Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive Stuff > Random Books that you just didn't 'get'...

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Cusick-Jones (MelC-J) We've all had them - the wtf books - tell us about any you've come across....

message 2: by Melanie (last edited Apr 17, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

Melanie Cusick-Jones (MelC-J) This thread was inspired by a post on Zombicorns by John Green - it made me laugh and say wtf, just from the title and cover :)

Michael Cargill Cargill (MichaelCargill) | 372 comments The Dark Tower book(s) by Stephen King.

It just bored me.

Weird as I love his stuff for the most part.

message 4: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

Emily V (XEmilyX) | 687 comments Mod
Sunshine by Robin McKinley - she's kidnapped by a vamp and then there's loads of random fights which I have no clue what was about. Pointless really.
Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate - what was the fight at the end about???

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Cusick-Jones (MelC-J) Emily wrote: "Sunshine by Robin McKinley - she's kidnapped by a vamp and then there's loads of random fights which I have no clue what was about. Pointless really.
Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate - what was the fight at the end ab..."

I'd have put that book back on the shelf when i saw a character named sunshine, I can just about handle that kind of thing in glee world, but nowhere else :)

message 6: by Christi (new)

Christi (-_-Lola-_-) | 32 comments The Good Master  by Kate Seredy

I didn't get it....they take in a cuz who is mean. Teach her to be good and then return her. Or keep her? (I don't remember this book very well. It was that bad.)

message 7: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

Melanie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Sunshine by Robin McKinley - she's kidnapped by a vamp and then there's loads of random fights which I have no clue what was about. Pointless really.
Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate - what was the figh..."

It was actually a really disturbing book, misleading title! My friend gave me a stack of books Sunshine included with the instruction to read them and who was I to argue?

Michael Cargill Cargill (MichaelCargill) | 372 comments I remember reading about the Zombicorn book on someone's blog - http://booksnobbery.wordpress.com/201...

There are no unicorns in it!

message 9: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

Well that's stupid

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Cusick-Jones (MelC-J) I just read the review - book sounds nuts (or corn-cultivating-crazy) and tbh the reviewer hankering after a zombie-unicorn might be a few cobs short...

I love the idea of seeing you review this on your blog Emily:

Overall: 0/5
Cover: 2/5

Zombicorns by John Green

Review: It's stupid

message 11: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

Haha that looks like it would be hilarious to rant about!

message 12: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Waters (hayleywaters) | 53 comments Zombicorns was confusing but I just loved it because I couldn't take it seriously!

message 13: by Tony (new)

Tony Talbot | 39 comments Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Took me half the book to discover it was the same story told from multiple viewpoints, all slightly overlapping. By then, I didn't care.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Cusick-Jones (MelC-J) Ahhh - my hat goes off to you as at least you've read it - I've read the first 50 pages every couple of years since I was 19 and always give up - you must be more sympathetic than me as I gave up caring very quickly :)

Although I do like the idea of randomly editing work reports people submit to me by removing all the adjectives or words beginning with 't' - just to make the day go faster ;)

message 15: by Tony (last edited Apr 28, 2012 01:37AM) (new)

Tony Talbot | 39 comments Although I do like the idea of randomly editing work reports people submit to me by removing all the adjectives or words beginning with 't' - just to make the day go faster ;)

..that's part of the plot of Misery :-) - the captured writers typewriter keeps dropping letters.

He has o edi work ha looks like his.

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Cusick-Jones (MelC-J) lol - I'd forgotten about it in Misery

I was thinking about the hospital at the start of C22 when they get to edit the letters...I may have to suck it up and finish it this year - I can do it!

One of my biggest wtf books was Ulysses - I don't care how many times people tell me about the brilliance of it - I just couldn't get interested in anything much to do with it and it didn't even get more interesting when they hit the beach...

message 17: by Tony (new)

Tony Talbot | 39 comments I had problems with

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

...first grade grammar errors and in places nothing more than random sentences strung together: "The snow fell, nor did it cease to fall."

Must do better.

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Cusick-Jones (MelC-J) That sounds pants - is it intentional or just rubbish?

message 19: by Tony (last edited May 02, 2012 01:40PM) (new)

Tony Talbot | 39 comments I think it's supposed to be intentional, but it's really just rubbish. How anyone can give such a terribly written story a good review is beyond me.

message 20: by Tony (new)

Tony Talbot | 39 comments I also had trouble with

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

There were four pages - at least - of nothing but numbers and nothing in the book worked for me at all until the last twenty pages.

message 21: by Christi (last edited May 02, 2012 03:10PM) (new)

Christi (-_-Lola-_-) | 32 comments Another...

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (rack) by Avi

I got to page 1....then I stopped and thought, Can a book bore you into not reading it? Apparently. I should read it for school. (We do a Battle of the Books, where we play Jeopardy until one team wins. My team was victorious last year! Somehow this book made it onto the List.)

message 22: by Lucy Qhuay (new)

Lucy Qhuay The Hollow (The Hollow, #1) by Jessica Verday This book was so boring!! :S
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks There was a lot to explain and Mr Sparks didn't do it. I hate when I am left like "What was going on here?"
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Another boring book.

message 23: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

I've heard good things about all of those, sorry they were disapointing

message 24: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Cusick-Jones (MelC-J) I quite liked Memoirs of a Geisha - but then I usually like historical fiction. Off to try watching Inception - perhaps it will be a wtf film?

message 25: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

Melanie wrote: "I quite liked Memoirs of a Geisha - but then I usually like historical fiction. Off to try watching Inception - perhaps it will be a wtf film?"

Ooo I loved that film but it was most definitely a very confusing film!

message 26: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Zombicorns??!! x

message 27: by Tony (new)

Tony Talbot | 39 comments Melanie wrote: "I quite liked Memoirs of a Geisha - but then I usually like historical fiction. Off to try watching Inception - perhaps it will be a wtf film?"

Inception is great. I love films that leave you guessing and don't always answer all of your questions!

message 28: by Kirsteen (new)

Kirsteen (kirsteenbb) Anyone read The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana? The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco Too weird. Shame cause it had a lot of potential but it just completely lost the plot towards the end...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Zombicorns (other topics)
Sunshine (other topics)
Fallen (other topics)
The Good Master (other topics)
Catch-22 (other topics)
More...