The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

What are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 230 (230 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Stephen Hegedus | 205 comments Mod
Whether it's a Gothic novel or not, post the novel or book you're reading here :) Also, feel free to comment on a book someone else is reading if you like.

message 2: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments All Men of Genius steampunk with references to Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde. Awesome so far!

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise Jane Eyre for another book group. One I've been meaning to read for ages but not sure if I would actually like. Enjoying it so far though.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Greer | 6 comments Oxford Book of Gothic Tales... for some time now and The Wide Sargasso Sea. It's not gothic, but it is a prequel of sorts to Jane Eyre.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica G (naruto4hokage) I am reading the Dust of 100 dogs. Is AWESOME so far.

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 9 comments Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn - excellent!

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink Maggie wrote: "Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn - excellent!"

I love Sharp Objects I have her second one on my to read list.

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 9 comments Valerie wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn - excellent!"

I love Sharp Objects I have her second one on my to read list."

There are some very strange people in this book!

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments I'm reading Kathryn Leigh Scott's new book about Dark Shadows, Return to Collinwood. I think that does kind of qualify as Gothic!

Dark Shadows Return to Collinwood by Kathryn Leigh Scott

message 10: by Lizz (new)

Lizz | 2 comments Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, Warhorse, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and Club Dead

message 11: by Dana (new)

Dana "dew" (danadew) | 10 comments I'm about to start Great Expectations.

Question: I haven't been able to find my paperback copy, so I downloaded the kindle version, but should I be worried that it's missing some content?

I did find one of my copies of Slaughterhouse Five... unfortunately it's a first edition, so I'm a little afraid to read it. Want to handle it with kid gloves. It smells great. I love the smell of old books. I bought it for $1 at some bookshop downtown. If only it wasn't missing the dust jacket --- despite my love for books, I might try selling it. I'm broke. smile.

message 12: by Stephen Hegedus (new)

Dana I think you should be ok with the kindle version. I, of course, prefer a paper copy but by no means will I force you to use one :)

message 13: by Amie (new)

Amie O'connor | 2 comments Just finished A Dark Dividing by Sarah Rayne. I really enjoyed it and want to read more of her novels. I'm debating on starting Great Expectations next, or reading something lighter first.

message 14: by Destinyclaire (new)

Destinyclaire Coleman | 11 comments [book:Paranormalcy| im excited about this book im reading two others

message 15: by Evangeline (new)

Evangeline Ravencraft (evangelineravencraft) | 6 comments Louise wrote: "Jane Eyre for another book group. One I've been meaning to read for ages but not sure if I would actually like. Enjoying it so far though."

Is absolutely one of my favorites!

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim I got the e-book versions of Harry Potter for mother's day so I am starting at the beginning again. I haven't re-read entire series since the last book so I am really enjoying myself...perfect for summer

message 17: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 4 comments I decided to read a few new books. Atm I'm reading the first book in the Vampire Diaries Series. Also, I'm reading a non-fiction book on vampire mythology etc, called Beyond Twilight. And I'm about to start reading the 3rd book in the 'A Song of Ice and Fire" Series, "A Storm of Swords"

I'm a busy busy bee...

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (booknerdwithoutglasses) Guilty Pleasures by Laurell Hamilton and Great Expectations

message 19: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 11 comments Lisa wrote: "Oxford Book of Gothic Tales... for some time now and The Wide Sargasso Sea. It's not gothic, but it is a prequel of sorts to Jane Eyre."

I loved Wide Sargasso Sea, I think more than Jane Eyre even. What do you think of it?

message 20: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 11 comments Paulina wrote: "All Men of Genius steampunk with references to Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde. Awesome so far!"

This book sounds really good, I'm putting it in my to-read list!

message 21: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 11 comments Maggie wrote: "Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn - excellent!"

This sounds really good, just added to my to-read list!

message 22: by Jeri (last edited Jun 06, 2012 10:24AM) (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 11 comments I'm currently reading Divergent for another group, Great Expectations, and To Catch a Predator, among some others, lol! Liking them all very much so far.

message 23: by Stephen Hegedus (new)

I've heard Divergent is excellent. What is your opinion so far Jeri?

message 24: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink I am reading House of Leaves, two YA books (I am a teacher so I like to read those as well...who am I kidding, I love them anyway!), The Scorch Trialsand Tempeston my Kindle and the second in the George RR Martin series. I am also busy. I am about to re-read Great Expectations on the kindle for this group. I wrote a 10 page paper on that one in high school (my choice) and I loved it.

message 25: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 11 comments Stephen wrote: "I've heard Divergent is excellent. What is your opinion so far Jeri?"

