Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Adding Book Cover Art

Comments Showing 1-50 of 181 (181 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Northern (new)

Northern K Sunderland | 1 comments I am trying to add some book cover art to a few books I've seen without. I have found the correct cover art on google, and am wondering how to add it to a book.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I've just been saving the picture to my computer and then uploading the file. You have to make sure that the photo is not copyrighted though.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Once the file is on your computer, you go to the book's page. In the little box full of information you click the edit link. On the top right is an upload file button. Click that and then select the photo of the cover. Then, click the upload photo button. The image will then appear as the book's cover. Sometimes editing the photo is needed to make it fit properly, sometimes it fits just fine without any editing.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44215 comments Mod
You have to make sure that the photo is not copyrighted though.

Uploading a book cover is pretty clearly fair use, so copyright is not an issue. Uploading an author photo would require that the image not be copyrighted, or be used with permission.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Oh, thats good to know Rivka... Thanks.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44215 comments Mod
There was a fairly intense debate in Feedback a year or so back on the topic. ;) Three pages condensed down to two sentences! :D

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) rivka wrote: "There was a fairly intense debate in Feedback a year or so back on the topic. ;) Three pages condensed down to two sentences! :D"

Ah, well thank you for the abridged version! ;)

message 8: by q (new)

q | 15 comments wikimedia.com thinks they're fair use as long as they're not high resolution. And they have lawyers and stuff.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that several of my book covers had changed. Either Amazon had updated or someone had uploaded a newer image. (All the ones I saw this with were Penguin Classics.) I've been finding the other cover images, creating new copies of the books, leaving the ISBNs blank, and noting the ISBNs in the descriptions. Here are examples of an older cover and a newer cover.

Is this the best way to handle it? If so, is there perhaps a better way on the horizon?

message 9: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments That's exactly the way it's done!

I don't know of any planned fixes in the near future though...

message 10: by q (new)

q | 15 comments vicki_girl wrote: "That's exactly the way it's done!"

Good to know. :) It's a bit tedious, but worth it to see the right covers when I bring up my list of books.

message 11: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 189 comments I like to have the right covers, too! ;-)

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex (little_alex) I know it's nothing any of us can change, but wouldn't it just make more sense to allow for multiple cover images for one isbn instead?

message 13: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Alex wrote: "I know it's nothing any of us can change, but wouldn't it just make more sense to allow for multiple cover images for one isbn instead?"

GR plans to add this at some point (at least last I heard, they were) but it's way far down on the to-do list.

message 14: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 47 comments Can anybody add correct cover art to a book or do you have to be a librarian? I'd love to add the art to my funny copy of The Transit of Venus by Shirley Hazzard if it's possible. It looks like a lurid romance. Thanks.

message 15: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 47 comments Can anybody add cover art or do you have to be a librarian? I'd love to add the funny cover of my copy of The Transit of Venus, isbn 0-872-16859-x. Thanks.

message 16: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments A librarian has to do it. However, if you post a link to it, somone should get to it fairly quickly.

message 17: by Daisy (last edited Aug 14, 2010 07:21PM) (new)

Daisy  | 47 comments Thanks. Post it here? In this thread?

http://www.amazon.com/Transit-Venus-S...

I hope that works. There are two photos, one better than the other.

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 25343 comments Done Daisy.

message 19: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 47 comments Ooh, thank you very much.

message 20: by Dick (new)

message 21: by Sandra (last edited Aug 14, 2010 11:11PM) (new)

Sandra | 25343 comments Done Dick, also combined & described.

message 23: by Nada (new)

Nada (nada-sadek) | 1077 comments Covers added!

message 24: by Molly (new)

Molly Hansen (mohansen) | 4 comments Thanks!

message 25: by Ibis3 (new)

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily 💋 (milylou) | 5 comments Can't you get sued for using someones art/image/picture. I don't know this is just a guess. I've always thought you can get sued if you don't own the image. Does anyone know???

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily 💋 (milylou) | 5 comments I found this nice picture that I want to use on the front cover of my book, but I won't use it because I'm thinking that I will probably get sued. Its a pic I found on the web.

message 28: by Paula (last edited Dec 11, 2011 09:15AM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Book covers fall under the fair usage rule and are fine to use.

