The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Let's Talk About It > Let's Talk About...Vampire Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
I'm aware that most people (unless they're living under a rock, in a lake by Camelot or who just don't read *gasp*) know about the 'vampire craze' that has gripped the World of Literature and the shelves of bookstores worldwide. There's Twilight, there's Vampire Diaries and Vampire Academy and...well heaps more (you all get the picture). But what I want to know is YOUR opinion. Do you all think this is a good thing or a bad thing? Should authors be giving in to this new genre that is so in demand? Or should they be trying to get readers to focus on the world beyond Twilight.

Note: I'm not bashing Twilight or vampires (no stake here, peoples!). I just want all of your honest opinions. Do you guys like the change? Or do you not?

message 2: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments I do enjoy fantasy and paranormal, hence i have no objection to reading about Vampires and those with bloodthirsty thoughts but i have noticed that this has become certainly much more popular in recent years. Why? i am not sure but perhaps it is partly due to the sucsess of the Twilight series, although i do feel that some books are now tending to have a too similar theme so that they are not as origional as one might like.

message 3: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Zohal | 1418 comments Mod
Well, I am not a fan of vampire books. Especially if the main plot is like romance which is Twilight and maybe Vampire Academy. I read the first Vampire academy book but I didn't feel compelled to read the rest.

I would have to say my fave vamp series is
The chronicles of Vladimir todd

I am also currently reading
The immortal rules.

So I'm not really a vampire fan but some books are an exception for me

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue (youvebeensued) Vampire romance is quite the trend in literature these days. As of me, I neither hate nor a very big fan of such novels. I do like novels like Twilight, Vampire Diaries and Blue Bloods, but there's no such craving. Yeah, I think that the authors should try something new now. Yes, vampire romance is a very big hit, but its more like a cliche to me now. So, I think books regarding paranormal stuff, other than vampires, should also be given a chance.

message 5: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments I do agree with your points of view, Rimpy Xx

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue (youvebeensued) I'm grateful that you agree Lucinda. :) And I'm being very frank and casual. I mean most of the paranormal books that we choose to read are often surrounded by vampires. And maybe sometimes, others like demons and things. But at the end of the day, it comes to a stop at a vampire. And I'm like "Not again". I think other supernatural beings should also be chosen for the lead. Authors need to be very careful about the monotonous plots. What do you think?

message 7: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments I tend to rate authors work on their origionality and uniqueness, which is why my favourte books include those by JRR Tolkien, JK Rowling and Ken Follett...no one (well, i could imagine) could come close to re-creating something similar to Hogwarts or on such an epic scale as Lord of the Rings...i am just not a fan of literature that seems the 'same' (which one can find in chick-lit or romance novels quite a bit). x

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Davis (sophiedavis) | 16 comments I have to admit that I really liked the Vampire Academy Books, which besides Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire, were some of the first I read in this trend. I have read the Blue Bloods series, which I liked a lot at first b/c I thought the whole fallen angels, lost colony at Roanoke thing was really interesting, but later ones aren't as good as the first couple. But I agree with the rest of you, when I see "Vampire" either in the title or synopsis, I put it back on the shelf. I feel like there are not a lot of new ideas in the Vampire genre anymore and the similarities from one series to the next are too much.

Of course, all of that being said, I did just purchase Sweet Evil, which I believe is about vampires, but in my defense, the author is related to one of my close friends :-)

message 9: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2012 03:00PM) (new)

Zohal | 1418 comments Mod
In this case,there is a series called
Chronicles of Vladimir Todd.

It is a vampire series but it is different to other vampire novels in the sense that the plot is not romance, well the sub-plot is. But like romance in the novel doesn't like just take over as the main plot.

Also the plot and the characters are really interesting and well It is an epic vampire book which lives up to expectations and it is probably the only vampire series I like.

