Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > What paranormal creatures would you like to see more of?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana Hart (ana_hart) | 12 comments I'm really just asking out of curiosity... and maybe out of research for my next book, too.

Are there any paranormal creatures you're just really DYING to see in a book? Are your favorite supernatural beings a bit under-represented in the genre?

For me, I'd love to see less vampires and more dragons and selkies (though, don't get me wrong, I do love a good vampire story, too).

message 2: by Cmkage (new)

Cmkage | 231 comments Vampires, werewolves and shifters are still my favorites, I don't think I will ever tier of them, but every once in a while I like coming across something a bit rarer. Doesn't really matter what though, but it's always nice to see an original idea.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I love shifters. My favorite series are shifter books. Vampire books are good for variety, but give me a wolf that shifts into a sexy man any day of the week!

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments I like gargoyles, selkies, werewolves or were-cat like. I like vampires but not as much as I used to.

message 5: by Ty (new)

Ty I stop for angels. Thankfully, there's a glut of that going on right now. It's just hard combing the masses to find that one good one.

Vamps are my safety net! Gods/goddesses are a newer thing for me. Loved the Percy Jackson series! Jenna Black's Nikki Glass series has potential.

message 6: by Ana (new)

Ana Hart (ana_hart) | 12 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I like gargoyles, selkies, werewolves or were-cat like. I like vampires but not as much as I used to."

Gargoyles! I hadn't thought of that.

I do love me some shifters, too. I was thinking of maybe doing some stories with bobcat shifters. Or equine shifters. Something a little not so mainstream.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Bunny shifters! (My nod to Shelly Laurenston and her comedic genius)

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments I recently saw some about gargoyles and while I haven't read them yet they really piqued my interest just because it was something new. I think anything new and different would be fun.
I really love books about mythology too, I don't think we quite see enough of those either.

message 9: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments My favorites are still the cat and bear shifters, but I wouldn't mind seeing some different creatures. Years ago I read a lot of Thomas Burnett Swann who had a lot of characters based on Greek mythology. I loved his minotaur in Day Of The Minotaur; and if I remember correctly (it's been years) there were books featuring fauns, centaurs, and dryads as well. I've never seen anything else like them.

message 10: by Joseph (last edited Jun 02, 2012 06:19AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments I'd like to see more elementals, nature spirits such as gnomes, undines, sylphs, and salamanders. I remember reading a story once where an elemental had to do good deeds or fall in love with a mortal in order to get a soul, otherwise after 100 years gnomes turned into dust, undines into foam, sylphs into mist, and salamanders into ash, no "heavenly" afterlife. I think that would make a fine PNR, for example, a witch or wizard who summons an elemental to help him or her in their work and in doing good deeds together they fall in love. Hmm, maybe I ought to write it. :-) lol

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Tabitha--there is a bunny shifter in One Bite Stand by Nina Bangs. He appears VERY briefly in this one and in another book in this same series (sorry, POUNDING headache) but thought I'd throw it out there. (Oh, and the bunny is 6' or so tall when shifted.)

message 12: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I like gargoyles, selkies, werewolves or were-cat like. I like vampires but not as much as I used to."

Gargoyles would be nice to see more of

message 13: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Ana wrote: "Carolyn F. wrote: "I like gargoyles, selkies, werewolves or were-cat like. I like vampires but not as much as I used to."

Gargoyles! I hadn't thought of that.

I do love me some shifters, too. I ..."

I was thining about the same. No bunnies (Sorry), but maybe some of the lesser known cats or cats that change size, or something that can change into any canine or feline etc (sort of like Sam in the Sookie books)

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'd like to read more with Gargoyles, I read a story once with gargoyles and really enjoyed it. I'd like to see more with some of the other mythicals like elves, nymphs, dryads, satrys the ones that are usually secondary characters in the fae books.

message 15: by Lisa Anne (new)

Lisa Anne (lisamessegee) | 120 comments I still like shifters best--wolf shifters, because of the packs. It's a unit that makes for built-in stories. But I also like feline shifters, because of their lithe grace. I'd like to see more fae, and I'm reading some of the new angel series.

message 16: by Joseph (last edited Jun 03, 2012 11:18AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments I noticed several people mentioning they'd like to read more about gargoyles. If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out C.E. Murphy's Heart Of Stone, House of Cards, and Hands Of Flame. It's a trilogy that stars gargolyes and also features dragons, selkies, genies, and vampires.

message 17: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments Sandra J wrote: "My favorites are still the cat and bear shifters, but I wouldn't mind seeing some different creatures. Years ago I read a lot of Thomas Burnett Swann who had a lot of characters based on Greek my..."

