UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past group quizzes/comps > Writing Contest #1 - picture description

Comments Showing 1-50 of 199 (199 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by D.M. Andrews (author) (last edited Jun 04, 2012 03:19AM) (new)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Every couple of weeks a new contest will be posted. Participants are obliged, although by no means compelled(!), to tweet (or facebook, pin, etc.) the winning author's GoodReads page (or other writing-related link of their choosing).

One entry per entrant. Winners are offered the chance to set the task for the next contest.

Our first contest is to simply write, in 200 words or less, a serious and creative description of the following image (provided by Scorpio):

All entries should be PM'd to Patti (she has posted immediately beneath this post) by Tuesday, 5th June. They should NOT be posted here.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Shall I lock this thread until it's time to post the next challenge Darren?

message 3: by Vic (new)

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "Every couple of weeks a new contest will be posted. Participants are obliged, although by no means compelled(!), to tweet the winning author's GoodReads page (or other writing-related link of their..."

What about people who don't go in for Twittering?

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Well, can you - when the time comes - add the submissions to this thread and change the opening post into a poll?

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments We could leave this thread open for questions - seeing as newcomers won't go into the Cafe, perhaps...

Facebook, Vic?

message 6: by Vic (last edited May 30, 2012 08:58AM) (new)

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Like many others, I don't do Twitter or Facebook. I am not thinking of myself, just pointing out a practical difficulty in fulfilling the terms and conditions which apply. :-)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Maybe we can do something for them in these forums? Roll of honour?

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Roll of lino?

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Maybe my last rollo...

No, that's asking too much...

message 10: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Aw... I thought we were friends?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I can't change other people's posts Darren.

No worries, we'll sort it.

message 12: by Kath (last edited Jun 05, 2012 08:23AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Midnight tonight, people.

Edit - Serious and creative description.

message 13: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 09:24AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments So far I've had eight submissions, three of which are from 'non-authors'.

Keep them coming, groupites!

Oh, and I've decided that I'm going to abuse my power and post every submission I've received, whether they strictly fit the parameters or not.

I think everyone who has made the effort deserves to be recognised, especially as this is
the first challenge we've done.

We can worry about being strict with the next challenge.

message 14: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments I would have loved to enter this competition, since I'm feeling creative today, but I only just noticed the thread and really cannot write descriptive writing without turning it into a story. My teachers used to get so angry with me!

I'll try and join in with the next competition, though (: What a great idea!

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments OK, Patti. ;)

I'd also be interested to know if "150 words or less" would be better.

Make sure to vote, Katy, even if you don't get an entry in by midnight ;)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Darren, help please.

When do you want me to post the submissions and poll?

And how long should the poll remain open to voting?

Sorry my net is rubbish and it's taking forever for pages to open.

If you could please tell me here I'll save me looking in the other thread.

message 17: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments ... or fewer ?

message 18: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments I'll definitely vote!

I've always wanted to be a writer, but was never any good at it!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Katy wrote: "I would have loved to enter this competition, since I'm feeling creative today, but I only just noticed the thread and really cannot write descriptive writing without turning it into a story. My t..."

Rules are made to be broken katy...

message 20: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Rules are made to be broken katy..."

Thanks Simon! Might give it a go then ;)

message 21: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Go on Katy. Hours to go yet! :)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Katy said: I've always wanted to be a writer, but was never any good at it!

Me, too!

lol@Ignite - fewer!

message 23: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments Thanks Ignite!

I sent it to Patti before I could change my mind!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm with Ignite.

You have no idea how badly I want to take a thick black marker to those 10 items or less signs in supermarkets!

message 25: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Katy wrote: "Thanks Ignite!

I sent it to Patti before I could change my mind!"

Good for you. It's about having a go!

message 26: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Good luck Katy!!

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments You had a go Stu?

message 28: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments Thank Stu!

Patti, I have a question.. Can I still vote if I've entered? (I promise not to vote for myself!)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Everyone can vote (once), but not for themselves - I think the poll says who voted for what, so there can be no cheatin' ;)

message 30: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "Everyone can vote (once), but not for themselves - I think the poll says who voted for what, so there can be no cheatin' ;)"

Thanks D.M!

message 31: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Can I join in too?

message 32: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments It's open to everyone Lorraine. You could do it in French!

message 33: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Yea but no one would understand ! Right, PMing my story Patti !

message 34: by Anne (new)

Anne (anniethorny) | 135 comments would love to have a 'go' but it's so long since I did any creative writing so at the mo will enjoy other pieces

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Got both Katy's and your's sweets!

Simon and I can see who votes for what.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Here are the submissions for this contest!

I am posting them in no particular order.

message 37: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:37PM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Vote here!

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/66...

