Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What else is there to drink this time of year?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
Besides nog? Nog and bourbon is all we drank this weekend, periodically interspersing a Claret or a Cab.
Are there any other fantastic holiday drinks I should be considering?

What about your favorite Christmas cookie? My grandma makes this fudge-like substance called Divinity - it seems to be egg whites and powdered sugar. It is amazing, but I've never even tried to make it.

I also love these peanuts covered in melted chocolate that my mom makes. Again, not so great if I make them, they have to be snatched from someone else's counter.

I'm not so much on those anise-flavored wafer things people like to bring.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hot Buttered Rum, Sally! You can make your own mix with vanilla ice cream, brown sugar, butter and spices, or you can buy it premade at the grocery store.
Put two big spoonfuls of the mix in a mug, add a shot of rum (or more), and then pour a cup of boiling water on top and stir.

My favorite Christmas cookies are the traditional decorated sugar cookies, in holiday shapes. They are mostly sugar and butter held together with a little flour, with frosting on top.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

That sounds good, Jackie. In this Bergman movie Wild Strawberries (?) she makes him a Hot Toddy after he falls in a pond and I always imagined it would taste something like that.

I made some sugar cookies like that this year. They were super light and flaky. I used star shapes, and then had the idea of stacking them up into christmas trees with green icing holding them together. It was a really cute gift, but a bit hard to eat, I discovered. My problem with sugar cookies is I can never be patient enough to let the icing set before trying to layer on the next color, and they end up all running together.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hahahahahahahaha!!! I love the Christmas cookie tree story, Sally!
Uh, layers of colors on the cookies? My cookies are only one color a cookie. They get eaten too quickly to get elaborate with, anyhow.

Another good holiday drink is hot spiced cider, with cinnamon sticks if you've got them.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh yes, that is nice. One year we bought a bottle of Tuaca to put in the spiced cider at our game night.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 22, 2008 09:03PM) (new)

Porters and Stouts are on tap everywhere in the Winter! About August, I start anticipating all the guest taps that start arriving in PDX in late Fall.

Boddington's Cream Ale, too. Mmmmmmmm.....

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh yes, heavenly.

There is this awesome chocolate porter from a brewery in St. Louis, I wish I could remember the name.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) I'm partial to Leinenkugel Christmas Ale this time of year. Boddington's Cream Ale is good. I also like Wexler's.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Where's Shelly....she knows a lot about beer...

I've been drinking that Leinenkugel's, Dan!

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) We do a 12 Beers of Christmas beer exchange at work. The Leinenkugel Christmas Ale was probably the best one I got this year.

shellyindallas Seasonal Christmas beers are the best! Anchor xmas is diff every year and the brewery even encourages you to sit on it for awhile. The flavors tend to mellow out after a couple of years. If you can get your hands on a '05, '06 or '07 (and you're a beer drinker), you should snatch it up.

There are also some good coffee porters/stouts out there this time of year. Red Hook, Rogue, and my favorite: Lagunitas.

If you like Hoppy Beers Sierra Nevada Celebration is good.

And then this is the time of year when Barley-wines are out. Super sweet and high in alcohol they are made for sipping. They're dessert beers, almost like ports. Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Avery, Young's and my favorite: Victory, all make a good barley wine.

I love egg-nog, though. We usually blend it w/ Brandy. The other night at a friend's I had it w/ Amaretto which was also good. I've also had it w/ spiced rum (yummm.). I bet it's really good w/ some gingerbread syrup--like a Monin or Torani. I love bourbon, though. I'm going to use that this xmas.

If you've got a sweet tooth, a good chocolate tini is always fun. I like to use a vanilla vodka and bailey's. You could always add creme de menthe to make it minty.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

New Belgium makes a really expensive beer that comes in 20 oz bottles - I think it is called Trippel. Anyway, it is super potent and I wonder if it is a barley wine.

I have about three bottles of brandy I use to sometimes make sangria - I think I'll use those to make some new flavored nog.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Young's Chocolate Stout is the delicious beer from England that comes in tall purple cans.

message 14: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) I got a Young's in the beer exchange and drank it a few days ago. It was good. Schlafly and Sam Adams both make premium beers that cost ten bucks a bottle.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh Schafly has a wonderful stout/porter caloric deliciousness.

shellyindallas Yeah, Young's Chocolate Stout is good, too. New Belgium Trippel isn't a barley wine, it's, literally, a "Triple." It's fashioned after traditional Belgian tripels which use 3X the amount of malt. This makes the beer sweeter, the sweeter the beer the higher the alcohol content.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

That's not it then. This beer is over in a completely different case than the rest of the beers, up with wines and such. I always forget its name.

message 18: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments The Best Damn Eggnog You'll Ever Have. Ever.