What is not fine is posting a photo of an author ( or other )when you do not have the authors permission, the photographers permission or explicit or implied consent to use

Edit:Emily: If you want to use a picture on the cover of a book you have written then you probably would get sued without contacting the owner etc for copyright but I am not a lawyer

message 29: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 64 comments Could a kind librarian out there please add the cover for this book?

Here's the cover: http://www.readerofthestack.com/cover...

And here's the book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32...

Thanks!

message 30: by Scott (new)

Scott | 22314 comments Got it.

message 31: by Robert (new)

Robert Haney (robhaney) | 6 comments Wetweb
Hello, will you please add the cover for this book:
cover art can be found at Smashwords or B&N

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wetwe...

Thanks

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Done,

Are all the books on this author profile yours?

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
If not post back and some one will disambiguate.

If you want to claim your author profile use this link

http://www.goodreads.com/author/confi...

message 33: by Robert (new)

Robert Haney (robhaney) | 6 comments Wow that was fast. Thanks..
I am only Wetweb. Birdhouses etc. all belong to other Robert Haneys. I will use the author profile as you suggest. Thanks!
Rob

message 34: by Mitchel (new)

Mitchel | 2 comments Would love to get two covers added to current listings on the site:

"Is the Coffee Fresh?" by Marc Renson
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

"History and Haunts of the Stanley Hotel" by Rebecca Pittman
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

Cover images are on the main page of the publisher and can be saved with a right-click:
http://www.23house.com

Thanks so much - the help is greatly appreciated!

message 35: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Books have covers now.

message 36: by Mitchel (new)

Mitchel | 2 comments vicki_girl wrote: "Books have covers now."

Many thanks... you rock!

message 37: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 45 comments Would you please add the cover art to:

ISBN 9780983517801

Image is here.

Amazon page here.

Many thanks in advance!

message 38: by Joe (new)

Joe (joereaves) | 28 comments Leah wrote: "Would you please add the cover art to:

ISBN 9780983517801

Image is here.

Amazon page here.

Many thanks in advance!"

Done. If you could link to goodreads page for the book instead of just giving the ISBN in future it would be helpful.

message 39: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 45 comments Joereaves wrote: Done. If you could link to goodreads page for the book instead of just giving the ISBN in future it would be helpful."

Joe, sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know.

message 40: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 45 comments Hiya! Here's another one...

The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson needs a cover. ISBN 9781407230917 Published in 2002 by Gollancz (First published in 1956) 201 pages.

The correct cover is here.

Please note: Those two pages are two different ISBNs with different publication years and pages.

Many thanks!

message 41: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 45 comments It seems I'm on a roll tonight...

The Dark Side: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural by Guy de Mauppassant ISBN 0747406189. Published in 1990, Reprinted in 1991, in Cardinal by Sphere Books Ltd. Originally Published in 1989 by Xanadu Publications Ltd. Paperback 252 pages. [The Goodreads details don't match up.]

The cover image can be found here (it's JPG format).

I appreciate your help!

message 42: by Nenangs (last edited Dec 21, 2011 10:32PM) (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments cover image of the dark side uploaded.

not sure about the other details though.

message 43: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 | 358 comments Nenangs wrote: "cover image of the dark side uploaded.

not sure about the other details though."

I uploaded my version over yours, sorry. =P Had photoshop and was able to crop, de-noise, and auto-tone the image to make it a better quality.

message 44: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments no problem.
better quality always preferable.

message 45: by Matt (new)

Matt Weston (mattweston) | 29 comments Hi, I'm just wondering if someone would be so kind as to add cover art for this edition of this book? The cover is the exactly the same as this edition.

Thank you so much in advance!

message 46: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 25343 comments 45 done

message 47: by Matt (new)

Matt Weston (mattweston) | 29 comments So speedy! Thank you!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I've tried updating the paperback version Also I can't change the cover art on the paperback http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12... (paperback) with the new cover art but it says I don't have permission, please help.

message 49: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Has the paperback been published with the original cover? We don,t change covers since people like to shelve the cover they bought an alternate cover edition should be added if the new cover edition does not have its own ISBN.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes it was published with the original cover so I will try and add the new coverart instead of trying to change it.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.