Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

I didn't understand this part...could someone explain??

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Rosalba *spoiler* Remember when Katniss is about to shoot President Snow and then she remembers his last conversation with him and the line "My dear Miss Everdeen, I thought we had an agreement not to lie to each other" and then Katniss thinks "Yes, we did", and THEN she shoots President Coin. I didn't understand that part. What did that line and Katniss'answer have anything to do with the shooting of Coin?? If someone could please explain it to me, I would appreciate it.

message 2: by zuzanna (new) - added it

zuzanna I think it means that she knows Snow wasn't lying to her when he said that Coin sent the parachutes not him.

Paige yes, he is reminding her that she also hates coin because she killed her sister. katniss realizes that if she kills coin, then the districts will have a more peaceful leader and they will still kill snow.

Gretchen I think he is also pointing out that while we can take for granted that he does bad things he at least does not lie about them. Unlike Coin who appears good and yet does evil and lies about it.

message 5: by Kristen (last edited Apr 17, 2012 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen In that conversation Snow had just finished telling Katniss that Coin's plan was always to take Snow's place. That it was her district that started the original rebellion and then abandoned the others when it looked like they would lose.
In other words, Coin was never really out for equality and peace. She always wanted the kind of power that Snow had. The kind of power fueling the Hunger Games. So, she was never any better than he was. That she's just as evil. More so even because she hides behind the facade of being good.

And then that was confirmed for Katniss when she hears Coin say she wanted another Games with the Capitol's children.

Snow tells her that both Katniss and himself were wrong for thinking that each other was their greatest threat when it was really Coin.

Katniss didn't want to believe it because that would mean she fought for just another version of Snow. But she really did believe him and he knew it because he knows how smart she is. That's why he says "I thought we had an agreement not to lie to each other."

She thinks of that before she's about to kill him because she was looking for a sign that he was lying. Fear or remorse, but all she sees is the same look of amusement in his eyes that he had at that last conversation. Confirming that he was telling the truth.

She then kills Coin because she knew Snow was going to die one way or another, but that would be her only chance to ever kill Coin and prevent everything she just fought against from happening all over again. And everything that lead to Prim's death.

And it was a way for her to avenge Prim since Coin was the reason she died.

Ariel She figured out who the real enemy was.

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Kristen wrote: "In that conversation Snow had just finished telling Katniss that Coin's plan was always to take Snow's place. That it was her district that started the original rebellion and then abandoned the oth..."

Very well said.

Kristen thanks

Riley Boese Wait. Ok. I read this book a few weeks ago and I'm not sure if this is just me not remembering well enough but didn't it say that she killed Snow? Because she like heard his laugh and then he died or something like that? I don't remember very well but that confused me because then later she said she killed Coin. And yeah.... I'm probably just sound confusing. :/

message 10: by Nicole (last edited Apr 20, 2012 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole President Snow didn't send the parachutes; Coin did. So technically Coin killed Prim, and not Snow.

Kristen Riley wrote: "Wait. Ok. I read this book a few weeks ago and I'm not sure if this is just me not remembering well enough but didn't it say that she killed Snow? Because she like heard his laugh and then he died ..."

No, Snow died on his own from whatever disease he had at the time. I forget. But at that point he was coughing up blood (ick). Katniss only had one arrow, which she used on Coin. Snow just sort of keeled over and died during a coughing fit.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Snow died b/c his blood was toxic to him, and when she shot him it got all over his body and killed him, it said somewhere in the book that he had to take special medicine to keep from dying.

message 13: by Jack (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jack Katie (Taylor Lautner&Justin Bieber's #1 fan ;:) ) wrote: "Snow died b/c his blood was toxic to him, and when she shot him it got all over his body and killed him, it said somewhere in the book that he had to take special medicine to keep from dying."
She didn't shoot him. He died from a disease/choking to death while laughing.