Stephen, I really like it so far, about 75% done, and I will definitely be downloading the sequel (Insurgent) the moment I finish! Very interesting protagonist and world. Also I like it because it's set in a future Chicago, which is neat for me because I lived there for about 10 years.

message 26: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (thephantomphilosopher) Stephen wrote: "Dana I think you should be ok with the kindle version. I, of course, prefer a paper copy but by no means will I force you to use one :)"

I think this would make for an interesting discussion Stephen. Print vs. Digital. I happen to agree with you. There is something about feeling and turning the pages of a book that I just love. Also, annotating. So much annotating. You can't really do that with a digital copy.

I'm currently chipping away at A Game of Thrones, The Origin of Species, Revised Edition, and The Communist Manifesto. The latter two are assigned reading for a summer course I'm afraid. Of course, I'm also starting Great Expectations.

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie  (gpangel) Thunder Heights by Phyllis A. Whitney and The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

message 28: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments I'm reading the play The Children's Hour by Lillian Hellman. I have always loved the old movie with Audrey Hepburn and Shirley Maclaine, so I am doing this for a theme month on another group (The Dusty Bookshelf - the June theme is page-to-screen, to read a book and watch the movie based on it). The little girl in this story reminds me a bit of The Bad Seed, although this girl doesn't murder anybody; she just ruins their lives.
The Children's Hour by Lillian Hellman

message 29: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments Vicky wrote: "Stephen wrote: "Dana I think you should be ok with the kindle version. I, of course, prefer a paper copy but by no means will I force you to use one :)"

I think this would make for an interesting ..."

I'm with you guys. Not only do I like the feel and smell of a book (especially the old ones), but I think ereaders take the community aspect out of reading. You can't share your books as easily as you can with physical copies. I like to pass on the good ones to friends and family and you can't do that with a digital copy. There's a comfort in reading an actual book. And it's less straining on the eyes. :)

Also, I LOVE that you're reading The Origin of Species. Evolutionary Biology and English were my majors in university so, of course, I love Darwin. It was a necessary pre-requisite for the major.

message 30: by Cassandra (last edited Jun 14, 2012 08:01PM) (new)

Cassandra Piazza | 23 comments I agree as much as people try to convince me of the convenience of e-readers I would rather lug around my book on the bus any day!

Not to sound like a luddite (or like I have a fettish) but I like turning the page of a book, the weight of the book in my hand, and especially the smell.

Paulina your right. E-readers can take their toll on the "community aspect of books." I had just finished "The Shadow of the Wind" when I ran into a friend on the subway. He was interested in the book so I handed it to him on the spot. You can't do that with a digital copy. I think if you love books, digital or print, you are NEVER without something to read on a dark stormy night.

Dana, *high five* on your find! I love shopping for old/used books downtown! That smell is intoxicating!

And to be on topic, I am finishing up Storm Thief by Chris Wooding and Persuasion by Jane Austen.

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie  (gpangel) But you can lend books on kindle and nook. If your friend had an e reader you could have done the exact same thing. He would just have to return it after he read it.

message 32: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Piazza | 23 comments But the problem is that you need the e-reader. It is a little bit of a barrier when lending books.

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie  (gpangel) Hopefully that won't be a problem much longer. I can't stress enough the encouragement e readers give to read more. Kids, teens and adults have all claimed to read more once they had an e reader. I know I do!

message 34: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (linkeepsitreal) The lending aspect of books are problematic, but I think that people reading is always a good thing, no matter what form the stories come in.

message 35: by Alyne (new)

Alyne Winter | 30 comments Re-reading The Historian and enjoying it more. It does get slow but that's OK. Stories don't have to be horse races. Its fun to hang around in a fictional world, don't you think?

message 36: by Alyne (new)

Alyne Winter | 30 comments Rida wrote: "I'm reading Anna Karenina with a partner from another group; I've been wondering, does Anna qualify as gothic? Not really, right?"

It does in the Anna part I think. Its dark and she's so tragic. The setting is baroque. To me that qualifies Anna as a bit Gothic. I think Russia is pretty Gothic in lots of ways.

message 37: by Alyne (new)

Alyne Winter | 30 comments Denise wrote: "I'm reading Kathryn Leigh Scott's new book about Dark Shadows, Return to Collinwood. I think that does kind of qualify as Gothic!

