THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Interesting Experiments

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Has anybody tried anything on Goodreads recently that is a little out of the box (for lack of a better term)? Any interesting experiments using the Author Program? I don't even really care if they were successful or not, I'm just interested in people who are trying stuff.

message 2: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) | 110 comments I'm too new to Goodreads to have done anything much bar say hi to people but I'm always open to ideas.

message 3: by Rohit (new)

Rohit Bhargava (rohitbhargava) | 1 comments Hi Patrick,

I have an idea to do something a bit different as a promotion on Goodreads that I thought I'd share. The short version of the idea is this: instead of talking about what my upcoming book is about and trying to sell it, I want to take people inside what I did to write it.

People on Goodreads love books. I think many of them aspire to write one themselves one day. But often authors don't share the real story on what it takes to write one. Since my book doesn't come out till May, I wanted to do a virtual event to give people an inside look at how I wrote and sold it.

What did my book proposal to Wiley look like? What books did I refer to and how did I research? What about interviews? Did I hand edit stuff or just use the computer? These are the sorts of things I want to try and give people a chance to ask and learn about, as well as give them an inside look at what it takes to market and promote a book.

To make this more interesting, I am also partnering with a new virtual book tour platform that is just in Beta right now, so this will be a first for both of us - but I thought the Goodreads community would be one that would really get excited and interested in something like this, because it is a big experiment and hasn't really been done before.

I'd love for you to participate or get any advice you have to offer about it. I've read several of your blog posts and the one about how people discover books was super useful for me as an author. My aim is to try this as a new way for people to discover a book - and host the virtual event either later this month or early next month. Any thoughts you have or suggestions would be welcome - I really respect your advice and expertise.

Rohit (rohitaustralia@gmail.com)

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Merrell (suemerrell) | 4 comments This isn't exactly outside the box, but I've been reading posts and making friends. I'm talking about books I like and don't like, reading what others have to say, following up on their ideas for promotions. I've been making friends with people just because we like the same books and then finding out we have more in common. I've been offering words of encouragement because that's something we all need. I've been downloading books of other Goodreads authors or adding their works to my to-read shelf. Writing never was just about sales; it has always been about connecting with other people.

message 5: by Vannessa (new)

Vannessa Anderson (vannessaanderson) Patrick wrote: "Has anybody tried anything on Goodreads recently that is a little out of the box (for lack of a better term)? Any interesting experiments using the Author Program? I don't even really care if they ..."

I plan to participate in Goodreads advertising later this year.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Yeko (cherylyeko) | 2 comments I purchased a "pay per click" ad for, Protecting Rose. But, so far it hasn't seemed to do much.

message 7: by Janny (last edited Mar 05, 2012 08:37AM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 17 comments Things that I wish I could do that are 'outside the current box' - if there were a feature.

A clickable place on a book's page for an 'author statement' - that might provide\allow me to provide information such as: what inspired the book, when in the author's career it was written, and what SORT of reader the author had in mind as a target audience, where the research was done - things pertinent to that book - (with perhaps) the option for a html link the author could provide to a free sample excerpt.

The reader/user would only click to look there if they were interested in the title, or knowing more about it after reading, so it wouldn't be intrusive.

For me, it would satisfy professional etiquette - scratch the itch of giving the author an ethical, friendly place to comment on the book in a helpful way to readers - since it's always been (for my career mileage, anyway) considered professional etiquette NOT to EVER comment on a reader's opinions or on reviews - since the internet now allows all this reader review and opinion, unfiltered, in the open - but nowhere is there a place provided to ALLOW the author to offer their own input that isn't going to offend readers in some way.

I enjoy GoodReads mostly as a reader and have only participated as author in filling my author page, or discussions where a title of mine was voted in by readers and I was invited to be there/or in cases where I was asked a direct question by a reader.

I think this is a great site and a job well done on the part of the organizers.

Anything that will get the right readers interested in the right books is a good thing. As a writer who focuses on intricately layered plot lines a bit off the beaten track I'd definitely like to steer YA readers AWAY from my books - or discourage readers only looking for simple fluff, since that is not my target readership.

Treat this comment as 'wishlist' since I realize my wants may not align with the preferences of the site designers.

message 8: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Rohit wrote: "To make this more interesting, I am also partnering with a new virtual book tour platform that is just in Beta right now, so this will be a first for both of us - but I thought the Goodreads community would be one that would really get excited and interested in something like this, because it is a big experiment and hasn't really been done before."

