Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > UF that reads more like PNR?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (cyborguesa) | 9 comments I have generally been more of a fan of PNR but I just finished the Fever series and I absolutely loved it! However, I think I have been spoiled by all the romance and sex in PNR books, that even though the sexual tension between Mac and Barron was AMAZING, I found myself wanting there to be more romance (or at least it building faster :p) So that brings me to my question: are there good series like the Fever series that have the same couple in which the romance is a bit more fast-paced? if so, I'd be forever thankful of some recommendations!

message 2: by Cmkage (new)

Cmkage | 231 comments

I think the Night Huntress series might be something you like. I can never decide wether it is uf or pnr.

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene FrostOne Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene FrostAt Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene FrostDestined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene FrostThis Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene FrostOne Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene Frost
First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene FrostEternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2) by Jeaniene FrostOnce Burned (Night Prince, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

Also, the Guild Hunter books have a lot of romance, but also many uf elements.
Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini SinghArchangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) by Nalini SinghArchangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini SinghArchangel's Blade (Guild Hunter, #4) by Nalini SinghAngels' Flight (Angels' Pawn #0.5, Angels' Judgment #1.5, Angel's Wolf #4.5, Angels' Dance #4.75) by Nalini Singh

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments The Chicagoland Vampire Series is great too, another that could be classified as either PNR or UF.

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4) by Chloe Neill Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5) by Chloe Neill Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires #6) by Chloe Neill

message 4: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments I'm just thinking of reading the Chicagoland series. I read the first book, but am going to reread it, since I want to read the series as a whole. I hope it's good. :)

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments I have read the first three and loved them! The only reason I haven't read the others (the 6th isn't out yet) is because I heard there are cliffhangers in the last two so I have just been waiting for them all to be released.

That and I just don't have the time right now to read them. I have so many books in my TBR pile I may never get through them all lol!

message 6: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments Lol I know the feeling. Well, maybe I'll wait for the next book to come out, and then read books four and five. I knew that the fourth had a cliffhanger ending, but not the fifth.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments I think there will be 7 total in the series but I may be wrong about that. They seem to come out every 6 months or so.

I heard the fifth was kind of a filler book but that the ending was a bit of a mystery/cliffhanger. I try not to read too many spoilers, I don't want to ruin it lol!

message 8: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments Lol yes, spoilers are never a good thing to read before reading a book.

message 9: by Alana ~ The Book Pimp (last edited May 30, 2012 10:37PM) (new)

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (cyborguesa) | 9 comments Thank you ladies for the suggestions. Ive decided to start with the night huntress series!

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments Lisa wrote: "Thank you ladies for the suggestions. Ive decided to start with the night huntress series!"

You'll love it! I only start it a short time ago. I've already read the first three and have the rest waiting to go along with the extra's. Love Cat and Bones.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments Cat and Bones are two of my favorite book characters. Frost's book are amazing! Her spin off series is good too but not as good as the Night Huntress Series.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz (cyborguesa) | 9 comments I started the first book yesterday and I'm HOOKED! It is exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait to keep reading, I already want me some Bones!

message 14: by Allison (new)

Allison | 247 comments Cat and Bones are great. I also recommend

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews
Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead
Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price

message 15: by ☽ Rhiannon ✭ (new)

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments I think that Karen Chance might be something like you're looking for, either her Cassie Palmer series, or her Dorina Basarab series. Both are definitely UF (first person narration, majority of the plot focused on the action), but with significant romance storylines, and sex scenes.

message 16: by BR (last edited Jul 29, 2012 09:23AM) (new)

BR Kingsolver (brkingsolver) | 30 comments The Telepathic Clans series.

The Succubus Gift (Telepathic Clans #1) by B.R. Kingsolver

Succubus Unleashed, An Urban Fantasy / Paranormal Romance (Telepathic Clans #2) by B.R. Kingsolver

A new and completely different UF/PNR series.

message 17: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments I second the Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost and Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill

message 18: by ☽ Rhiannon ✭ (new)

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments The new book set in the Night Huntress world definitely fits into this category, IMO.

Once Burned (Night Prince, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 19: by Jerichoxoxo (new)

Jerichoxoxo | 1 comments Yes! Vlad is amazing..can't wait to see that stroy unfold!

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz (cyborguesa) | 9 comments So far I've read these series: Guild Hunter, Chicagoland Vampire and Night Huntress. I must say they were exactly what I was looking for.
I will be reading the Kate Daniels series next and make my way down to the rest of the recommendations posted here, thanks soooo much for the awesome suggestions!