DM Andrews 

The small boats bobbed lazily in the shallows of the small walled harbour, like ducklings huddled together in the safety of the rushes. A handful of fishermen stood confidently upon the vessels, untangling and cleaning their nets in preparation for the labours of the next day, occasionally casting an eye skyward where hungry gulls sounded their cries of frustration at the crates, traps and saltwater boxes that had denied them their easy pickings. The smell of fish and crabs filled the little bay now, the briny scent all the stronger in the late-afternoon’s cloying heat that clung so heavily to the enclave. 

Outside, the sea swelled and slopped against the ageless harbour wall, slaking the thirst of the barrier’s green skirt of sun-drenched seaweed. Hewn from the living rock, the rough wall sat unmoving, heedless of the sea’s churn and the coming and going of the boats and the villagers with whom it shared the small space on the exposed coast. 

message 38: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:38PM) (new)

Stuart Ayris

Sadness and desperation pervade the scene though hope also does attend, bringing with it a belief that somehow, sometime, today maybe, the sea will offer up something more than yesterdays haul. When your entire being is dependant upon the machinations of the deep darkness of the seas and the movements of the faraway moon, you have to hold onto the small details. You rub down your boat in the belief that this will make a difference. You check the ropes and you study the curves – for these are in your sphere, your domain. They are yours and you are proud of that fact. Life on land is a confusing place for us all. At least on the water, in our boats, we have the benefit of knowing what is ours and what is not. The cloudy sky looks down upon the distant hills as the hills themselves behold the old stone jetty upon which the cars of the fisherman have been parked like so many fish that have been dragged from the sea and hurled over the shoulders of men. There is nothing man-made that can save this day. For it is memories alone that we seek.

message 39: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:38PM) (new)

DD Chant

Jim stood on the stone harbour wall and watched the fishermen in their boats as they cleaned their catch. The water lapped gently at the hulls making the bright orange floats hanging over the sides bob languidly as the water reflected their shocking colour. The seagulls rested lazily on a large rock that jutted upward on the far side of the wall its topmost slant covered with moss. Jim let his eyes travel for a moment from the rock to the large swathe of green that made a colourful background to the channel that separated them from each other. 
It was overcast: the flag on the harbour office hung lankly against its pole, the upper story of the building stood out boldly white against the surrounding grey stone. A few young lads sat on the wall their legs dangling as they ate fish and chips, a young mother pushed a pram along the promenade calling encouragingly to the toddler who trailed behind her. As Jim watched she paused raising her hand persuasively, the child chuckled and hurried forward his gait unsteady. Jim smiled and turn to walk back up the hill, it was time for lunch and he was hungry.

message 40: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:38PM) (new)

Simon (highwayman)

Fishermen and tourists alike were stunned into silence early on Sunday morning when a meteor crashed into the harbour at a sleepy fishing town in Cornwall. Local boat owner and folk Dancer Jack Spratt commented to the Daily Mail “If it happened an hour later the village morris men would have been buried alive”. The only victim of the extra-terrestrial catastrophy seems to have been that of local drunk, Stuart Ayris, who was having an extended nap after a particularly extensive session at the local pub. Recovering in hospital, Stuart commented that he had one hell of a hangover.

The incident has raised questions in parliament because there was no mention of the meteor strike, even though it was observed by astronomers over a week ago. When challenged the Minister for the bizarre said that it was not announced because it was predicted it would land somewhere remote where there was little of value and no-one important was likely to get hurt – which in fact is exactly what happened.

message 41: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:39PM) (new)

Pat (Scorpio)

The clouds made the light on the water look flat and the sun seemed to have given up the fight to break through. The gentle breeze stirred the three flags on top of the harbour wall as passing three of his friends, the fisherman slowly sculled his dingy towards his boat with figure of eight movements in the calm water.

A scattering of holidaymakers had parked their cars by the fence and strolled past the Harbour Office and the lifebelt and safety gear on display by the prominent rock. They took in the sea air and maybe thought about dangling a rod and line over the wall, while others were just happy to sit and watch the locals prepare their boats and tackle for a late afternoon trip.

The out-going tide made small ripples in the water and broke up any reflections brave enough to show on the dull surface. Even the seagulls had departed this passive scene. On the yacht the owner furled the sails and prepared to call it a day with everything stowed shipshape and Bristol fashion.

message 42: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:41PM) (new)

Ignite

With grey on grey the sea and sky
are sundered by a harbour wall.
Safe shelter here for fishing boats
of royal blue with scarlet floats,
protected from the squall.

