Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Atlas
This topic is about Atlas
II. Publishing & Marketing Tips > I need reviews and votes. How do I get them?

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benjamin (last edited May 18, 2012 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Benjamin Smith (B3N_R_5mith) | 61 comments Well, I've been published for over three months and the most anybody has done with my book is put it on their "to-read" list. As we head into the summer months. I feel a touch self-conscious. Anybody out there want to help out by liking my book on facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/AtlasANovel

or, you know... giving it a like on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Novel-The...

or sample it on Smashwords...

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

If you're in the same boat, post your links. ;)

Benjamin Smith (B3N_R_5mith) | 61 comments Thanks, Jaq!

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Brodie (pristine) | 44 comments Welcome to the Jungle! I liked your FB!

Benjamin Smith (B3N_R_5mith) | 61 comments Thank you Deborah and Sadie!

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 56 comments Happy to help.

message 6: by Terry (new)

Terry Tyler (TerryTyler) | 93 comments Benjamin wrote: "Well, I've been published for over three months and the most anybody has done with my book is put it on their "to-read" list. As we head into the summer months. I feel a touch self-conscious. Anybo..."

I've liked it on FB, but I can't on Amazon I'm afraid as I don't have an account there as am in the UK. I must say, the cover is stunning! Do you use Twitter a lot? Do you know who any of the people are who reviewed it on Amazon? If you do, you could ask them if they wouldn't mind putting the review on here too, if they're a member. Failing that, if any of your friends have read it and are also on here, they could review it - there's nothing wrong in that, it's not 'cheating' if a friend has genuinely read and enjoyed it! As far as getting reviews generally, there are SO many review sites - I don't know anything about them, really, but I noticed someone has directed you to the Author's Resources bit, so I imagine you will find lots of help there!

If you look up Melissa Foster on Twitter, she runs this World Literary Cafe thing (which is also on Facebook). On the website, they have vehicles for reciprocal Facebook likes, Twitter RTs, Amazon tagging, etc. I've only ever used the Facebook page likes; I did it when I first set up my author page and I'd already begged all my FB friends to 'like' it for me, but I thought I needed some more! Like everything like that, I don't need to use it anymore, as once you get more 'established' the 'likes' come anyway - but it's a good way to get things started!

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 1971 comments Don't feel discouraged Benjamin, My book has been out for over a year now and while I have plenty of people on here having marked it as to read I don't know that alot of them or anyone else not on Goodreads has and I've done my good share of promoting. Best thing to do is to get into the right groups on here, promote the best you can and interact with people on here and spread the good word, I found even people marking your book to read gives a good feeling of confidence also encourage people to check out your blog or website if you have one, it's always good to promote but you don't want to go overboard as well. Best of luck to you and I hope your book gets interest and sees some sales.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (Barb65) | 61 comments Terry, if you have an account with Amazon, no matter where in the world, you can access all the other Amazons with the same userID and password! It's only the Kindle books that you can download/buy only from your "local" Amazon (mine is on Amazon.it, but I use KDP from Amazon.com and price accordingly on the other Amazon)...
I know I have reviews only on Amazon.com, not on the others... but it's hard to ask to copy/paste the reviews everywhere - I don't do it myself! ;-)

message 9: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (Darlene_Jones) | 152 comments I published my first book last November and the second in February. I've been tweeting, etc the whole time and am just now getting more blog visits and more reviews. In the last little while I've actually had people offer to review or host me which is so nice. Great support, but it all takes a lot of time. I read indies and post reviews and add books to my blog as a way to help back.
www.emandyves.com

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 587 comments Benjamin wrote: "Well, I've been published for over three months and the most anybody has done with my book is put it on their "to-read" list. As we head into the summer months. I feel a touch self-conscious. Anybo..."

Have you joined FB and Goodreads groups pertinent to the subject matter? Many of them frown on self-promotion, but some of them do not. Look for groups likely to be interested. Add your book to pertinent GR lists as well.

Benjamin Smith (B3N_R_5mith) | 61 comments Well, I am on Facebook and Twitter. Atlas now has its own page on FB...

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn

And I am on twitter, tweeting when I can. But I'm one of those social media ADD types.

https://twitter.com/#!/B3N_R_5mith

Benjamin Smith (B3N_R_5mith) | 61 comments Justin wrote: "Don't feel discouraged Benjamin, My book has been out for over a year now and while I have plenty of people on here having marked it as to read I don't know that alot of them or anyone else not on ..."

