges, I just want to check with the mods to make sure they're cool with it.)

message 44: by Kai (new)

Kai (uchinaguchi) Someone recently asked me how it was that I have enough time to read so much. I don't think that I read a substantial amount in one day, but I do read for about 2 hours each day during my commute to and from work. The amazing thing is that I used to get incredibly car sick and would have never considered reading in a moving vehicle.

Would anyone be interested in a challenge focused on where you read, rather than what you read?

message 45: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I love the college major one!

message 46: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Kai wrote: "Would anyone be interested in a challenge focused on where you read, rather than what you read?"

YES! That is such a good idea, Kai.

message 47: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean Kara wrote: "Wow, all, some great challenges!

Joanne, did those get published and used in the other groups, or were they just ideas? If the former, were they groups you were a mod of? (Before cross-posting cha..."

those were challenges I made up by myself. 3 of they were posted in one other group and 1 was posted in another group. I am not a mod for any groups. Would that be a problem? B/c the challenges ideas, tasks and the whole set up of the challenges were created by me. No one helped me.

message 48: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 54 comments Kara wrote: "Wow, all, some great challenges!

Joanne, did those get published and used in the other groups, or were they just ideas? If the former, were they groups you were a mod of? (Before cross-posting cha..."

Any decision about this yet?

message 49: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments I'm pretty sure we can use them. Joanne, would you mind sending me the name of the groups so that I can PM the mods and ask for permission to repost? It should be totally fine.

(We have other groups repost our challenges, and they always ask for permission first, so I just want to make sure we keep with the normal way of doing things.)

message 50: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 54 comments Kara wrote: "I'm pretty sure we can use them. Joanne, would you mind sending me the name of the groups so that I can PM the mods and ask for permission to repost? It should be totally fine.

(We have other grou..."

Thanks for looking into this!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Q (other topics)
Q is for Quarry (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Luther Blissett (other topics)