Ingredients:
1 lb. powered sugar
16 eggs - separated
1 tsp. vanilla
1 qt. half & half
1 pt. heavy whipping cream
1 qt good whiskey (note, this is a quart - not a liter or 750 ml)
1 pt. dark rum
1 pt. light rum

Also needed: Large crock or other large container (I use a 5 gallon crock for this recipe and it's barely large enough), whisk, electric beater.

Separate the yolks from the egg whites. IMPORTANT - do not allow any yolk to contaminate the egg whites.

Cool a mixing bowl in the freezer.

In a large container (not the mixing bowl above), combine the egg yolks and powered sugar. Stir (don't beat) to incorporate the yolks and sugar. Add the vanilla.

S-L-O-O-O-W-L-Y add the whiskey to the yolk/sugar/vanilla mixture stirring constantly in one direction. Don't forget to take an occasional sip of the whiskey to ensure quality products.

Do the same for the rum, adding it slowly and constantly stirring. You're not trying to beat this mixture into submission. You can curdle the yolks (thus ruining the nog) if you add the liquor too fast, or stir to hard.

When the alcohol is totally incorporated, add the half & half - slowly stirring it into the mixture.

Let this mixture set, stirring occasionally, while you do the next steps.

Put the egg whites in the clean mixing bowl from the freezer (or fridge), Beat the hell out of the egg whites until they are stiff. Make sure you don't leave any runny egg whites in the bottom of the bowl. (Note: if the bowl and beaters aren't clean, you'll have a devil of a time beating egg whites. Cooling the bowl before using it helps reduce the amount of time needed to beat the egg whites until stiff.)

Add the egg whites to the mixture, a little at a time, stirring in one direction. This will double the volume of the original mixture. Take your time adding and stirring.

Next, beat the whipping cream until stiff. You can use the same bowl as you used for egg whites. Unlike egg whites, the whipping cream doesn't care if it's in a clean bowl, although a cool/cold bowl does help.

Add the whipping cream to the mixture stirring in one direction. It will take time to stir down the mixture when adding the beaten egg whites and the whipped cream. Take your time. It will be worth it in the end.

Draw a cup, sprinkle a little nutmeg on top and enjoy. Always remember to stir the mixture well before pouring. Store in a cool place.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh god, Logan. It is going to take me forever to clean all this drool out from inside my keyboard!

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Dec 23, 2008 04:20PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Hot Buttered Rum is different than a Hot Toddy (which is bourbon or brandy, tea, and honey) but I like both! Hot Toddys (Toddies?) are a MUST if you have a cold.

I like egg nog but can only have it in small doses because it's too thick. I did have an egg nog shake the other day that was good, though.

I also like making hot cocoa and stirring it with a candy cane. Candy canes are also good in a mocha, but usually I want my coffee to taste like coffee.

message 21: by Heidi (last edited Dec 23, 2008 11:31AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments When I was in high school, a neighbor of ours from Denmark would always bring over some Glogg, or Danish mulled wine. It was red wine with "stuff" (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, orange peels, raisins and almonds) in it, and they'd warm it on the stove... smelled heavenly, warmed the insides somethin' fierce. It makes the drinker really happy, too!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a happy drinker!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I had a Rogue Chocolate Stout, tonight. Yummmm....

I'm not usually one for sweet drinks, but during the holidays, I make an exception. I love Brandy Alexanders. They taste so Christmasy, with brandy, dark creme de cacao, half- and-half and nutmeg.

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

I have those ingredients! Kick ass!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

And listen to this while you make it, Sally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMGq_6...

message 26: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Thank you, Sarah! I've always wondered what's in a Brandy Alexander and now I can't wait to try one!

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Oooooh... I completely forgot about Brandy Alexanders..
Yeah, that is a really good holiday drink.
Or anytime drink.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm gonna have to look for some of that chocolate stout. It sounds delicious.

message 29: by Heidi (last edited Dec 26, 2008 06:26AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments My cousin introduced me to Eggnog and Catdaddy moonshine over the Thanksgiving holiday. The Catdaddy has a bit of nutmeg spice in it. He stirred us all a cocktail with just a couple of tablespoons of Catdaddy mixed in with the nog and it sure had plenty of punch to it. Apparently, the only place he's found the Catdaddy is Virginia. I don't know if it's sold anywhere else. It's certainly not here.

message 30: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Brandy Alexanders were always one of my favorite drinks to make when I bartended.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.