The masts are lowered, nets are furled;
a jutting rock broods over all.
Unchanging is this timeless scene;
for centuries such men have been
providers for us all.

message 43: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:41PM) (new)

Darren Humphries

Before it was violently burned off maps everywhere, not many people had heard of Tarkin Bay. It avoided interest from the tourists that swarmed the area in summer by virtue of being perched on the sharp granite rocks at the end of a road that barely merited the designation. The tiny harbour had space for thirty or forty small two-handed fishing boats, but there were rarely more than a dozen and they were local boats owned by the old hands of the village who made their livings now out of state benefits rather than fish sales. The harbour office was still kept neat, painted each year and the sign refurbished regularly, but it was used for card games and tall tale telling rather than keeping track of which boats were in and which were out on the cold waters of the Atlantic, tracking the shoals off the north Cornish coast. The activities of maintaining and preparation of boats and nets continued more out of habit than profit or necessity. Tarkin Bay was not a village in decline as it had long since hit a bottom as hard and unyielding as the rocks upon which it was constructed.

message 44: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:42PM) (new)

Mark Faulkner

Hazy sunshine threatens to burn cloud into submission, bringing pleasant warmth to the men preparing nets and pots ahead of a rising tide. Standing on the decks of their small, brightly painted boats, swaying gently on ripples, reflections distort and swim around them. Soon, they'll be able to leave the shelter of the harbour, navigate past proud rocks, standing guard at its mouth, and enter the open bay.
The harbourmaster stands outside the door to his imposing office building. Breathing deeply of the sea air he shuts his eyes for a moment, listening to the slow, lazy clanking of ropes on masts and flagpoles. The flags are vivid: yellows, reds and blues, welcoming visitors to the shore. Most guests come from the land now, rather than by boat. 
The shrill beep of a car door being locked stirs him from his thoughts. He can't see around the corner of the building but knows the tiny quayside is full of cars. A quick glance at the tourists and anglers on the harbour wall tells him that much.
"Another busy day at the office then," he mumbles before a broad, contented grin spreads across his weathered face.

message 45: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:42PM) (new)

Lorraine-Lover of Jellybeans

This is a seemingly tiny little seaport, but don’t let yourself get fooled by appearances, because this place has seen more action than the Jubilee weekend ! In the village nearby, they were having a “Britain’s toughest Man” competition. Yes. In this little village stuck in the middle of nowhere. 

When you see this picture, you think that the few people on their boats in the foreground might be coming back from a day of leisure spent fishing and enjoying the tide… but you’re wrong ! They took their boats for a ride, just to check that there was nothing damaged and that the boats weren’t going to sink and become castles for the fish below.

“Why?” I hear you ask… Well, my friends, something very unusual happened. One of the guys who entered the competition thought, in order to prove his strength, that it would be a good idea to lift a hugely gigantic stone and throw it as far as he could. 

Sadly, the guy might be strong, but his aim was just… crap. 

message 46: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 06, 2012 02:03AM) (new)

Katy

"As you step out of your warm, inviting car, the salty scent of the silvery sea hits you. The
sound of the waves gently hitting against the cold harbour walls, a pleasant sound in your ears, almost euphoric. 
Flags snap together above you, and you realise that the breeze is chilly here. You consider getting back into your car, away from the crisp wind that is curling its frozen fingers around your body, but the harsh song of the seagulls invades your thoughts, a sharp sound in your ear, startling you. You look up, watching them dance around each other before disappearing into the distance, toward the cold, uninviting surface of the nearby cliff. 
The distant voices of dog walkers do not interest you, as you slowly pull your soft, blue scarf over your mouth and nose, in a feeble attempt to keep warm. You slowly lean back against your car, noticing it feels cold to your touch. 
Fishermen shout to each other, each one racing to get their boat tied down before the tide
sweeps out again. You are fascinated by this struggle against time, eagerly watching their stony expressions. You’re not worried, it is clear that they have done this before."

Vote here!

Gingerlily

Colours… or lack of colours. That’s what I see first. Lots of light gray, the sea, the sky, the Harbour Office. Then the blues and blacks of the boats, and the darker, warmer gray of the seawall. A few brighter splashes - the vivid orange of the buoys, the flags at the corner. I think this would work well as a black and white picture, tranquil and at rest. It’s a scene that offers peace and relaxation, no drama or tension, just a every-day picture of a harbour. That’s the idea, a safe harbour, a place where you go to be quiet and recover, to rest from your labours, to recharge before you head back out into the struggle. It’s a temporary peace, you couldn’t stay there for too long or you would stagnate. It’s a refuge, quiet but not silent, tranquil but not still. The water moves, it always moves.

message 47: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Strewth! It's hard to choose. I absolutely love 3 of them! I'm going to dither for a bit I think!

message 48: by Kath (last edited Jun 06, 2012 12:17AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Should there be names or numbers on this poll thingie then? There's just a comments box.

Ah, you've done it. I was being a bit previous!

message 49: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Some interesting entries. Mine would have been short and sweet: "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

message 50: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments You should have entered it Shaun - might have got the sympathy vote!

« previous 1 3 4