Cathy I remember reading in the book that Snow would poison anyone that was running against him so that he would always stay president. He would put the poison in their food and then eat a little himself so that the victim would not realize about the poison. This is what was killing him; the medicine that he would take to counteract the poison wasn't 100%. He had sores in his mouth which bled and he wore the rose so the scent could hide the smell of blood.

Kate Kid I agree with everyone but she also tried to blame Gale for killing Prim by using HIS bombs. So she was lieing about that too. And if she was any better than Snow then she wouldn't have wanted one with the Capitol's children. Wasn't that what they were fighting for? To STOP the Hunger Games? Well personally I think Coin was worse than Snow, at least he didn't lie. Does anyone agree? If Katniss didn't kill Coin then who is to say that would be the last Hunger Games? What if she kept on going with the Capitol kid thing? It wasn't the kid's fault that the Hunger Games were their so why should they be punished for what president Snow did. It wasn't the district kids fault either but still.

Vonetta I agree Katniss*TEAM GALE*!! I think it was when Coin suggested that there be a Hunger Games for Capital children was when everything clicked for Katniss. She finally saw Coin for the evil she truly was. When Katniss agreed and voted along to go along with it, I believe she had made up her mind right then and there to take Coin out!

message 17: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill Aztec Yes. She voted for it so she would not be suspected.

Karissa Magana mmmm, but there was another thing that wasn't so so clear to me
which was, what did the capitol do to finnick and haymitch after the hunger games? was it done to all of the victors?

Melody When Finnick won the Hunger Games, President Snow threatened to kill his family and friends if he didn't become a prostitute for the capitol citizens. Haymitch was also threatened with the death of his family and his girlfriend but he didn't believe him. President Snow killed them.

Karissa Magana and that's why he's always drunk?

Melody Karissa wrote: "and that's why he's always drunk?"

Yes. When Snow killed his family and girlfriend, he turned to drinking.

Kristen I thought they killed Haymitch's family because he figured out the thing about the force field and used it to kill the other tribute when he won. And the Capitol took that like they did with Katniss and the berries.

Melody Kristen wrote: "I thought they killed Haymitch's family because he figured out the thing about the force field and used it to kill the other tribute when he won. And the Capitol took that like they did with Katnis..."

Maybe it was? I'm not too sure but that's what I thought.

Kristen Yeah, and then he became a drunk and the Capitol had no leverage over him anymore to make him do what they wanted, but they couldn't kill him either because it might start a rebellion, so he sort of has a free pass after that. But of course he's miserable...

Karissa Magana It was beedee that figured out d forcefield thing

MightyMoose Beetee had a plan to mess with the force field in the Quarter Quell but Haymitch had used the force field as a weapon to win during his time in the Hunger Game.

Kristen There were probably at least a few people who knew about the force field, actually. But yeah, I was referring to when Haymitch used it in the Games he was in. I don't think he understood all about it the way Beetee did, but he figured out that things would bounce off of it.

Karissa Magana No,remembr he ws d one dt electrocuted evryone,beetee i mean
He ws d one dt told katniss how to look for forcefields,he nd dt other girl,i 4gt his name
D girl dt kept saying "tick tock"

Andrew Like all people in Politics... there are various levels of scum-bags. You kind of have to choose the lesser evil sometimes. ;)

Amber It says that the beautiful and popular were used as prostitutes. Johanna's family was killed because she refused, Haymitches because he had figured out how to use the forcefield and they wanted to punish him. He was not handsome enough to offer as a toy so he was left to be miserable and alone. Message 5 by Kristen is a good explination of Katniss/Snow conversations. Beetee and Wiress pointed the "chink" in the forcefield for the current QQ and Beetee came up with the idea of using it against the Games. Katniss shooting Coin was not premetated as she did not know she was going to do it until all the pieces fell together and she raised the bow. This is a Trilogy I will read again to answer more question for myself. :)

Andrew Amber wrote: "It says that the beautiful and popular were used as prostitutes. Johanna's family was killed because she refused, Haymitches because he had figured out how to use the forcefield and they wanted to..."