This sounds interesting. What goes into a virtual tour? Is it on video? How do they get people to attend?

In general, it sounds like several people would like a place on their book pages to talk about their book that isn't a review space. Is that correct? We've floated that idea before, but people were lukewarm on it, so I'm interested to see it brought up here.

message 9: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 17 comments Patrick: Nothing in the world is more hokey (or unprofessional) than an author doing a 'review' of their own work. An unobtrusive place where a reader could choose to access information would be great - as an option. Not every author need use it. Not every reader need click on it.

As a READER, I am much more open to information given about a book if I can pursue it by free will choice, where marketing and advertising in general tend to turn me off. The 'treat others as you'd wish to treat yourself' principle suggests such a feature may be useful.

One of the biggest drivers is human curiosity, and one of the most often asked questions (of authors at interviews and panels and appearances) is 'where do you get your ideas?' - I can see a lot of possibilities of benefit to readers if an author could legitimately comment on a book in an unobtrusive way/but absolutely not!!! (shudder of horror) as a review.

message 10: by Kit (new)

Kit Frazier (kitfrazier) | 9 comments Patrick wrote: "Has anybody tried anything on Goodreads recently that is a little out of the box (for lack of a better term)? Any interesting experiments using the Author Program? I don't even really care if they ..."

I started a newsletter, and I get a nice bump in sales the day it goes out . . .

message 11: by Kit (new)

Kit Frazier (kitfrazier) | 9 comments also, my blog brings in a pretty good bit of business, but it's kind of time consuming . . . you can check it out at www.kitfrazier.com/wordpress

message 12: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 30 comments As a reader, I'd love to hear the author's take on what the target audience is. Things like "does the young protagonist mean it's intended for a YA audience?" or "does your paranormal book lean more towards sf/fantasy or romance?"

message 13: by Kit (new)

Kit Frazier (kitfrazier) | 9 comments mlady_rebecca wrote: "As a reader, I'd love to hear the author's take on what the target audience is. Things like "does the young protagonist mean it's intended for a YA audience?" or "does your paranormal book lean mor..."

I think for marketing purposes, yes, but i loved Secret Life of Bees so much when it first came out i gave it to all my family members for Christmas--and Hunger Games, and of course, Harry Potter . . .

message 14: by Kit (new)

Kit Frazier (kitfrazier) | 9 comments Sue wrote: "This isn't exactly outside the box, but I've been reading posts and making friends. I'm talking about books I like and don't like, reading what others have to say, following up on their ideas for p..."

i agree--we probably should all be doing a bit more of that, not only for our own purposes, but also, to support each other...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Patrick wrote: "Has anybody tried anything on Goodreads recently that is a little out of the box (for lack of a better term)? Any interesting experiments using the Author Program? I don't even really care if they ..."

not really a Goodreads-trial...but has anyone tried using 4x9 rack cards instead of bookmarks? Cost about the same, fit into even smaller books, lot more info! And am looking for best-price printer. Can contact me directly at liamthriller@gmail.com... thanks!

message 16: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Llorca | 34 comments @Patrick,etc. Vista Print always. FedEx Kinko's even uses them.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

thanks...already ordered them from VistaPrint, Virginia.. after checking around, it looked like they were the best...so we agree! thanks again...Liam

message 18: by Allan (new)

Allan Holender | 4 comments Rohit wrote: "Hi Patrick,

I have an idea to do something a bit different as a promotion on Goodreads that I thought I'd share. The short version of the idea is this: instead of talking about what my upcoming b..."

This was very informative, perhaps we could share the url's of these new platforms. Even though it is in beta form, maybe we can all benefit. I am working with Learn It Live and they have been extremely helpful in putting together a "book salon" event, where I can interact with the participants. I've also heard of blog book tours. So I'm sure there are many other ideas we can share. Above all I look for professionalism, customer care and follow up and I have been very pleased with both at Learn It live (this is not a paid commercial announcement).

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (normalgirl) | 398 comments Wow. You all sound so professonal and wise. Do you have any advice for a young author trying to make her way in the industry through self publishing such as myself?
I have found out that the more fans you make, the more friends you make or vice versa. I self published a poems/short story book in July and have sold 10 copies so far! It is so much more than I hoped for and a couple purchased them by looking on goodreads. The internet spreads your book fast. My book Never Enough is on several sites including a cheerleading website which to me is very bizarr.