Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Off Topic Discussion > The Scariest Things In the World

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
What Scares you? I'm just curious. Put it here. A link, a picture, a good description. Somethings are scarier than they look. What's the Scariest thing in the Human World?

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4LNjN...

The New Zealand All Blacks (The National Team) performing the Haka. This is the dance the islanders do just before every kick off. The wilder and more "into it" they get, the more it's supposed to bring them strength and strike fear in the hearts of their enemies.

And it's cool to see but these guys get intense.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 465 comments Definitely clowns. Clowns were not made for niceness and goodness...

I actually did have a childhood fear of clowns due to a fright from a guy in costume. I also hated anyone dressed in costumes.

message 4: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsXTa7...

This guy's pretty scary when he's not on your side.

Jonas Lomu ... the dude's big. Six foot plus, over 250 and he's faster than most running backs in the NFL.

message 5: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Pam wrote: "Curmudgeon wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsXTa7...

This guy's pretty scary when he's not on your side.

Jonas Lomu ... the dude's big. Six foot plus, over 250 and he's faster than most..."

This man might... he's Zinzan Brooke (love the Kiwi names).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_IssW...

message 6: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

and I think I'm on the record for putting snakes permanently in the Scary catagor.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Jun 05, 2012 08:34AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
Clowns are very scary. I agree, Jonathan.

For me it's giant cockroaches. Ew!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia...

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
Why should I tell YOU what I'm scared of????????? YOU could use it against me!!!! You could all use it against me!!!!!!

Remember if everyone really is out to get you...then paranoia is just good thinking!

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
LOL @ Mike.

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Mike we're coming to get YOU!

You know what harry Dresden said..."just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean there's not an invisible demon waiting to eat you face." Words to live by.

Of course now I have to change my name, have plastic surgery and move.

message 12: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

You could just cast a spell... (cue villain laugh)

I'm afraid of villain laughs.

message 14: by Lee (new)

Lee | 55 comments lol

I can see that...they're really hairy.

I know, I seem to have gotten carried away.

message 16: by Eileen (last edited Jun 07, 2012 12:06PM) (new)

Eileen I'm afraid of laughing villains that wear bad hairy toupees.

message 17: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'm afraid of laughing villains that wear bad hairy toupees and don't realize everyone knows it's moving...but him.

This is a scary place.

I think I just saw a giant spider riding a huge rat and wearing a bad toupee...wearing a sports jersey.

Clowns...don't mention clowns. I'm going for a drink...but then I have to worry about the pink elephants.

message 20: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Might as well have been pink elephants! Their trunks looked like the snakes chasing the Leprechauns riding the Purple Unicorns chasing the spiders that's riding the huge rat wearing a bad toupe that just finished watching a Clown act... which is where the Pink Elephants were going before they saw the snakes coming out of the holes under the porch that you can never quite see all the way in.

message 21: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Jun 07, 2012 03:39PM) (new)

Luckily I'm too confused to be scared now...I think.

message 22: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 465 comments You know I used to think that elephant was a rope or a fan or a snake but now I see that it's really a solid pink wall...

The scariest thing would have to be a clown on a tightrope. Mixing two fears of clowns and heights... Not to mention the pole he's using to balance could be a deadly weapon in disguise.

message 23: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

I got all this beat....

(view spoiler)

Like going home to the House of Dracula?

message 25: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

More like feeling safe and sound in your little warm cozy house...you see, Dracula can't come in unless you invite him, then... getting that nagging feeling ... like the stock market is bottom out, the economy is going bad, you know... the four horsewomen of the Apocalypse are coming and your nice cozy little bungalo is ground zero... so you look away from your TV, or up from your book just in time to hear your wife saying...sure, Nanna Dracula, you can come visit... of course you can come inside...

Have you ever wished for a hurricane to make another round by your house?

It was like Decker in star Trek the motion picture, everything went in super slow motion, my voice was distorted.."NnnnoooOOOOO, Deeellllaaaay thhhhhaaat phaaaser orderrrrrr."

But it was too late. Wife done been inscensed!

and, now you know why milk in Southern Marlyland suddenly curdled at 1115 AM on Friday Morning. Guess who's plane touched down. (They canceled that special fuels permit so she couldn't fly the broomstic down herself.

Was it a cross or a star of David that works on these guys?

Does anyone have the cellphone number of Monster Hunter International?

message 26: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Jun 08, 2012 12:37PM) (new)

Oh, and if you realize that I'm suddenly unable to write with Capital Letters. It doesn't mean I'm on my Cellphone...well, not only that... It means I'm probably a frog, or a newt or a cockroach...(sigh) a-gain... and It's too much trouble to hit the "Caps lock" key when you have to hit the keys by crawling onto the top of the screen and diving on to them wearing a crash helmet.

"Yes, Gabi, Nanna turned daddy into a mouse again." Mamma said with a sigh, "Noah, stop trying to give Daddy to the Cat!"...another (sigh)... "don't cry Gabi, he'll get better... probly.. usually... kind of.. maybe we should go to church tomorrow and light a candle...huh?"

The cross works if you have faith...and I think mother-in-laws are immune to garlic (they tend to use it). Football on TV can sometimes drive them away, but it's out of season. Possibly a war movie marathon, but you have to be careful. They can sometimes turn you wife and then all you can do is quietly try to survive.

Wear a silver cross on a silver chain. It might help.

message 28: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Jun 08, 2012 12:36PM) (new)

Okay, Mike... she's got a new Guilt weapon... It looks like I'm going to have to go to old faithful, grab that dirty 30 year old Crown Royal bag full of many multi-sided dice, get your Gary Gaygax hand books and manuels out and... Noah, it's time we called Nick, Nick's Dad, and the Nerd Herd....Daddy's going to teach you how to play Dungeons and Dragons...Old School style....it'll take about a week and fifty pounds of pizza!.