I think Kat realized that Coin would end up being the SAME or WORSE than Snow at the end. Loved the series of books. It took me a while to read but had people bugging me to read it for years before the film ever even a thought. :) I am glad I finally did.

Samantha If Katniss didn't end up shooting Coin, the Hunger Games, but with the Capitol's children, would continue.....which would mean more sequels!! yayy....lol jkkk

message 33: by Harold (last edited May 03, 2012 08:21PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Harold Smithson I'm confused about something else. How did President Snow die? I mean, he just kind of...died. Can someone tell me the exact cause?

Kristen He had some disease, and in the confusion and hysteria that erupted when Katniss killed Coin, he died. She said no one was sure if he just kind of keeled over from coughing or if he was trampled.

Melody He either choked on his own blood (from the poison) or he was trampled by the crowd. (maybe both)

message 36: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Yes but Boggs warned her about Coin when he died and transferred the hollow to Katniss, he said, "Don't go back. Don't trust them. Kill Peeta." Boggs knew that Coin was corrupt also.

Rusty Katniss shot Coin because she realized that Coin was just as much of a tyrant as Snow only she had no be given the same chance to become as depraved as Snow, but she was next in line for control of Panem. This is evident from her suggestion that the have a final hunger games to satisfy the revenge of all the districts. Katniss voted yes(seemed to go against her own disdain for the games), for two reasons. One to put Coin at ease and two to set her up for the assassination. As far as Snow's last conversation with Katniss think about the context. He was captured awaiting trial and eventual execution. He had no reason to lie about the bombs that killed Prim. Even if he had not of died after she shot Coin. He would have been executed shortly after. Coin is fully to blame for Prim's death. She allowed Prim to be placed on the front lines. Surely snow was using the children as a line of defense so the mansion wouldn't be bombed. Coin sacrificed the children knowing Prim and possibly Katniss would be killed in the bombing. Coin and Snow were two sides of the same "coin" I couldn't resist the pun.

Linda in the Hunger Games series when people shoot each other it makes me upset and when Katniss {Catnip} shot Coin I started to cry.

message 39: by Gigi (last edited Nov 21, 2013 04:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gigi Elizabeth wrote: "yes, he is reminding her that she also hates coin because she killed her sister. katniss realizes that if she kills coin, then the districts will have a more peaceful leader and they will still kil..." I don't think he means he hates Coin I think that he only means that he didn't lie about the parachutes. I hated the part were katniss is crying on the phone to her mother. tear,tear.(My heart ripping in half)

message 40: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill Aztec Linda wrote: "in the Hunger Games series when people shoot each other it makes me upset and when Katniss {Catnip} shot Coin I started to cry."

I suggest you don't read history or current events.

message 41: by Anne (new)

Anne Marie Well, I think that he was poiting out that Coin did send the parachutes with thebombs, and that they had promised not to lie to each other which was pointing out that he wasn't lying to her. I think that he knew that he would die anyways, but he was probably hoping that if he went down, Coin would go down with him.

Sierra Cathy wrote: "I remember reading in the book that Snow would poison anyone that was running against him so that he would always stay president. He would put the poison in their food and then eat a little himsel..."
Thank you Cathy! I always wondered why Katniss smelled a mix of roses and blood on him. Like, when she said his breath smelled of blood, it really freaked me out, but now I understand it. I also now understand why the roses were chemically enhanced to smell better than they would on their own.

Sierra I think if Snow had killed Prim and all of the other children with the parachute bombs, he would have taken credit it for it or owned up to it.

Like he said, he and Katniss had an agreement not to lie to each other.

He wasn't telling Katniss that Coin did it so that Katniss would spare his life. He knew he was going to die anyways, so why not tell the truth about Coin.

He knew enough about Katniss to know that she could figure about what was the truth and what wasn't.

Autumn Raine Kristen wrote: "In that conversation Snow had just finished telling Katniss that Coin's plan was always to take Snow's place. That it was her district that started the original rebellion and then abandoned the oth..."

