The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century The World Is Flat discussion

globalization

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ihabhatoum (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Ihabhatoum An insightful book. It sketches the inspiring encounters of friedman all over the world with leaders and innovatros. Although some of the analysis might be "new" theories to describe the history, with no doubt, the book sheds light on the globalization and its effects.Interviews with Bill gates, with the new Indian entrepeneurs , the overview of wal mart supply chain and the daily chats with friedman 's baber gives us a complete overview of globalization and its effect on us

message 2: by Lasairfiona (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lasairfiona I think this book is late. Very late. If this had been printed five or ten years ago, it would deserve the hype it has gotten (okay, not ten because much of the stuff hadn't happened yet). What bugs me is that globalization has had an effect on us for years now. Haven't people recognized it? Do they need a history book to tell them what is going on in their lives right now?

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim The book may be late, but nobody else wrote it first. Americans have been (and largely remain) in denial of the unstoppable avalanche of globalization. Maybe we should have had our skis on earlier, but at least this book describes the snow.

Melissa And I think Friedman shows us how to be a part of that globalization which so many have been and are still resisting and resenting. There's room for all of us in the world of business.

message 5: by Willy (new) - added it

Willy The boook is rather disappointing in the internet-only approach on globalization. I've been on the first row to see that it takes more than internet to successfully offshore activities.
Chapter 4 poses some very interesting questions; such as 'what's the social responsibility of a multinational?'. I do hope the subsequent pages provide some suggestions, or furhter insight.

ve read the first part, about the flattening mechanisms,