Eighth Grade Bites (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #1) by Heather Brewer

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments I tend to enjoy the *vampire genre* but I have to spread it out. A lot of them are quite similar, which can be a problem, but overall I enjoy it.

message 11: by Stan (last edited Jun 01, 2012 11:31PM) (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I almost never like vampire books. I didn't really care for the Anne Rice books. The Twilight series was great. I know the purists don't like the vampires and werewolves, but it seems to me that they missed the point, which is that all of these extraordinary, powerful creatures ended up revolving around a simple clumsy human girl who decided she was in love and choose to hold on to that love. That said, there are too many vampire books. However, I am looking forward to the Dark Shadows movie.

message 12: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Stan wrote: "I almost never like vampire books. I didn't really care for the Anne Rice books. The Twilight series was great. I know the purists don't like the vampires and werewolves, but it seems to me that..."

I agree that there are many, but there are many that are very well done. I enjoyed Dark Shadows. It was funny:) And I love Johnny Depp and Tim Burton!

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments I agree that right now in YA some certain paranormal creatures are being used. Angels, werewolves, and of course-vampires. And I'm not saying that I don't read those kind of books or haven't enjoyed them (I've read twilight, vampire diaries, vampire academy, shiver, nightshade, halo, hush hush,...) <-hah you get the picture! But now, if I am going to read a vampire book the plot has to sound really unique and interesting, by an author i like, or a GREAT recommendation! But I do have a few ones i absolutely am in love with.. VAMPIRE ACADEMY :D among others..:)

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Mancini (jennmancini) | 8 comments I tend to enjoy sexy vamps more than their horror counterparts. The men are all Alphas (no werewolf insult intended) and I just think that works for me. And even when I think I'm done with vamps, I always find a new take by an author that I like. As long as the authors are trying to keep it fresh, I'm most likely on board.

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Jenn wrote: "I tend to enjoy sexy vamps more than their horror counterparts. The men are all Alphas (no werewolf insult intended) and I just think that works for me. And even when I think I'm done with vamps, ..."

Yes! I pretty much agree with all of that!

message 16: by Shatha (new)

Shatha (idrinktoomuchtea) | 32 comments Did you know that the Vampire Diaries are kinda old actually and the show came out only when Twilight started the vampire craze?
Interesting...
So anyway, it is kinda annoying when they're all you read, but when you mix them up with other books they're bearable.
But still, people seem to love vampires now a bit too much... I mean, if vampires turned out to be real, 2/3 of teenage girls worldwide will be dead because they would all come at them with hugs and they'll get their blood sucked.
The remaining third will all die of laughter.
So really, the vampire craze is quite deadly.... ;P

message 17: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Shatha wrote: "Did you know that the Vampire Diaries are kinda old actually and the show came out only when Twilight started the vampire craze?
Interesting...
So anyway, it is kinda annoying when they're all you ..."

*Laughing* i am trying to conjure up an image in my head of your point of view, and yes it is quite deadly :)

message 18: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Shatha wrote: "Did you know that the Vampire Diaries are kinda old actually and the show came out only when Twilight started the vampire craze?
Interesting...

Haha yes! I agree:)

message 19: by £mily (new)

£mily (3mily991) | 33 comments I don't mind some vampire books, but generally the horror genre is what I read. A lot of YA vampire books seem to be on the shelves for one reason- to play of the success of Twilight. Now teenage girls can go into basically any book store and read about generic YA heroine #22 falling in love with brooding, hot YA vampire hero #48, and quite frankly, I'm tired of all that.

message 20: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments €mily☻♫♥ wrote: "I don't mind some vampire books, but generally the horror genre is what I read. A lot of YA vampire books seem to be on the shelves for one reason- to play of the success of Twilight. Now teenage ..."

What are some of your favorite horror books/authors?

message 21: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Shatha wrote: "Did you know that the Vampire Diaries are kinda old actually and the show came out only when Twilight started the vampire craze?
Interesting...

I think way more than 2/3!!

message 22: by Belinda (new)

Belinda I think there's room for all of them. You've got Twilight and Vampire Academy, which focus more on first love and then you have the likes of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series which focus on more adult themes. I personally am a massive fan of this series. Go Team Eric!

