Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > How do you kill time at work?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Besides Goodreads, of course.

I imagine many of you working today are just waiting for the bell to ring so you can leave. So...what do you do to kill time work?

I can't imagine what people did to kill time at work before the internet. Now I usually check out my usual array of sites until I get bored with that and then I take a couple pieces of paper and walk around looking like I have a purpose. Then I see who is around to gossip. Then I turn off the lights and sleep a little. That usually does it.

message 2: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) My office consists of 3 people, so its hard to pretend to have a purpose. I have found that I am addicted to Pathwords on Facebook. I also read the celebrity gossip blogs.

message 3: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Today I'm watching movies on Netflix's watch it now page. I figure three of these and the day is done. I'm currently watching David Bowie turn into a walking skeleton in The Hunger.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Tetris or Ms. Pacman on my phone... :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I declare that I must have a latte, and take a walk over to the latte stand, and then that turns into a longer walk around the baseball fields...

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Nice! :) I want a baseball field around here.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
I work a slow loop from GR to Facebook to iSketch and back to GR. Sometimes I meander over to the AV club or IMDB.

shellyindallas I watch a lot of stuff online. Southpark, Daily Show, Colbert, 30 Rock or The Office if I've missed them. Then itunes has pretty good free podcast. Rachel Maddow is a video podcast and you can listen to last week's episodes of 60 Minutes, Bill Moyers Journal, This American Life, etc. Mostly I'm on GR, though.

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) A better question would be "How do I get any work done while I'm killing time?"

During slow times I write, read old novels on Gutenberg.org, catch up on news, read web comics, take frequent trips to the coffee machines, look up random things on Wikipedia or IMDB, the normal time wasters. If the weather's nice, I'll walk a lap around the parking lot while listening to my iPod.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Good point, Dan!

Every now and then I play the "hit the random article" tab on wikipedia five times to see what emerges. Let's try it, shall we?

1. 56th Division (Imperial Japanese Army)
2. Moabite language (an extinct Cannanite language)
3. Theodore Levin (a prominent immigration lawyer and judge)
4. Rosa Salvaje (a Mexican telenova from 1987)
5. Friends of Mongolia (a charitable organization)

message 11: by Cyril (new)

Cyril The internet has really done a lot to increase worker productivity.

message 12: by Mrsbear (new)

Mrsbear (msbear21) WOW, it must be nice to have time to kill at work, I am jealous! I listen to audiobooks or Sirius radio while I work.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to TC, Fosterman. Scary cat.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

FosterMOM, RA!

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. Fostermom. I can't f--king read lately. I keep calling people the wrong name and editing it before (I hope) they notice.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

I noticed.

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I was getting jealous too!!! I mostly just work when I'm at my desk--I do medical coding and you just sit there and code one chart after another. Everytime the phone rings I hope it's a personal call for me. But, we do get up and walk around--cafeteria, hospital gift shop, down to physical therapy to see if I've lost any weight, or just a walk to get my blood back to my brain from my feet and bottom, where it feels like it all settled. And we eat at our desks, listen to cd's--no radio reception. It's not bad really, but I never go on non-medical internet sites. If no one else is there I call people for a little break. Or we talk--ranging far and wide away from anything medical related. I enjoy that the most. Just gabbing!

message 18: by Mrsbear (new)

Mrsbear (msbear21) RA, I didnt even notice you called me the wrong name! Noah is not a scary cat he's actually very sweet and looking for a home. Interested? LOL

Leslie, I do coding too along with a million other things so I know where you are coming from with being tied to a desk. Our radio reception sucks too, I pull Sirius from the internet for my sanity.

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Do you code at a hospital or where? Outpatient or inpatient or both? Do you like it? I went to school for a year and I've been working at a hospital for four years. I really like it. We do nothing but code, that concurrent documentation. We're probably going to start working at home this summer--something to look forward to and big change!!

message 20: by Mrsbear (new)

Mrsbear (msbear21) I code for four doctors, pediatrics. I am also the office manager. I started out as an RMA and moved into the billing office two years ago. I love it. I work from home at least two days a week because I wear too many hats..LOL.
Happy Holidays

message 21: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Back when I still had a job in the summer (oh, Wachovia...), I'd spend most of my free time playing Tetris. Nothing terribly exciting...