BEST EXPLANATION EVER.

Amelie In one of the final chapters, Katniss meets president Snow in the rose garden, where he also says the exact same thing: he makes it clear to her that whilst Snow himself was the ultimate villain, Katniss should't think there is no more darkness in the world: Coin is doing the exact same thing: whilst Snow is pure kapitalism, Coin is communism: both aren't good at all; Coin wants to rule too, maybe even be the dictator.
For instance, when she has to vote for the Games with Capitol children, Katniss says yes, and so does Haymitch: they both know that Coin can do everything to them now, and they have to befriend her. But Katniss, I think, also realises that she could never kill Snow if she doesn't vote yes.
Just before the assassination, Katniss realises that she could kill Snow, but that he would be killed no matter what: it is a lot wiser to kill Coin, and prevent another war and many deaths of innocent people again: the Games won't go on eather, just as she wished. Of course, she does think about how she basically killed Prim, and that's just prove of that Coin really IS the same: she uses children to warn others, to show power to the people that aren't as powerfull as her, just like Snow killed Haymitch's family etc.

message 46: by Mario (new)

Mario Ivanov Well, when Snow met Katniss in the end he told her that it was Coin who ordered the bombings not the Capitol, hence, she was responsible for Prim's death. Then Katniss decided to kill Alma because she killed Prim and so many people in the whole rebellion. And since Snow was a dead man anyway he did not have any reason to lie to Katniss

message 47: by Dr. Dawn (new)

Dr. Dawn While rebellion is often necessary to establish or restore liberty, the motives of all rebels are not the same. Coin was just as obsessed with power as Snow. Also, it is valuable to discuss this movie in a much wider context of current and historical events...

The deployment of parachute bombs to make the people think that Snow killed their children is a common method used by Gov'ts (including our own) and is termed a "False Flag"...

For those unfamiliar with this, here is a link that explains False Flag terrorism and its use by Gov'ts to manipulate their own people or the people of other countries. http://pledgeforamerica.com/2.html

Jacquelyn Rosalba wrote: "*spoiler* Remember when Katniss is about to shoot President Snow and then she remembers his last conversation with him and the line "My dear Miss Everdeen, I thought we had an agreement not to lie ..."

Snow was trying to make the point that Coin was going to be just as bad as himself. He knew that her own ambition was going to turn into greed just like his had. Katniss came to the realization that Coin needed to die because she had always seen the similarities but thought Coin was the lesser of two evils in this regard. But when face-to-face with both of them, she knew that if she didn't kill Coin, nothing would ever improve and Snow would die no matter what because he had lost all of his supporters.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I just want to add two interpretations of symbolism to this very enlightening thread. When Coin asks if they should hold a 76th hunger games, Katniss answers involves an element of telling Coin what she wants hear, a “yes” for revenge. Katniss is the mockingjay, a bird that repeats whatever you sing to it, in that moment. Mockingjays are a hybrid of jabberjays, which were used to manipulate the enemy during the last uprising. I think that is an element of what Katniss does in the moment she agrees to another hunger games. Also, we are told that President Snow has sores in his mouth that won’t heal. That can be a symbol that the whole system of Panem is falling from within; it is a system that is unsustainable. Snow will die by his own lies, just as his government will. He is trying to keep the system looking fresh and vital, but the attempt fails. The roses can be seen as an allegory for this, the roses are genetically enhanced, and the smell is unnatural. The bud, a representation of life, is manipulated, and is in a way an illusion.

message 50: by Anmol (last edited May 13, 2016 07:35AM) (new)

Anmol Even if Katniss did want another Hunger Games it was because she was mentally unstable because of the death of Prim. But Coin's intentions were wrong. And you never know if Coin installed another tracking device in Katniss' hands while she was operated after the Quarter Quell. I think Coin never wanted to kill Prim or the children or the other medics, she wanted to kill Katniss (she could track Katniss). Because she did think Katniss was an obstacle in her road to glory (just a headcannon).

« previous 1