What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > A book for older girls. Matthew and Libby. Could be an omnibus, three books in one. Some mild romance near the end.

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) Hi everyone! I'm looking for a book with a heroine called Libby. It was a book for older girls. We'd borrowed it from the British Council library back in the late 60s/early 70s. Quite a huge tome, bound, so I never saw the cover. It might have been an omnibus of 3 books. She meets a boy called Matthew and there are some mildly romantic passages towards the end. That's all I can remember. Does this ring any bells? For some unknown reason, I never got to finish the book, but have yearned to know how it ends, all these years!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Harini, are you still looking for this book or omnibus?

message 3: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) Yes, I am! Please let me know if you can identify it!

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Harini--if you bump your thread up every month or two, it will keep it in peoples minds, so if they find one like it while out-and-about they might make a note of the name and post it for you.

Also, if you don't enter any posts in your thread in 2 years, then the thread will be moved down to Abandoned.

It might take a while, but if you do keep bumping it, sooner or later it will be ID'ed. I had one that took 3 years of my bumping it routinely before it was ID'ed. But it WAS id'ed. So, keep your toes crossed and use your fingers to bump the thread. :O)

message 5: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) I posted this over a year ago, and am still looking for this book. Can anyone help?

Hi everyone! I'm looking for a book with a heroine called Libby. It was a book for older girls. We'd borrowed it from the British Council library back in the late 60s/early 70s. Quite a huge tome, bound, so I never saw the cover. It might have been an omnibus of 3 books. She meets a boy called Matthew and there are some mildly romantic passages towards the end. That's all I can remember. Does this ring any bells? For some unknown reason, I never got to finish the book, but have yearned to know how it ends, all these years!

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
That's it Harini, every 30 to 60 days bump it up. :o)

Still no idea what it is, but hopefully someone will be able to ID it.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Just fyi, no need to repeat your original query - a simple 'bump' will do. :)

message 8: by Serendi (last edited Dec 06, 2013 12:30AM) (new)

Serendi I actually kinda like repeating the query - I open all threads with new messages to clear them, but often don't cursor up to the earlier posts on a "bump" thread, especially on my iPad. Having the query Right There means I'll probably read it.

ETA: It has just occurred to me that I don't have to hit "new". I do that in most forums because it takes me right to the most recent post, and with many many posts you want that. But these threads tend to be short. Hmm....

message 9: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Just fyi, no need to repeat your original query - a simple 'bump' will do. :)"

How do you do that?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Harini wrote: "Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Just fyi, no need to repeat your original query - a simple 'bump' will do. :)"

How do you do that?"

Just type "bump."

message 11: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) Ok, thanks!

message 12: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Catherine Woolley published several books about Libby around that time period. I don't know if there's a Matthew involved or not, although they seem to be more mysteries than romances.

Look Alive, Libby!
Libby Shadows a Lady
Libby's Uninvited Guest.

message 13: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) Thanks Andria, but this doesn't look like it. For one thing, my Libby and Matthew would have been British, not American. Also, the reviews don't sound anything like what I remember, which is admittedly very little.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I know Harini is still active on GR, so here's a bump for her. :)

message 15: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) Wow, thanks Cheryl! That's really kind of you! I keep thinking about Matthew and Libby off and on still, but am too busy/lazy to do anything about it.

message 16: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 945 comments Looking After Libby by Pamela Brown? "a girl looks for her sister and finds the awe inspiring London of 'clubs, pop groups & strange eastern religions'" It's the tale of 16 year old Unity chasing all over 1970's London in search of her free-spirit younger sister Liberty (Libby of the title). So probably not...

Try this list?

message 17: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) Hi everyone! I'm looking for a book with a heroine called Libby. It was a book for older girls. We'd borrowed it from the British Council library back in the late 60s/early 70s. Quite a huge tome, bound, so I never saw the cover. It might have been an omnibus of 3 books. She meets a boy called Matthew and there are some mildly romantic passages towards the end. That's all I can remember. Does this ring any bells? For some unknown reason, I never got to finish the book, but have yearned to know how it ends, all these years!

message 18: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) SparksofEmber wrote: "Looking After Libby by Pamela Brown? "a girl looks for her sister and finds the awe inspiring London of 'clubs, pop groups & strange eastern religions'" It's the tale of 16 year old Unity chasing a..."

Sorry, Sparks of Ember, I meant to reply to your message but got busy. I looked through the list but no, not the real deal. But many thanks for the suggestions!

message 19: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Harini, what time period was the book set in?
Do you remember the location the story takes place: big city, rural area, vacation spot, high school, etc?

message 20: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) I can't really remember any of those things, Tab -- guess they weren't important elements of the story. I think maybe small town/suburban setting, set around the time it was published, a not-very-dramatic family situation. Yes, I know it sounds pretty boring -- I probably want it only because I can't have it!

message 21: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) bump

message 22: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments There is the Elizabeth Gail series by Hilda Stahl
https://www.goodreads.com/series/6729...
I think it's set in USA, however.

Here is a link to Time for Love's Google books page. There is a "Mark" in the story (in case you are mis-remembering the name)
http://books.google.com/books/about/E...

In the above series, Elizabeth is called "Libby." If this is not your book, it at least helps that we can probably expand the search out to series with an "Elizabeth" as the protagonist (your book's girl may be named Elizabeth, but called Libby).

message 23: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) | 86 comments There is a British book called White Moss Rose and it has a sequel, Libby's Home Life. They're really old so probably not it, but the OCLC # is 32153423 if you want to have a look.

message 24: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) Tab and Mindy, it's neither of those, but thanks for the suggestions. This book is really elusive!

message 25: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking, Harini?

message 26: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) Given up, Lobstergirl 😑

message 27: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

You don't have to give up, you can keep bumping this indefinitely (every few months) to get new members looking at it. You never know when the right person might spot your thread.

If you still want us to move this to Abandoned however, we can do that. Up to you.

message 28: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Harini left the group. Moving to Abandoned.