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I like it too. I am looking forward to working from home. We will only have to be at the hospital for 2 days a month! And it's funny, because right now I drive at least 5 times a week to Sarasota--next town south, to take my daughter to school and pick her up and that is going to change too! She will get her license around the same time--so a lot will be changing and I think I'm gonna have a lot of energy and time freed up for my writing and art and just living! Instead of working and driving all the time. Another thing I love about my job is that we don't have any set time we have to be at work, so we never have to worry about being late. It really takes away the stress! We work long and short days, pretty much whatever we decide--just as long as we work 40 hours a week. I think it's a real good job!

message 23: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (shepo) I just spent all of Sunday shopping for lower insurance quotes. I really did save money with Geico! And I love Pandora Radio, work wouldn't be the same without it

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24285 comments Mod
Are you people even American? You seem European in your sloth.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Down time at work? Whassat?

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I sometimes forget Goodreads is international. Of course, some of these people could be European.

message 27: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Are you people even American? You seem European in your sloth."

Really? I feel insulted.

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments You don't look insulted.

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments My experience with Canadians and the Dutch is that they are absolutely wonderful people. If they be sloth like I will join them in their slothiness.

message 30: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments People who live in central Wisconsin are lazy hippies. We southeastern folk carry the state.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Don't make me set down my joint turn off my lava lamps get out of my bean bag chair put on my tie dyed shirt and come inflict pain upon you :-)

message 32: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I figure you're too busy protesting at the capitol to leave town...:)

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Because I will in a couple of days if I have to, after I can summon up enough energy.

message 34: by Janice (last edited Nov 01, 2011 10:17AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) I'm being a sloth today. I'm not even going into work.

message 35: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I'm mostly just pretending to work today. Too tired to think, so I figure everyone will benefit more if I don't do anything, and thus don't mess anything up. Mostly just here on TC and reading random articles on HuffPost and the like. I would really like to be a toasty sloth in my bed right now.

message 36: by Jammies (new)

Jammies On the very rare occasions when I have time to kill at work, I link-follow on Wikipedia.

message 37: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I find this thread interesting because there's a post from me in 2008. It's like time travel.

message 38: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

janine wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Are you people even American? You seem European in your sloth."

Really? I feel insulted."

Oh you know me, I just enjoy bandying the stereotypes about.

message 39: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I think Canadians are fairly sloth-like. Well, most of the ones I know are.

When I want to kill time at work, I play scrabble on my phone. I also enjoy building custom cars and computers on line and pretend to buy them.

message 40: by Louise (last edited Nov 02, 2011 04:57AM) (new)

Louise I'm at my desk most of the day, answering phones, emails and typing orders. Most days I don't have a lot of free time, but when I do I'm either on Goodreads, browsing for books on Amazon, listening to podcasts or audiobooks or reading on Gutenberg.org

message 41: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Helena wrote: "I think Canadians are fairly sloth-like. Well, most of the ones I know are.

When I want to kill time at work, I play scrabble on my phone. I also enjoy building custom cars and computers on line..."

Oh, right, if I'm being honest I have to admit I do a lot of fantasy shopping if work is slow.

message 42: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Barb wrote: "Helena wrote: "I think Canadians are fairly sloth-like. Well, most of the ones I know are."

Laid-back. The term is laid-back."

We're easy going. We don't sweat the small stuff. We take time to smell the coffee, or the roses, or both. We are driven by dog-sled teams.

message 43: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) free time??? unfamiliar with the concept.

message 44: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Work? Unfamiliar with the concept.

message 45: by Louise (new)

Louise btw we are not allowed to play any kind of games on company computers - but facebook is ok... :-)

message 46: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Barb wrote: "Helena wrote: "I think Canadians are fairly sloth-like. Well, most of the ones I know are."

Laid-back. The term is laid-back."

Yes. That’s what I meant... I was half asleep at work and couldn’t think of the term.

message 47: by James (new)

James (m0gb0y74) | 54 comments How do all you guys not get hammered by the network guys in your IT department - especially those of you watching TV shows or movies? Our network guys would hunt us down and ritually behead us in front of the entire organisation as a warning to all those tempted to misuse the organisations network bandwidth!!!!

message 48: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I suspect Canadian IT folks may be as laid back as the rest of Canada. ;)

message 49: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments James wrote: "How do all you guys not get hammered by the network guys in your IT department - especially those of you watching TV shows or movies? Our network guys would hunt us down and ritually behead us in f..."

We only have one IT guy. And he kills time by reading news articles and watching Indian music videos, so I'm not worried about his retribution.

message 50: by Lori (new)

Lori | 181 comments organizing my stuff; doing follow-up things; going outside and talking on the phone...

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.