I love minotaur stories too, I've read a couple that were really good.

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments Joseph wrote: "I noticed several people mentioning they'd like to read more about gargoyles. If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out C.E. Murphy's Heart Of Stone, House of Cards, and Hands Of Flame. It..."

I have those Joseph. I'll move them up by TBR stack.

message 19: by A.O. (new)

A.O. Peart (aopeart) | 13 comments I will echo most of the people commenting before me when I say the shifters. Vamps are okay but there are just too many vampire books out there, and I've read a lot of them already :-)

Wolf shifters are still my most favorite plus the gods and goddesses (I am such a mythology nut).

message 20: by Siggy (new)

Siggy (madameloulew) | 9 comments wolf shifters are by far my favorite.

However, i would like to see more of gargoyles. Coyote and cat shifters (i do NOT mean the kind that turn into house cats) i would like to more often.

message 21: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Warneke (forsakened) | 45 comments I love supernatural creatures in general but I think I would like to see more of the fairies as they really are - their darkness and amorality - like Karen Marie Moning's fairies, except she did them so well and an author has a lot to live up to, even with their own take on fairies.

I've done gargoyles, wolves and sirens, vampires with a twist and another that I can't say without spoiling her reveal and it is always exciting seeing what else is out there and how different authors put their own unique spin on paranormal creatures.

message 22: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Griffin (kyliegriffin) Carolyn F. wrote: "I like gargoyles, selkies, werewolves or were-cat like. I like vampires but not as much as I used to."

If you're looking for some gargoyles, shapeshifters or werewolves, try Mel Teshco - an Aussie author who writes for Ellora's Cave (www.melteshco.com). She has a gargoyle Winged & Dangerous series and were & cat shapeshifter stories (IDENTITY SHIFT & MOON THRALL).

message 23: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Griffin (kyliegriffin) A.C. wrote: "I love supernatural creatures in general but I think I would like to see more of the fairies as they really are - their darkness and amorality - like Karen Marie Moning's fairies, except she did th..."

Hey, you might like Erica Hayes, she writes about fairies, inccubi & succubi etc. in her para.romance Shadowfae series.

It begins each blurb for her books with "Imagine a secret world veiled in fairy glamour and brimming with unearthly delights. A city swarming with half-mad fairies, where thieving spriggans rob you blind, beautiful banshees mesmerise you with their song and big green trolls bust heads at nightclubs. And once you're in, there's no escape..."

Link - http://www.shadowfae.net/chronicles.html

message 24: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Griffin (kyliegriffin) Melissa wrote: "I'd like to read more with Gargoyles, I read a story once with gargoyles and really enjoyed it. I'd like to see more with some of the other mythicals like elves, nymphs, dryads, satrys the ones th..."

I mentioned Erica Hayes and her Shadowfae series in another post but her heroines and heroes are a fairy & a waterfae, an incubus & succubus, a banshee & snake-shifter, another fairy & a glassfairy.

Erica Hayes website - http://www.shadowfae.net/chronicles.html

message 25: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 7 comments I love my shifters. However I'd like to see more myth based stories as well as well done fae series. I like lots of the idea above. I enjoy different ideas

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments I'm always down for more fae, and not just the typical ones. I like how Thea Harrison has different kinds of beings. I am kind of sick of vampires, to be honest. Weres done well never gets old for me.

message 27: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Warneke (forsakened) | 45 comments Kylie wrote:Hey, you might like Erica Hayes, she writes about fairies, inccubi & succubi etc. in her para.romance Shadowfae series.

It begins each blurb for her books with "Imagine a secret world veiled in fairy glamour and brimming with unearthly delights. A city swarming with half-mad fairies, where thieving spriggans rob you blind, beautiful banshees mesmerise you with their song and big green trolls bust heads at nightclubs. And once you're in, there's no escape..."

Link - http://www.shadowfae.net/chronicles.html "

Thanks - I'll check it out when I get a chance!

message 28: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Joseph wrote: "I noticed several people mentioning they'd like to read more about gargoyles. If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out C.E. Murphy's Heart Of Stone, House of Cards, and Hands Of Flame. It..."

