English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Where the Shadows Lie (Fire & Ice, #1)
This topic is about Where the Shadows Lie
Group read-alongs > "Where the Shadows Lie", book of the Month for June 2012

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4308 comments Mod
Where the Shadows Lie by Michael Ridpath is the book for the month of June 2012.

Susan (susanthomas) Is this the author's first book? Looking forward to reading somebody new(to me).

Marie (marieelia) | 19 comments Looks like it's the first in a series. Just requested it from the library!

message 4: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 06, 2012 05:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

This isn't Michael's first book, he's written about the financial world. But this is the first in this series about Iceland.

Iceland series:
1 Where the Shadows Lie
2 66 North
3 Meltwater
4 Far North (In the U.S. August 2012)

message 5: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 01, 2012 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

He also has a short for anyone with e-readers. Edge of Nowhere Magnus Jonson is in it.

Stephanie (tomegnome) | 32 comments Just picked Where the Shadows Lie up from the library. Looks good!

message 7: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 07, 2012 10:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's always nice to have something familiar, with the ring. Nice touch with Ingileif and Magnus in the end. In 66 North we still find the sagas going strong.

Marie (marieelia) | 19 comments I'm only on page 120. I've never read LoTR, and I feel asleep during the movies, so some of it is confusing, but it's pretty fun so far.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Ridpath Hi, I'm the author, and I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has. I hope my being in the group doesn't cramp any of the discussion - I completely understand that my books are not for everyone.

By the way, I have had three novels in this series published in the UK;
1. Where the Shadows Lie
2. 66 degrees North (Far North in US)
3. Meltwater.

Unfortunately the US is on a later publishing cycle. Where the Shadows Lie has been published, and Far North (= 66 North) will be published in hard cover in August 2012.

message 10: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael have you had any interest from the movies?

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Ridpath Kenneth wrote: "Michael have you had any interest from the movies?"

Only very tentative at this stage, and that is TV. Iceland would make a beautiful backdrop.

Florence Wetzel (florencewetzel) | 111 comments Just picked this up at the public library; looking forward to reading!

Marie (marieelia) | 19 comments I judge a book by whether I start slowing down toward the end because I don't want it to end. I'm at page 255, the action is picking up, and I just closed the book so I'll have something to look forward to later, despite having half a cup of coffee to finish here.

message 14: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili | 64 comments Just downloaded this book to my Kindle looking forward to reading it this evening.

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 236 comments Michael wrote: "Hi, I'm the author, and I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has. I hope my being in the group doesn't cramp any of the discussion - I completely understand that my books are not for everyone...."

Just started the group read "Where the Shadows Lie" and am so glad to have your author imput. I am so crazy about Iceland my friends now call me Yrsa.

message 16: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 10, 2012 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Not bad, TV. Do you get to dable with it at all? Will it be shot in Iceland? Like to see are authors get ahead.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Ridpath Kenneth wrote: "Not bad, TV. Do you get to dable with it at all? Will it be shot in Iceland? Like to see are authors get ahead."

Only at the really early stages yet. They are a British company and said they would only consider going ahead if they changed one letter: the "s" in Boston. That makes Magnus come from Bolton near Manchester.

Well! You can imagine the affront to my artistic integrity! And how much fun it would be if they actually made a TV series, even if Magnus has a Lancashire accent. So I said "yes". I hold my head in shame.

But, as I say it is really early days yet and the odds must still be against it.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Ridpath Hi Elizabeth,

I know Yrsa. She is seriously cool. She manages to be a serious civil engineer and write brilliant books. And she is very funny. She writes posts on a blog called Murder is Everywhere
http://murderiseverywhere.blogspot.co...
So Yrsa is a good name.

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 236 comments Thanks for the Yrsa info. It is wonderful to hear that she is funny besides being a brilliant writer. There is an Icelandic picnic near my home in July and all peoples interested in Iceland are invited. In the Seattle area there is quite a population of people of Icelandic heritage.
I hope to get to Iceland within the next year.

Susan (susanthomas) Michael wrote: "Hi, I'm the author, and I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has. I hope my being in the group doesn't cramp any of the discussion - I completely understand that my books are not for everyone...."

I just want to tell you how thoroughly I'm enjoying your book, and I'm really happy you're here with us on GoodReads. I can't wait to read more of your work in the future. Magnus feels like a solid character to me, somebody I could buy into for the long run. Nicely done!

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael Ridpath Elizabeth wrote: "Thanks for the Yrsa info. It is wonderful to hear that she is funny besides being a brilliant writer. There is an Icelandic picnic near my home in July and all peoples interested in Iceland are inv..."