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Mancini (jennmancini) | 8 comments Belinda wrote: "I think there's room for all of them. You've got Twilight and Vampire Academy, which focus more on first love and then you have the likes of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series which focus o..."

I agree. And personally I'm a biiiiiggg fan of Eric myself. He's so bad he's good.

message 24: by E.E.S. (new)

E.E.S. (classicsvariety) | 48 comments I do not like vampires basically at all. Twilight was horrible. Vampires that aren't similar to Twilight are fine... usually.

message 25: by Ana (new)

Ana I read the Twilight series when they weren't known and back then I liked them because they seemed different from what I had read so far in that genre. I don't think this genre is necessarily bad but I believe it can be bit hard to find something that has that wow effect that compels me to buy it; when it comes to this type of books the story has to be really intriguing and unique for me to buy it.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Jenn wrote: "I tend to enjoy sexy vamps more than their horror counterparts. The men are all Alphas (no werewolf insult intended) and I just think that works for me. And even when I think I'm done with vamps, ..."

Exactly! Couldn't agree more!

message 27: by Emiri (new)

Emiri Tachibana (spiritflight) | 18 comments I enjoy any kind of paranormal book series as they seem...I don't know. They're my style of books. I've never read the Twilight's because they aren't my style. I tend to read anything but I've never tried to read them. Vampires have this hidden appeal, I think, that draws people into the books. Like they said in TMI, "Sexy Vampire Mojo".

Kristi~Lost in My Own Head~ (derek1) | 46 comments As a reader, I prefer the vampire books that are now on the shelves but I could do with less of the Twilight like vamp novels and more of the Vampire Academy like novels. No offense to twilight fans but that's what I prefer

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Kristi wrote: "As a reader, I prefer the vampire books that are now on the shelves but I could do with less of the Twilight like vamp novels and more of the Vampire Academy like novels. No offense to twilight fan..."

I agree! And I absolutely adore the Vampire Academy!

message 30: by AJ (new)

AJ Valdez (aiashineshin) | 47 comments Im picky when it comes to this kind of romance. The plot should be interesting and make me excited to read it. Im loving Vampire Kisses and Vampire Academy so far.
And now, after i read Bloodlines, im off to Drake Chronicles that i think is interesting

message 31: by Emiri (new)

Emiri Tachibana (spiritflight) | 18 comments I love vampires and supernatural books, they're my favourite, but seriously? There shouldn't be that many. It means other people will have nothing to read because all there is are vampire books.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I never really liked vampire books; especially not the new ones where vampires are not in fact bloodthirsty nightcrawlers but actually hot teenage models. Some vampire books are good, but there are so many of them they are kind of getting boring.

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I never really liked vampire books; especially not the new ones where vampires are not in fact bloodthirsty nightcrawlers but actually hot teenage models. Some vampire books are good, but there are..."

Hmm well I definitely agree that they can get soo repetitive!!

message 34: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Anna wrote: "βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I never really liked vampire books; especially not the new ones where vampires are not in fact bloodthirsty nightcrawlers but actually hot teenage models. Some vamp..."

That's for sure!

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Olivia wrote: "Anna wrote: "βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I never really liked vampire books; especially not the new ones where vampires are not in fact bloodthirsty nightcrawlers but actually hot teenage mode..."

Lol it's ridiculous!

message 36: by AJ (new)

AJ Valdez (aiashineshin) | 47 comments I liked Vampire Books since i've read Vampire Kisses. This kind of paranormal is popular this days but sometimes because its too popular, there is too much of Vampire Books and its suffocating (for me) that is why i became picky in Vampire-themed novels. I've also read adult books like The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R Ward which is also an Vampire-themed novel but it entertained me.

message 37: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Aiashine wrote: "I liked Vampire Books since i've read Vampire Kisses. This kind of paranormal is popular this days but sometimes because its too popular, there is too much of Vampire Books and its suffocating (for..."

