2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 > What are You Currently Reading *June*

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei (goodreadscomlorelei_reads) | 393 comments Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand

message 2: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Oh, so many books! I started Nine Horses last night, I'm still working on Xenocide (it's been a few months now!) and I'm struggling to read a giveaway I won a while ago, Catastrophically Consequential. That one isn't going well, and I might end up giving up on it! I'm not following the story at all. :(

message 3: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I saw Catastrophically Consequential when it was listed as a giveaway, Trevor, and from the reviews, it sounds like you're not alone there.

I think I'm going to take a break from In Cold Blood to start (and hopefully finish) Soft Rot tonight (also a giveaway). Something blue!

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Sara wrote: "Yeah, my library stack is now 12 books big, not counting a few library e-books I have out right now as well. And I still have some holds coming oiy!"

I am in the same boat!! June is going to be a busy reading month it looks like.

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (cnicole322) | 86 comments I'm finishing up Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken kesey so I can start the June wedding challenge.

message 6: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments Just finished Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James yesterday and now I´m halfway through The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks . Next will be Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) by E.L. James or One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey I think.

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) How are you liking The Notebook, Johanna?

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I just recieved Please Don't Kill the Freshman via interlibrary loan, which I didn't expect to be so fast! From what I've heard ILL is usually a long process, but apparently my province is pretty speedy. Anyway, that means I've got to read it right away since I can't renew it if I don't finish in the month it's with me! I've put all other books on hold for now and am focusing on that one and Xenocide.

Once I'm done those two: finishing Of Mice and Men for my quarterly challenge, and Mr. Parker Pyne, Detective for my Agatha Christie Lovers group.

message 9: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments Trevor I finished Notebook already. It was ok. I think I might have liked it more if I hadn´t just read someting I loved before that. I think I gave it 3 stars.

message 10: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Johanna wrote: "Trevor I finished Notebook already. It was ok. I think I might have liked it more if I hadn´t just read someting I loved before that. I think I gave it 3 stars."

Ah. I see. I've seen the movie and I'm positive I couldn't make it through the book without losing it. haha

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Sara wrote: "I just finished The Space Between and loved this book so much! This author is fast becoming one of my favorites :)"

Cool, Sara! I love finding new authors that I love!

message 12: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I think I might like the movie :)

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I'm hoping to begin A Discovery of Witches soon. Just FYI, if you have a Kindle...It is the Daily Deal today for $2.99!! It is usually $9.99. Grab it up while you can. :)

message 14: by Sheena (new)

Sheena | 174 comments I am currently reading The Lucky One, which is wonderful. I have never read his books. So far it is great. I am down for a couple of weeks which I plan on finishing some series ive been reading..

message 15: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I just keep picking up new books! I'm at the second chapter of The Kite Runner; I went to my favorite, favorite bookstore in the whole world (City Lights in SF) and picked up Identity because we talked a bit about Kundera here; and my BFFs here want to read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? together. And on top of all that, I'm content editing a friend's book for her before it goes to the publisher, and my deadline is Monday. Yikes! I need to, like, block off two days a week just for reading. :)

message 16: by Johanna (new)

message 17: by Nathan (last edited Jun 19, 2012 01:33PM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Just finished Of Mice and Men a few days ago. It was alright. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it..

Got A + E 4ever by ilike merey in the mail yesterday and started it. I usually am not a fan of manga-type books, but I'm actually enjoying this story a lot. The art makes it kind of hard to follow; I think I'm getting used to ilike merey's drawing style though because what I hated at first is now growing on me!

message 18: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Aww, I <3'd Of Mice and Men, but I read it after East of Eden and The Grapes of Wrath so that might have affected how I felt about it.

Trevor, will you be joining us for next month's buddy read of The Pearl?

message 19: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld and Jaguar Sun (Jaguar Sun #1) by Martha Bourke

message 20: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Kara wrote: "Aww, I <3'd Of Mice and Men, but I read it after East of Eden and The Grapes of Wrath so that might have affected how I felt about it.

Trevor, will you be joining us for next month's buddy read of The Pearl?"

I might be, it depends on how long a read it is. I'm playing catch up with quite a lot of my yearly challenges right now!

Of Mice and Men was my first Steinbeck read, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

message 21: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments It's right around 100 pages--you can definitely handle it. :)

message 22: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Kara wrote: "It's right around 100 pages--you can definitely handle it. :)"

Well, if you say so! haha. ;)

message 23: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Johanna wrote: "Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld and Under the Jaguar Sun by Italo Calvino"

How is Uglies?? I've seen it so much but have never picked it up.

message 24: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I´m still undecided about how I like it. I think things are only starting to happen now. It has been a pretty easy read so far, but it hasn´t hooked me yet :)

message 25: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) @Sarajayne, Did you see that there's a movie coming out for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter? I think it looks totally weird, actually. But then again, vampires are really not my thing.

@Johanna, let us all know what you think! I can't be alone in having it on my tbr list. :)

message 26: by Barb (new)

Barb Trevor wrote: "@Johanna, let us all know what you think! I can't be alone in having it (Uglies) on my tbr list. :)"

It's not actually on my TBR list, but it's been recommended lots of times. In addition, it would come in handy for those Us in spelling challenges, so I've been thinking about adding it to my list :)

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 283 comments I haven't had a lot of time to read the last couple of months. I'm just starting Lionheart for another group (they started it in May so I'm hoping to do some catching up.)

message 28: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I will let you know people! I´ve slowled down in my reading though cos I´ve been too tired in the morning to read more than one chapter in the bus. And these chapters are short :) I do have 3 days off from work now, so maybe I´ll catch up!

message 29: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I've put everything aside to finish The Vesuvius Club for my quarterly challenge. It's getting really good and I'm glad someone told me about it!
After that's done, I'll keep reading a giveaway I won, Mythology of Touch which I haven't gotten to go back to yet because of finishing my challenges.

message 30: by Rachel (last edited Jun 28, 2012 02:45PM) (new)

Rachel currently reading Hold Tight

for anyone who enjoys thrillers- i highly recommend harlan coben.