Read a book from each country discussion

North America > Canada

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (last edited Jan 02, 2009 07:44PM) (new)

L (not_ophelia) | 30 comments Technically Michael Ondaatje was born in Sri Lanka, but I think his work (which includes The English Patient and Divisadero) is considered Canadian, and very good :)

message 2: by Abi (new)

Abi Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

The Cornish Trilogy by Robertson Davies

message 3: by Carol (last edited Jan 13, 2009 06:04AM) (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay
Fifth Business by Robertson Davies

message 4: by L (last edited Jan 19, 2009 05:05PM) (new)

L (not_ophelia) | 30 comments I really liked Oryx and Crake as well, but I am sad to say it was the only Margaret Atwood I've read. Anyone have any suggestions for another that they've liked?

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) I came across this website that lists lots of good Canadian fiction:
http://www.cbc.ca/canadareads/

message 6: by Abi (new)

Abi The Handmaid's Tale is the only other one I've read by her that I enjoyed, but I'm pretty sure Cat's Eye and The Robber Bride are highly acclaimed. Don't bother with Lady Oracle, though.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Definitely Margaret Atwood. I'd read The edible woman and it was good.

message 8: by El (new)

El Leah, there are very few Margaret Atwood books I didn't enjoy. I always recommend her as one of my favorite writers.

message 9: by Tracy (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:46AM) (new)

Tracy | 9 comments Carol, Fifth Business is one of my favorite novels! I also loved Davies's Cornish Trilogy.

And I LOVE the YA series "Anne of Green Gables" and "Emily of New Moon" by Lucy Maud Montgomery.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura The Stone Carvers and The Underpainter by Jane Urquhart

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda BeReckonedwith (DreamRabbit) | 7 comments I've read quite a few Atwood and my favorite is Alias Grace.

But I also love Carol Shields. Some of her books are a bit dated, which I still enjoy (ie - Happenstance Two Novels in One About a Marriage in Transition and Swann). The one I am most likely to recommend generally is Unless A Novel.

message 12: by Oksana (last edited Feb 05, 2011 09:29AM) (new)

Oksana | 4 comments The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway from British Columbia
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen from BC as well
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Life Before Man by Margaret Atwood
Watermelon Syrup by Annie Jacobsen from Saskatchewan

message 13: by Oksana (new)

Oksana | 4 comments I forgot to mention it in my previous comment, I also loved Deafening written by Frances Itani, a Canadian writer from Belleville, ON. I definitely plan to read some more of her books soon.

message 14: by Leland (new)

Leland (indigitis) Away by Jane Urquhart is a wonderful Canadian book.

message 15: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I second The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steve Galloway, it was a great read!

There's also Life of Pi by Yann Martell (which I should re-read again at some point).

message 16: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 3 comments Here are 3 Canadian novels that I think make for worthwhile reading ~

1) The End of the Line by Stephen Legault

2) The Third Riel Conspiracy by Stephen Legault

3) Burden of Desire by Robert MacNeil

The End of the Line by Stephen Legault

The Third Riel Conspiracy by Stephen Legault

Burden of Desire by Robert MacNeil

message 17: by A. (new)

A. (caesardaniyal) | 2 comments in the skin of a lion by michael ondaatje

message 18: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 3 comments 1) The Stubborn Season by Lauren B. Davis (novel set in Depression Era Toronto)

2) Night Town by Cathi Bond (novel set in 1970s Toronto)

The Stubborn Season by Lauren B. Davis

Night Town by Cathi Bond

message 19: by Camiblos (new)

Camiblos | 1 comments LIfe of Pi - Yann Martel