I have to agree - I'm totally picky as well. It has to be a truly well-written and unique vampire novel for me to get into it, otherwise I'm suddenly clairvoyant!! I know how it'll turn out, most likely with a love triangle to boot. :D

message 38: by Woolfie (last edited Nov 27, 2012 07:57PM) (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 35 comments Lucinda wrote: "I tend to rate authors work on their origionality and uniqueness, which is why my favourte books include those by JRR Tolkien, JK Rowling and Ken Follett...no one (well, i could imagine) could come..."

Like you I tend to want to read stuff that is somehow able to be innovative, sometimes within the conventions of genre fiction. I do like books about the supernatural and fantasy in general because they stimulate my imagination and interest, which are essential for me to enjoy a book.
My only problem with the 'vampire craze sweeping the written world at the moment is that it inevitably churns out a lot of substandard, tired and trie stuff that doesn't even try to tell an interesting story, so much so that I think vampire fiction has lost its identity; no longer is it about beautifully conflicted immortals, now it seems more important to go to school to learn how to be a vampire, or how to mope endlessly over the agonies of finding a girlfriend/boyfriend, very real concerns for teens and single people which is largely why they sell so well, and not because they are wonderful works in and of themselves.

message 39: by Anna (last edited Nov 27, 2012 05:23PM) (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Booknut wrote: "Aiashine wrote: "I liked Vampire Books since i've read Vampire Kisses. This kind of paranormal is popular this days but sometimes because its too popular, there is too much of Vampire Books and its..."

Hahaha there's almost always a love angle now!! (;

message 40: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (madeleinemoonrise) | 81 comments My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I also really like The Morganville Vampires,and the first 4 House of Night novels. I really did not like Vladimir Todd, Vampire Kisses,and all of the Vampire Diaries books after the 3rd.

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Madeleine wrote: "My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I also really like The Morganville Vampires,and the first 4 House of Night novels. I really did not like Vladimir Todd, Vampire Kisses,and all of ..."

I ADORE Vampire Academy!! Are you an Adrian or Dimitri girl?? And have you read the spin-off series bloodlines? And I totally agree that the Vampire Diaries and House of Night aren't that good anymore. The first couple books were good but the recent ones I didn't like at all!

message 42: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (madeleinemoonrise) | 81 comments Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I also really like The Morganville Vampires,and the first 4 House of Night novels. I really did not like Vladimir Todd, Vampire ..."

DIMITRI GIRL! totally. I really liked Adrian's charm and humor in the begining but as his character progressed I lost my love for him. I did not read Bloodlines. I don't really like Sydney or Jill. Is it good? I love Richelle Mead so much but I'm afraid the spinoff would ruin it for me.

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I also really like The Morganville Vampires,and the first 4 House of Night novels. I really did not like Vladimir T..."

It's AMAZING!!!!! Maybe not as good as Vampire Academy, but still super great! You get to know and love Sydney a lot better! AND it made me switch from a Dimitri girl to an Adrian girl *gasp*

message 44: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (madeleinemoonrise) | 81 comments Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I also really like The Morganville Vampires,and the first 4 House of Night novels. I really did n..."

Wow!! As much as dimitri?! That's scandalous lol. I think I'll pick up the first one sometime!

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I also really like The Morganville Vampires,and the first 4 House of Night novels. I..."

I know it's crazy!! But Adrian really grows on you! And you definitely should- you won't regret it!!!

message 46: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (madeleinemoonrise) | 81 comments Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I also really like The Morganville Vampires,and the first 4 House o..."

I'll have to pick up a copy. It sounds good. What about Jill? Is she bearable?

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I also really like The Morganville Vampires,and the fi..."

It's amazing!! And Jill is.. well still Jill, but a little better I think. And then you also have Eddie and he's awesome!

message 48: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (madeleinemoonrise) | 81 comments Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I also really like The Morganville V..."

Awe! I love Eddie! So it isn't like "Jill central"?lol

message 49: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I also really like The ..."

Welllllll.... she's a main part of it definitely. But the book's from Syd's point of view so you get more Sydney than Jill I think!

message 50: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (madeleinemoonrise) | 81 comments Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "Anna wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy but I als..."

That's interesting

« previous 1