Madeleine L'Engle discussion

Hello, L'Engle Lovers!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 3 comments Hello, everyone! I hope you don't mind my starting a thread for folks to introduce themselves and tell the rest of the group how they started reading Madeleine L'Engle's works. Please take a couple of minutes to say a few words!

I remember reading Wrinkle in grade school, but things didn't click till a few years later, when a girl I sat next to my high school psychology class brought in "A Swiftly Tilting Planet," which had recently come out. I read that and enjoyed it, then had the privilege of hearing L'Engle speak at my college. After that, I went through all her children's books, and started on her adult works. I now own most of her works. I have found her to be one of the few authors from whom I get something new each time I re-read a book. She has also been a great influence on me spiritually.

I look to hearing your thoughts and feelings about one of my favorite writers!

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Corbin | 3 comments I too started, of course, with Wrinkle in middle school. Later, in my late twenties, I picked up a copy of Walking on Water. It was one of the happiest 'accidents' of my life. I was drawn in by the cover and the topic of art and faith, but I had no idea how life-changing it would be. Madeleine L'Engle helped me out of a deep post-baby slump (to put it mildly). My mind and my soul felt suddenly awake....and aware of how depressed I had actually been. Shortly after that.... (Probably thanks to reading L'Engle) I began my masters in Music Ed at MSU... i listened to an audiobook version of Wrinkle during my commute to grad school. I was mesmerized and went to the library to look for more... Two Part Invention, the rest of the Quintet (a wonderful Christmas gift from my inlaws!). ...the Crosswicks Journals...and every piece of fiction ('youth' or adult) I could find...And one of my very most treasured, A Circle of Quiet.
L'Engle has helped shape and challenge and affirm all my notions of creativity, of motherhood, of faith, of stories, family, work, disappointment, and hope. I havent finished reading all of her books yet, but I'm still ready to start re-reading the ones I'm lucky enough to own.
If I were stranded for the rest of my life with one author to read... :). I'd never despair.

message 3: by Fraser (new)

Fraser Coltman | 1 comments I began my reading relationship with Madeleine L'Engle with a little book of poetry I picked up for about a dollar at a Christian bookstore. The Risk of Birth caught my eye because of its cover reference to C.S. Lewis as being one of its contributors, but the poem really got my attention was L'Engle's , from which the book drew its title.

I began reading her fiction and non-fiction from our local library, really appreciating her honesty, compassion and faith. My favorites are the Time Quartet, The Crosswicks Journals, and Certain Women.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Corbin | 3 comments My seven and a half year old just picked up my treasured Wrinkle book and started reading the first 8 pages today.

My heart... It just might burst with joy. I think she knows how to show me love... Now I'm hoping she grows to love Madeleine and her stories and characters... And ALL great stories too!! Watching my children begin to love great books just might be even better than my own love of books!

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4 comments L'Engle is one of favorite authors. A Wrinkle in Time was the first book I ever bought with my own money. I was in 4th grade in a logging town in NW Washington in 1968. My teacher gave us Weekly Reader sheets, and for 60 cents I bought my first book. I loved that book. Two years later, when I moved to Fairfax, Virginia, I realized I could search for books by the same author in the much larger library. My second book by L'Engle was either The Other Side of the Sun or And Both Were Young.

I now own all of her works, many of them in first edition, because I treasure all genres of writing that Madeline L'Engle wrote.

message 6: by Madgratess (new)

Madgratess | 1 comments Wrinkle has been and will always be my favorite book, and L'engle one of my favorite authors. I have read Wrinkle countless times through the years, always finding something new, and I recently read It to my own daughter (Madelyn). It was so special to share in her enjoyment and awe! It brought me back to reading this with my own mother as a child, and my original attachment to this novel.

I am currently on a quest to own every edition of Wrinkle that I can find, but my dream is to find a signed first edition some day :)

message 7: by Teaqueen (new)

Teaqueen Hi! Is this group still active? MLE is one of my favorite writers. I have read all her fiction but none of her non-fiction. I became a fan when I read A Wrinkle in Time in grade school. I still have my scholastic edition.....the blue cover with the circles on it.