Yeah, I read that one. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into it, but thanks for the suggestion! :)

message 29: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 127 comments More on Gargoyles...Marjorie M. Liu has some gargoyles in her Dirke & Steel series...I think the book where one is the hero is The Wild Road. The Wild Road (Dirk & Steele, #8) by Marjorie M. Liu

message 30: by Ladymcbeth (new)

Ladymcbeth | 53 comments Shifters ... hot guys shifters ... :)

message 31: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 195 comments This year is the Year of the Dragon. Got to be Dragon shifters.

message 32: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
As I mentioned is a previous post, Nina Bangs has an interesting assortment of shifters. Including a cat shifter who transforms into a sabre-toothed tiger (female). However, if you don't like humour with your story, you probably won't like Nina. If you DO like the humour, she's a good author with an amazing array of characters.

message 33: by Jodi (new)

Jodi McIsaac (jodimcisaac) Celtic gods! Okay, maybe I'm biased because my own book is about them. But I love Kevin Hearne's UF series about a Celtic druid and would love to see more books based on mythology.

message 34: by Joseph (last edited Jun 13, 2012 05:34AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments Jodi wrote: "Celtic gods! Okay, maybe I'm biased because my own book is about them. But I love Kevin Hearne's UF series about a Celtic druid and would love to see more books based on mythology."

Check out C.E. Murphy's The Walker Paper series. It's about a police officer Joanne Walker who is part American Indian and part Celtic and has powers and interactions with mythology from both. The series did start out focusing mostly on her American Indian side, but has recently taken a turn toward focusing more now on her Celtic side, it is worth the read and the wait. The series starts with Urban Shaman

message 35: by Alexia (new)

Alexia (matleser60) | 2 comments Dragon shifters definitely. And demons!! Lots more demons! Nothing sexier than a hot hunky demon guy. I love shifters but would like to see more feline shifters.

message 36: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 127 comments Okay, I'm adding my vote for dragon shifters...and maybe jaguars...yum!

message 37: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 195 comments Mina wrote: "Okay, I'm adding my vote for dragon shifters...and maybe jaguars...yum!"

If you have not read the Playing with Fire (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #1) by Gena Showalter Twice as Hot (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl #2) by Gena Showalter . I think Rome was a jaguar shifter (or may be a panther). Oh well. Either one. He was hot.

message 38: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments Thea Harrison's novella, Devil's Gate, features a heroine who is a medusa. I never thought I'd find head snakes amusing or cute.

message 39: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments I like unusual shifters a great deal. So, less common animals or mythical animals that makes aspects of those animals inform the culture. I also prefer a paranormal world that is know to all. It is the the way the world his.

Cold Moon Rising (A Tale of the Sazi, #7) by C.T. Adams Has unusual shifters.

I like female warriors of whatever paranormal caste.

message 40: by Alondra (new)

Alondra | 6 comments Definitely more Shapeshifters and Werewolves. Don't get me wrong I like me some vampires from time to time, but with shapeshifters/weres there always seems to be more romance. Plus it's sligthly more realistic world-wise.

message 41: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 4 comments I would love to see more sirens and enchanters/enchantresses. (:

message 42: by Steelwhisper (new)

Steelwhisper | 140 comments I'd actually love to see more of less--in one book.

I'm so dead tired of whole zoos of paranormal creatures in one single world. Maybe because I grew up with books and movies which kept them nicely apart and concentrated on one species rather than think more/bigger is better.

message 43: by S.L.J. (new)

S.L.J. (sammyslj) | 103 comments Pheonix - I'd like to see more of them. :)

message 44: by Erica (new)

Erica (ssserica) | 15 comments I would like to see mermaid and sea creatures done well. Also mythology try Egyptian for a change. I still have a few to explore in other areas I'm interested in but I rarely see the above others I plan to read more of soon are (fae, fairies, incubus ) I'm getting tired of the overflow of angels, vamps and wolves.

message 45: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Gargoyles. I love Bis in the Rachel Morgan series, he's so funny & lovable.

message 46: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments Sea shifters.

message 47: by Anne (new)

Anne | 8 comments Missyb wrote: "Gargoyles. I love Bis in the Rachel Morgan series, he's so funny & lovable."

I agree - Bis is a great character. And I loved the gargoyles in the Demon Realm - we don't see them but here this random scratching and banging.

message 48: by Ayalla (new)

Ayalla | 10 comments I like to see more witches.
More a well build magic world, like in the cassandra palmer series. Vampires, witches, ghosts, everything made sense together.
But most books I read there are vampires with magic abilities or humans with special abilities but no real witches.
Maybe I just read the wrong books.

I personally really don't like shifters, no kind of them.

message 49: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments If you don't mind a much older series that is definitely fantasy with romantic elements, you might like Witch World (Witch World Series 1 Estcarp Cycle, #1) by Andre Norton . The series is long, and the world is well built and complex. The first four or five books are pretty closely linked though they could be read as standalones.

message 50: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 293 comments I'd like more dragons, witches, and fairies. Shifters are okay too, but I'm tired of wolves. I'm also tired of vampires for the moment, but they're still a classic.

« previous 1