Magick Talks... discussion

Promethea

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fredstrong (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Fredstrong | 4 comments I was never a graphic novel kind of guy, and then a friend of mine turned me onto Promethea, by Alan Moore. I've read all 5 volumes and it blew me away. Promethea is a personification of the imagination, which is, of course, a key to magick. Moore really used the medium to explore certain concepts that would have been quite difficult with traditional prose. Promethea climbs the Tree, gets initiated into each of the Sephiroth, and crosses the abyss. She is a sort of superhero as well, and there are goetic villains, among others. Very entertaining read, I highly recommend it.

message 2: by Navid (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Navid | 10 comments Mod
Hi
thanks you for the info but it would be better if you explain more about the main idea and the subject.

thanks again

message 3: by Fredstrong (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Fredstrong | 4 comments I have been trying to summarize, and erasing what I've written for a while now. I can't give a decent idea of it in any concise manner. So I am taking the easy way out and posting a link here. I highly recommend checking it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promethea

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim Pendry (timpendry) Promethea is a remarkable achievement and I highly recommend it.

In a way, it is a comic book for esoteric insiders with remarkable shifts in graphic style throughout and some moments of startling bravery in tackling difficult 'spiritual' issues. I do not blame Fredstrong at all for finding it difficult to express its content in words because the hidden references and the graphics take it a step beyond usual narrative.

The effect of manga on my kids is similar and I suspect that a new generation is emerging that thinks as much in images as words. They will read and re-read the same text over and over again in order to incorporate it into themselves and then use it as a basis for rehearsing their own ideas of right and wrong. As learning tools, the nearest analogy that I can think of is medieval church art - only extended for page after page.

Reading Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius series from the 1960s recently, I can see why he is claimed to be an influence on Moore but I can also see how his early fantasy begs to be drawn and that, ultimately, the first two books at least are 'failed experiments' because they are tied to the printed page. Promethea gives a hint of the potential for graphic literature once it can begin to move away from the adolescent themes necessary for its initial marketplace.

What those without some esoteric learning might feel that they need is a guide and it would be good one day to have an 'annotated' version - but the story line and the graphics do stand on their own. Anyway, as you can tell, I am an enthusiast and I think it is Alan Moore's finest work since his classic British dystopian tale 'V for Vendetta'.

message 5: by Mustafa (new)

Mustafa Al-Laylah (hierophage) | 3 comments Having been a big fan of Moore's comics for most of my adult life I can say that Promethea was a stunning achievement on its author's part.

Primarily because by the end of the series he really is writing for magician's who read comics rather than comic collectors who may be ambivalent toward esotericism. This move alienated a lot of that title's readership, but Moore seemed not to care - the stories and art continued to fascinate and enthrall.

As a magician who enjoys comics I enjoyed Promethea immensely. However, I suspect the bar will be raised once Moore releases his graphic novel/grimoire and Tarot deck "The Bumper Book of Magick".