Oh yeah! That's a great idea. Delivery Pizza, gallons of caffeine and sugar laden soft drink with lots and lots of nerd humor and puns...thousands of puns!

message 30: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Hugh, it sounds like you had a very loooong week, lol.

message 31: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

HAD! SHE JUST GOT HERE!

And lo, the battle was joined.

message 33: by Eileen (new)

Eileen LOL!

I feel for you, I always got along with my mother-in-law. Of course she never came and stayed with us.

message 35: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

I have nothing against Nanna coming to stay with us fora few days...just as long as it coincides with any business trip or other that I have to take. She comes, I go, I come back she goes...the perfect visit.

message 36: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Pam wrote: "Wow, the last dozen comments seem to need the (cue evil music) ... da da da ... be afraid, be very afraid"

Ohhh.. yeah!

message 37: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments Dean wrote: "What scares me most? The current generation of college students. I'm not sure half of the can actually read ["I don't read outside of class. If I don't get it in class, I don't get it" And fran..."

Don't know about you, but 30~ years ago, my generation didn't read either. Answering Mother Nature's prime directive to propagate the species took up most of everyone's time. I only read sporadically, like after a humiliating & public breakup, or entering what I presumed to be a lifelong relationship. I only read about ten books a year back then. It wasn't until my life settled and I discovered thrillers that I started going through 80+ books a year.

message 38: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Jun 10, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

Not all of us Seeley. I was busy "making young man mistakes" and still found time to read several books a week. Had friends who did to...including the first girl I "seriously" made mistakes with. And even the ones who didn't read much could. I graduated from high school in '70 and I don't think anyone in our school thought Canada was part of the US...or that the sun was closer to the Earth than the moon...or that LA was off the Atlantic coast. I used to think those things on Jay Leno were fake (Question: What divided Berlin? Answer: The Great Wall of China.) But now I think they're straight and I agree with Dean, scary.

I think it's the parents and the teachers. There were calculators around when I went back to college (I graduated high school in '70 but went back to college in 80 after I'd been in the Army and worked in a couple of plants and in construction.) The constructors wouldn't allow calculators to be used. You had to do calculations by hand.

I agree with you on the entitlement attitude. Did you see the news item about the professor who's been put on leave and may be fired because he gave a commencement speech where he said "you're not special, you have to earn what you get". The powers that be thought he might upset the poor dears.

message 40: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
Pam wrote: "Personally I blame technology for lowering the IQ of some of our youth of today and certainly more of the youth of tomorrow. Why learn to add and subtract when your phone or calculator is there. Why should they bother to try to remember history or science or grammar ... there is a program out there to do it for them. "

Couldn't agree with you more Pam. Kids today can't even remember phone numbers because they just pull out their cell phones. I have two 11 year old boys and I won't ever let them use calculators. I figure all that teaches them is how to punch buttons instead of understanding the math behind the calculations. Also, the kid's today can't write...everything in their world is abbreviated in the form of texting.

message 41: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments So y'all would agree with this statement?

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

--Socrates, 400BCE

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

You people do know you're citing anecdotal, not statistical, surveys, right? I work with homeless kids whose education is completely mucked up and all of them know Canada is a country.

message 42: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Right now the scariest place on earth is at my mother's house. She is having a cable box which comes with a DVR installed. She just called and wanted to know if after they install the cable box will she still be able to use her VCR? Yes, and you won't need to with a DVR, that will record your shows for you. Her reply was I'll never figure that out. New technology isn't her forte.

Yes Seeley and the same things preceded the collapse of every civilization...

message 44: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Seeley wrote: "So y'all would agree with this statement?

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Childr..."

I think I've heard that statement said by every generation about the younger generation, Seely.

One of my favorites has always been...kids today don't know good music....in my day....

"In my day" kids knew which ocean was which, how elections worked, and could read.

message 46: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Jun 13, 2012 10:57AM) (new)

I know most shake their heads at this as they can't conceive of our grids (power, water, information, communication) failing. But they can. An EMP in the right place could shut things down for years minimum.

I have a small plot of tomatoes, beans and onions. Most of the people I know below 40 have no idea how to go about raising anything. I found my daughter (30+) had no idea that green beans and other beans (pinto, navy etc.) were all just beans. She thought they were different plants.

Automobiles today can't be worked on without a computer. An EMP also wipes out their circuitry. Houses can't be heated without electrical power.Food is shipped for hundreds of miles, most cities have about a 3 day supply if something happens.

I know, alarmist. I hope so, I really do.

message 47: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Pam, regarding your post #59, well said. I don't think Hugh will mind, : ) I shouldn't speak for him. One more thing on that subject our kids never had a computer, TV in there rooms growing up and didn't get a cell phone till they could pay for it themselves.

Go for the Samsung Galaxy. That's what I think my son has and it's a cool phone.

message 48: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I know most shake their heads at this as they can't conceive of our grids (power, water, information, communication) failing. But they can. An EMP in the right place could shut things down for year..."

I've thought about that too. It's a scary thought. I know what it's like when the power goes out for just a few days. Just imagine what will happen on a large scale?

message 49: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Dean, I do believe cursive writing is a lost art.

message 50: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Tomorrow I think I'll be at the scariest place on earth...Me and 4,000 other people. I'll be a witness to Wallenda's walk across Niagara Falls. On the American side they have a spot sectioned off for 4,000 people and no more, to watch the event. Today I got lucky and scorced some tickets. The weather is suppose to be perfect, so...If nothing else it should be a fun evening. I hear on the Canadian side there's going to be around 150,000 people.

« previous 1 3