Do - it's fascinating. Just don't expect good weather.

Florence Wetzel (florencewetzel) | 111 comments I enjoyed this book so much! I love books that interweave real life stories (and real life books!). I also felt like I learned a lot about Iceland in a really natural way; it's always interesting when the books contain a character from another country, like in James Thompson's books on Finland. Bravo to Michael! Can't wait to read the next installments; Magnus is a character with real staying power.

Susan (susanthomas) Just finished! It held my interest without flagging until the end. Good stuff!!!

message 24: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva | 41 comments Yesterday I got it from GB. Hope I'll have time to read it till the end of June.

message 25: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili | 64 comments Finished Where the Shadows Lie and enjoyed reading it immensley so I've already downloaded Michael's 66 Degrees North to Kindle.

message 26: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim King | 4 comments I started the novel this morning and finished this afternoon. Good book--I really enjoyed the saga connection as well the the snapshots of Iceland and her history. Lilli, I'm jealous. I can't get his next one until August.

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 236 comments I too finished "Where the Shadows Lie." Loved loved the book and wish I was not through. Now I want to go back to "The Lord of the Rings" and all.

Magnus is a great character.

message 28: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili | 64 comments Kim wrote: "I started the novel this morning and finished this afternoon. Good book--I really enjoyed the saga connection as well the the snapshots of Iceland and her history. Lilli, I'm jealous. I can't ge..." Hi Kim I've now finished 66 North and you will not be disappointed. I was waiting for Meltwater to go down in price, but I might give in and buy soon. Michael also has a short story "Edge of Knowhere" freaturing Magnus, it's on Kindle and is another good read, perhaps you would be able to get that one sooner.

message 29: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new) - rated it 5 stars

There were 40 people that said they would read the book 19 who finished it, 5 or 6 reading it now. I would say that's a good turn out.

Anita (neet_reads) I'll be a month behind the rest of you on this one. My local library's copy is out on loan until July :(

Fiona | 85 comments Thoroughly enjoyed the book - definitely made me want to visit Iceland. Enjoyed the saga link and liked the Boston connection. Off to find 66 degrees north.

message 32: by Ian (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 352 comments Book 3 of this series Meltwater by Michael Ridpath is available today in the UK as the 99p kindle daily deal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.ht...

Fiona | 85 comments Ian wrote: "Book 3 of this series Meltwater by Michael Ridpath is available today in the UK as the 99p kindle daily deal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.ht......"

Thanks Ian - duly purchased

message 34: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 30, 2012 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Still $20 in the U.S., check with the library and they don't have it.

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael Ridpath Kenneth wrote: "Still $20 in the U.S., check with the library and they don't have it."

The Internet brings many advantages, such as sites like Goodreads breaking down geographical boundaries. But there are disadvantages: emphasizing the difference between US and UK publishing schedules being one of them. 66 degrees North will be published in hardcover in the US at the beginning of August 2012 under the title Far North. And Meltwater presumably not until next year. Sorry about that. Whatever you do, don't buy 66 North AND Far North!

message 36: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili | 64 comments Kenneth wrote: "Still $20 in the U.S., check with the library and they don't have it."

I believe you can order from the UK, even with delivery it is cheaper than U.S. plus you would have the books earlier.

message 37: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jul 01, 2012 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Already have 66 Degrees North, waiting for a copy of Meltwater. I've ordered from the UK before all of Stieg Larsson's books a year before they came out in the U.S. We get people from the UK bringing their books over all the time. They sell them on Amazon Used.

Susan (susanthomas) I'll be reading 66 Degrees North for my Nordic Noir group, and I'm really looking forward to it! Ordered it from Amazon last night.

Rachel | 53 comments Ok ..everyone has been so positive about Where the Shadows Lie that I have ordered from amazon. The power of Goodreads...because I am not a Lord of the Rings fan, was disappointed in Indriadsson and gave up after Silence of the Grave. Enjoyed Isra Siguardottir but not enough to read beyond the first three books.

message 40: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili | 64 comments Michael Ridpath also has a short story featuring Magnus called Edge of Nowhere

message 41: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new) - rated it 5 stars

We'll Michael I couldn't wait any longer, I had to buy Meltwater to see what is going to happen.

message 42: by Michael (new)

Michael Ridpath Kenneth wrote: "We'll Michael I couldn't wait any longer, I had to buy Meltwater to see what is going to happen."

What a good idea! I hope you enjoy it.