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Black Dagger Brotherhood? I'm never sure it those books are supposed to be PNR or UF, but they're good.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (phonebooklady) Atlantis Rising (Warriors of Poseidon, #1) by Alyssa Day

I don't know what this series is but it does have romance.

message 23: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Michelle--BDB is not UF, its PNR. One of the primary requirements for UF is one pov (usually the hero or heroine) and usually only 1 romance--altho sometimes the heroine/hero works through several different possible love interest.

And frankly, (and I know I'm going to be jumped on for saying this, but. . .) how in the WORLD can you recommend that drivel? That is a horrible, horrible, horrible series. Now, having said that, I will also say to our OP--BDB is one of those series where you either are a rabid fan, convinced it's the greatest piece of writing in the English language since Shakespeare--or you are convinced that JR Ward is a talentless moron. And I've never been able to figure out what is it that makes someone fall on one side of that line or the other. Some of the people that I thought would love it have hated it, and vice versa. . .

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Michelle--BDB is not UF, its PNR. One of the primary requirements for UF is one pov (usually the hero or heroine) and usually only 1 romance--altho sometimes the heroine/hero works through several..."

Lol. No, I don't think BDB is the greatest thing since Shakespeare. However, I'm hooked because of the individual stories of the brothers. Actually, this series, writing wise, reminds me of Dean R. Koontz...simplistic, consistent stories with a satisfying conclusion. I find them fun,satisfying, and easy to read.

message 25: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Michelle--I don't see any comparison to Koontz at all with Ward. But then, I don't LIKE Ward. I think that she has a fantastic imagination and great ideas--but doesn't have the writing ability to actually carry those ideas OFF. Of course, part of that is probably the way I was raised--did I mention how many of my relatives are/were teachers??? Her stupidity with spelling, weird names, inability to EDIT her work (and what the heck was her publisher thinking with no editing work done on any of her books that I have managed to plow through?) and we won't even TALK about the villians. Sorry, but she could have come up with much better villians than she did.

Having said all that about her writing abilities--she comes up with some of the BEST ideas for series, and in that way I can understand people's infactuation with her. Unfortunately, it's when she tries to write a story with those ideas that she loses me. I've said on several different lists that she should sell her ideas to people who CAN write--or have her books ghostwritten/co-written or something.

message 26: by Cmkage (new)

Cmkage | 231 comments I'm actually one of the few people who neither love nor hate the BDB books. I read them, but they are not amongst my favorite. You are right, Ann, Ward has incredible ideas. I also really like her characters... well, her male characters anyway. I tend to hate the women. That and Ward's pseudo-ghetto writing is what keeps me from truly loving her books.

But they are most definitely pnr, not uf.

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Actually, I'm a teacher, lol. I try to look past the words on the page, though, and pay more attention to the story. ; ). The names make me laugh. Zsadist? Phury? Too cool!

I agree, Cmkage, I like the male characters much more than the female ones. I think they are much better developed. Although, I did like the woman in book two who was fighting cancer. Also, I agree with you, Ann, about the villains. I don't care for them, either.

message 28: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) I will recommend this one
The Wages of Sin (Cin Craven, #1) by Jenna Maclaine Grave Sins (Cin Craven, #2) by Jenna Maclaine Bound By Sin (Cin Craven, #3) by Jenna Maclaine

Its UF (tell from first POV) but also heavy on romance and there some sex. Oh, and no love triangle!

message 29: by Ty (new)

Ty I wouldn't say Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews is strictly PNR. Granted, there is one couple, but it's exactly like the Fever series in that the relationship doesn't start to sizzle until later books, something the OP was trying to avoid. That being said, the Kate Daniels series is my FAVORITE UF series evah! It is definitely worth the wait. :)

message 30: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I will second Ren's suggestion of the Cyn Craven series. But then again--I'm probably prejudiced about that. I am one of the few people on the planet to actually own a "true" first edition of The Wages of Sin that was self published with this cover. The Wages of Sin (Cin Craven, #1) by Jenna Maclaine . When Jenna finally got a contract to have the entire series published, I actually went out and re-bought the first book--you know, just to show my support. So now I have a "true" first edition AND a first popular print edition.

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "we won't even TALK about the villians. Sorry, but she could have come up with much better villians than she did. ."

while I respect people's appreciation for Ward's work (everyone is entitled to their own opinion), I personally find the BDB to be complete drivel and I've given up on it after three books. Her writing is atrocious and her characters sound like gang banger wanabees. The Lesser plot has to be the worst I've ever read in PNR. There are much better series out there.

message 32: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Lauren--I love you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally another person who thinks that Ward can't write.

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Lauren--I love you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally another person who thinks that Ward can't write."

You're welcome. I must say that I felt vindicated in my opinions when I read your post. So many people love those books and I just do not get it! Oh well, to each her own.