[bookcover:Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood]"

I read one of these - its on the shelf too far from me. I enjoyed it but the writing is uneven like it was written by 2 different people.The bad bits are pretty glaring, but I didn't expect much so it was fun!

message 38: by Alyne (new)

Alyne Winter | 30 comments I just got Mephisto Waltz by Fred Mustard today. I love the film with Alan Alda and Jacquelin Bissett. I loom forward to reading and may interrupt The Historian to read it! I do stuff like that in my old age. LOL!

message 39: by Louise (new)

Louise Not remotely gothic but just about to get started on The Crystal Cave because I'm an Arthurian geek too and this one has been sitting on my bookshelf for so many years I can't actually remember if I've read it yet or not.

Should be finished by the time I get back from holiday by which point (hopefully) the postman should have arrived with my much-delayed copy of Great Expectations.

message 40: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) just beginning to read The Night Strangers: A Novel by Chris Bohjalian

The Night Strangers A Novel by Chris Bohjalian

message 41: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments I just started reading A Game of Thrones. I expect this one will take me a while to get through - it's around 800 pages!
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

message 42: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments Louise wrote: "Not remotely gothic but just about to get started on The Crystal Cave because I'm an Arthurian geek too and this one has been sitting on my bookshelf for so many years I can't actually remember if ..."

That's a good one, too. I've read the first four in that series, although it was a long time ago.

message 43: by Louise (new)

Louise Yeah, just got started and am enjoying it quite a bit. Pretty certain I haven't read it before which is nice (I used to devour King Arthur books as a kid but never having bothered researching which ones were the 'best' I still seem to have missed out on most of the classics).

Enjoy Game of Thrones. I really liked it - limiting myself to reading one book from that series a year from now on though - don't fancy racing through it all now only to forget all the details during a five year wait for the next book or anything. I'm guessing you've been watching the TV show?

message 44: by Stephen Hegedus (new)

Louise, have you read The Idylls of the King. I've recently become a fan of Tennyson - I love his shorter poems like Break, Break, Break and The Eagle. I was wondering if you've read The Idylls of the King. It's about King Arthur too.

message 45: by Denise (last edited Jun 15, 2012 05:17PM) (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments Louise wrote: "Enjoy Game of Thrones. I really liked it - limiting myself to reading one book from that series a year from now on though - don't fancy racing through it all now only to forget all the details during a five year wait for the next book or anything. I'm guessing you've been watching the TV show? "

Thanks, Louise! Yes, I have been watching and loving the TV series. I'm only a few chapters in, but so far it appears that the series kept very close to the novel (except in the way that Dani meets Drogo, although it's not radically different; I'm surprised that Drogo had a mansion at all, let alone threw a party there). I have a box set of the first four novels, but I am not intending to read them all right away.

message 46: by Louise (new)

Louise Stephen wrote: "Louise, have you read The Idylls of the King. I've recently become a fan of Tennyson - I love his shorter poems like Break, Break, Break and The Eagle. I was wondering if you've read The Idylls of ..."

I haven't actually (see what I mean about missing out on the classics!). It's been on my to-read list for several years but because I don't often dip into poetry I've never got round to buying/borrowing a copy for myself. Don't really know why - I adore every Tennyson poem I have read. Will probably put it on my birthday wishlist.

Did Drogo have a mansion? I'd completely forgotten that bit. Wasn't the mansion Danny was staying at at the start Ilyrio's (or whatever he's called)?

message 47: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments Louise wrote: "Did Drogo have a mansion? I'd completely forgotten that bit. Wasn't the mansion Danny was staying at at the start Ilyrio's (or whatever he's called)?"

Yes, you're right about where she was staying. I think they called Drogo's place a 'manse', which I take to be a kind of mansion. It said that the leaders of the city had given it to him in order to stay on his good side. Dany and her brother went to a party there to meet him, whereas in the TV series, Drogo came on horseback to the place Dany was staying to see her. Of course, another difference is that many of the characters are younger in the novel than in the series (Robb and Jon are 14, for example), and also in the novel, Robb and Jon are quite different, whereas in the series, they are so much alike it took me a few episodes before I had them straight. But the plot seems about the same between the two.

message 48: by Louise (new)

Louise Ah yeah, now I remember! The first series does stick pretty closely to the book, it's only really once you get into the second book that they had to change things a bit more significantly to work for TV (I love both so I don't think that's a bad thing).

message 49: by Mary (new)

Mary Bokkon | 8 comments I'm reading Storm of Swords (George RR Martin)while at home in the evenings and listening to the audiobook of Villette (Charlotte Bronte) while at work during the day.

message 50: by Heather (new)

Heather I am reading A Feast for Crows(George R.R. Martin)right now.

« previous 1 3 4 5