Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)
This topic is about A Princess of Mars
Monthly Read: Themed > June 2012 Themed Read - Classics: A Princess of Mars

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 422 comments Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars won our themed read for this month. This is awesome.

So, let's discuss.

Jenny (jennyc89) I have a few days before Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas comes out so I've downloaded it onto my Kindle to read until then.

message 3: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
lol Jenny-I pre-ordered Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas too, and am thinking it is gonna mess with my tbr in a big way.....

message 4: by Traci (new)

Traci Ha ha ha. I have Redshirts coming too.

I actually enjoy Burroughs. His science fiction is the pre spaceflight fantasy type. Fun.

Scott | 130 comments I actually just finished this last Friday. I really enjoyed it. It was much better than I thought it would be. I'm really interested to find out if the movie is anything like the book. It comes out on dvd tomorrow.

Banner | 138 comments I read this a few months ago in anticipation of the movie. I really enjoyed it. I was amazed at how well it has stood the test of time. Sure it was a little dated in someplaces but overall I thought it had a universal appeal.

message 7: by Laz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laz the Sailor (laz7) I loved these books, especially the first 4 books (Princess, Gods, Warlord, and Thuvia).

From my informal sampling, if you read and liked Princess before you saw the movie, you liked the movie as well. There are a couple of annoying plot changes, some that make sense, and others are silly/stupid. And Dejah was as beautiful as intended. Unfortunately, they probably won't make any sequels.

Anyone remember how Heinlein paid respect to ERB and Barsoom? Yes, this is a sci-fi snob question.

message 8: by Katy (last edited Jun 17, 2012 03:15PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) Laz wrote: "I loved these books, especially the first 4 books (Princess, Gods, Warlord, and Thuvia).

Anyone remember how Heinlein paid respect to ERB and Barsoom?..."

Are you referring to The Number of the Beast or Glory Road? Or perhaps both?

message 9: by Laz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laz the Sailor (laz7) I was thinking of the Number of the Beast. It added a lot of resonance for me when I learned who Deety's namesake was. I hadn't noticed the reference in Glory Road, and was unaware of it until I checked Wiki.

Jenny (jennyc89) I finished this last week. I enjoyed it but missed the humor that was portrayed in the movie. Although a significant amount was changed in the movie, I was still surprised by how much was the same. I think I'll probably continue the series but not anytime soon. I'm glad I read it.

Craig I agree with Jenny. The book takes itself more seriously than the movie did, but it was an enjoyable read. I was especially impressed by ERB's use of first person throughout the book, using eavesdropping to relay information from time to time.

There was not a lot of character development here, except John Carter. What does everyone think of him?

message 12: by mark, personal space invader (new) - rated it 3 stars

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
pretty late to this, but just wanted to say that i started it over the weekend and my gosh, it is really enjoyable.

message 13: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Jensen | 116 comments Edgar Rice Burroughs ruined my brain. I spent a lot of time alone with his books as a child, and seriously expected people to act like his characters when I hit puberty. I kept perpetrating acts of strength and courage and expecting women to fall all over me. They didn't.

message 14: by C. John (new) - added it

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 372 comments Burroughs probably proved his point with this first novel of his, namely that he could write better material then what was being published in the pulp fiction magazines he was reading for I believe an advertising job. I recall that these books were referred to as science romance at one time (romance here meaning something other than what is produced by Harlequin and other such publishers). I read this years ago while in school after reading the second book in the series. Enjoyed it then and will probably read it again in the near future.

message 15: by mark, personal space invader (new) - rated it 3 stars

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
do you mean Planetary Romance?

message 16: by C. John (new) - added it

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 372 comments No the term that was used was "scientific romance". In fact Sam Moskowitz devoted one of his books to the scientific romances of the Munsey pulps (Under the Moons of Mars).