Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Request

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina Stind (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Christina Stind | 60 comments Hey all,
Could some kind-hearted librarian with time to spare please correct the hardcover edition of 'When Elephant's weep', isbn 0-385-31425-6.
It is not connected with the other editions of this book and it has no cover image.
Thanks so much, Christina

message 2: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Caroline | 58 comments Okay, it should be set! ^^

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (m1land) | 43 comments Hi, I am a new librarian. When you go to the Maximum Ride series and click the character named Angel, it shows her as being in a ton of books. Apparently, all of the characters named Angel in every series ever written are connected to one page. Could someone separate the Maximum Ride Angel from the other Angels? I tried, but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41003 comments Mod
There is currently no way to do that, as far as I know.

message 5: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 590 comments All you can do is make sure you use full names, whenever available.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (m1land) | 43 comments Ok, thanks. I have figured out how to split characters if you change the names. Is it standard policy to change a character's name to Character (Series) in order to keep characters separate? For example, to call one Angel "Angel (Maximum Ride)" and another "Angel (X-men)"? Or should I just leave them as they are until we learn a character's full name?

message 7: by Cait (last edited Mar 23, 2010 01:03PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Using the series name sounds like a good way to disambiguate to me.

message 8: by willaful (new)

willaful I changed a character's name character to the full name and he's still showing up all sorts of other odd places -- how do I split him off?

message 9: by Kara (new)

Kara Babcock (tachyondecay) | 62 comments Willaful wrote: "I changed a character's name character to the full name and he's still showing up all sorts of other odd places -- how do I split him off?"

Changing the character's name doesn't change the books to which he or she is attached. Probably the best way of handling it is to delete the character from the book in question, then add a new character with the proper name. If the new character is already in the database (say, from another book in the series) you should get a dropdown suggestion.

I too like Michael's idea of parenthetical series indicators.

message 10: by willaful (new)

willaful This one's a standalone. I'll try deleting and re-adding.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41003 comments Mod
Ben wrote: "I too like Michael's idea of parenthetical series indicators. "

So do I. Someone want to start a thread in the manual additions folder with suggested language on this?

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael (m1land) | 43 comments Ok, I'm glad that you guys like my idea! :) I fixed Angel from the Maximum Ride Series, but I haven't found any other characters that needed to be fixed this way (I have been able to fix several other series by adding last names). I will work on writing some stuff for the manual additions folder (unless someone else is already doing it).