Justin, thank you for taking the time to rate my book. I saw that and wanted to let you know it did not go without notice.

message 13: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Fotheringham (LorraineLoriFotheringham) | 10 comments I had a request from an author to review his book, he offered to send a copy to my address and i asked if he would review mine.I'll send him a copy.
I reckon if we are genuine and one author helps another and review each others book, we're helping every one in the long run. So don't just put it on your to read list, contact the author, offer to review it, the gift of giving, helps us all.

message 14: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Fotheringham (LorraineLoriFotheringham) | 10 comments ps, setting up facebook/twitter/ and post on other author websites, offer free giveaways, give money to charity. Basically any new author has to sell themselves and their books, word of mouth is the best review, go around schools, colleges,shops, give discounts, ask/ ask, ask, for reviews, post them on your website, any reader seeing a good review helps sell. No-one is gonna make millions until people know ur name, any freebies for a review helps us all.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 587 comments Lori wrote: "No-one is gonna make millions until people know ur name, any freebies for a review helps us all. "

Anyone expecting to make millions as an author is naive. Let's put that out front right now. Even with the Big Six, advances are getting smaller all the time and the majority of books never cash out the advance *anyway.* (The advance has to be repayed to the publisher before royalty checks start coming; that's what "cash out" is.)

To your point about review-swapping; I have done this, and it's all well and good. However, one should be sure that the review is *honest.* Saying something like "I'll give you five stars if you give me five stars," before books are even read, is unethical.

/soapbox

message 16: by Lorraine (last edited Jun 27, 2012 06:36AM) (new)

Lorraine Fotheringham (LorraineLoriFotheringham) | 10 comments I never said award anyone with stars etc. I expect if people want a review, I would actually, of course, read the book, and give my honest view. Then if other authors would like to read and review my books, then it's appreciated. Lots of Authors/ readers do this. No fake stars, ever. The comment about becoming a millionaire, I was stating how hard it is for authors to be noticed, and make a decent living, to be prepared to work hard, and getting a book on the market isn't easy. If authors put the hard work in, they will recieve the benefits.

message 17: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Fotheringham (LorraineLoriFotheringham) | 10 comments It is noticed by myself and others, that lots of authors offer giveaways, mainly for short periods. It is up to the person asked if they want one and whether they are willing to review it. That is all you're asking. Read book and review please.

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter (74765525) | 15 comments Benjamin: I'm following you on Twitter and have downloaded a sample from Smashwords. Next FB.

My twitter handle is @petergpollak.

Anyone who likes my FB page will be liked back: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ex...

You can sample both of my novels in Smashwords:
The Expendable Man (a political thriller, pub. 2011): https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

Making the Grade (a murder mystery, pub. 2012): https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

I write a blog about writing adventures at www.expendableman.wordpress.com/

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 27, 2012 08:53AM) (new)

I would like to open a discussion for books that can be made into movies. I would like Authors to be able to promote their book as a movie and post their book in hopes it will catch the attention of some Producers since I heard Producers visit goodreads to look at reviews. It will give Authors a chance to add their logline, a few reviews and a little overview about the book. I have not been successful setting one up since I am not that computer savvy. Could someone help me out? Thanks! :)

message 20: by Peter (new)

Peter (74765525) | 15 comments Michelle, you don't have to be computer savvy. Click on Discussions at the top of this page, and start a new discussion. Explain what you are looking for and if anyone's interested they'll respond.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Peter, I just set up a new discussion called "Promote your books to Producers!" I hope I get some feedback. :)

message 22: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 587 comments Lori wrote: "If authors put the hard work in, they will recieve the benefits. "

Not really, no. The average author sells about 100 copies per title. As previously stated, the Big Six are reducing advances significantly, and most titles never cash out.

Do you really think that Snooki "put the hard work in" on her ghostwritten book, for which she got a million dollar advance? I don't.

I am all for working hard and putting out the best product you can, but I am also a *realist.* Every time a person like Snooki gets a book contract, a *real author* is losing out.

message 23: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (Darlene_Jones) | 152 comments And if we had half the publicity of a Snooki type, we'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

message 24: by Sharon (last edited Jun 27, 2012 02:13PM) (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 587 comments Darlene wrote: "And if we had half the publicity of a Snooki type, we'd be laughing all the way to the bank."

Yep. I'm pretty sure that's what *she's* doing ...

message 25: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (AndrewLawston) | 223 comments Sharon wrote: "I am all for working hard and putting out the best product you can, but I am also a *realist.* Every time a person like Snooki gets a book contract, a *real author* is losing out.
"

But that's simply not true. The crappy ghostwritten efforts that are stacked high and sold cheap effectively subsidise the less commercial efforts of *real authors*.

Benjamin Smith (B3N_R_5mith) | 61 comments Sharon wrote: "Lori wrote: "If authors put the hard work in, they will recieve the benefits. "

Not really, no. The average author sells about 100 copies per title. As previously stated, the Big Six are reduci..."

I'm going to side with Sharon on this. A lot of crappy people get the money real hard-working authors should simply because of promotions and publicity.

unread topics | mark unread