Daily Diary discussion

Daily Life > Anyone brave enough to give up tv entirely? What's it like?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I often wonder what it would be like if I gave up the tv entirely. I'm not brave enough to do it. Anyone here ever do that? What was/is it like? Do you miss it? Maybe I should try sometime to go for a week or so.

message 2: by Cassiel (new)

Cassiel HI, yes I gave it up. I used to be a heavy television watcher; news, crime dramas, even the daytime soaps. Less than a year after gorging myself on 911 coverage my mind started to reject the negativity of television...It was a "Survivor" episode that was the final straw :)
I haven't watched at all since sometime in 2002. I don't miss television, but I substitute my reading habit for the time I used to spend watching.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

er.. i gave it up 4 a while and i wuz perfectly fine....... cept when my friend talked about the simpsons in class but that wuz ok.......... 4 months w/o tv made me a little stir-crazy so i read and i walked my dog and i met my neighbors and evn tho i watch sum now im nut like obsessed like i wuz b4!!!

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyk314) After college, when I first was living on my own in Brooklyn I got rid of my cable service (and therefore received no channels) for over two years. I did, however, still watch movies a few times a month. I did the same thing a few years later when living in Vermont. Every once in a while I consider pitching to my husband that we get rid of it, but I think he would go insane. In our household we're not big tv watchers. He watches Football and college basketball. I watch Twin Peaks (and I'm not giving that up until I'm done with the series!). But, still, in the back of my head I know it's a good idea.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (grammyellen) | 4 comments i haven't given it up completely but i don't watch tv during the day when i am home alone. when my husband comes home he has to put it on. i think if i had to i could give it up and not miss it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I shamefully could never give up watching Tv.I watch it everyday even when there is nothing really good on but I mostly read.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I used to love TV but now the only show I really sit and watch is True Blood on HBO. I may watch Lost when it starts again but I've given up all of my other shows almost entirely. I would just rather read. I get so sucked into the whatever world I'm reading about that I don't miss TV and it really can't compare.

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I need to turn the tv off and I think then my reading will increase. I hope to pick a week in January to turn the tube off. :) Let me know if anyone is interested in picking a particular week in January and we can share our thoughts.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel dave and i didn't have it at all in college - LOVED IT! in fact, when our contract is up in august, we're going to get rid of it. the nice thing now is that most shows are online or you can rent the season, so for shows we really love, we will still be able to watch them. we just won't get sucked in to the time trap of sitting mindlessly in front of the tv. *sigh*....can't wait.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Ed wrote: "I often wonder what it would be like if I gave up the tv entirely. I'm not brave enough to do it. Anyone here ever do that? What was/is it like? Do you miss it? Maybe I should try sometime to ..."

I gave up TV for a good long while about a decade ago; I simply couldn't afford one. Didn't miss it much at all. I got a TV again in '99 (free when test-driving a var, of all things; ah, for the days when the economy was good!), and have had one since, but the vast majority of what I use it for is watching videos/DVDs. About the only things I really keep up on on TV these days are the world series of poker, big horse racing events, and Night Gallery reruns on Chiller TV.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Not entirely, though it is tempting. The only thing I've watched in the last 5 years is children's programming, teaching keeps me way too busy to follow what's on. And I don't really miss it.

But the movies, I don't think I could live without.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

i just got the Wii & Wii Fit for X-mas & we havent watched TV since...i dont really mind...the wii is actualy more fun, i mean i could do without my leg falling asleep when im watching TV...and my family used to watch TV everyday. My dad & mom tivo A LOT.

message 13: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
We like the wii as well...we have the wii fit but I haven't stuck to using it. :(

I think maybe the monday after the super bowl would be a good day to start. I'm going to dvr some shows but going a whole week cold turkey would be interesting. Maybe a good thread. :)

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) We don't have a wii but an xbox 360. I'm addicted to guitar hero. At least it's somewhat physical... especially if you channel your inner rocker LOL.

message 15: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I will be watching Lost as well...addicted to the story.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

:) 2day is the 1st day we r watching the tv but we really couldnt miss the new years specials...

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 17 comments As I mentioned in another thread, I haven't watched TV since July 2007. I do watch movies, and did forget to mention, I do watch series....have watched the entire series of Friends (yes, did watch that on TV when it was on) Sex and The City, The OC, and am only one season behind on Grey's Anatomy due to watching it on DVD. But, will give that all up the 2nd of February!

message 18: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
Besides a live event..like last night's Florida game..I could easily give up tv I think..we will see.

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (chaoscat60) | 37 comments I really don't watch any tv at all. At work it's on for my residents-I got disgusted watching so much garbage on the tube. I do love baseball though and I multi-task while watching I usually crochet.

message 20: by Morgan (new)

Morgan I don't really watch tv earthier. My sis doses

message 21: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I really notice just how awful tv can be when sick..then you start seeing some of the shows on during the day.....

message 22: by Fiona (new)

Fiona V | 2 comments I didnt have Internet Or a TV for an entire year...
I lived with my books and i loved reading, The story IS a TV in your head. But i did miss the TV hehe!!!

message 23: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 30 comments I have no desire to. There is Quality programming on tv. And I need things other than reading at times to keep my attention.

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen | 1 comments A year and a half ago, we gave up cable, but not TV in a sense. We still the internet and Netflix, so technically we are still able to watch shows whenever we feel like it, but we are not controlled by network TV and cable and we don't sit aimlessly staring at the TV screen with remote in hand wasting hours looking for something to watch. I don't miss TV much, but family does at times. I definitely read more now, and we don't have to pay for (what is essentially air and time) a large cable bill each month. I definitely think its one of the best things we ever did.

message 25: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I love TV but not brave enough to give it up as an experiment. Would like to.

message 26: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I love TV but not brave enough to give it up as an experiment. Would like to.